As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cyberpunk 2077, the Seizure Inducing Videogame, Released December 10

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Sure but then they have a cyber-mohel cut it off for religious reasons.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

In a lovingly rendered, fully real-time bris sequence.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Crunch? With only one option for vagians and nary a cyberdong in sight? Maybe they need to delay again just to implement more genitalia!

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Do you think you can have an organic dick with a cyber-foreskin

a cyber-foreskin is strictly an upgrade

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Do you think you can have an organic dick with a cyber-foreskin

a cyber-foreskin is strictly an upgrade

The only people who don't care about reverse robo-circumcisions are the poor souls who never experienced that pure bliss

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    "my god he installed too many cyber-foreskins... firmware conflict... he died experiencing bliss the likes of which organics will never know..."

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I'm tempted to start of as corp, but only if it's possible to intentionally burn it all down from the inside. If the story is about trying to get back into a corp for reals, and not as a Trojan horse, then forget about it.

Otherwise, it's a 50/50 tossup between the other two. Nomad is probably the one I can identify with the most because I don't live in a city IRL, so being an outsider and having to adjust to a wildly different culture is something I can relate to. Especially if I can come into it with decent computer skills, and constantly be comparing how things are presented about the city online vs. the reality on the ground.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    See the nipples and teeth is where I start to go "so like maybe you could have just not forced people to do horrible crunch because we don't really need those features."

Not to say those were the reason for the crunch, but it does imply that maybe there's a bunch of stuff that will be fun and awesome and granular but definitely not worth the human cost.

I disagree from the very depth of my soul.

There can never be too many character creation options.

I cannot wait for the Monster Factory episode on this game.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I'll probably take a quick look at the nomad start, but more likely going to go for corporate at the beginning, provided i can actually make a break from corporations when they inevitably try to screw my over.
    Do a stealthy hacker build, lot of non obvious cyberware to help stealth, hacking or taking people out silently (non lethal a bonus).
    Probably won't go for a no kill run, at first anyway, got enough of that from Deus Ex and Dishonored franchises.
    Will do a non lethal run eventually i suspect.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    el_vicio wrote: »
    The screenshots in this RPS article about Cyberpunk and RTX look so good

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/06/26/heres-a-closer-look-at-cyberpunk-2077s-rtx-tech/

I just saw a DF video looking at DSS vs native 4K and I think that just convinced me to go back to NVIDIA. That and the fact that it doesn't look like AMD has ANY answer to DSS or Ray Tracing.

Who is supplying the next gen console GPUs again?

Wait till August if you can. AMD's upcoming cards will at least push down NVIDIA prices substantially if nothing else. And its not like its going to be cheap to buy a green upgrade over a 5700 right now outside of raytracing.

DLSS 2.0 is great but game support remains a challenge precisely because AMD aka Consoles don't have it.

AMD cards haven't pushed down the price of an nvidia card substantially in years.

I'm not saying they couldn't, look what Ryzen did to Intel, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it happening.

The 2000 series are overpriced right now due to being the only raytracing game in town. And NVidia themselves are bringing a massive upgrade with Ampere to remain king when AMD brings in their competition. They are also both strangely going to be in some competition with new consoles that are approaching 2080s and will be $500 or less. This isn't a normal upgrade cycle we are looking at here.

Really if you are already sitting on something as powerful as a 5700 you should just wait and see in a few months.

I've been hearing how AMD is going to eat Nvidias lunch since Vega was announced and to date they have not made a card that can compete at the high end at all. The 5700XT is the best card they've put out and it doesnt even pass the 2080, and has zero raytracing hardware

My claim about the high end is that NVIDIA is going to remain it. But we aren't going to see 3xxxs hit for over $1000 and the 2000 series do nothing when AMD finally catches up to Turing (even as they remain behind Ampere)
    Until its silicon is in the hands of consumers or reviewers running at near 2080 speeds (with raytracing) I will not believe that they can do it.

This is more or less the PS5/Series X (in terms of RTX), so yes I'm pretty confident they will reach that bar.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Cyberpunk thread.

So my current gaming set up is:

Xbox One S

Gaming Pc with following specs:
    CPU: I5 8400
    GPU: GTI 1070ti
    RAM:16GB 2666
    SSD: 250GB
    HD:1TB

Questions:
    1. I am old and cannot tell if my PC can run Cyberpunk. The CPU throws me because my base clockspeed is 2.8 but it can boost to 4. I think it can, but what's everyone's opinion here?
    2. If it can, is it a better choice than my Xbox?

