As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 5E Discussion] This is the way 5E ends. Not with a bang but a gnome mindflayer.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Is this too much for a "heirloom" weapon's initial form?

- trident that turns into a dagger as an action(bonus action?) and back, mostly for portability
    - +1 bonus on either mode (just to keep it at par with the battleaxe the fighter is using)
    - innate sense of where it is when he's attuned to it
    - bonus action to recall it magically after throwing

The fighter just hit level 4, and his angel friend will leave the Trident with him after a duel, as said angel will turn rogue shortly for Reasons.

I can just make the recall ability appear at a later tier if it's too extra.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Is this too much for a "heirloom" weapon's initial form?

- trident that turns into a dagger as an action(bonus action?) and back, mostly for portability
    - +1 bonus on either mode (just to keep it at par with the battleaxe the fighter is using)
    - innate sense of where it is when he's attuned to it
    - bonus action to recall it magically after throwing

The fighter just hit level 4, and his angel friend will leave the Trident with him after a duel, as said angel will turn rogue shortly for Reasons.

I can just make the recall ability appear at a later tier if it's too extra.

Almost too weak especially if you're trying to get him to switch off a magic battle axe

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    What's the battleaxe the fighter is using? Is it magic or mundane?
    Both the trident and the axe are versatile. The axe doing 1d8/1d10 and the trident 1d6/1d8.

So, assuming it's a normal battle axe, the +1 and mode change should be sufficient to match it. A little less potential damage, but could have some fun cramming the dagger into a monster's throat and then form shifting, plus being a magic weapon means a lot of things can get hurt that couldn't be with a mundane weapon.
    Assuming they're using a standard battleaxe, you should be good with delaying the recall for a bit.

If it's a magic axe, then keep the recall, maybe add some magic damage when thrown, like maybe 1d4 lightning or something (but only when thrown). The problem with that is it's going to rewrite the way he fights, incentives going for ranged attacks rather than getting stuck in melee, which some players may dislike if they got used to playing a particular way.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Mundane battle axe.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    What if it did 1d6/1d8+[half their level] in damage? That way even if it’s weaker than a mundane battle axe it’ll eventually outgrow most weapons, and will deal consistent damage to boot.

Edit:
    What if it has advantage against fiends, just, all the time? It’s a pretty standard magic weapon, but on the odd occasion it’s powerful. That way it might still see use in the late game once some other weapon has surpassed it.

Plus what about a fun story power? Like say it can’t be wielded to harm an innocent. So the player might be shocked when they critically fail to stab an animal, or a villain that gets their hands on it after it’s dropped can’t fight.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    I was originally thinking it has a face of an angel in its crossguard in dagger mode and if someone say something near him it has a chance of frowning if it hears a lie. (Advantage on Insight checks)

Or if it senses danger, or a hostile creature. (bonus against getting surprised)

I already have the "enemies can't use the weapon" property on another heirloom, but I think the heirlooms probably should all have something like that.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    How often do enemies get hold of the players' weapons?

Doesn't seem worth putting as an ability in the rules text of the weapon, but if you want to keep track of it in your head, it would probably surprise and delight your players if it ever came up.

• Options
    Ah a mundane battle axe is easier to get them to switch off of (though I do have players that will avoid a magic weapon for the one they're character feels right using).

In that case you're looking good on that initial power set. I'd say tie the recall to something other than action economy. Especially if you're tuning a thrown weapon for a fighter. Starting at 4 that's not bad, but that should be one of the first things on it to get better so that they can use it for 4 thrown attacks in a turn on the next level.

• Options
    Fry wrote: »
    How often do enemies get hold of the players' weapons?

Doesn't seem worth putting as an ability in the rules text of the weapon, but if you want to keep track of it in your head, it would probably surprise and delight your players if it ever came up.

I agreed with this post even though I came up with the idea. Just keeping it as a secret thing is probably for the best.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Like say it can’t be wielded to harm an innocent. So the player might be shocked when they critically fail to stab an animal, or a villain that gets their hands on it after it’s dropped can’t fight.

But then the players buy some Sovereign Glue and some villain is in for a bad time.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Since they're going from a mundane weapon to a magic one, I think that's a pretty substantial boost, especially if you're throwing them at resistant/immune enemies where the mundane damage would be halved or nothing.

I don't see the dagger/trident transformation coming in handy very often to be honest. It's a cool bit of flavor to the weapon, but not one that really comes into play when determining balance. That is, unless your players are regularly tripping over their own gear, or getting into locations where a trident would be overly conspicuous but a dagger might be concealed, or maybe they have to squeeze through a narrow crevice and the trident is inconvenient to doing so. It's just the option to change a weapon to a slightly lower damage weapon.
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    Like say it can’t be wielded to harm an innocent. So the player might be shocked when they critically fail to stab an animal, or a villain that gets their hands on it after it’s dropped can’t fight.
    But then the players buy some Sovereign Glue and some villain is in for a bad time.
    Right up until the villain says "But, who is truly innocent in this world...?" and goes on slimmest-imaginable-justification fueled murder spree.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKiLfH3DVGc

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I know I would be less inclined to lie to someone if the other person was just staring at a knife in their hand the whole time I was talking.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    I feel like there are just enough occasions where a trident is to large or no weapons should be on them that the dagger thing is cool.

I’d go so far as to make the transformation a free action via a command word so they can throw the dagger across the duke’s dining table and pin him with a god damn trident!

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I don't know the power level of holy water in this edition, but maybe some sort of "when you plunge the trident into (small amount of) water, the water temporarily becomes holy water" one per day

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    I don't know the power level of holy water in this edition, but maybe some sort of "when you plunge the trident into (small amount of) water, the water temporarily becomes holy water" one per day

I dunno about the power of it, but it costs some amount of silver powder to create I believe, so that'd be a nice little extra perk

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Thanks guys! The dagger bit is purely for flavor/coolness points, I'll admit.

Now to go set up a duel.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

Ive seen lots of DMs online that are like "Sovereign glue is worthless"

okay well, you say that, but you just put a drop on the floor in front of the iron golem and than ask the golem if its worthless when it becomes stuck to the floor forever

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I feel like there are just enough occasions where a trident is to large or no weapons should be on them that the dagger thing is cool.

I’d go so far as to make the transformation a free action via a command word so they can throw the dagger across the duke’s dining table and pin him with a god damn trident!

BUT if they want it to be a bonus action they get a magical girl transformation sequence which confers zero stat bonuses but now you look like aquaman

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular

Ive seen lots of DMs online that are like "Sovereign glue is worthless"

okay well, you say that, but you just put a drop on the floor in front of the iron golem and than ask the golem if its worthless when it becomes stuck to the floor forever
    Is this Superman Tactile Telekineses logic where the glue somehow stops the surface it's adhering to from simply cracking off the thin layer it's connected at when force is applied?

Trying to logic magic (items) in D&D totally never leads to arguments.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I'd have the Golem make to make a strength check to rip off its own foot, after which its speed is halved and it's at Disadvantage on Athletics checks

Maybe a Strength check against its own AC or Con

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    My Curse of Strahd game is tonight! Yay!

I came across a question though when going over my character sheet one more time. So my hexblade is a variant human who took polearm master. She fights with a Glaive (yes, I fully understand how a Glaive cannot be my Hex Weapon until I take the Blade Pact at level 3. Its part of role-playing to be un-optimized at the beginning of the game) and I'm noticing, as per DndBeyond that the off-hand attack has a range of only 5', instead of the 10' of the regular attack. OK, fine.

BUT! DnDBeyond also says that the opportunity attack portion of the Polearm Master only has a range of 5'? That can't be right. The whole point of having that Reach and the Feat is so that you can hit a baddie rushing in at you, is it not? Why would the range on that Opporunity Attack not be 10'?

Edit: The text of PoleArm Master says "While you are wielding a glaive, halberd, pike, quarterstaff, or spear, other creatures provoke an opportunity attack from you when they enter your reach." So unless you guys educate me, DnDBeyond has gotta have this wrong, yes?

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I think it's because the Polearm Mastery Opportunity Attack isn't a normal Opportunity Attack and D&D Beyond only shows the normal OA. That's my guess anyway.

Nealneal on
  • Options
    Nealneal wrote: »
    I think it's because the Polearm Mastery Oppurtunity Attack isn't a normal Opportunity Attack and D&D Beyond only shows the normal OA. That's my guess anyway.

I don't know why it would be wrong. But I am confident that DnDBeyond is wrong on this one.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    My Curse of Strahd game is tonight! Yay!

I came across a question though when going over my character sheet one more time. So my hexblade is a variant human who took polearm master. She fights with a Glaive (yes, I fully understand how a Glaive cannot be my Hex Weapon until I take the Blade Pact at level 3. Its part of role-playing to be un-optimized at the beginning of the game) and I'm noticing, as per DndBeyond that the off-hand attack has a range of only 5', instead of the 10' of the regular attack. OK, fine.

