As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC! Thread Title Update

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I love long titles

Give me those fucking Panic at the Disco ass movie titles

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I love long titles

Jesse James is the best movie title of all time I love it so much

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Your Vice Is A Locked Room And Only I Have The Key is one of my personal favorites

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    After all the voicework he has done over the years, it is a goddamn treat to see live action Phil LaMar in supergirl

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I love long titles

Not Fiona Apple album titles?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

I like that design

Tom King handling New 52 Superboy instead of Lobdell would have been WILD

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I love long titles

Not Fiona Apple album titles?

Also good! My actual favorite in the style is Los Campesinos song titles, but I figured PatD was the most approachable reference.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    BlankZoe wrote: »

I like that design

Tom King handling New 52 Superboy instead of Lobdell would have been WILD

I think it was gonna be after Lobdell's run. He posted this on Facebook

aj1f10ao5diu.jpg

The New 52 Chimera debuted in Teen Titans Annual #1 (2015) which was also the return of Superboy at that point

• Options
    Ah, alright

I am gonna guess it would have been part of that DCYou launch then

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    We are in the DC thread and no one mentioned that John Carter of Mars also inspired Superman!

Its why he initially didn't fly but instead jumped around the city!

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    We are in the DC thread and no one mentioned that John Carter of Mars also inspired Superman!

No, Superman jumped around because that's what Jesus did

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular

No, Superman jumped around because that's what Jesus did

He also walked on water.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    Bleeding Cool got the Death Metal scoop early
    08o6o62rbjzz.jpg
    It is set following Justice League'a cliffhanger and Hell Arisen, with both the heroes and Legion of Doom losing to The Batman Who Laughs, who now rules Earth with his twisted Justice League. Batman leads the underground resistance which is barely alive, Superman is imprisoned and powering the sun and Wonder Woman and The Flash have made compromises to ensure regular citizen's survival. Wonder Woman is the lead, having gotten info that could allow the heroes to bounce back and overthrow the Batman Who Laughs and Perpetua and stop the Dark Multiverse's encroachment.

There will be a series of one shots, similar to the Dark Knights, showing dark multiverse mirror characters. But instead of Batman, they will be pulling from other DCU folks.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    if that pitch was against any other villain than batman who laughs itd be alright

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    twisted

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Half the reason The Batman Who Laughs sucks is his design, right

I can see myself digging a character who's "what if the Joker was also Batman", but this guy looks dumb

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I'm not sure I would give it a whole half, I think there's a lot to hate with the Batman Who Laughs

But the fact that he looks like an off brand Death Note does not help his case for sure

Straightzi on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hes just too much. And they shoved him everywhere. Like I love pancakes, but if every time I turned around Bob Harris was like "EAT THESE PANCAKES!" I'd get sick of them real quick.

And Bob Harris.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    For me its that he feels like he fell out of a Kelley Jones Elseworld knock off

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    For me its the name

Its too cute (LIKE THE MAN WHO LAUGHS GET IT), incredibly clunky and has bad mouth feel

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I don't actually mind his look

what's actually killing me is that he has brought the most irritating aspects of batman and joker's characters to the forefront

you know that friend you have who insists batman could win any fight because he has a contingency

Batman who laughs actually does that, and also he's a COLD PSYCHOTIC KILLER OOOOOOOOO at the same time and its just so fucking irritating

• Options
    Like, built into his backstory is "first he killed literally the entire justice league"

oh okay

Cool, neat

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I dunno why but it's making me think of Emperor Joker and how much I enjoyed that as a self contained one shot story, I never want to see it again but it was surprisingly fun

The man who guffaws is like the same except worse because he only has one character trait

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I think what bugs me the most is we just had ( or possible still happening , I'm a few issues behind still) is we had the whole Doom thing,
    and like Cosmic forces and multiverse level powers all fighting each other. Perpetua and the Monitors etc, but nope all of that is apparently nothing, and crazy batman is the true powerful thing.