DISCUSS

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    1. 99% sure it'll be fine. That looks like a solid PC. The CPU's not the strongest but I'd be genuinely surprised if it had any problems.
    2. It might look prettier on your PC (higher res/framerate/detail), especially since you have a decent GPU, but I can't see the Xbox One S version being a trainwreck.
    3. Note: This is complete speculation, I don't know the required/recommended PC spec yet and neither does anybody outside CDPR.
    4. But if history is any indication, just pick whichever one you're more comfortable sitting playing for probably a long, long time.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Quest text from the intro stories.

https://i.redd.it/35pobvvt06851.png

Obviously spoilers for those stories as it's the quest text by the end of it. Fun to read for the options you aren't planning on picking though. Nice to see what would happen for a Nomad and Corpo but I'll skip reading the Street Kid one. Also cool to see they are still using the quest text style of updating it along the way at each phase as things happen and change.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    ED! wrote: »
    el_vicio wrote: »
    The screenshots in this RPS article about Cyberpunk and RTX look so good

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/06/26/heres-a-closer-look-at-cyberpunk-2077s-rtx-tech/

I just saw a DF video looking at DSS vs native 4K and I think that just convinced me to go back to NVIDIA. That and the fact that it doesn't look like AMD has ANY answer to DSS or Ray Tracing.

Who is supplying the next gen console GPUs again?

Wait till August if you can. AMD's upcoming cards will at least push down NVIDIA prices substantially if nothing else. And its not like its going to be cheap to buy a green upgrade over a 5700 right now outside of raytracing.

DLSS 2.0 is great but game support remains a challenge precisely because AMD aka Consoles don't have it.

AMD cards haven't pushed down the price of an nvidia card substantially in years.

I'm not saying they couldn't, look what Ryzen did to Intel, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it happening.

The 2000 series are overpriced right now due to being the only raytracing game in town. And NVidia themselves are bringing a massive upgrade with Ampere to remain king when AMD brings in their competition. They are also both strangely going to be in some competition with new consoles that are approaching 2080s and will be $500 or less. This isn't a normal upgrade cycle we are looking at here.

Really if you are already sitting on something as powerful as a 5700 you should just wait and see in a few months.

I've been hearing how AMD is going to eat Nvidias lunch since Vega was announced and to date they have not made a card that can compete at the high end at all. The 5700XT is the best card they've put out and it doesnt even pass the 2080, and has zero raytracing hardware

My claim about the high end is that NVIDIA is going to remain it. But we aren't going to see 3xxxs hit for over $1000 and the 2000 series do nothing when AMD finally catches up to Turing (even as they remain behind Ampere)
    Until its silicon is in the hands of consumers or reviewers running at near 2080 speeds (with raytracing) I will not believe that they can do it.

This is more or less the PS5/Series X (in terms of RTX), so yes I'm pretty confident they will reach that bar.

The 2000 series will do what the 1000 series before it did, quickly be sold out within a month or two of the launch of the 3000 and then disappear off the shelves, which will likely maintain similar pricing structures. Might see a 3060 go up to $400.

And are they running the PS5 on AMD silicon right now that we can get our hands on?

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I am totally fine with crunch if that means I can get a gold metal dick that can shoot a laser beam.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    If we're gonna slag on companies for doing crunch time, lol

I guess you can buy like 1-2 games on Steam. And Path of Exile.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    That's pretty much what makes it an important conversation to have, yes. The currently norm for game development is not sustainable or ethical.

• Options
    I want to be clear that, at least for me, when I bring up crunch it's not an attempt to tell people not to buy the game or to feel guilty or not excited. I own Cyberpunk already, I'm super hyped for it. I've bought plenty of other games that had horrible crunch on them. As jungle rightly points out, buying a game that wasn't produced using crunch is more or less unheard of.

Much like the horrific practices that go into most of the products we take for granted (say, smartphones), you can't really ethically source this stuff. Which, in my eyes, makes it all the more important to start normalizing this discussion. The model the game industry operates under right now can't continue in perpetuity. Something's going to give sooner or later.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I guess I have a hard time working up a ton of sympathy for people who get paid to sit at desks and make video games, even under "crunch" conditions. I will happily trade jobs (and pay) with any of them... :razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    It's not an either/or thing, though - we should be advocating for better conditions for all workers, you included, we're just discussing crunch in this context because it came up in relation to the thread's topic.

It's like when the voice actors' guild went on strike and game devs reacted with "well my job also kinda sucks, why do they deserve more?" The answer is you both deserve more because basically fuckin' every job that's not at an executive level is underpaid and overworked. Don't react to someone's crappy work conditions with "well mine are worse so I don't feel bad," react with "yo this is fucking bullshit why aren't any of us actually appreciated by our employers?" Capitalism is a broken system top to bottom.

Executives would definitely like to convince you that it is a dichotomy and you can't have better working conditions so no one else deserves them either also don't pay attention to the size of our bonuses everything is fine.

• Options
    Anyway, I don't know how much more I have to say about that, so I'm going to move away from that discussion before I start repeating myself even more than I already am!

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Yeah, I think anyone who says they'd gladly have a game dev job under crunch conditions doesn't know what a game dev job or crunch entails. It's a job. It's work. Deriding the gig as "fun and games" because they're making a video game is insulting and dangerous to the industry.

At best, it's like, enjoy 80+ hour work weeks and failing health. Also if you were promised a big bonus, your boss just might decide to not give it to you.

edit: It's "punk" to point out labor inequality.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I guess I have a hard time working up a ton of sympathy for people who get paid to sit at desks and make video games, even under "crunch" conditions. I will happily trade jobs (and pay) with any of them... :razz:

This attitude is literally what the industry runs on.