BUT! DnDBeyond also says that the opportunity attack portion of the Polearm Master only has a range of 5'? That can't be right. The whole point of having that Reach and the Feat is so that you can hit a baddie rushing in at you, is it not? Why would the range on that Opporunity Attack not be 10'?

Edit: The text of PoleArm Master says "While you are wielding a glaive, halberd, pike, quarterstaff, or spear, other creatures provoke an opportunity attack from you when they enter your reach." So unless you guys educate me, DnDBeyond has gotta have this wrong, yes?

Nope d&d beyond is right

Even with a pole arm you still only threaten the 5 feet around your square. You only ever threaten the 5 feet around you. The opportunity attack you get from pole arm master is explicitly for when people enter your threat. So when they move into the 5 feet around you.

Edit: Oh shit that might have gotten errata. Cause i'm seeing that's not the case lemme dig into my old hard copy real quick.

Ha they did change it, originally reach only changed your attack distance when you attacked so for opportunity attacks it didn't give you the excess range and coverage unless you were making the obvious house rule.

Sleep on
  • Options
    Unless it’s game breaking Rule of Cool and What We’re Going For Here should take president. You’re the polearm master, so it is 10 feet of coverage.

• Options
    Unless it’s game breaking Rule of Cool and What We’re Going For Here should take president. You’re the polearm master, so it is 10 feet of coverage.

Oh Yeah for sure. It's definitely a good change to the rules to make it so that reach actually affects opportunity attacks. I'm guessing that the issue that dnd beyond is running into up there is that it's trying to implement the old rules interaction that prevented the OA for entering the 10 foot range and only tripped the OA in the 5 foot range.

• Options
    Cool. Thanks.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Whoa a DND thread I should've known existed!

My friends and I started our first DnD (5e specifically) campaign and I have to say, I can't believe that I haven't tried DnD before. Despite playing my fair share of RPGs over the years (POE1/2, DOS2, and many more), I'd never done a proper DnD campaign.

I started as a tomato worshipping druid before discovering that there was a whole Circle of the Spores subclass. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this class and how DMs typically treat switching up subclasses mid-campaign. I was thinking of coming up with a momentous even that caused my druid to break with his circle and have his whole nature changed.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    finnith wrote: »

My friends and I started our first DnD (5e specifically) campaign and I have to say, I can't believe that I haven't tried DnD before. Despite playing my fair share of RPGs over the years (POE1/2, DOS2, and many more), I'd never done a proper DnD campaign.

I started as a tomato worshipping druid before discovering that there was a whole Circle of the Spores subclass. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this class and how DMs typically treat switching up subclasses mid-campaign. I was thinking of coming up with a momentous even that caused my druid to break with his circle and have his whole nature changed.

If a player came up to me with a solid idea to switch I'd be down for it. lift up the players and all that.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    finnith wrote: »

If a player came up to me with a solid idea to switch I'd be down for it. lift up the players and all that.

Heck, if it's early enough you can retcon the whole deal that he was a Spore Druid all along, esp. for first-timers (with some caveats).

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    my druid became a circle of spores by communing with a friendly myconid colony and having a brief glimpse into the networked consciousness of these beings that span all the crystal spheres in psychically linked groups

that would require DM buy in, but the myconids understand intrinsically the value of decay in the natural balance

override367 on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    It's up to the DM - are they a fun guy?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Speaking of mushrooms - are there any UA myconid playable races? If there aren't any, and assuming I don't resort to homebrew, which race can be a closest fit to be mapped to myconids?

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    So hey the Groundhog Day scenario is free to download for a limited time on DMGuild: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/249757/Pudding-Faire

Y'know, to brighten your day, hopefully.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Speaking of mushrooms - are there any UA myconid playable races? If there aren't any, and assuming I don't resort to homebrew, which race can be a closest fit to be mapped to myconids?

I don't think any UA ever included them, but there's at least a couple of different homebrewed versions out there. Mushroom people are fuckin cool and I'd totally play one if any of my DMs allowed homebrew stuff

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options

Boo this man! Booooo! Booooo!

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

I'm sure there is muchroom for discussion.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I don't understand. What's not to lichen?

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I don't understand. What's not to lichen?

993773432-statler_waldorf_boooo.jpg

• Options
    Fungus Amongus is a great name for sort of flora based villian.

This discussion has been closed.