Options

Cyberpunk 2077, the Seizure Inducing Videogame, Released December 10

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    htm wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    The mirror seems broken and buggy AF in general. I have the fun state where when I look in the mirror my V has no hair and isn't wearing any pants.

I haven't seen that, but the PC version of the mirror seems sadly low rez.

I wonder if it's graphics settings related, as some people have it others don't.

Quality DLSS definitely makes V look better in both the mirror and inventory.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I had the mirror bug out too on ps5. Was completely bald. It's obviously just a hardcoded thing since it only works when you interact with it and you can only do specific things with it, and they must have somehow screwed up and did that hardcoded stuff at low res.
    I reckon it's basically just running embedded video animations, like the ads.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I had the mirror bug out too on ps5. Was completely bald. It's obviously just a hardcoded thing since it only works when you interact with it and you can only do specific things with it, and they must have somehow screwed up and did that hardcoded stuff at low res.

It's not possible that it's embedded video considering you can change visible gear and customize your character. There's just a few different nodes with variations until you would end up with billions of video files.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Having spent a few hours with it, here are some first impressions:

-It really, really needs to be third person. Making it first person was just a terrible decision.
    -Story seems pretty good so far.
    -Character customization is good but not great.
    -Graphics are... interesting. Environments are genuinely amazing, but there's something a bit off with NPCs. They look really good close up and good enough from far away, but at middles distances, they're indistinct/plastic-y. For context, I'm running on PC with a 3090.
    -Combat is OK. Enemies seem a bit spongey.
    -Driving is terrible. I use Fast Travel to walk everywhere.
    -There's too much trivial loot.
    -Not sure what to make of the hacking stuff. Some of it seems really cool, but I have no idea WTF is going on with Breach Protocol.
    -Not sure what to make of the RPG systems, either. Seems to have a lots of passive stat increase perks, so I suspect that if you're the sort of player who does ALL the side quests, you're going to power creep your way to being an invincible avatar of destruction long before you reach the end of the game.
    -I'm not finding it to be especially buggy, but based on posts here and on reddit, it seems like the PC version had a lot more time/effort invested in it than the console versions.
    -The over-sexualization of everything in the setting is... something. On one hand, the overt objectification is kind of gross and its treatment of trans folk is, at best, disappointing. On the other, it's refreshing to see a AAA title that's so gleefully anti-prudish.

All in all, it seems like it will be a solid piece of entertainment, just in time for the holidays. And while I'm not convinced it rates the insane amount of hype it's received, it does seem to be a good (maybe even the best yet), attempt at an RPG/open world mash up.

htm on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Reporting from a GTX1060 with 6gb ram, the game is running on settings between mid and high, at 1080p, at between 45-60 fps

Which is WAY better than my first playthrough of witcher, on a 660gtx-mobile, at 17fps max..

So far it's bug free apart from the appartment mirror, and the character work and voice work is just phenomenal. body and facial movements look so damn good in parts, and that's on a 4 year old PC!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    htm wrote: »
    Having spent a few hours with it, here are some first impressions:

-It really, really needs to be third person. Making it first person was just a terrible decision.
    -Story seems pretty good so far.
    -Character customization is good but not great.
    -Graphics are... interesting. Environments are genuinely amazing, but there's something a bit off with NPCs. They look really good close up and good enough from far away, but at middles distances, they're indistinct/plastic-y. For context, I'm running on PC with a 3090.
    -Combat is OK. Enemies seem a bit spongey.
    -Driving is terrible. I use Fast Travel to walk everywhere.
    -There's too much trivial loot.
    -Not sure what to make of the hacking stuff. Some of it seems really cool, but I have no idea WTF is going on with Breach Protocol.
    -Not sure what to make of the RPG systems, either. Seems to have a lots of passive stat increase perks, so I suspect that if you're the sort of player who does ALL the side quests, you're going to power creep your way to being an invincible avatar of destruction long before you reach the end of the game.
    -I'm not finding it to be especially buggy, but based on posts here and on reddit, it seems like the PC version had a lot more time/effort invested in it than the console versions.
    -The over-sexualization of everything in the setting is... something. On one hand, the overt objectification is kind of gross and its treatment of trans folk is, at best, disappointing. On the other, it's refreshing to see a AAA title that's so gleefully anti-prudish.

All in all, it seems like it will be a solid piece of entertainment, just in time for the holidays. And while I'm not convinced it rates the insane amount of hype it's received, it does seem to be a good (maybe even the best yet), attempt at an RPG/open world mash up.

yeah, the world is super sexualized, but some of it was damn funny already

spoilers about a random conversation between two unnamed NPCs:
    some john apparently wanted to do some really freaky and bad stuff, so his braindance device was loaded with an "infinite orgasm loop" to distract him

"guys think that bukkake finish is real even when they're sober!" had me in fucking stitches.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Ha. I didn't know what was happening to my framerate. The game was slow and unresponsive on the main menu! Turns out I had somehow managed to enable V-Sync to lock my framerate to14fps. Why is that even a setting!? :biggrin:

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    Ha. I didn't know what was happening to my framerate. The game was slow and unresponsive on the main menu! Turns out I had somehow managed to enable V-Sync to lock my framerate to14fps. Why is that even a setting!? :biggrin:

it should be multiples of whatever your monitor can do.. so 1/10th of 144Hz maybe :P

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Also I dunno, but first person works nicely for me. The game gives good "inside clues" with where my V lays his arms and stuff, for example. Amusingly, he's expressive in a similar way to myself, so that might be it

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    also holy shit, the skill tree is a fucking rainforest. i'm not gonna read anything on my first playthrough and just do what feels right

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »

It's not possible that it's embedded video considering you can change visible gear and customize your character. There's just a few different nodes with variations until you would end up with billions of video files.

Ok, yeah, sure, but it's probably just a low res fixed set of animations that uses V's model and calls on the same customisation files.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Also I tried out the katana and now I am the katana lord. There is blood. There is screaming. On both sides! It is beautiful.

• Options
    Reporting from a GTX1060 with 6gb ram, the game is running on settings between mid and high, at 1080p, at between 45-60 fps

Which is WAY better than my first playthrough of witcher, on a 660gtx-mobile, at 17fps max..

So far it's bug free apart from the appartment mirror, and the character work and voice work is just phenomenal. body and facial movements look so damn good in parts, and that's on a 4 year old PC!

Like, I really need to stress this again. This game runs actually a lot better than I would've expected a AAA title from 2020 to run on 4 year old budget GPU. That new nvidia driver must've done some magic.

Of course I'm running it on 1080p, but still.

Whenever 3060gtx are available next year, I'm gonna grab one, but this is very playable. Way better than witcher 3 was on my then-1,5 year old gaming laptop in 2015

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

Like, I really need to stress this again. This game runs actually a lot better than I would've expected a AAA title from 2020 to run on 4 year old budget GPU. That new nvidia driver must've done some magic.

Whenever 3060gtx are available next year, I'm gonna grab one, but this is very playable. Way better than witcher 3 was on my then-1,5 year old gaming laptop in 2015

What's your cpu?

• Options
    Also I tried out the katana and now I am the katana lord. There is blood. There is screaming. On both sides! It is beautiful.

I had (preorder goodie ? spoiler)
    a strong looking katana in my appartment waiting for me, and a tac knife. but who would use a knife when there's a katana ??

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

What's your cpu?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7600K CPU @ 3.80GHz 3.80 GHz

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    I think I got some preorder goodies but it wanted me to sign up and I just wanted to play so I ignored that shit.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular

Ok, yeah, sure, but it's probably just a low res fixed set of animations that uses V's model and calls on the same customisation files.
    That would be insane. They already render V in the inventory screen. Surely the mirror does that.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    I think I got some preorder goodies but it wanted me to sign up and I just wanted to play so I ignored that shit.
    Looking at that cheeky flavor text, it's probably a goodie for getting the game on GoG
    64f5giy4dp29.png

Edit: The name is also probably a little witcher 3 nod

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

What's your cpu?

I've heard this game is fairly heavily cpu bottlenecked. Like my friend has a 1080 and an i7 and his cpu is at 90% usage while his gpu is 60-70%. Sounds weird I know with a game this pretty but it's quite a dense game with a lot of "moving parts", if you will.

• Options

What's your cpu?

I've heard this game is fairly heavily cpu bottlenecked. Like my friend has a 1080 and an i7 and his cpu is at 90% usage while his gpu is 60-70%. Sounds weird I know with a game this pretty but it's quite a dense game with a lot of "moving parts", if you will.

what CPU does your friend have?

I thought about snagging a used i7 for my platform, but they're still super expensive...

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2020

That would be insane. They already render V in the inventory screen. Surely the mirror does that.

Ok. You explain why the mirror only works when it is triggered via an interaction, and only allows you to do fixed animations, without any freeform player based mirroring, and then turns off again afterwards without any interactivity allowed.

That sure sounds like a fixed, separated thing being interlocked into the game to me!

Also V in the inventory screen doesn't have any animations. It's probably just a bug that the mirror is running those animations at a lower res. I'm not saying they purposefully designed it to be lower res.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Another performance help: the game defaults to windowed borderless, put it on fullscreen in video settings instead. usually gives a few percent speed bump

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

Ok. You explain why the mirror only works when it is triggered via an interaction, and only allows you to do fixed animations, without any freeform player based mirroring, and then turns off again afterwards without any interactivity allowed.

That sure sounds like a fixed, separated thing being interlocked into the game to me!

Also V in the inventory screen doesn't have any animations. It's probably just a bug that the mirror is running those animations at a lower res. I'm not saying they purposefully designed it to be lower res.

it is fixed, as in a canned animation sequence they prepared for the mirror, but it's rendered in engine

the reason it bugs is probably because some of the clothing layers interact strangely with how the mirror works. It's not a video, else it would always look the same, no matter the resolution.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2020

What's your cpu?

I thought about snagging a used i7 for my platform, but they're still super expensive...

He's still running it on medium and he's hovering around 55-60. So he's got quite a few frames on you, but the extra jump in graphics card didn't seem to help him too much.

Intel core i7-6700k at 4.00ghz

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited December 2020

it is fixed, as in a canned animation sequence they prepared for the mirror, but it's rendered in engine

the reason it bugs is probably because some of the clothing layers interact strangely with how the mirror works. It's not a video, else it would always look the same, no matter the resolution.

Yes I didn't think that through I already accepted several posts ago that is not a video. We can throw that word video out now. *tosses it into the sea*

The bug is also that it has very low resolution and as such looks like shit. It's not just that there's bugs with customisation files. The rendered model of V also looks significantly worse. If its truly rendered in engine with your current settings that should be impossible, so it must be something causing the difference. I don't know what tho. But it's not just straight up copying your current V as it is normally shown in game. It's showing a worse V.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited December 2020

What's your cpu?

He's still running it on medium and he's hovering around 55-60. So he's got quite a few frames on you, but the extra jump in graphics card didn't seem to help him too much.

Intel core i7-6700k at 4.00ghz

single thread speed of these cpus is almost identical, but he got 8 threads instead of my 4. maybe something's not optimized with the game's multicore usage to utilize all these additional threads

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

Yes I didn't think that through I already accepted several posts ago that is not a video. We can throw that word video out now. *tosses it into the sea*

The bug is also that it has very low resolution and as such looks like shit. It's not just that there's bugs with customisation files. The rendered model of V also looks significantly worse. If its truly rendered in engine with your current settings that should be impossible, so it must be something causing the difference. I don't know what tho. But it's not just straight up copying your current V as it is normally shown in game. It's showing a worse V.

mirrros in video games are actually pretty hard, so it's probably some janky thing to do with that

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    It's clearly a workaround so it will work even on systems that don't have raytracing, and it feels like it was created by a team or person set to "make the mirror work" and they managed to get it to work, and its good enough, and lets release this game already.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    In fact I could say that about a lot of this games systems, including the godawful inventory, and the ui in general. Every time you delete an item the whole list blanks out and refreshes. It's disorienting and awful.

The little popups don't fully reflect whats going on. I'll sell a thousand bucks worth of stuff, leave the seller, and it says I gained 45 bucks. Like no my lad game, I did not get 45 bucks. I got a lot more than that.

There's no way to lock items or select them enmass so you can sell all at once. It's all "good enough" stuff.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    But I'll forgive all of it right now because this katana is awesome.

• Options
    the inventory is actually a massive improvement to witcher 3, and witcher 2's release inventory

they seem to release all their games with strange inventories, probably because the in house testers doing final QOL touches on everything is not the highest priority, understandably.

but this game will probably receice improvements for the next 2-3 years or so, judging from how W3 went

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Not dived into the inventory much yet, but I remember Witcher 3's inventory being god awful so I'm not surprised.

• Options
    the inventory is actually a massive improvement to witcher 3, and witcher 2's release inventory

they seem to release all their games with strange inventories, probably because the in house testers doing final QOL touches on everything is not the highest priority, understandably.

but this game will probably receice improvements for the next 2-3 years or so, judging from how W3 went

To me it just feels like more of the same. A sideways hop if you will. Different, but still awful.

But you can at least sort stuff in this one in sensible ways. That's its one step up.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    It's clearly a workaround so it will work even on systems that don't have raytracing, and it feels like it was created by a team or person set to "make the mirror work" and they managed to get it to work, and its good enough, and lets release this game already.

Could they even use ray-tracing for that on beefier machines? Is there anywhere else you can see your reflection (shop windows, etc)? Because I think the default in these games is to just have the PC be a camera with a pair of floating arms (and legs if you're lucky).
    I'd guess they start rendering your character specifically for these moments, and something bugs and you get a long-distance low-detail model, or something.

I don't know enough about it to do more than guess, I'll wait for digital foundry to explain it with technical sounding words I don't understand instead.

Changing topic, is there a verdict on PS5 performance?

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    My game set itself to "low" graphics and a stupidly low resolution the second time I booted it up, despite running fine on high previously, so I'd advise anyone getting graphical issues to check the game hasn't done the same to them. Mind you, I'm using a modern-ish graphics card and a super old cpu, so I often find games want to default me to much lower settings than my machine can actually handle.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I only got to literally create my character and run the first Corpo bit up to the training but I laughed hard when.
    You head to lizzys bar and park the arasaka car on the basketball court was such a douchebag response when prompted.

5 more hours and I am so jacked to play some more.

• Options
    my dude right now, still very early game
    yeqjyu2j2mot.png

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I only got to literally create my character and run the first Corpo bit up to the training but I laughed hard when.
    You head to lizzys bar and park the arasaka car on the basketball court was such a douchebag response when prompted.

5 more hours and I am so jacked to play some more.

holy shit, you can actually get that (streetkid path)
    car? I listened to jackie, we got beat up together, and never saw that car again..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    A "real" mirror would utilize raytracing and could become problematic quickly in a number of ways but probably performance in the first hand. The partial reflections you glimpse blurry in windows etc is not the fidelity you'd need for a 100% reflective mirror without artefacts. For how cool it is the raytracing of games isn't the same as running a pre-render with thousands of samples and bounces per pixel, it's highly simplified to be able to run in real time. Making a real reflective mirror is probably hard in that way.

Back in the day for reflective floors and stuff people used to build a clone of the room upside down and have a very lightly transparent floor. This would make the room mirror but not anything that wasn't a static model. Then a progression on that is making dynamic models clone and move around relative to their parent objects in the real room.

The mirrors in CP77 are probably built in the way that when you "enter" them it spawns your model in a hidden studio room, spawns a camera to look at them and you see that feed through your viewport. Or they spawn it directly behind the glass, I don't know. The loading in is probably necessary because it has to load a new version of your character model, and they can't run this live because they can't mirror the player's movements. Thus the limited, pre-set, amount of smiles etc you can do in them.

PSN: Honkalot
This discussion has been closed.