As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC! Thread Title Update

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    How much of Vertigo shutting down could be attributed to him?
    I have to imagine if Black Label didn't exist, Vertigo would still be around

And supposedly Black Label was his big idea

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Sounds like its legit

Also, Newsarama has confirmed Didio is no longer with the company in any capacity and it was very unexpected as he was still scheduled to appear at C2E2 next week

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It could also be something worse. Like, maybe the reason that asshole abuser Superman editor was allowed to stay around.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I should read Didio's OMAC run at some point. I heard it was great

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    It could also be something worse. Like, maybe the reason that asshole abuser Superman editor was allowed to stay around.
    It could be but speculating that kind of stuff with no grounds feels kinda ghoulish, IMO

I mean Didio is a scumbag for allowing that to happen, but still

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Oh shit is C2E2 next week?

I feel like I usually have a better grasp on these things, ugh, there are gonna be so many nerds on my train.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular

Eddie Berganza?

who is starting a publishing line with Eric M Esquivel because comics is a nightmare industry

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    It could be but speculating that kind of stuff with no grounds feels kinda ghoulish, IMO

I just find it weird that a performance issue would be this sudden.

It could also be a health thing, for example. I just went to the worst thing I could think of.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

I feel like I usually have a better grasp on these things, ugh, there are gonna be so many nerds on my train.

Yeah I haven't been for a few years and a lot of my friends go but man I just don't like spending $35 to go buy stuff anymore. At least at GenCon I get to play games

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

Eddie Berganza?

who is starting a publishing line with Eric M Esquivel because comics is a nightmare industry

Why would you tell me this

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

I just find it weird that a performance issue would be this sudden.

It could also be a health thing, for example. I just went to the worst thing I could think of.

kinda grody to be speculating like this tho, dogg

grody as hell

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    There is such a saturation of cons and events that it starts to become impossible to keep track imho

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Well the thing is it seems sudden to us but judging from the crossed wires and messaging with stuff like King's Batman it is clear editorial has been a mess for a while and lots of reports going around at the time mentioned that with the buyout DC was under more of a microscope than before

Spending the first half a year or more under your new bosses fucking up and having sales decrease across the board (individual titles did well but DC is down as a whole) is not a great look

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    The Tom King Batman kerfuffle was just so fucking weird.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
  • Options
    The Tom King Batman kerfuffle was just so fucking weird.
    It was wild

BC Reported it, DC denied it

Then later they confirmed it but spun it as WE DECIDED TO GIVE TOM THE FREEDOM HE NEEDS TO DO BATMAN/CATWOMAN

King says this doesn't affect anything and Bat/Cat will be out the month after his run ends

DC says Batman will go back to a monthly schedule

Then, afterwards:
    City of Bane is clearly severely rushed
    Bat/Cat is delayed to the point where they are refusing to give a release date
    Tynion is announced as the new writer and even after work has started DC changes it to twice monthly and he has to drop other books

Its such a mess

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    So BC, which as always should be treated as rumors at best but have had a pretty long history of accurate DC leaks for over a year now, is reporting that Didio was booted over a combination of talent and staff leaving the company at a high rate and the substantial editorial issues that have plagued DC's various lines for the past year.

Additionally, 5G is now up in the air a bit as it was Didio's big project and he was behind the whole NEW TIMELINE idea.

The lead-in issue also added the subtitle GENERATION ZERO: GODS AMONG US which is...an ominous title for something A) not in that particular universe and B) not written by Tom Taylor.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

I feel like it’s way earlier than usual, I remember it being like mid-to-late March most years

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I'll be honest about how I feel.

My first thought was that I hope this leads to Geoff Johns having more influence over the comic book side of DC, if not outright taking Didio's job. Allegedly, the last half decade of DC Comics has been a competition between Johns' vision and Didio's vision, with Johns slowly losing more and more ground to Didio. They say that Johns was the mastermind behind DC Rebirth, and that Didio was the driving force behind marginalizing or outright undoing most of the changes Rebirth made before they could have any lasting impact. I hope that Didio being let go is a sign that upper management has now realized they backed the wrong horse.

