Options

Someone oughtta ooopen up a [chat] thread

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Poul Anderson’s The Broken Sword is also excellent and a less well-known classic of fantasy.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    It’s not as though you need to use the lime if you don’t like it, Tyler
    i'm just saying they shouldn't charge me for the lime unless I ask for the lime

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Popular opinion: please stop allowing Tyler Conway to make stupid posts, social media services

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    I don’t believe in dragging randos on twitter but what the shit

Dear seafood restaurants, please stop including lemons with your fish, because I am a moron.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Hello, "natural supplements" company marketing cbd to white peoples' dogs, I see you.

God I wish I had thought of that it’s fucking obvious in hindsight

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    reading terry goodkind for a girl

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Actually I think cursive has a use in the development of hand eye coordination and probably in some language retention value. Which puts is miles above test prep. Of course I also think handwritten things are something we should have kids do a lot, especially notes, because it does improve memory by forcing development of multiple connections.

Fun headline I saw today, some schools have cut lunch time down so much it is causing kids to not finish their meals.

Why?

After listening to a couple of semesters of McWHorter lectures on language, I don't think learning to write a language has any relationship to retaining it, especially not as a child.

There are some ridiculous nonsense languages out there, spoken effortlessly by kids, and not written at all, and basically impenetrable for anybody who didn't learn it as a child.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Hello, "natural supplements" company marketing cbd to white peoples' dogs, I see you.

my dog is on a buttload of trazidone for his anxiety and hyperactivity. I've had multiple people suggest CBD and I'm like "I don't think that does what you think it does, my dog doesn't have joint pain..."

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

uhh uhh CBD wine?

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Good fantasy, can't be arsed to check what has been mentioned already:

Earthsea, also any other fantasy by LeGuin, though overall she writes way more SF
    Long Price Quartet
    ASOIAF, three first books are better 'objectively' but I still like the later ones, meandering and nonsense-filled as they are
    Little, Big
    Neverwhere
    Bridge of Birds
    Terry Pratchett though that is its own entire sub-genre
    Name of the Wind, mabe its actually good, maybe I just have too much pro magic school bias
    Speaking of, the Magicians
    Lies of Locke Lamora
    Guy Gavriel Kay - Tigana, but also all the other pseudo-historical ones. Maybe Fionavar Tapestry is good but its been too long.
    Best Served Cold
    NK Jemisin
    City of Stairs
    Baru Cormorant

Might add more later as I think of them.

Oh I forgot name of the wind because that migrated to the shelf in the other room, but of course it kicks ass

Fionavar tapestry was p bad when I tried reading it a couple years ago.

City of stairs is almost good but not quite to me, although most people really like it

NK Jemisin objectively good but stressful to read

Neverwhere I think is bad, not a good take on Everyman/weird London, or maybe I just don’t like that genre

Long price was thoroughly mediocre and missed the chance to do cool things with its setting and setup

Asoiaf is fun

—hot takes with credeiki

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    We need to figure out how to stop parts of east Asia from wanting ground up rhinoceros horn and shit before I have energy remaining to turn on white people woo woo whims

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    I'd be remiss if I didn't plug Morgan's A Land Fit for Heroes, because Morgan

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    We need to figure out how to stop parts of east Asia from wanting ground up rhinoceros horn and shit before I have energy remaining to turn on white people woo woo whims

But chu through the power of twitter we can hate on everyone simultaneously

There is no one who we cannot hate

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Hot take: requests aren't opinions and even if the intended read is obvious it's important to make a distinction

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

what about specific celebs who we deem perfect and without flaw

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    It's weird right now on the internet because I'm having 2004 flashbacks of not joining WoW early enough and then feeling like I've missed the boat entirely and it's impossible to catch up to anyone I'd want to MMO with.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »

Anna Kendrick!

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    wazilla wrote: »

uhh uhh CBD wine?

I think this exists actually

• Options
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    It's weird right now on the internet because I'm having 2004 flashbacks of not joining WoW early enough and then feeling like I've missed the boat entirely and it's impossible to catch up to anyone I'd want to MMO with.

The earlier that sets in the more convenient it is

"Just completely passed me by, farewell friends, if you can even see me waving goodbye from the faroff lands you now explore"

"We're level five, asshole!"

"Alas, never the twain shall meet."

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I'm getting cold sweats.

Like maybe just a taste, I could roll a rogue, maybe play a little on the side.

