As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Afterparty & Quest for Conquest out today!

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    My last attempt on darkest dungeon I actually got to the point where I had a full max level team with good composistion and I tried the first level of the Darkest Dungeon and they all died and I uninstalled that game forever fuckin fuck that game man

Me but on the second level of the DD, though I did give it the old college try.

Was not thrilled by the first successful team
    being too stressed that they couldn't return, effectively removing them from my roster other than grinding

Apparently they can go again on the easiest difficulty but I was tired of all the grinding at that point

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Early Access actively hurt Darkest Dungeon and left the designers creating a game for the vocal hardcore members of the community

Like, it was always going to be a grindier game than I really wanted it to, but it turned into something so unforgiving that I can't really play it anymore

Which kind of sucks, given that the version of it I played "in full" didn't have all of the classes or areas yet

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I modded the shit out of DD to make it a more forgiving experience and I never looked back once.

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    darkest dungeon is just too grindy in general imo

i'm not totally opposed to randomly generated levels (though i would pretty much always rather have like, handcrafted ones) but once you understand how all the interactable items in a tileset work the dungeons feel too much like busywork, and having each boss repeat three times is...bad in general, but especially bad for a game with horror themes and emphasis on disrupting your plans

"who knows what horrors lurk in-" it's the gross pig buddies, i have killed them twice before

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I bought an oculus rift S. yo this thing is pretty fucking cool.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    VR rocks man. Get that Beat Saber!

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I feel like I sweat way too much to ever fully enjoy VR.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I feel like I sweat way too much to ever fully enjoy VR.

that's why you need to play nude

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    But the VR itself is in headset form- an article of clothing.

We need robot eyeballs.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Bind your face in cling-wrap before entering the virtual world

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Also bind any loose or dangling bits in cling wrap before entering the virtual world.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Sorry casuals but there's only one real way to experience VR.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Just did 10 minutes of BoxVR. That is a goddamn workout right there. I'm done a couple boxing classes before and this definitely hits those points. Phew! Then I did about 30 minutes of beat saber. Feeling good.

I need to get some foam covers though, they make some nice 100% cotton T-shirt material covers that you can quickly swap on and off so that the foam doesn't get all soaked with sweat.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    I could deal with everything Darkest Dungeon could throw at me except long hallways. Once you go down a dead end and have to spend all that time getting to the other end is TORTURE. You'd think there'd be a quick travel button but WOW did this waste so much time!

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    DD devs chose the wrong fans to listen to, and eventually realized their mistake too late

they tried to pull back and make it a little more fair, but god did they fuck up

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I got Darkest Dungeon after release and still haven’t gotten far into it as a result

Maybe modding it is the solution

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    DD devs chose the wrong fans to listen to, and eventually realized their mistake too late

they tried to pull back and make it a little more fair, but god did they fuck up

"I don't understand, focusing on the difficulty-obsessed hardcore elitists worked out so well for all the people making guitar games!"

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I got Darkest Dungeon after release and still haven’t gotten far into it as a result

Maybe modding it is the solution

I eventually modded it to make it less awful and then sunk about thirty hours into it.

Never beat it mind you, but I got to the last dungeon.
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Whaddya mean ran Gotham for hundreds of years what did Gotham look like two hundred years ago some crappy muddy burg where everyone uses their window as a toilet I imagine what does a secret cabal get up to fixin molasses prices, fuckin, secret leather tanning formulas

I mean it's New York City.

It looked like early 1800s New York. There were just shy of 100,000 people there by 1810.

The famous drawing of Five Points is from like 1829:

snip

My faovourite New York thing is that for over a hundred years everyone moved house on the same day.

Because it was tradition!

That became law.

Because it was a tradition!

