As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    The only thing that may push them the next step are tiny flakes of the base sprinkled on the feet. So it looks like they're covered in powder

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Current Iron Golems, need to edge or add in another color, look kinda boring at the moment.

H9Pbp2Q.jpg

Old water filter cartridge material makes an interesting gravel/rocky base.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Koreg wrote: »
    The only thing that may push them the next step are tiny flakes of the base sprinkled on the feet. So it looks like they're covered in powder

I think I could do that, not sure how to start it though. I used cork to do the ground. I could find some small pieces and glue them to a base to paint then and then transfer them over.

I still need to dry brush with white scar over the crackle paint and I noticed in the river of one that the crackle paint pulled back a lot more than expected and pulled up the layer over the white so I gotta hit that with the layer for the river color and add little crackle paint in there.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I've been working on this thing for the past week or so:

t2gz9gvzw1ji.jpg
    8qkoqpjvyanz.jpg
    ypbuzyqke7fk.jpg
    hgnkosie9dsn.jpg

I'm not very good at working with these very small detailed sculpts, but I'm fairly pleased with her so far, feels like I'm getting close to as far as I can push with my skill level right now. Still needs a few more touch ups though, I think the base could do with some better contrast for one.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    If I added blood for the blood God paint to the chainsword on my warglaives do I cover all the teeth since it spins?

Never used it on a chainsword so I'm not sure how it should look.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I mean, it all depends on how you want it to look realism-wise.
    Think about that action and motion though - very little blood would actually be sticking to the teeth because of how fast they're moving, so you'd want the blood to be much lighter there. The bit that houses it and the maybe himself might have a bunch of spatter on it from all that blood getting flung off. If the sword is vertical and the character is at rest, you might have some pooling closer to the relative bottom, where bits would run down and collect. That wouldn't happen if the blade is horizontal.

Does that answer your question? There's a lot more to think about there than just what comes in contact with the blood. But if you just want to keep it simple, yeah, make sure you put it on all of them, and maybe spatter a little elsewhere for good measure. ;)

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    If I added blood for the blood God paint to the chainsword on my warglaives do I cover all the teeth since it spins?

Never used it on a chainsword so I'm not sure how it should look.

It's thick
    Think of it how it would appear in a slasher or a low budget conan knock off
    How would the blood appear on the weapon/person. DO the teeth spin down to bite into the target or up to cut into it?
    Think of how a chainsaw works would the blood collect on each tooth? or just build up as the belt spins?

• Options
    I mean, it all depends on how you want it to look realism-wise.
    Think about that action and motion though - very little blood would actually be sticking to the teeth because of how fast they're moving, so you'd want the blood to be much lighter there. The bit that houses it and the maybe himself might have a bunch of spatter on it from all that blood getting flung off. If the sword is vertical and the character is at rest, you might have some pooling closer to the relative bottom, where bits would run down and collect. That wouldn't happen if the blade is horizontal.

Does that answer your question? There's a lot more to think about there than just what comes in contact with the blood. But if you just want to keep it simple, yeah, make sure you put it on all of them, and maybe spatter a little elsewhere for good measure. ;)

It does help, I'm still unsure if I want to do it or not. I think for now I'm just gonna leave them where they are at and call them done. I do want to add more to them but for now they are good enough.
    i5yrqr6.jpg
    ioNL5J7.jpg
    na9d5Bh.jpg
    rE1Uxuh.jpg
    DNRGGLa.jpg
    hSMVY4X.jpg
    8uzcx1I.jpg
    jN2w0VB.jpg

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    The eyes look fabulous now my dude.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Gronk.
    warpig_wip01.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    The eyes do look great. Those are super duper impressive.

I'm excited to see a full shot of the whole army when you finish.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    Gronk.
    warpig_wip01.jpg

So great! And somehow looks better proportioned than the regular Ogors. Must be the position of the head compared to the shoulders. The shield also takes away some of the weird stiffness of the regular sculpt.

• Options
    I was saying in the AoS thread that I always though ogre's had wonky proportions. Their huge heads and weapons make them look like toddlers and not giants. Giants should have tiny (or at least, smaller) heads. Sculpting them also means I can turn their necks a bit too, so they're not all staring blankly forward.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    While their heads could be a bit smaller I'm actually a fan of the new blood bowl ogres. the sculpts remind me more of some strongman guys, very stocky, but really strong. The old plastic Ogors in comparison look a bit flabbier around the torso.
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/10/24/the-scoop-from-spielgw-homepage-post-2/

• Options
    Oh dang! I missed those guys! I'll definitely have to pickup a box or two to mix into the ranks.
    I got my hands on a couple of old pewter models as well: tyrant, butcher and Araby maneater. It'll be a challenge to see what I can make of them...

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    The eyes look fabulous now my dude.
    Koreg wrote: »
    The eyes do look great. Those are super duper impressive.

I'm excited to see a full shot of the whole army when you finish.

Thank you, I do definitely like the eyes more with how they are.

I'm gonna try to get the castellan fully painted tonight or tomorrow so I should have pictures of that soon.