• Options
    Crunch is fucking terrible and the reason I nope'd out of the games industry.

Christ, I was only in QA as well. It's order's of magnitude worse for Devs.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular

You might not, I don't believe CDPR programmers have very high salaries—once you convert it to USD, you may make more at your current job, and once you factor in the overall hourly rate after crunch hours, you probably make much more. Like $2000/mo from the sound of it. Lower cost of living conversely, but if you spend your nights and weekends working, you're not doing much living anyway.

I'm eager to play 2077 day 1, but I can wait for day 1 to be a little later if it means letting your workers have lives.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    I work in the games industry and I can tell you that crunch sucks no matter how great the game you're working on is. One of my early jobs in the industry was a 3 month contract helping finish up a game, so they were already deep in crunch. 12 hour days 5 days a week with Saturday being an 8 hour day for the first 2 months. The last month we worked 7 days a week. I lived a 10 minute walking distance from the studio and I would just wake up in the morning, go to work, come back at the end of the day and collapse, just to start it all over again the next day. Let me tell you it drains you really fast.

I thankfully now work at a studio that does not believe in crunch. They actually looked at the 100 years of studies that show that crunch doesn't actually work. After about 2 weeks of crunch you just get negative returns on work done. It isn't sustainable, but tons of studios still do it because they say they have no other choice. The truth is most crunch is due to high level/producer level fuck ups. The scope being to big for the game or the person in charge won't make a decision on an issue or keeps flip flopping back in forth on something that should have been already decided on months or even years ago.

The games industry can be really fun and rewarding, but when a studio doesn't seem to care about the people working there and the base level workers are the ones dealing with the fuck ups from up high, it can put a big damper on it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh no, I don't think anyones gonna find any disagreement about how shit the games industry is to its employees.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    All jobs are shit. We just need to get android tech perfected so they can do all the work and humans can all just sit home and play games all day (games programmed by androids, of course), or go fishing... whatever tickles your fancy. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    All jobs are shit. We just need to get android tech perfected so they can do all the work and humans can all just sit home and play games all day (games programmed by androids, of course), or go fishing... whatever tickles your fancy. :D

hahaha no. What's going to happen is that as soon as the Owners have their android slaves, the rest of humanity will be entirely redundant/useless, and all that's left is figuring out the cheapest way of disposing of us.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

hahaha no. What's going to happen is that as soon as the Owners have their android slaves, the rest of humanity will be entirely redundant/useless, and all that's left is figuring out the cheapest way of disposing of us.

Delicious and nutritious Soylent Green.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Alright just came across this article where the person used their time to mostly ignore the story and just check out the exploration, the world and side stuff available from the start.

https://www.ign.com/articles/cyberpunk-2077-hands-on-what-i-found-while-exploring-night-city

A very nice read for getting a better idea on how the game world works without just hearing about the intro missions.

And man does that make the wait harder.

C'mon Ghost of Tsushima I need you to start filling in the time.

• Options
    Sounds like they took out wall running, which is a shame.

Apparently you can still use your blade arms to cling to walls like a creepy murderous Spider-Man prowling for victims though. Looking forward to that.

• Options
    Looking at the origins I'm definitely going Corpo
    Ex corporate counter intelligence agent, betrayed and left to die?

I'm in. Gonna be cyberpunk John Wick

• Options
    If anything happens to Jackie, I will kill everyone in Night City and then myself.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    If anything happens to Jackie, I will kill everyone in Night City and then myself.

Make sure you do it in that order !

I do wonder if the betrayal scene from last years video is a fixed point in the story, or if you can save him, go in alone, etc.

Jackie seems like a stand up guy, I’ll save him if I can.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I can already tell I'm really going to enjoy being an asshole in this game.

https://youtu.be/YtoIjNDQ2kU?t=509

at 8:30. Sooo good.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I'm sorry but...

Don't forget to leave a tip.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Choosing between corpo and street kid is going to be tough.

Both are perfect for my usual first playthrough which is as a huge douche.

I REALLY like what I've seen of the corpo intro. Its hard to beat walking out of a flying car and immediately punching somebody in the throat then walking on without saying a word.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Choosing between Corpo and Street kid is going to be tough.

Both are perfect for my usual first playthrough which is as a huge douche.

I REALLY like what I've seen of the Corpo intro. Its hard to beat walking out of a flying car and immediately punching somebody in the throat and walking on without saying a word.

I wonder if there’s an achievement for picking up the ball and scoring a basket, like in Deus Ex...

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Mwtmg's handy Cyberpunk film suggestions: aka stuff I've seen in the past 6 months during lockdown:

1. Dredd
    2. Terminator 2
    3. Robocop
    4. Blade Runner
    5. Hotel Artemis
    6. Serenity
    7. The Matrix
    8. Tron
    9. Elysium
    10. Johnny Mnemonic

Animated special mention: Ghost in the Shell
    Special mention so-bad-its-good: Nemesis (ONLY THE FIRST ONE)

manwiththemachinegun on
This discussion has been closed.