As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cyberpunk 2077, the Seizure Inducing Videogame, Released December 10

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    DrDisrespect is controversial enough that he seems like an odd choice.

Not once you circle back to "CDPR is actually a problematic game company and there's a culture problem that's really surfacing with all these transphobia, misogyny, and racism concerns."

If you remember that part, then, "Let's put the shock streamer who filmed a kid peeing in the bathroom and live streamed it" kind of fits the flow.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Incindium wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    HE FILMED

CHILDREN

IN A BATHROOM

Guy's a stupid dumbshit for livestreaming from a public restroom on top of being shitty person who cheated on his wife but filming children in a bathroom is only technically correctly here with one person being 17 that got caught in the filming it looks like.

Why are you "only technically correct" defending someone who filmed a public bathroom?

Because that narrative tries to make him out as some sort of pedophile when being a dirtbag who livestreams from a bathroom is what actually happened. What he did was bad enough. No need to sensationalize it.

This is the kind of thing that makes people dismiss the whole accusation because of an aspect of it being sensationalized.

I understand where you're coming from but I ask you to consider why you feel the need to say this when you don't even like the guy

It's one of those situations where "this guy's not a pedo he just filmed people in a public bathroom and one of them happened to be underage" is a thing you think to yourself and then don't bother putting into words because it's energy best spent doing literally anything else

Aside from the truth you mean?

EDIT: Maybe truth is a strong word, but is saying 'we shouldn't call someone a pedophile because he's really not' that bad of an idea? I mean, I guess that is par for the course these days. Doesn't have to be.

Bigity on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    HE FILMED

CHILDREN

IN A BATHROOM

Guy's a stupid dumbshit for livestreaming from a public restroom on top of being shitty person who cheated on his wife but filming children in a bathroom is only technically correctly here with one person being 17 that got caught in the filming it looks like.

Why are you "only technically correct" defending someone who filmed a public bathroom?

Because that narrative tries to make him out as some sort of pedophile when being a dirtbag who livestreams from a bathroom is what actually happened. What he did was bad enough. No need to sensationalize it.

This is the kind of thing that makes people dismiss the whole accusation because of an aspect of it being sensationalized.

I understand where you're coming from but I ask you to consider why you feel the need to say this when you don't even like the guy

It's one of those situations where "this guy's not a pedo he just filmed people in a public bathroom and one of them happened to be underage" is a thing you think to yourself and then don't bother putting into words because it's energy best spent doing literally anything else

EDIT: Maybe truth is a strong word, but is saying 'we shouldn't call someone a pedophile because he's really not' that bad of an idea? I mean, I guess that is par for the course these days. Doesn't have to be.

You'll note that no one actually said that, they only said the thing that he did, which was film an underage person in a public bathroom

If someone were to draw their own conclusion from that, would their following action really be that different than it would if you clarified the exact nature of what he did

Again I question the amount of ink being spilled in the name of such truth on the Penny Arcade gaming subforum

Anyway let's all hold hands and send our energy into the universe that he's not actually in the video game and this is some other bit of promotion that compromises the enjoyment of the product a little less

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Not once you circle back to "CDPR is actually a problematic game company and there's a culture problem that's really surfacing with all these transphobia, misogyny, and racism concerns."

If you remember that part, then, "Let's put the shock streamer who filmed a kid peeing in the bathroom and live streamed it" kind of fits the flow.

ehhhh. Cohh Carnage and Jesse Cox both provide their voices and/or likenesses, and neither of them are known for being anything of the sort. I don't know much about Alanah Pearce.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

ehhhh. Cohh Carnage and Jesse Cox both provide their voices and/or likenesses, and neither of them are known for being anything of the sort. I don't know much about Alanah Pearce.

So not literally everything they do is bad, but several things they do are bad. That's how bad culture organizations work? CDPR isn't a moustache-twirling villain company deliberately doing everything evil they can. They're a blithely -ist company making a series of norm-reinforcing decisions that are harmful and bad in the same toxic background noise as a ton of other stuff.

But then it also comes back to a company with a lot of reputation and goodwill from consumers making a Cyberpunk game, and then being more like a mega-corp villain and not at all progressive.

It's not a good look!

I know a ton of people are going to buy and play the game, as we all do. But I don't think you can have read this thread and still say there's an argument that they're not at least somewhat culturally toxic as a company.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    What are you talking about you can have an argument about anything.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Drdisrespect is stupid even putting aside the bathroom thing. He's spread dangerous covid misinformation and seems to be pretty racist on top of it all, having made up how own fake asian language to mock asian stereotypical accents

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

No you can't
    PARADOX

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

No you can't
    PARADOX
    SNAAAAAAKE

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    jammu was warned for this.
    Bigity wrote: »
    HE FILMED

CHILDREN

IN A BATHROOM

You'll note that no one actually said that, they only said the thing that he did, which was film an underage person in a public bathroom

Stop it. You should be fucking ashamed.
    You made a serious accusation by 'implying' he is.
    I could say you were uncomfortably focused on a peeing minor on a streams background, except I doubt you've even seen the clip.

