Options

Someone oughtta ooopen up a [chat] thread

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    What are people's fantasy recommendations for books - not scifi, you jackbooted futurist thugs

Eddy

do me a solid and go read This is How You Lose the Time War

call it fantasy and not sci-fi if that pulls it out of the genre ghetto - its authors are fantasy authors in their other work

a little VanderMeer / Atwood sleight of hand

I love scifi but I'm looking for fantasy recs specifically for a reason none of u need to no

Eddy's impressing a laaaady

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    This is like 4 or 5 posters in a row this guy has not put anywhere on social media. I wonder if he's going to keep hiring me to make them, he doesn't seem to be trying to show them off at all.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I'm kind of worried about defusing patriarchy without sitting every 8 year old boy down and going you will milkshake duck if not for grace of God strict vigilance and call out culture

just a little latent atrocity machine, aren't you

the trick is to raise the 8 year old to respect women and treat them as autonomous beings with their own needs and wants

they aren’t latent atrocity machines, our society is fucked up

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I would love to make a joke about Eddy betraying his dignity for a woman but we all know that's the only thing he does

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    good TV shows set in an outlandish fantasy universe: The West Wing

• Options
    wandering wrote: »

Have you listened to "The West Wing Thing" it's a podcast I've been enjoying.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I would love to make a joke about Eddy betraying his dignity for a woman but we all know that's the only thing he does

fkin savage

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    What are people's fantasy recommendations for books - not scifi, you jackbooted futurist thugs

Eddy

call it fantasy and not sci-fi if that pulls it out of the genre ghetto - its authors are fantasy authors in their other work

I love scifi but I'm looking for fantasy recs specifically for a reason none of u need to no

Eddy this is a safe space you can open up about your monarchism

Yeah Eddy, you little reactionary scamp

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Also, Winky, Control is very SCP

I feel you need to know

The text you find is heavily redacted and clearly influenced by SCP, the weirdness + humour is very similar, the whole premise is a massive Keter-level containment breach from what I can tell

(and it seems to be a memetic hazard)

The way your character is kind of an ad hoc supernatural operative with some hacked together abilities from various anomalous sources feels very SCP Tales as well

At one point I found a containment chamber that contained a single jukebox in an empty room. I couldn't get in, which was probably for the best.

God fucking dammit

Now I have to buy another video game

Jesus christ

Yeah but this ones good tho so it should be okay

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    My monthly Audible Credit just went to The Fifth Season

Though I realize I still have the Quantum Thief to listen to

Rajaniemi is good stuff

you'll love the third book especially but I forsee some excited chat posting from you as you get into the series

Hmmm its use of language is weird enough that parsing it via audio might be challenging
    Sometimes it’s hard to follow even just reading it, let alone listening. Extremely high quality book though

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

I haven't! (I have heard some of The West Wing Weekly with Joshua Malina)

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

I feel you need to know

The text you find is heavily redacted and clearly influenced by SCP, the weirdness + humour is very similar, the whole premise is a massive Keter-level containment breach from what I can tell

The way your character is kind of an ad hoc supernatural operative with some hacked together abilities from various anomalous sources feels very SCP Tales as well

At one point I found a containment chamber that contained a single jukebox in an empty room. I couldn't get in, which was probably for the best.

God fucking dammit

Jesus christ

That's the problem jrx

Too many of them are good

Pls stop making good video games

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I feel you need to know

God fucking dammit

Jesus christ

That's the problem jrx

No but this is like

Good and different and not dumb

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Eddy

I loved this

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    they really charging $60 for the links awakening rerelease? that seems like a lot

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

dignity whats that

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Eddy

Wow, girlfriend literally just picked up that book yesterday.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Good fantasy, can't be arsed to check what has been mentioned already:

Earthsea, also any other fantasy by LeGuin, though overall she writes way more SF
    Long Price Quartet
    ASOIAF, three first books are better 'objectively' but I still like the later ones, meandering and nonsense-filled as they are
    Little, Big
    Neverwhere
    Bridge of Birds
    Terry Pratchett though that is its own entire sub-genre
    Name of the Wind, mabe its actually good, maybe I just have too much pro magic school bias
    Speaking of, the Magicians
    Lies of Locke Lamora
    Guy Gavriel Kay - Tigana, but also all the other pseudo-historical ones. Maybe Fionavar Tapestry is good but its been too long.
    Best Served Cold
    NK Jemisin
    City of Stairs
    Baru Cormorant

Might add more later as I think of them.

jakobagger on
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

I haven't! (I have heard some of The West Wing Weekly with Joshua Malina)

Actually you might not want to.

It's more about how The West Wing is an avatar for everything wrong with neo-liberal democratic centrism.

I like to ART
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus

Fritz Lieber’s Lankhmar books remain witty, grounded fun.

Samuel R Delaney’s Neveryona books are odd, occasionally erotic stories in one of the most realistic fantasy worlds ever made.

MJ Harrison’s Viriconium stories are strange, and unique.

Gene Wolfe’s The Wizard Knight books take hoary old ideas and make them new and interesting and mysterious.

@Eddy

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

I feel you need to know

God fucking dammit

Jesus christ

That's the problem jrx

No but this is like

Good and different and not dumb

How can that be true when it’s a video game

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    they really charging $60 for the links awakening rerelease? that seems like a lot

It's got a little dungeon maker thing too right? That might help make it worth it.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

Eddy

Wow, girlfriend literally just picked up that book yesterday.

I'm whispering her suggestions

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Or the WaPo lifestyle section is

one of those two

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Honk wrote: »

Eddy

I loved this

you have the guillotine ready in back right

That’s right eddy, just come out of the closet and be free, we all support you,

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    My monthly Audible Credit just went to The Fifth Season

Though I realize I still have the Quantum Thief to listen to

Rajaniemi is good stuff

you'll love the third book especially but I forsee some excited chat posting from you as you get into the series

Hmmm its use of language is weird enough that parsing it via audio might be challenging
    Sometimes it’s hard to follow even just reading it, let alone listening. Extremely high quality book though

I didn't really have a problem with the audiobook, but then I consume a lot of speculative fiction via audiobook, and odd language doesn't really bother me.

It sort of doesn't add a huge amount that there's some history behind Gogol or that Obilet is a memory hole. It's fairly easy to pick up on how the words are used.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I'm somewhat insulted that youtube thinks I'm part of the demographic that will buy Man Soap.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Hello, "natural supplements" company marketing cbd to white peoples' dogs, I see you.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    And of course John Crowley’s Little, Big, possibly the greatest fantasy novel ever written.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    I'm somewhat insulted that youtube thinks I'm part of the demographic that will buy Man Soap.
    as a gamer, i will die before i buy soap

• Options
    huh, Shawn Ashmore played the PC in Quantum Break

I remember him from the Animorphs show

• Options
    Gene Wolfe and the New Sun stuff is definitely the kind of elaborate, hostile (and possibly empty) confection that I could see Eddy enjoying

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Eddy it's OK I am reading Harry Potter for a girl

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Man Soup?

• Options
    Oh my god this baker Helena is basically the lady vampire from What We Do In The Shadows.

• Options
    I don’t believe in dragging randos on twitter but what the shit

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    as a gamer, i will die before i buy soap
    Ok but your mom buys you soap anyways so

Psn:wazukki
  • Options

The fuck

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    It’s not as though you need to use the lime if you don’t like it, Tyler

• Options

who doesn't like limes

Bogart hit him with the flamethrower

This discussion has been closed.