My second thought is that I really hope this means they're not going through with 5G as it is currently envisioned. I've been skeptical of 5G since it was first leaked, as it sounds like a doubling down on an idea that Marvel already proved doesn't work. Now that I know the entire project likely is and has always been a desperate gimmick to save Didio's job, I feel even worse about its chances of success. Some parts of 5G can probably be salvaged as an imprint or even just a mini-series, but implementing it as a line-wide replacement would be foolhardy in the extreme.

That being said, I've been a big fan of many of the things that Didio has worked on, going as far back as the the third season of the animated television show ReBoot. I may not have always approved of his handling of DC Comics, but I do wish him luck in his future endeavors.

• Options
    I would

Not be a fan of Johns taking power

Both from the fact that he appears to be shitty in leadership positions (his comics imprint was announced over a year ago and has had zero news, Candace Patton told a story where early on when filming Flash she talked to him [he was a Producer] and said she loved it and hoped she would get to dress up in a super suit some day and he brusquely said Iris would never ever suit up and Diane Nelson seems to hate his guts as she has actively distanced herself from him both on professional and personal levels) but also because he is more responsible for the direction of the DCU over the past 15 years than just about anyone and the good he did with that is vastly outweighed by the bad, IMO.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

I feel like it’s way earlier than usual, I remember it being like mid-to-late March most years

Yeah it's super early for sure. I feel like late March or even April is more standard.

Who wants to be in Chicago in fucking February?

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I should read Didio's OMAC run at some point. I heard it was great

Well Keith Giffen wrote it so that tracks

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Feels like every DC popular writer/editor has some astonishingly bad character take that drives me nutty. Johns extreme focus on Barry Allen and Hal Jordan really gets to me. Didio apparently tried to destroy Nightwing harder than Blockbuster ever did. Etc.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    DiDio should have been fired when Countdown was being published, if not sooner. If DC ever did well, it was despite him, not because of him.

sig.gif
  • Options
    the good he did with that is vastly outweighed by the bad, IMO

I guess we'll just have to disagree on that.

I think people forget how many DC properties were at an all time low, on the verge of permanent irrelevancy, before Johns swooped in and saved them. The Flash Rogues, the Justice Society, Green Lantern, the Teen Titans, Aquaman, the list goes on. Booster Gold would be a forgotten character today if Geoff hadn't reminded everyone why he's so great in 52 and his 2007 series. He's proven that he not only knows the A-listers inside and out, he can make the also-rans work too.

DC Rebirth gave us a brief taste of what it would be like to have his style of property rejuvenation applied to the entire line before it was all undone, allegedly by Didio himself. It was working. They should try it again.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Whereas I found just about everything he did with those characters bad, so... I don't think we're going to come to agreement here.

• Options
    Rebirth being Johns' baby is being grossly exaggerated, IMO

He wrote exactly 3 Rebirth era comics:
    The Rebirth one shot (which was, admittedly, fantastic)
    Doomsday Clock
    And Shazam

Of those, one was a single issue, one is a fun series that is actively avoiding being in continuity and super delayed and the other is a huge mess of a book that is both really bad and also was such an editorial clusterfuck it caused DC as a whole to scramble and come up with new directions for their lines and eventually give up on having it drive the universe

Johns may have got the ball rolling with Rebirth but it quickly became something he was barely involved with

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Whereas I found just about everything he did with those characters bad, so... I don't think we're going to come to agreement here.

Subjective opinions will always vary, and yours is by no means any less valid than mine, but I think the success of his runs, and the disastrous failure of the runs that preceded them in most cases, speaks for itself.

