As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cyberpunk 2077, the Seizure Inducing Videogame, Released December 10

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Cruor wrote: »
    Assuming they're completely phobic also has the opposite effect. If they aren't they feel attacked and defensive, and are even less likely to change. They dismiss the concerns as an overreaction.

There actually is a middle way! I know I know it feels like you shouldn't go easy on people. But you can't change things overnight. If you push too hard, they snap back in the other direction.

If saying to someone "Hey, what you said/did was transphobic, maybe don't?" elicits them becoming even more publicly transphobic, then they were already privately transphobic. I don't buy the "calling people out for bad behavior will just make them reflexively worse!"

Like, you can say and do transphobic things without being a transphobic person. Hell, in the past, before I educated myself about trans issues, I had said some hurtful and transphobic things. I was called out for them (and rightfully so!) and decided to better myself. This is true of racist language/actions and such as well. What makes you transphobic or racist, however, is when you are told that what you did was harmful and then you say "So what I'll do it again!"

I'm talking about the artist here, not the way cyberpunk have used her image.

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2019-06-12-a-conversation-with-the-artist-behind-that-cyberpunk-2077-poster

There actually is an interview! And yeah, her intent seems to be on the level. A quote from the article: "It was meant to make people feel uncomfortable," Redesiuk concludes. "Not because they're seeing someone with breasts and a penis, but because the body is being exploited. I didn't slap the penis there for people to laugh about it. There is a beautiful body there being used to sell soda."

It's just unfortunate that CDPR has muddied that intent with all of the extra nonsense they've done with the image. I wish that if they wanted to make some salient points about gender they had hired some transgender game consultants that could point out these issues. I'm pretty sure that they didn't, however, because in character creation your character's pronouns are tied to the pitch of your voice...which isn't great. Pronoun selection should be entirely separate from any physical characteristics of your character.

Edit: Just read your edited response and yes, I think we are in agreement.

Cruor on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Rumor that Dr. Disrespect is in the game, so people can be mad about that now. Hopefully some angry wife hires you in game to kill her cheating husband and when you get to the bounty, it's the Doc and you can cap him in the melon.

• Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Rumor that Dr. Disrespect is in the game, so people can be mad about that now. Hopefully some angry wife hires you in game to kill her cheating husband and when you get to the bounty, it's the Doc and you can cap him in the melon.

CohhCarnage is in the game... I can't wait to see what they did with him. Apparently he's pretty early in too. I'm an avid CohhCarnage watcher...

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I wonder if this will elicit the same reaction from someone I know who was irrationally angry when Jessica Chobot showed up in Mass Effect 3. I suspect not.

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Cdproject, Give us a Tube-hunter cheevo for capping all the streamers ingame.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    8bfu0tw5n3kq.png
    hmm

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I've quite literally used my remaining vacation days (yay pandemic..) to make sure every single weekend in November and Dec is a 4 day weekend.

Gonna be diving into this bad boy SO HARD.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I got myself a long weekend for the release weekend, that's okay for a start.

I'm gonna play this for a while, no need to rush it.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I got myself a long weekend for the release weekend, that's okay for a start.

I'm gonna play this for a while, no need to rush it.

Oh yea. I won't be rushing anything. I only play games once so if I'm into a game I want to make sure I do every little thing I can. Even with all that I'm sure this will still take me a good month or more. And then I have enough other games coming out at the same time to keep me busy until at least March. So no worries here about running out of games to play or playing too much!

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    2 weeks off in November when this and ps5 release. My body is ready.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    If at any point I am playing this video game and DrDisrespect shows up and I do not immediately have the ability to kill him, I am uninstalling the game

I don't know why that's the line for me when everything else isn't, but I guess a straw is the thing that breaks a camel's back, so

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yeah maybe that makes me shitty, but putting him in there along with everything else really has killed my interest.

Did Siskel or Ebert ever appear in a movie?

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    I don't know who it is, I don't care who it is. I didn't know who Chobot was when ME3 put her in, but she stood out like a sore thumb. If this is handled similarly ("hey look this guy is different, wink wink, isn't that cool that we put a real person in here?") then that's going to annoy me and I'll just ignore that section as much as possible.

Otherwise Imma Jay Culter this one and just not care.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Yeah maybe that makes me shitty, but putting him in there along with everything else really has killed my interest.

Yes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Ebert#Film_and_TV_appearances .

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

I want to say Gremlins 2, but it could have been another critic.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options

I am actively offended that you appear to be equating DrDisrespect with Siskel or Ebert in any fashion!

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

I am actively offended that you appear to be equating DrDisrespect with Siskel or Ebert in any fashion!

Ha, agreed. Just meant in terms of reviewers/critics showing up in the media they are reviewing.

• Options

Ha, agreed. Just meant in terms of reviewers/critics showing up in the media they are reviewing.