Kelor on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

I am watching the sequel because they did seem to learn their lesson, but I need to see some actual game.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Don't they still do that in Boston?

sig.gif
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    My recent tradition for moving day (July 1st) in Montreal is to get the fuck outta Dodge in case someone asks me to move a fridge up two flights of stairs in 35 degrees C with full humidity

Such a dumb day to do it

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Seems like you've got a built-in excuse, though. "Oooh, sorry, I'm already helping several other people move today. Catch you next year, maybe."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    IMG_4542_1.jpg.860x0_q70_crop-smart.jpg
    Wow I hate these Montreal stairs

Coinage on
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Why do Quebec residential buildings seem to have a loth of those outside stairs? I understand in apartments they can be used as fire escapes, but I see them in smaller and even single family homes.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    blasted through the back half of Sayonara Wild Hearts last night

dang, Parallel Universes, tho

Parallel Universes, tho

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    There are no right fans to listen to. All fans are wrong fans.

Only listen to people who have no strong feelings on a subject.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    As a strong critic and also devotee of Darkest Dungeon, people are overstating the problems a little bit. They did listen to the wrong fans, but it hasn't broken the game and it's still worth playing. It's still a hard, but mostly fair game about risk management. I die a lot less than when I started, because success is much less dependent on RNG than people think.

The vampire add on is dog shit though.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    As a strong critic and also devotee of Darkest Dungeon, people are overstating the problems a little bit. They did listen to the wrong fans, but it hasn't broken the game and it's still worth playing. It's still a hard, but mostly fair game about risk management. I die a lot less than when I started, because success is much less dependent on RNG than people think.

The vampire add on is dog shit though.

crimson court is very bad

like, very bad

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I got a new processor for my computer (to go along with the RTX card that just accidentally got shipped to me for some reason) so I was able to play Control, Gears 5, Metro The New One and Forza Horizon 4 with everything cranked the fuck up and DAMN.

Control is super neat, great tone and vibe to that game. Combat FEELS good.

It was neat being able to just load up my console saves from Gears and Forza on the PC. GodDAMN Forza is shiny.

Metro remains A Metro.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's a shame that Crimson Court is bad, because the art design is fucking dope, the story is great and the idea of aristocratic mosquito vampires is genuinely unique.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Yeah the main game of Darkest Dungeon is fine. It’s pretty difficult and they kind of nerfed some of the classes in ways I wish they didn’t, but I played it before and after launch and it was still really fun.

What got me to stop playing was the vampire DLC. That is grindy hell that just isn’t fun to play. Which is a disappointment cause the lore and design of the DLC is wonderful.

Edit: beaten by Tube

never die on
  • Options
    never die wrote: »
    Edit: beaten by Tube
    Sounds like a cause-of-death.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    It's a shame that Crimson Court is bad, because the art design is fucking dope, the story is great and the idea of aristocratic mosquito vampires is genuinely unique.

The Scar by China Mieville had an undead kingdom ruled by liches with their mouths sewn shut, and there were zombies that lived alongside the living (who were turned into undead once they died). Vampires were also there, but they were basically treated as junkies that begged for a fix from the living.

That book also had a race of mosquito people that were quarantined to a single island guarded by cactus people (because mosquitos don't drink plant juiceblood), because the last time they made it to the mainland they bred like mad and created a huge empire.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    the minute to minute of actually playing DD is generally very smooth (until you get absolutely fucked by rng which is antithetical to fun)
    but the over-arching grind did not respect my time at fucking all and was daunting and unpleasant

• Options
    What kind of gaming mice do you folks use? I used a Logitech G502 for a few years, and I think it's the most comfortable mouse I've ever used in terms of how it fit in my hand - moving it around and just resting my hand on it felt perfect. On the other hand, I found most of the buttons to be awkward to reach - two of them were perfectly placed (the ones bound to "DPI Shift" and "Forward" by default), two were kiiinda OK but required me to bend my fingers in ways that were uncomfortable ("Back" and "DPI Up"), and one was completely unusable ("DPI Down").

At some point, I switched to the Roccat Nyth because it was so novel and I was so curious. The mouse itself is a little wider than I'd like, and the contours are such that holding it doesn't feel as good as the G502. On the other hand, I really like that thumb button cluster; I arranged it with two wide buttons on the top and bottom rows and two small buttons in the middle row. I can hit all the buttons no problem. That little side-to-side rudder on top is completely useless to me, though; there's no way for me to reach it without completely taking my hand off the mouse.