Just on the weekends

cold-sweats.jpg

• Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    @eddy Most people have hit my main suggestions already, but I would add in the Tensorate series by YJ Yang. They are non-western, non-linear, and non-binary. Each one focuses on a different character and is told in a different style, but they are all really good, quick reads.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Gene Wolfe and the New Sun stuff is definitely the kind of elaborate, hostile (and possibly empty) confection that I could see Eddy enjoying

I started reading it but I dunno

It's conceptually interesting but the main character was so boring that I fell off it

I'll read some of these recommendations, probably

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hmmm what does it mean for a story to be non binary

• Options
    edited August 2019

this is false and every expansion famously allowed for a catch up as purples were turned in for greens

don't give into this

SummaryJudgment on
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    good TV shows set in an outlandish fantasy universe: The West Wing

Have you listened to "The West Wing Thing" it's a podcast I've been enjoying.
    I haven't! (I have heard some of The West Wing Weekly with Joshua Malina)

Actually you might not want to.

It's more about how The West Wing is an avatar for everything wrong with neo-liberal democratic centrism.
    oh i can both love west wing and enjoy fiery hot takes about its centrism

• Options
    P10 wrote: »

We wait patiently for the day their turn in the frozen dairy pond.

Know this Patrick Stewart; even you are not beyond my capacity to betray.

• Options
    Hmmm what does it mean for a story to be non binary

It's not written in 0s and 1s.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    I am looking at some mental health data for hospital admissions and it’s a free text field and one of the diagnoses is frotteurism

Does that mean what I think it means—look it up—yep

Wait..why are these free text and not ICD 10 codes?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I'm going to pick up NK Jemisin, I guess Time War, Control, some consensual milk,

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    I'm going to pick up NK Jemisin, I guess Time War, Control, some consensual milk,

Some days it really does feel like I leave chat with a shopping list

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    yuam94qarioz.jpeg

Too many turtles!

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Gene Wolfe and the New Sun stuff is definitely the kind of elaborate, hostile (and possibly empty) confection that I could see Eddy enjoying

I started reading it but I dunno

It's conceptually interesting but the main character was so boring that I fell off it

I'll read some of these recommendations, probably

It's got great prose and some wonderful ideas but tbh I'm not sure it's worth it

• Options
    edited August 2019
    MsAnthropy wrote: »
    Most people have hit my main suggestions already, but I would add in the Tensorate series by YJ Yang. They are non-western, non-linear, and non-binary. Each one focuses on a different character and is told in a different style, but they are all really good, quick reads.
    Oh the character in one of them starts as non-gendered and then chooses to be a dude and his twin chooses to be a lady and it causes some friction between them
    It’s a cool take on gender
    He ends up dating someone who is male but female-bodied due to religious reasons to not get a magic sex change thing
    That particular book felt like a series of sketches about this guy’s background rather than a novel per se—almost fanfictiony, if that makes sense—but I heard the other books are more fleshed out. Was a good read regardless.

Wait I was trying to quote organichu’s post also oops this is spoilers so let me spoil that

credeiki on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I don’t believe in dragging randos on twitter but what the shit

This man def ate a lot of rinds because he thought it was racist not to

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I watched an episode about a supreme court pick recently and I enjoyed it and also kinda rolled my eyes at the message I took from it that the ultimate supreme court has a fiery liberal and fiery conservative battling it out in the marketplace of ideas

also there's one part where the conservative supreme court justice pretends to be homophobic but then its all a ruse, and i'm like hoho, yes, what a delightful jest, pretending that gay people are less than human in the name of proving some point about conservatism, how very clever and endearing

wandering on
  • Options
    credeiki wrote: »
    I am looking at some mental health data for hospital admissions and it’s a free text field and one of the diagnoses is frotteurism

Does that mean what I think it means—look it up—yep

Wait..why are these free text and not ICD 10 codes?

There’s also icd codes

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Everyone: please place yourself in context, thank you.

Good morning @Winky

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Actually I think cursive has a use in the development of hand eye coordination and probably in some language retention value. Which puts is miles above test prep. Of course I also think handwritten things are something we should have kids do a lot, especially notes, because it does improve memory by forcing development of multiple connections.

Fun headline I saw today, some schools have cut lunch time down so much it is causing kids to not finish their meals.

Why?

After listening to a couple of semesters of McWHorter lectures on language, I don't think learning to write a language has any relationship to retaining it, especially not as a child.

There are some ridiculous nonsense languages out there, spoken effortlessly by kids, and not written at all, and basically impenetrable for anybody who didn't learn it as a child.

Writing and speaking are different pathways and skills.

Take it from someone whose religion has loved to historically get every one to read the language but not speak it. But I was putting more on having more practice and requirements to hand write a language helps with the skills of literacy. Not the skills of speaking.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.