Shit my eyes rolled so hard they are stuck.

especially since once you do this a few times in a row and keep ramping up the power levels, it feels like we're heading for a real lame deus ex last minute.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    but nope all of that is apparently nothing, and crazy batman is the true powerful thing.

the thing is, on a meta level, that's absolutely and literally true. :?
    batman can beat anyone. because.
    even when it makes no damn sense. doesn't matter.
    batman is the most memetic and/or marketable character, so he wins. always.

• Options
    but nope all of that is apparently nothing, and crazy batman is the true powerful thing.

At what point is this tautology though?

Can Batman beat everyone because Batman can be everyone, or can Batman beat everyone because Batman can beat everyone?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I submit that we have reached that point, and probably a while ago.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Another reason I'm not really caring about Death Metal is that we just had Last Knight on Earth, which clearly built off Metal's aesthetic.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Was last Knight on Earth any good?

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

So its Fables then?

• Options
    Okay, to contrast my being a grump about Death Metal

Superman: Heroes, the big one shot showing how the hero community deals with Clark going public, is basically perfect.

Every story is great, they range from thoughtful and sweet to hilarious, and I love it so much.

Highlights include:
    Booster Gold revealing he has known the whole time because everyone in his time knows the name Clark Kent and that it has been SO HARD not to spill

Diana and Bruce having a heart to heart about Bruce feeling jealous that he can't ever do what Clark did

Plastic Man not being able to get over that he fell for the glasses thing

And this story, which is my favorite:
    e88xxkmtgw1j.jpg
    x7hydf6833lz.jpg
    dkuzdjgnukht.jpg
    n2guf4zda1qn.jpg

I think this is the best the Superman line has been since I started reading comics and it is just so exciting and delightful

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Wait

Isnt this superman original superman not new 52 superman

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    New 52 Superman died at the beginning of Rebirth, this is original flavor

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

Technically he died...
    ...and got absorbed into Lana Lang alongside N52 Lois who also died and got sucked up. Lana did the Superwoman thing then until Superman Reborn which brought them back only to merge with the pre-Flashpoint Clark and Lois which fixed reality to how it was more or less supposedly gonna go before Dr. Manhattan's temporal fooling around-mucked up Flashpoint's reset. Though according to Doomsday Clock, the N52 now exists as it's own reality as well as whatever will happen after this 5G status comes and goes.

• Options

Right

So if this isnt his world why does he have the same memories as this history teacher

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options

Right

So if this isnt his world why does he have the same memories as this history teacher
    It...is his world?

Rebirth and everything that came since reset the DCU

Its how Wally West exists again and such

This is the original DCU, with some aspects of the New 52 incorporated

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Oh so everything merged at some point back to normalish okay

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Oh so everything merged at some point back to normalish okay

According to Doomsday Clock...
    ...the primary DC reality has a living will of it's own. It's why it keeps Superman and other heroes around even as time moves on, moving the goal posts on when they first become active unless there's a strict 'setting' for them like the JSA and WW2. It's also why Wally and other pre-FP stuff began to come back, because it began to fight against Dr. Manhattan's changes.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular

Superman: Heroes, the big one shot showing how the hero community deals with Clark going public, is basically perfect.

Every story is great, they range from thoughtful and sweet to hilarious, and I love it so much.

Highlights include:
    Booster Gold revealing he has known the whole time because everyone in his time knows the name Clark Kent and that it has been SO HARD not to spill

Diana and Bruce having a heart to heart about Bruce feeling jealous that he can't ever do what Clark did

e88xxkmtgw1j.jpg
    x7hydf6833lz.jpg
    dkuzdjgnukht.jpg
    n2guf4zda1qn.jpg

I think this is the best the Superman line has been since I started reading comics and it is just so exciting and delightful

I really love the small detail of Clark referring to the teacher as sir.

That boy was raised with good manners.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular

Highlights include:

e88xxkmtgw1j.jpg
    x7hydf6833lz.jpg
    dkuzdjgnukht.jpg
    n2guf4zda1qn.jpg

Superman confirmed

for himbo energy