As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Okay, based on the last image from the fighter page on the site, Safer Sephiroth isn't a new boss, it's his Final Smash.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Oh wow another White male RPG character with a sword from a Japanese developer.

Absalon on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    Oh wow another White male RPG character with a sword from a Japanese developer.

It's pretty questionable to call all the Fire Emblem characters "white". Sephiroth's racial background is also questionable. Basically... what are you talking about?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    Okay, based on the last image from the fighter page on the site, Safer Sephiroth isn't a new boss, it's his Final Smash.

awww...

I mean, it's still cool, and it's the most accurate representation of Supernova or whatever else he's about to do, but it was fun to imagine new bosses.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    There's an expectation in the community that these are reveals. People may want to see it for themselves and be surprised. The statute of limitations on these is obviously going to be short, but for, like, the first day after the trailer's released? Yeah, not just dropping it out there seems to be what people expect.
    if you want to be surprised and you go to the literal thread for discussing said reveal, then I honestly don’t know what to say. But it’s not a story beat or secret so we don’t need to make the thread more difficult to read over it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    That image posted of safer Sephiroth is actually legit amazing.

Can’t help but still be amazed how loyal Sakurai is capable of being to the origins of these characters.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    There's an expectation in the community that these are reveals. People may want to see it for themselves and be surprised. The statute of limitations on these is obviously going to be short, but for, like, the first day after the trailer's released? Yeah, not just dropping it out there seems to be what people expect.
    if you want to be surprised and you go to the literal thread for discussing said reveal, then I honestly don’t know what to say. But it’s not a story beat or secret so we don’t need to make the thread more difficult to read over it.

If one doesn't live on the Internet (like me), they might not know that a character was announced, given that they tweeted out the fact that they'd be announcing the character at TGA twelve hours before it happened. I'm not sure it's onerous to click the spoiler button once per post.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    it's absolutely onerous to read an entire conversation in needless spoiler tags because they're needless

it's a public announcement there's nothing to be spoiled

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Man, Sakurai sure knows how to do a character reveal. There's a mix of excitement and disappointment with this one. The disappointment comes from it being another Final Fantasy character instead of a new franchises to Smash (Not even from a different Final Fantasy). What's cool is that he's a foil for Cloud like Ridley was for Samus. Even better, maybe we'll get a proper lineup of Final Fantasy music.

But knowing Square Enix, they'll only add One Wing Angel. Guess we'll see.

I'm just glad it wasn't Sora.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Whatever you think of the character reveals, the reveal videos continue to be incredible. Just the half-second of Mario flying off Sepiroth's sword after the video made you forget he was there was a great touch.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    So, what do you think is the better "substitute dramatic words with 'SMASH'" moment so far?

* "1: Join Nohr, 2: Join Hoshido, 3: Side with neither, 4: JOIN SMASH"
    * "So, joining Smash conquers even the darkness itself!!"
    * "I shall give Smash despair."

Personally, I still love how goofy the seond one is.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    "I shall give Kirby dis hair."

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    My timezone meant I watched this after the fact and so my reactions were: Sephiroth? Neat
    Wow this trailer is bonkers amazing.

Mii costumes I'm guessing Tifa, Barrett, Aerith, Chocobo Hat, Geno, maybe black mage.

Songs:
    one winged angel
    JENOVA

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Hello humans et al. In case this was missed.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Pretty much what Kupi said, yes.
    But yeah, I can't think of a lot of things that would make me less enthusiastic than Sephiroth. We already have Cloud for our Final Fantasy 7 rep, who is a better character with a more interesting potential moveset (have you seen Sephiroth in the Dissidia games, it's hilarious how almost studiedly boring he is. Even his neutrals are him just sort of holding his sword aloofly while wind attacks come out because we can't let Sephiroth look like he might be making an effort).

Let some other Square games play, damn it! They have a ton of them!

On one hand, no series needs better representation than Final Fantasy. Give us Terra! Or Cecil! Or just Mog or something. Or maybe go from a different series and go Chrono (with Lucca or Magus as an assist trophy!)

On the other hand, the first few notes of the song kick in, and I still get chills. I'm an easy mark I guess.

