Options

Someone oughtta ooopen up a [chat] thread

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Actually I think cursive has a use in the development of hand eye coordination and probably in some language retention value. Which puts is miles above test prep. Of course I also think handwritten things are something we should have kids do a lot, especially notes, because it does improve memory by forcing development of multiple connections.

Fun headline I saw today, some schools have cut lunch time down so much it is causing kids to not finish their meals.

Why?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Actually I would probably say teaching young kids how to meditate and work through feelings and stress in a healthy manner would be an excellent use of a schools time.

We can replace looking at this list, cursive. Oh and these 50 hours of standardize test prep that do little for actual retention or critical thinking skills.

How about we cut those things and replace them with more detail on oxbow lakes

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Actually I would probably say teaching young kids how to meditate and work through feelings and stress in a healthy manner would be an excellent use of a schools time.

We can replace looking at this list, cursive. Oh and these 50 hours of standardize test prep that do little for actual retention or critical thinking skills.

Now children, meditate on the permutations of the cursive letters

Cut cursive, replace it with Marain.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    If we really want our children to succeed in the workplace what we really need are classes on how to exploit others and lie convincingly.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I keep forgetting Jerry Doyle from Babylon 5 is dead.

That cast is fucking cursed.

Good thing it didn't carry over to Penn and Teller.
    They were cursed to walk the earth as libertarian edgelords

• Options
    If we really want our children to succeed in the workplace what we really need are classes on how to exploit others and lie convincingly.

That's just high school.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Let's be honest if you raised a kid on the Rules of Acquisition they would probably do pretty well for themselves in the modern economy.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019

That's just high school.

Group assignments were preparation for management jobs.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    New Bake Off in an hour.

WHO WILL STEAL MY HEART THIS YEAR?

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Teachers would need to know how to work through feelings and stress in a healthy way in order to teach it, is the problem

That's far from common

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Let's be honest if you raised a kid on the Rules of Acquisition they would probably do pretty well for themselves in the modern economy.

not sure dishonesty or lack of ethics is any more profitable than it ever was

the modern economy is mostly notable for income inequality and lack of opportunity, I think? I mean who knows, it's hard to generalize from lived experience

sig.gif
  • Options
    redx wrote: »

That's just high school.

Group assignments we preparation for management jobs.

"Just let me do it."

Yup, checks out.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    watching mindhunter, and I think it's interesting but I'm not sure if it's actually that good. some of it bothers me.

there's definitely good stuff going on so I am sticking with it... only on episode 4 s1

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Teachers would need to know how to work through feelings and stress in a healthy way in order to teach it, is the problem

That's far from common

These are skills that can be taught.

I mean we teach teachers a bunch of things, some not really useful. Building this into licensing, continuing education, and so on would work.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

That's far from common

literacy is still taught as it was 70 years ago, I think

decentralized schooling makes improvements to education really difficult to implement

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

That's far from common

#1 and #2s school worked with child psychologists and social workers/counselors to develop a social emotional curriculum that's a subject that gets taught every day, same as math and reading

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options

That's far from common

I mean we teach teachers a bunch of things, some not really useful. Building this into licensing, continuing education, and so on would work.

i don't think it would, at all

training without enforcement tends not to cause change

people take the training and then keep doing what they've always done, in the absence of incentive

sig.gif
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    New Bake Off in an hour.

WHO WILL STEAL MY HEART THIS YEAR?

Your favourite will milkshake duck themselves

• Options

That's far from common

people take the training and then keep doing what they've always done, in the absence of incentive

The enforcement is it becomes part of the required curriculum. Its not, "teach this and give folks the option to maybe do it."

Also I wouldn't be surprised if there is an appetite for this among teachers. Its a stressful job. Giving them tools to help with that would help as well.*

*This is me pulling from my best friend who teaches at a low income high school in Arvada.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I expect some parents react to the social literacy program with worries that it's making their kids "soft" and actively undermining it with shaming and verbal abuse

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    My favorite thing is when somebody walks up with a paper form from some vendor or contractor and asks me "do you know what this means?"

how the fuck should I know

Ask them

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I expect some parents react to the social literacy program with worries that it's making their kids "soft" and actively undermining it with shaming and verbal abuse

Thats bullshit. Social literacy makes your ability to hurt someone nuch more refined.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Look there are enough horrible people EM that we can just wait for them to appear instead of needing to preemptively create them in our minds

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    my mom taught a course in feelings mediation and interpersonal problem solving for years at a public elementary school and it had a huge positive effect on students, but the school ended up cutting it because it was really expensive and none of its outcomes reflected directly in any of the performance metrics they were being judged on.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

That's far from common

The enforcement is it becomes part of the required curriculum. Its not, "teach this and give folks the option to maybe do it."

Also I wouldn't be surprised if there is an appetite for this among teachers. Its a stressful job. Giving them tools to help with that would help as well.*

*This is me pulling from my best friend who teaches at a low income high school in Arvada.

I imagine trying to get 35 students to sit still, and guide them in meditation while making sure they do not fuck with each other would in itself be pretty stressful.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    I wish I would have been taught how to deal with emotions in school instead of making myself look like a doofus whenever I was around my first crush

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Look there are enough horrible people EM that we can just wait for them to appear instead of needing to preemptively create them in our minds

Assume you'll get your mower back until proven otherwise

• Options

Creating horrible people in my mind is literally one of my favorite pastimes

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    All public school children should he given one (1) sock full of pennies. Upon reaching the 6th grade this is replaced with a really sick butterfly knife.

Students who complete the President's fitness challenge will receive an additional butterfly knife, with flame decals on the handle.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

oh yes my mom's program was constantly under attack for this by parents who were irate school time was being used for some hippie bullshit

• Options

probably, but I haven't heard any of it from the parents I've talked to. I suspect that the nature of private schooling is such that those types of parents end up taking their kids elsewhere if they really don't like it.

this school is fairly supportive of the progressive ideas of like, acceptance and celebration of multiculturalism and such.

e.g. at the yearly talent show, there was a 7th or 8th grade girl that went up and did a high energy rap performance, followed by an 8th grade boy that pranced and leapt around the stage with a ribbon (think Will Farrel in Old School) and the audience was screaming and cheering loudly for both of them

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    lol a course in feelings

what's next, classes on singing? dancing? WRITING? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Are there good music review sites? I want to be one of those people that knows when someone is dropping a new album and what all the big new music is.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    Hmm I've been eating pretty well lately and I had a light lunch

Maybe I can justify a pizza tonight

• Options
    school should teach nothing but the three Rs and keep politics out of it and also maybe sprinkle in a little christianity for flavor

• Options
    Are there good music review sites? I want to be one of those people that knows when someone is dropping a new album and what all the big new music is.

I just listen to pop radio

• Options
    Variable wrote: »
    lol a course in feelings

Those don't seem STEM focused.

• Options
    I learned all my social/emotional/interpersonal skills from math class.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Anxiety and hypochondria suck.

Not as much as actually being hurt or sick

but still

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    redx wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    lol a course in feelings

Those don't seem STEM focused.

The S in STEM stands for singing

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.