• Options

Subjective opinions will always vary, and yours is by no means any less valid than mine, but I think the success of his runs, and the disastrous failure of the runs that preceded them in most cases, speaks for itself.
    Johns turning GL from a third tier franchise to the tentpole of the line is genuinely impressive and something he deserves credit for

I think the majority of his GL run isn't very good, but it is a genuine achievement

The rest of the things you mentioned

Less so

Flash wasn't floundering before Johns, it was in a bit of a lull but Waid had his lengthy, loved run on the title not too long before Johns as well as the short Millar/Morrison run

The JSA did well but he didn't rebuild them into a huge dynamo, just made their book a consistent seller

And while he did really try to push Aquaman and got the character a spotlight, the work that came after (especially Abnett's run) is so much better it is hard to praise it beyond a "well, he sure did push Aquaman" level

This is also ignoring the other revamps he did like with Teen Titans which put the book into a shock based violent era that it still hasn't pulled out from and the complete mess that was the New 52 Justice League.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Johns turning GL from a third tier franchise to the tentpole of the line is genuinely impressive and something he deserves credit for

I think the majority of his GL run isn't very good, but it is a genuine achievement

The rest of the things you mentioned

Less so

Flash wasn't floundering before Johns, it was in a bit of a lull but Waid had his lengthy, loved run on the title not too long before Johns as well as the short Millar/Morrison run

The JSA did well but he didn't rebuild them into a huge dynamo, just made their book a consistent seller

And while he did really try to push Aquaman and got the character a spotlight, the work that came after (especially Abnett's run) is so much better it is hard to praise it beyond a "well, he sure did push Aquaman" level

This is also ignoring the other revamps he did like with Teen Titans which put the book into a shock based violent era that it still hasn't pulled out from and the complete mess that was the New 52 Justice League.

Also lets not forget Power girls reason for the Boob window.

• Options
    Rebirth being Johns' baby is being grossly exaggerated, IMO

He wrote exactly 3 Rebirth era comics:
    The Rebirth one shot (which was, admittedly, fantastic)
    Doomsday Clock
    And Shazam

Of those, one was a single issue, one is a fun series that is actively avoiding being in continuity and super delayed and the other is a huge mess of a book that is both really bad and also was such an editorial clusterfuck it caused DC as a whole to scramble and come up with new directions for their lines and eventually give up on having it drive the universe

Johns may have got the ball rolling with Rebirth but it quickly became something he was barely involved with

Geoff Johns was consulting with every DC writer for the first few months after Rebirth. He was already acting as publisher and editor-in-chief in an unofficial capacity. He didn't tell anyone about it because he knew it would be humiliating for Dan Didio and Bob Harris, and he wanted to spare them that embarrassment.

Turns out Didio was pretty humiliated by it anyway and convinced upper management to minimize Johns' influence, using the enormous early sales of The New 52 as his argument for why he should be put back in charge. Management offered Johns the ominously named Killing Zone imprint as a gesture of good will to show there were no hard feelings.

Considering you're someone who clearly pays a lot of attention to the behind-the-scenes parts of the industry, I'm surprised you don't already know about this. A lot of ex-DC writers have talked about how Johns was pretty much the king of DC in 2016.

• Options
    Yes

That was 4 years ago

Rebirth lasted those 4 years and many of its best titles/stories came after that initial launch and had zero involvement from Johns

Johns absolutely started Rebirth and was heavily involved with the beginning but the narrative you're pushing where he had his influence taken from him makes no sense

Dude was given his own comics imprint, put in charge of a direct sequel to Watchmen that also was originally billed to be the spine of the entire DCU and also Three Jokers.

I do not like Didio, but Johns clearly was still extremely well liked by the company as a whole and chose to step back and do other projects (along with his increased interest in the film and TV aspects of his position) and the idea that Johns selflessly put his entire career on the line for Rebirth and then had it stolen out from under him both doesn't line up with what actually happened and also reeks of gossip/bias

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    lmao three jokers

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    lmao three jokers
    Every few months Jason Fabok posts new art and says OH ITS STILL COMIN, Y'ALL and

Why

Why even do it at this point

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    imagine being the DC guy who fucked up the joker

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

Well fortunately there's two more

• Options
    wow i didn't realize geoff johns posted on the penny arcade forums

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    there was a movie

it won awards!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    there was a movie

it won awards!

yeah it was great when the joker's makeup in suicide squad won an oscar

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Well fortunately there's two more

Deck of nothing but Jokers
    52 cards in a deck
    52 weeks in a year
    Weekly comic