Personally, it's just...

Sephiroth is usually made with such a worry to make him "cool" that he always ends up supremely uncool. He's only allowed to pose menacingly, act aloof, and swing his sword almost disinterestedly. They don't let him have cool movesets because that would be against his "mystique".

And, like. Yes, 7 is a cultural touchstone, but Square has a lot of other games. Heck, I don't play XIV, but I'm pretty sure XIV makes more money than 7 for Square at this point - give us, I don't know, Y'shtola or something? At least that would be a) from a different game, b) a wizard to go with Robin and Zelda, and c) a girl, of which we kind of don't have as many as we should in Smash.

(Also, I admit, I'm a bit pettily, unreasonably annoyed that a lot of the exact same people who were screaming about Byleth for being "Another Anime Swordsman" despite Byleth clearly doing more of a multi-weapon Firion thing, are shitting bricks of happiness at Sephiroth, who is way more just Dude What Swings Sword.)

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Pretty much what Kupi said, yes.
    But yeah, I can't think of a lot of things that would make me less enthusiastic than Sephiroth. We already have Cloud for our Final Fantasy 7 rep, who is a better character with a more interesting potential moveset (have you seen Sephiroth in the Dissidia games, it's hilarious how almost studiedly boring he is. Even his neutrals are him just sort of holding his sword aloofly while wind attacks come out because we can't let Sephiroth look like he might be making an effort).

Let some other Square games play, damn it! They have a ton of them!

On one hand, no series needs better representation than Final Fantasy. Give us Terra! Or Cecil! Or just Mog or something. Or maybe go from a different series and go Chrono (with Lucca or Magus as an assist trophy!)

On the other hand, the first few notes of the song kick in, and I still get chills. I'm an easy mark I guess.

Personally, it's just...

Sephiroth is usually made with such a worry to make him "cool" that he always ends up supremely uncool. He's only allowed to pose menacingly, act aloof, and swing his sword almost disinterestedly. They don't let him have cool movesets because that would be against his "mystique".

And, like. Yes, 7 is a cultural touchstone, but Square has a lot of other games. Heck, I don't play XIV, but I'm pretty sure XIV makes more money than 7 for Square at this point - give us, I don't know, Y'shtola or something? At least that would be a) from a different game, b) a wizard to go with Robin and Zelda, and c) a girl, of which we kind of don't have as many as we should in Smash.

(Also, I admit, I'm a bit pettily, unreasonably annoyed that a lot of the exact same people who were screaming about Byleth for being "Another Anime Swordsman" despite Byleth clearly doing more of a multi-weapon Firion thing, are shitting bricks of happiness at Sephiroth, who is way more just Dude What Swings Sword.)

Hm, from what we saw in the trailer he actually seems to have a bunch of magic attacks in his moveset.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Also Sephiroth is iconic at this point. Non-Final Fantasy players recognize him.

Super excited to see him in this game. He's one of my favorite villains.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    Haven't had a chance to actually watch the reveal trailer, but is there any idea if there's new music? Or are we still stuck with the same two tracks?

the trailer had the black mages version of one winged angel

Didn't one of the previous DLC characters' trailer have music that didn't get added to Smash though?

Still, it'd be asinine for Square-Enix to let them have Sephiroth but not some version of his theme song. I'm sure we'll get some more FF7 music.

Pipedream would be to also get that medley of the FF series' battle themes that was arranged for distant worlds (or some other big orchestra performance). Something to acknowledge that other FF's exist.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Seriously, I really wanted to have a character actually from a Final Fantasy game I played on Nintendo back in the day. But this does look like he'll be cool. But Terra, tho.

Or we could've had the real main character of FF6, Celes.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Seriously, I really wanted to have a character actually from a Final Fantasy game I played on Nintendo back in the day. But this does look like he'll be cool. But Terra, tho.

Celes leads the back third of the game, but Terra starts and ends the story, and is a major mover of it in one way or another until the World of Ruin. The game definitely has an ensemble cast, and Celes is important, but Terra most makes sense if we're to single out any one character as the most main character.

• Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    Terra would've checked every diversity box and been a better callback. I feel like they couldn't have done Chrono after they did the DQ Hero because they'd be really similar looking by default. There'd be ways to alter that silhouette, but that's a gameplay reason I don't think he fit... Should've been Marle.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    The problem with adding Chrono is how many people would be sad it wasn't any of the companions instead. Chrono himself is lame af

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Perhaps if Chrono had a moveset based on dual techs with the other characters.

Like, his Up-B could be Arc Impulse/Frost Arc, with him leaping off of Frog's back to do a diving slash.

Enlong on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    The problem with adding Chrono is how many people would be sad it wasn't any of the companions instead. Chrono himself is lame af

that didn't stop them from adding Cloud

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    Haven't had a chance to actually watch the reveal trailer, but is there any idea if there's new music? Or are we still stuck with the same two tracks?

the trailer had the black mages version of one winged angel

Didn't one of the previous DLC characters' trailer have music that didn't get added to Smash though?

Hero, incidentally also from Square-Enix, and was somewhat unsurprising for people who know about the composer for Dragon Quest's music.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    If the choices are "Chrono Trigger character" and "sword user", I think I'd rather have Frog than Crono.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

Celes leads the back third of the game, but Terra starts and ends the story, and is a major mover of it in one way or another until the World of Ruin. The game definitely has an ensemble cast, and Celes is important, but Terra most makes sense if we're to single out any one character as the most main character.

I don’t even consider Terra to end the story. She isn’t even one of the required characters to finish the game. The second half of the game is pretty much the Celes show staring Setzer and Edgar. Even Sabin was skippable I think.

Terra still is the main character if you had to pick one though. If not just because the games main theme also is named Terra’s theme I think. Ultimately though they intended for it to be a game without a true main character.

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »

I don’t even consider Terra to end the story. She isn’t even one of the required characters to finish the game. The second half of the game is pretty much the Celes show staring Setzer and Edgar. Even Sabin was skippable I think.

Terra still is the main character if you had to pick one though. If not just because the games main theme also is named Terra’s theme I think. Ultimately though they intended for it to be a game without a true main character.

Terra is the only character who shows up for the ending even if you never collect her for the final dungeon. No matter what, she flies in to lead the party out and have one last conversation with her father.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The real reason we're getting Sepiroth and not any other Final Fantasy character is, most likely, Squeenix insisted. They insisted on Cloud, after all.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    They are rather short sighted when it comes to listening to fans.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Whelk wrote: »

Do you honestly think fans of any other FF game dwarf the FF7 fanbase? It is a statistical certainty that you are wrong.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Instead of Chrono, add Toad knight.

gg no re

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options

Do you honestly think fans of any other FF game dwarf the FF7 fanbase? It is a statistical certainty that you are wrong.

I sorta feel like that reason has diminishing returns. Yeah, the first Square character in Smash would be Cloud, because "it's Cloud Strife". But then we get another character from the same game, presumably with the same reasoning. I dunno, I think we could've handled a less safe pick after we already got Cloud. But this is an opportunity to maybe get a third song from FFVII in the game, and possibly more than 0 spirits, too.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Sephiroth is more recognizable to non-FF fans than Cloud is, I say as a non-FF fan

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

There's a feedback loop there I think.

Although XIV might be closest? Shtola showing up would have been much more interesting to me for sure.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I just think ignoring the things your company has done for the past 25 years to focus on the glory days isn't in the best interest. I can accept that they want Cloud to be the face of the brand, but that decision ignores the games that actually were on Nintendo and everything they've done since. They just keep making brand decisions I personally find strange, but that's probably not in the scope of this thread.

I do like that they've allowed a character in Smash at all.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Should've been a moogle.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    I mean, it likely was Cloud the first time because FFVII remake was either just announced or at least announced near that time? Where Sephiroth also is most relevant because the FFVII remake was released not too long ago.

I think these characters were supposed to come out significantly earlier but Nintendo stated Covid 19 pushed everything back considerably. Would likely have felt a little more appropriate with FFVII remake hitting shortly before the announcement.

That being said, hey we should be getting FFVII remake on PC soon. Finally I will be able to partake.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    If anyone interested. New amiibo

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills