As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem Three Houses] happy goddamn deduesday my dudes

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    AW Chapter 3's battle is kinda bad, I was nearing the end but had Byleth die to some random 16% chance hit with no Pulses left. Seems like it's designed to just be a drain on durability and magic uses.

Might give it another try on Hard before dialing down to Normal just to see the DLC's story.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    You guys.

Bernadetta and Yuri's supports. Man.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I'm gonna put some fanart tweets under this here spoiler.

Every time someone draws the Black Eagles and Lysithea is just there I grow more powerful

This last one is not for SilverWinds:
    Because she hasn't finished Azure Moon

This would have been a really great support.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I just did AW Chapter 3 and I am heart broken to hear so many people didn't like it because I fucking loved it! The whole map was brilliant and beautiful and just so fun. It helps that this was the map that got the Trickster class to gel in my head as to how to use it super awesome. Some of the stunts I pulled off are straight up bullshit. I suddenly desperately want a playthrough with Trickster Flayn cause holy shit will that be a fucking thing and a half.

I did have one heart attack moment half way through the map where I forgot how reinforcements work on Hard vs Madness. Everything else in the level just spoke to me in a clear voice and I zipped through. I was really not feeling the AW stuff before but now I am pumped.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I'm watching some of this story over SilverWind's shoulder

This DLC seems like a combination of well-designed, tight gameplay, and writing that is waaaaay doofier than the main game

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Yeah the story is meh, overall, for the DLC, but the gameplay is wonderful.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Finished the DLC as well

Tough but fun gameplay, but wuff that plot was anime "we are nakama" as hell and the new kids have incredibly gimmicky backgrounds. Perhaps the supports in the main game will even them out?

Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Finished Cindered Shadows
    I am still firmly team Rhea Killed Your Mom.

Byleth: So my heart didn't beat when I was born?

Rhea: ...... sure, yeah, let's go with that

100% agree
    If you choose the other option she says that your mom insisted that she wanted her heart given to Byleth. Which a) doesn't explain why their hearts don't beat and b) gee sure is very specific knowledge about a process that nobody else seemed aware of plus really fucking convenient for Rhea aaaaaand of course doesn't explain why Byleth's heart starts working properly in CF

Also this plot tried to make Rhea somewhat more sympathetic but just emphasized she a) has a shaky memory of past events, b) willy nilly hands over a dangerous-ass relic which once unleashed a crazy demonic monster, c) thinks it's helpful to have a sunless underbelly where refugees horde up with criminals, and d) stage a fake burial and let a husband mourn a fake gravesite of his wife ????????

(She was also the Mysterious Woman in Abyss, right? I would have to recheck the lines but the woman mentioned something about being away from her mother, not being able to worship her actual gods anywhere on the surface or below, and we know Rhea actually went below to visit Sitri's body etc,)

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Finished the DLC as well

Tough but fun gameplay, but wuff that plot was anime "we are nakama" as hell and the new kids have incredibly gimmicky backgrounds. Perhaps the supports in the main game will even them out?

100% agree
    If you choose the other option she says that your mom insisted that she wanted her heart given to Byleth. Which a) doesn't explain why their hearts don't beat and b) gee sure is very specific knowledge about a process that nobody else seemed aware of plus really fucking convenient for Rhea aaaaaand of course doesn't explain why Byleth's heart starts working properly in CF

Also this plot tried to make Rhea somewhat more sympathetic but just emphasized she a) has a shaky memory of past events, b) willy nilly hands over a dangerous-ass relic which once unleashed a crazy demonic monster, c) thinks it's helpful to have a sunless underbelly where refugees horde up with criminals, and d) stage a fake burial and let a husband mourn a fake gravesite of his wife ????????

(She was also the Mysterious Woman in Abyss, right? I would have to recheck the lines but the woman mentioned something about being away from her mother, not being able to worship her actual gods anywhere on the surface or below, and we know Rhea actually went below to visit Sitri's body etc,)

Another thing that never seems to be covered in the game is at the end of Silver Snow
    If you don't romance Rhea she dies, yet it doesn't release the dragon god relic from your heart and you just go on living as normal. It's not touched upon whatsoever even though the end result should be the same as CF's ending.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Hm. May have to rethink my stances re: Edelgard's culpability in various events throughout the game's backstory.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Hm. May have to rethink my stances re: Edelgard's culpability in various events throughout the game's backstory.
    Did she though? I was under the impression the TWSITD were already behind a lot of things going on the empire (including the coup of her father), and her uncle getting replaced obviously.

If you weren't being serious there, nevermind. Wasn't entirely sure how tongue in cheek that was ;p

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Finished the DLC as well

100% agree

Another thing that never seems to be covered in the game is at the end of Silver Snow
    If you don't romance Rhea she dies, yet it doesn't release the dragon god relic from your heart and you just go on living as normal. It's not touched upon whatsoever even though the end result should be the same as CF's ending.

CF Ending:
    Sothis is still kicking around inside you after CF ending anyways. Really, it's the CF ending side that doesn't make sense to me - there really isn't any reason that killing Rhea off should depower or otherwise affect Sothis's crest stone.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Just remember everything about CF’s ending is wrong because it comes 3 chapters too soon :biggrin:

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Baby's first war crime 8-)
    Polaritie wrote: »
    CF Ending:
    Sothis is still kicking around inside you after CF ending anyways. Really, it's the CF ending side that doesn't make sense to me - there really isn't any reason that killing Rhea off should depower or otherwise affect Sothis's crest stone.
    There is no power on this earth that will make me acknowledge the Sothis S-Rank conversation as canon. I REFUSE

• Options
    Baby's first war crime 8-)
    CF Ending:
    There is no power on this earth that will make me acknowledge the Sothis S-Rank conversation as canon. I REFUSE

Oh god yeah it's so awful.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    The thing about that spoilered scene I posted above is
    the image of baby Edelgard pulling a little red wagon full of green cash money into the heart of Shambala to pay off the deeply wicked mole people

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Finished the DLC as well

100% agree

CF Ending:

Look at it another way.
    It's not killing Rhea that does it, since it doesn't happen in Silver Snow either.

It's the rejection of everything that Rhea stands for—the active rejection of the crests, and the system they stand for, and the power they embody.

You are the embodiment of Sothis's power, and from her power is the crest stone derived; by your will that power leaves the world. And Crimson Flower is the only path where you reject the legacy of the progenitor

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I feel like the ending of Crimson Flower might not make a whole lot of logical sense if you think too much about it, but it does make emotional and thematic sense, so I'm cool with it.
    You could probably make up some in-universe reason to justify why what happens happens, but it wouldn't really add anything to the scene, I don't think.

And hey, at least it's not the mid-point of Azure Moon.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Finished the DLC as well

100% agree

CF Ending:

Look at it another way.
    It's not killing Rhea that does it, since it doesn't happen in Silver Snow either.

It's the rejection of everything that Rhea stands for—the active rejection of the crests, and the system they stand for, and the power they embody.

You are the embodiment of Sothis's power, and from her power is the crest stone derived; by your will that power leaves the world. And Crimson Flower is the only path where you reject the legacy of the progenitor

Also consider the possibility that
    Edelgard cures Byleth through the sheer force of horny

• Options
    I realized something talking about the Azure Moon run with my friend (whole run spoilers)
    Rodrigue has more agency than Byleth. And all he does is die.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    So I've finally gotten around to getting a Switch and playing Three Houses(Thanks Tax Return)

Loving it, very fun and the plot/characters is probably the closest mix of old and new school Fire Emblem we'll get.

One thing I'm wondering is about Maddening.

Decided to play on Hard for my first playthrough and I hear the general consensus for Mad is that it's fun in that its forces you to use all your tactics but tedious in that, especially early on, it forces you to play turtle-y.

If that is true I'll probably stick to Hard, thing I liked about Fates lunatic was that it was challenging but still allowed you to finish maps quickly as long as your positioning was really good.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I ended up turning it down to Maddening because I found it more frustrating than fun. Most enemies double you if you try and use anything other than iron weapons, half of my units were still getting doubled, experience was a slow painful trickle, hoping to get good levels was much more important, and all of that just lead to an unfun experience.

Now, I found Hard to be a little too easy, so I guess its a coin flip for you.

(The DLC's Hard mode is pretty much perfect difficulty wise though)

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    So I've finally gotten around to getting a Switch and playing Three Houses(Thanks Tax Return)

Loving it, very fun and the plot/characters is probably the closest mix of old and new school Fire Emblem we'll get.

One thing I'm wondering is about Maddening.

Decided to play on Hard for my first playthrough and I hear the general consensus for Mad is that it's fun in that its forces you to use all your tactics but tedious in that, especially early on, it forces you to play turtle-y.

If that is true I'll probably stick to Hard, thing I liked about Fates lunatic was that it was challenging but still allowed you to finish maps quickly as long as your positioning was really good.

You do end up needing to be a little more conservative in positioning in my experience, but I wouldn't say you need to turtle unless you are playing on Classic mode. It definitely force you to consider how many times any unit is getting attacked in one round and balance that out pretty well if that's what you mean. I could usually manage this through good positioning of several units. It definitely does mean not to running straight through the middle to murder everything though. All depends on how crazy offensive you want to get I suppose.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hmm...
    Why is a Great Hero referred to as "Nemesis"?

Why are all the legendary weapons bone-like and why do their battle models move?

Why is the MC emotionless even by voiceless NPC standards?

Also Rhea was fighting the Nemesis dude so I'm guessing she and the other green haired folks are really old. And since this is Fire Emblem that means they're dragons.

• Options
    Hmm...
    Why is a Great Hero referred to as "Nemesis"?

Why are all the legendary weapons bone-like and why do their battle models move?

Why is the MC emotionless even by voiceless NPC standards?

Also Rhea was fighting the Nemesis dude so I'm guessing she and the other green haired folks are really old. And since this is Fire Emblem that means they're dragons.
    All I'll say is the game answers all of those, though not necessarily all in the same route.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Couple of notes

- I'm so glad they took a lot of the gameplay elements from SoV. The turn wheel and magic system revamp it really welcome.

- Physical skills are cool too but the lack of doubling makes them less useful except on higher difficulty. I think they should do something like if your AS is high enough to double they should get bonus damage.

- Just an aside I love the nerfening of the pair up system.

It went from being busted in Awakening.

To nerfed but still very strong in Fates.

To "okay you can now bring in reserves but they don't give you bonus stats and most of the time they won't follow up".

That said the Adjunct system does makes having a B team way easier.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Couple of notes

- I'm so glad they took a lot of the gameplay elements from SoV. The turn wheel and magic system revamp it really welcome.

- Physical skills are cool too but the lack of doubling makes them less useful except on higher difficulty. I think they should do something like if your AS is high enough to double they should get bonus damage.

- Just an aside I love the nerfening of the pair up system.

It went from being busted in Awakening.

To nerfed but still very strong in Fates.

To "okay you can now bring in reserves but they don't give you bonus stats and most of the time they won't follow up".

That said the Adjunct system does makes having a B team way easier.

oh man yeah, they really neutered the pair up system. Awakening was hilariously broken.

At least it's still a good way to earn support points! And It appears to earn support points for the adjunct with people other than the assigned 'main' unit, which is fantastic for people I want to see support conversations for but do not want to bring into battle. Sorry Cyril, you're permanently back up. Manuela, Hanneman, Catherine? Better study up on your flying so you can be adjuncts for any unit!

• Options
    I'm not sure why they don't have S ranks for non-MC characters anymore but given the suggestive nature of the A ranks it seems that everyone in my group is really into polygamy.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    At the end of his A supports Hubert has at least 5 wives and 1 husband.

Like, I was extremely surprised at how much Hubert fucks.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Just picked this up. I will pop it in when I finish Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore

Looks like the right difficulty for me will be Hard/Casual?

Do you have to choose a house right off the bat or do you get some kind of intro to each one?

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Small intro, in that after the prologue tutorial mission you get to tour the home base a bit and ask the three house leaders about their house and its students before you choose.

There will also be a fake choice dialogue option during or right after the prologue, it doesn't affect anything (the actual choice will be very, very obvious with giant floating text graphics and an "are you sure?" prompt).

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Okay... Post chapter 12 question.
    Do I have to kill former students if I didn't recruit them and they are commanders?

I don't want to.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Do I have to kill former students if I didn't recruit them and they are commanders?

I don't want to.

You may want to prepare yourself for sadness.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

I don't want to.
    this depends on the route, but generally, if you never recruited them, you cannot do so now. If the objective is to kill commanders, and they are commanders, they must die. I know Crimson Flower route has one kid you can spare and have join you after the time skip; maybe the other routes have some as well but someone else will have to fill you in on that

Obviously if the win condition doesn't require it you can just avoid them

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Man...Golden Deer route
    Dimitri kind of gets done dirty in this route.

Makes me want to do Blue Lion next just to figure out what his deal was

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Hmm...did I just see...
    missiles?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Hmm...did I just see...
    missiles?

swamp gas, weather balloons, ball lightning clearly

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Hmm so I'm reaching the last chapter.

Overall, I will say I'm enjoying it very much but the pacing feels weird.

Like part 2 feels a bit rushed in some parts and I think it would have been better with maybe 3-4 more chapters.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    On Golden Deer no less!!

• Options
    Cindered Shadows Hard cleared, no deaths.

No unpredictable plot twists, but some real good hard fights. 3,4, and 6 especially.

The reward in the main game is kind of nuts - do you get that on NG?

• Options
    Finished it, enjoyed it a lot.

Don't know how I feel about the ending pairs being more autonomous.

It's cool but at the same time I wish I had more control.

Would start up a second playthrough but I'm trying to clear up my backlog before April.