My conclusion is that buttons that aren't under the thumb just don't work for me. I can make do with one secondary button next to the standard left and right mouse buttons (like the "DPI Up" button on the G502), but if they're set too far back I won't be able to reach them (like the "DPI Up" button on the G502). For the thumb buttons, I find the trend of arranging them back-to-front infuriating, and much prefer them to be stacked vertically - the Microsoft SideWinder mouse fully converted me to this gospel back in 2007. Instead of having to bend my thumb back at an awkward angle, I could just move it a few degrees up an down.

I'm starting to feel the itch to try a new mouse. Ideally, I want a bunch of extra buttons (4+, let's say) that are located under the thumb, and a mouse shape that's closer to the G502 (slightly narrower towards the middle, slightly flared at the top) than to the Nyth (squat and wide). The Corsair Scimitar seems like it'd fit the bill, but all the button tops seem to be on a single plane, and very close to each other; I feel like I'd hit multiple buttons all the time. Also, I usually use wired mice (because I don't mind cables, and remembering to keep a wireless mouse charged seems like a bother), but I'm kinda curious about all the wirelessly-charged-by-the-mouse-pad mice, that seems neat.

So tell me, friends. What mice do it for you?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    can you reprogram the DPI shift buttons on logitech gaming mice? I couldn't figure out a way to use it for anything else, it seemed hardwired to the DPI shift function.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    On the G502, at least, you could. I'm not sure what's up with newer iterations of the mouse/software.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    What kind of gaming mice do you folks use? I used a Logitech G502 for a few years, and I think it's the most comfortable mouse I've ever used in terms of how it fit in my hand - moving it around and just resting my hand on it felt perfect. On the other hand, I found most of the buttons to be awkward to reach - two of them were perfectly placed (the ones bound to "DPI Shift" and "Forward" by default), two were kiiinda OK but required me to bend my fingers in ways that were uncomfortable ("Back" and "DPI Up"), and one was completely unusable ("DPI Down").

At some point, I switched to the Roccat Nyth because it was so novel and I was so curious. The mouse itself is a little wider than I'd like, and the contours are such that holding it doesn't feel as good as the G502. On the other hand, I really like that thumb button cluster; I arranged it with two wide buttons on the top and bottom rows and two small buttons in the middle row. I can hit all the buttons no problem. That little side-to-side rudder on top is completely useless to me, though; there's no way for me to reach it without completely taking my hand off the mouse.

My conclusion is that buttons that aren't under the thumb just don't work for me. I can make do with one secondary button next to the standard left and right mouse buttons (like the "DPI Up" button on the G502), but if they're set too far back I won't be able to reach them (like the "DPI Up" button on the G502). For the thumb buttons, I find the trend of arranging them back-to-front infuriating, and much prefer them to be stacked vertically - the Microsoft SideWinder mouse fully converted me to this gospel back in 2007. Instead of having to bend my thumb back at an awkward angle, I could just move it a few degrees up an down.

I'm starting to feel the itch to try a new mouse. Ideally, I want a bunch of extra buttons (4+, let's say) that are located under the thumb, and a mouse shape that's closer to the G502 (slightly narrower towards the middle, slightly flared at the top) than to the Nyth (squat and wide). The Corsair Scimitar seems like it'd fit the bill, but all the button tops seem to be on a single plane, and very close to each other; I feel like I'd hit multiple buttons all the time. Also, I usually use wired mice (because I don't mind cables, and remembering to keep a wireless mouse charged seems like a bother), but I'm kinda curious about all the wirelessly-charged-by-the-mouse-pad mice, that seems neat.

So tell me, friends. What mice do it for you?

Logitech G600 is my favorite and my vote for best mmo mouse. It's pretty heavy overkill if one never plays mmos.

I find it very comfortable for long use, but it's not exactly flared or contoured. It's also wired only, afaik.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I loved my G600 but it got a bad case of the doubleclicks at the start of the year that made it pretty unusable, I tried a clean/fix that worked for a bit but ended up retiring it for a cheapo g203. I *could* try the switch bending fix now I suppose but it still scares me even though I've got nothing to loose.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
This discussion has been closed.