• Options
    Paint came off during a shade wash again. I haven't cleaned the model off at all.

It had the fang primer, then I airbrushed vallejo metallic aluminium, then an airbrush or vallejo metallic gold, and then I airbrushed a satin varnish on. Then I did a shade was with gloss agrax earthshade.

When I went to shade wash the paint came off with no effort at all. I have no idea why.

• Options
    All the paint? Odd I can think of various things but it has not happened to me in sometime and that was a different era of paint
    I think it's whatever you are using for a varnish is causing the paint to not adhere?

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    All the paint? Odd I can think of various things but it has not happened to me in sometime and that was a different era of paint
    I think it's whatever you are using for a varnish is causing the paint to not adhere?

The primer stayed on but everything above that came off pretty easy. The other 3 pieces I was painting with the same colors weren't as bad, paint came off slightly but I dismissed it as spots that were hard for the varnish to get into but the last one I started painting was bad.

This happened with the head of the castellan I was painting. Same paints except the first time I didn't varnish and paint was coming when I started to shade wash.

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    You giving the metals enough time to cure?

Also are they all for sure water based acrylic.

J on
  • Options
    Bolgrot, formerly known as Ripper, almost ready.

bxssfl1w8ygc.jpg

• Options
    J wrote: »
    You giving the metals enough time to cure?

Also are they all for sure water based acrylic.

They say on the bottles they are water based acrylic.

It might be that I'm not giving them enough time to dry and treating them like other airbrush paints I've used though I did wait like 20 minutes after putting the varnish on to do the wash.

• Options
    20 minutes for a varnish seems very little to me.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I think the Vallejo varnishes literally say an hour to dry but like eight hours to fully cure.

[Edit]My daughter finished my message before I could, lol.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Well that explains the issue I'm having with the varnish.

As far as the metallic paints the bottle says it dries in 5 minutes but I've been painting pretty fast. Only 4 pieces so maybe a minute on each piece and then moving to the next color so I'll be sure to give more time for drying.

I really need to read these bottles instead of assuming things.

Stragint on

• Options
    Did a layer of the silver and gold this morning on the piece that messed up last night. Gave a good amount of time to dry. When I get home I'm gonna see if I can do a wash without paint coming off.

• Options
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Oh, there’s a video explaining how they did it

https://youtu.be/DM2kYhBGkOU

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Oh, there’s a video explaining how they did it

https://youtu.be/DM2kYhBGkOU

This would be cool on the castellan. Does the volcano lance shoot a solid projectile?

I just googled it. It shoots lasers.

Stragint on

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    ‘Volcano’ as an Imperial weapon designation generally indicates an extreme-scale laser weapon of some kind.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I wonder how they would even load a titan size bullet using man power

• Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    ‘Volcano’ as an Imperial weapon designation generally indicates an extreme-scale laser weapon of some kind.

Yea, kind of a bummer. Maybe I can do it on something else.

I'm feeling weirdly down about my castellan. For some reason I'm suddenly feeling like it won't look good and I'm not sure why.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

Big-ass chains and a lot of pulleys. Remember that the torpedoes used by Imperial battleships are the size of a high-rise block of flats and they don’t use auto-loaders (unless it’s a Mechanicus vessel of course).

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options

Big-ass chains and a lot of pulleys. Remember that the torpedoes used by Imperial battleships are the size of a high-rise block of flats and they don’t use auto-loaders (unless it’s a Mechanicus vessel of course).

There was an art piece that showed this

Still It would neat to make a diorama of a titan hanger and the titan inside being serviced or reloaded [How when they are not on a forge world or a knight world but in the field how does it happen? do they bring the stuff with them to certain worlds in a ship or part of their explorer fleets?

• Options

Still It would neat to make a diorama of a titan hanger and the titan inside being serviced or reloaded [How when they are not on a forge world or a knight world but in the field how does it happen? do they bring the stuff with them to certain worlds in a ship or part of their explorer fleets?

This is the one I think
    ewvo992gbe3e.jpg

• Options
    honovere wrote: »

This is the one I think
    ewvo992gbe3e.jpg

That's in battlefleet gothic I remember that one
    Just thinking of the logistics of a titan is one of those deep thoughts
    I man in BattleTech they half assed it with drop ships and the shuttles
    9ec16nohdp60.png
    w5vuqz95c2gl.png
    in the various cut aways they showed they rarely showed mechs in storage

• Options
    I have no idea what color to paint the rockets for my castellan. This is kind of stopping me in my tracks for painting.

• Options
    I would say a gunmetal or dull sliver as that's a can't lose and usually doesn't violate the rule of competency colors

• Options
    I would say a gunmetal or dull sliver as that's a can't lose and usually doesn't violate the rule of competency colors

I did buy the iron breakers paint recently and haven't had a chance to use it. I think I'll use it for the rockets. Thank you!

Also, progress. Haven't attached the painted armor plates because I'm still trying to find a good position for the beast claw raiders skull piece.
    ktcptpy00evg.jpeg