Sterica on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I guess I'm lucky I don't watch streamers, so I have no idea who any of those jerks are.

Alanah Pearce is the only one named here I've ever watched, and she is grade A 100% awesome. I've not watched her streaming, that I recall, just some of her YouTube stuff; and while I can literally count the number of people I'm subscribed to on YT on one hand, she's one of them. She was about the only reason I would still pay attention to IGN until she left, and I'm glad she's doing well for herself since then.

I don't tend to seek out jerks, oddly enough. Not like they're a rare commodity on the internet anyway.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Aside from any controversy...I just don't want to run into a bunch of streamers or famous people in a videogame, anyway?

Like, I don't have an issue with Keanu Reeves, it's an actual actor portraying an important character, no problem. But I don't want to see a bunch of d-list "influencer" celebrities cropping up in wink-wink cameos throughout my escapism because they're bartering with exposure.

Porsche, a bunch of streamers, next there'll be in-universe Mountain Dew billboards all over the city.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Aside from any controversy...I just don't want to run into a bunch of streamers or famous people in a videogame, anyway?

Like, I don't have an issue with Keanu Reeves, it's an actual actor portraying an important character, no problem. But I don't want to see a bunch of d-list "influencer" celebrities cropping up in wink-wink cameos throughout my escapism because they're bartering with exposure.

Porsche, a bunch of streamers, next there'll be in-universe Mountain Dew billboards all over the city.

Yeah I didn't realize they had a whole cast of streamers. That feels a little "how do you do fellow kids, we also like The Twitch, we are hip."

Like I'm sure mostly it was just intended as good fun, here are some gaming personalities, but I feel like it's going to be pretty immersion breaking.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The upside for myself is that, unless those "streamer characters" have some stupid overt connection to their real-world Twitch crap, I will have zero clue that they're an annoying advertising thing because I would have to actually expend effort to care less about Twitch streamers. Naturally, I have no fucking clue who any of them are.

If they mesh with the setting, they'll just be like any other character for me. So there's zero impact here in my case, unless the characters are running around with awful big neon "check out my Twitch!" signs or something.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    This has gotten incredibly off-topic, so let’s stop talking about twitch weirdos unless they’re doing a thing with 2077

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    This has gotten incredibly off-topic, so let’s stop talking about twitch weirdos unless they’re doing a thing with 2077

...everyone we've mentioned is a character in the game, hence why they came up :P

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I understand that, but we don’t need it to be all about one dude and litigating what he has done.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I think at this point we've already moved to bitching about "and guest-starring all your favorite streamers!"* in general.

(* I don't have any, because I am an Old.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options

...everyone we've mentioned is a character in the game, hence why they came up :P

Well, so far we have actual confirmation of Alanah and an unconfirmed rumor abour DrD. Am I forgetting someone else?

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »

Well, so far we have actual confirmation of Alanah and an unconfirmed rumor abour DrD. Am I forgetting someone else?

Jesse Cox is in the game apparently.

• Options
    edited October 2020

Don't know him so no real opinion here. However, looking at his Wiki, he's done some voice acting before, including in The Witcher 3. He may be a quest-giver in Cyberpunk. So doesn't seem like a bad inclusion.

Jazz on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular

Don't know him so no real opinion here. However, looking at his Wiki, he's done some voice acting before, including in The Witcher 3. He may be a quest-giver in Cyberpunk. So doesn't seem like a bad inclusion.

And CohhCarnage. I recommend catching a stream of his. He used to be a radio DJ turned twitch streamer. He streamed 1000 days straight at one point (8 hour days).

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    Dyvion wrote: »

And CohhCarnage. I recommend catching a stream of his. He used to be a radio DJ turned twitch streamer. He streamed 1000 days straight at one point (8 hour days).

I don't know him either, but that sounds like a recommendation - and that he's also a crazy person :lol:

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Dyvion wrote: »

I don't know him either, but that sounds like a recommendation - and that he's also a crazy person :lol:

He calmed down his schedule a fair bit now that he has two kids, but he normally streams during daytime business hours so I'm not surprised if you haven't. He averages about 12-13k viewers though so he's on the popular side.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

I don’t watch any streamers, so it’s doubtful I’ll recognise any of them.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

Yeah I didn't realize they had a whole cast of streamers. That feels a little "how do you do fellow kids, we also like The Twitch, we are hip."

Like I'm sure mostly it was just intended as good fun, here are some gaming personalities, but I feel like it's going to be pretty immersion breaking.