I am actively offended that you appear to be equating DrDisrespect with reviewers or critics in any fashion!

(they have but then they don't review it, is how it usually works)

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options

I am actively offended that you appear to be equating DrDisrespect with reviewers or critics in any fashion!

Ha, agreed. Just meant that they are all people who view things.

• Options
    I mean, it's probably moddable to kill any game character ..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

Ha, agreed. Just meant that they are all people who view things.

I am actively offended that -- nah never mind you've broken it down enough!

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Alanah Pearce is also in the game. So I guess CDPR put a bunch of streamers in the game, probably to try to pull in those audiences, which is fairly good marketing. Pearce was allowed to say she is in the Badlands, she showed herself in a preview, and that's about it. Nothing about her quest, and I don't recall saying if she is killable, but I'd guess she wasn't allowed to say.

I'm probably lucky in that I don't know what DrDisrespect looks like.

• Options
    Now, Alanah I have absolutely no qualm with, she's great.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    DrDisrespect is controversial enough that he seems like an odd choice.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Alanah Pearce is also in the game. So I guess CDPR put a bunch of streamers in the game, probably to try to pull in those audiences, which is fairly good marketing. Pearce was allowed to say she is in the Badlands, she showed herself in a preview, and that's about it. Nothing about her quest, and I don't recall saying if she is killable, but I'd guess she wasn't allowed to say.

Picture the biggest d-bag in the world with a mustache wearing mirrored sunglasses and that's basically it.

• Options
    m!ttens wrote: »

Picture the biggest d-bag in the world with a mustache wearing mirrored sunglasses and that's basically it.

Yeah, see, I don't see the appeal.

Apparently enough people do that the guy is worth $3.5million, which is depressing.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    DrDisrespect is controversial enough that he seems like an odd choice.

Yeah I really don't get this one. A lot of people really dislike him with good cause. He filmed children in a public restroom. Maybe don't put this person in your video game.

I actually did cancel my preorder until there's some clarity on this situation because yikes guys.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    As long as I get to off any annoying youtubers I’ll be happy. Also keep in mind that some of these people will be gated behind your origin choice. For example, I believe Alanah Pearce can only be found if you’re a nomad.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    they're going to have to work hard to beat the piece de resistance that is Game Grumps' cameo in House Party

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

Diet Macho Man Randy Savage meets the backup bassist from Kid Rock's touring band.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I guess I'm lucky I don't watch streamers, so I have no idea who any of those jerks are.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I guess I'm lucky I don't watch streamers, so I have no idea who any of those jerks are.

I don't either but DrDisrespect stands out as being just the creme de la creme of streamer douchecanoes.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    HE FILMED

CHILDREN

IN A BATHROOM

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Hashtag notallstreamers.
    Disrespect is a Shock Jock, that's his entire description.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    HE FILMED

CHILDREN

IN A BATHROOM

Guy's a stupid dumbshit for livestreaming from a public restroom on top of being shitty person who cheated on his wife but filming children in a bathroom is only technically correctly here with one person being 17 that got caught in the filming it looks like.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Incindium wrote: »
    HE FILMED

CHILDREN

IN A BATHROOM

Guy's a stupid dumbshit for livestreaming from a public restroom on top of being shitty person who cheated on his wife but filming children in a bathroom is only technically correctly here with one person being 17 that got caught in the filming it looks like.

Why are you "only technically correct" defending someone who filmed a public bathroom?

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    HE FILMED

CHILDREN

IN A BATHROOM

Why are you "only technically correct" defending someone who filmed a public bathroom?

Because that narrative tries to make him out as some sort of pedophile when being a dirtbag who livestreams from a bathroom is what actually happened. What he did was bad enough. No need to sensationalize it.

This is the kind of thing that makes people dismiss the whole accusation because of an aspect of it being sensationalized.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    HE FILMED

CHILDREN

IN A BATHROOM

You really do not need to carry water for this person and I implore you not to die on this extremely bad hill.

• Options
    HE FILMED

CHILDREN

IN A BATHROOM

Because that narrative tries to make him out as some sort of pedophile when being a dirtbag who livestreams from a bathroom is what actually happened. What he did was bad enough. No need to sensationalize it.

No I mean

Sensationalize it more.

"I didn't know there'd be a KID in that public bathroom before I filmed in it" is not the kind of defense you think it is.

• Options
    HE FILMED

CHILDREN

IN A BATHROOM

This is the kind of thing that makes people dismiss the whole accusation because of an aspect of it being sensationalized.

I understand where you're coming from but I ask you to consider why you feel the need to say this when you don't even like the guy

It's one of those situations where "this guy's not a pedo he just filmed people in a public bathroom and one of them happened to be underage" is a thing you think to yourself and then don't bother putting into words because it's energy best spent doing literally anything else

signature-deffo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.