Luckily I have no idea who any of those are, and only know a bit about Dr Disrespect from him being in the media for being an asshole.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I honestly think CDPR might come to regret putting some of these people in their game. At least Alanah does some voice acting. I figure either some of these people will self destruct very publicly and become hideously toxic, or just lose relevance and cause portions of the game to age poorly. There was already backlash in China over a streamer cameo that caused that person to quit their role.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Eh- If it's voice acting, people will barely notice. And honestly many streamers have a somewhat trained voice

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    I am goddamn awful with pc specs, can someone please tell me if the below is ok to run this?

Processor (CPU): Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-9400 (2.9GHz) 9MB Cache
    Motherboard: ASUS® TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
    Memory (RAM): 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 8GB)
    Graphics Card: 6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 SUPER - HDMI, DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
    Storage Drive: 500GB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 120 2.5" SSD, (up to 560MB/sR | 540MB/sW)
    Power Supply: CORSAIR 450W CV SERIES™ CV-450 POWER SUPPLY

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Nobody can answer that until the game comes out. In principle those almost get you to the recommended requirements, which means you can play the game. But, as Tom's Hardware points out, nobody really knows what kind of performance you'd be looking at. When the game comes out people can benchmark it. Until then you can either trust CDPR or wait.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    101 wrote: »
    I am goddamn awful with pc specs, can someone please tell me if the below is ok to run this?

Processor (CPU): Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-9400 (2.9GHz) 9MB Cache
    Motherboard: ASUS® TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
    Memory (RAM): 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 8GB)
    Graphics Card: 6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 SUPER - HDMI, DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
    Storage Drive: 500GB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 120 2.5" SSD, (up to 560MB/sR | 540MB/sW)
    Power Supply: CORSAIR 450W CV SERIES™ CV-450 POWER SUPPLY

I think you'll be fine.

As long as you're not expecting ray tracing 4k ultra. This game is meant to run on Xbox one S so you'll be fine. Worst case, some of your graphical detail will be set to "high".

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    I like how "high" graphics settings have just straight up become medium now.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I like how "high" graphics settings have just straight up become medium now.

The future is now, old man.

But in all seriousness, my PC specs are pretty similar to @101 (I have a slightly better GPU but he has the new model of my CPU). It'll be fine, we all just need to adjust our expectations. They only showcase the super high-end settings so as long as you don't expect that, you're gravy.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Yea and let's just note the literal only reason any of the Dr Douchebag talk is happening is from a tweet he made. He didn't even say anything specific just made a tweet that could be taken as him being involved in something. Nothing confirmed. No further details.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I hope we get to smash that like and subscribe button that is various streamers melons in game, and yes, there should be an achievement called Stream sniper or similar of course.

The Dr. D thing came from either IGN or some other gaming website as a rumor.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    I hope we get to smash that like and subscribe button that is various streamers melons in game, and yes, there should be an achievement called Stream sniper or similar of course.

The Dr. D thing came from either IGN or some other gaming website as a rumor.

Right, and that source of that rumor is his tweet like I said above. That's all it takes to make an article these days I guess..

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yea and let's just note the literal only reason any of the Dr Douchebag talk is happening is from a tweet he made. He didn't even say anything specific just made a tweet that could be taken as him being involved in something. Nothing confirmed. No further details.

Id rather voice my concerns to CDPRs PR team at the merest possibility of him being in the game rather than let them think this is a good idea.

• Options

Id rather voice my concerns to CDPRs PR team at the merest possibility of him being in the game rather than let them think this is a good idea.

For sure. On the off chance he is I hope there's some statement made about it. There's a bunch of different ways it can go from here. He could be there. He could not be there. He could be removed. He could have been recorded and not used. Hopefully either he isn't there or they choose the correct path about what to do if he was ever there to begin with.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    DrDisrespect being in this is absolutely a no brainer for CDPR if they are going after streamers and his look certainly fits a lot more than the other cameos we have seen so far (Cohh doesn't really look like Cohh beyond the glasses and beard and Alanah just looked like a white gal in the badlands).
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I guess I'm lucky I don't watch streamers, so I have no idea who any of those jerks are.

I don't either but DrDisrespect stands out as being just the creme de la creme of streamer douchecanoes.

I mean. . .that is the point. Guy Beahm != DrDisrespect.
    HE FILMED

CHILDREN

IN A BATHROOM

You really do not need to carry water for this person and I implore you not to die on this extremely bad hill.

Doesn't seem like they are "carrying water" so much as correctly describing the situation. "He filmed children. . ." makes it seem like he literally went into a bathroom to film kids instead of getting caught up in a spectacular livestream fail. It is fine to not like the man or his character, but at least be honest about the situation.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
This discussion has been closed.