As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC! Thread Title Update

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I mean, if they went all in and Glam Wonder Woman fought Death Metal Flash or whatever, it would be amusing, but I dom't trust them to not go overserious.

Was this the kind of tone Metal was going for? I didn't feel that.

But man, like Brutul Legends but DC characters would be cool. Disco Flash and Death Metal Wonder Woman and Hair Metal Superman and Glam Batman and oh man now that sounds like stupidly cool idea.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Wait no Punk Batman and Ska Robin with Punk-Pop Nightwing.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Wait no Punk Batman and Ska Robin with Punk-Pop Nightwing.

r6cuhwtxpjbg.jpg

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I guess I'm just remembering you being very excited/loving the ridiculousness of Dark Nights Metal and conflating it with the vocal people that complain about everything in every comic thread despite not reading anything (not you of course) that I'm just...tired? almost every time something is announced

That's on me though.
    Oh yeah I really, really loved Metal. It was ridiculous and fun and a breath of fresh air.

But Snyder really lost me over rhe course of his JL run (which is strictly just a personal taste thing) and the continued huge spotlight of the Batman Who Laughs and so here I am.

Its cool though, I got other books to read!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Since there's no IDW thread

I've been watching lock and key and I really like it

its important to note its an ADAPTATION and not a direct translation and that if thats what you want I don't think you'll like it

But it does some good work in trying to harness some of the trippy visual language but still be parseable, does good character work, and successfully (to me) translates the story from Horror/Fantasy to Fantasy/Teen Horror

I love those books and I've already seen a bunch of people on my facebook who would NEVER have read it say they're loving it, so its nice to see it get a bit more exposure

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

its important to note its an ADAPTATION and not a direct translation and that if thats what you want I don't think you'll like it

But it does some good work in trying to harness some of the trippy visual language but still be parseable, does good character work, and successfully (to me) translates the story from Horror/Fantasy to Fantasy/Teen Horror

I love those books and I've already seen a bunch of people on my facebook who would NEVER have read it say they're loving it, so its nice to see it get a bit more exposure

Im on episode 2 and some of the changes make me really nervous but I'm glad to see someone is liking it. Makes me feel more confident about continuing.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

Im on episode 2 and some of the changes make me really nervous but I'm glad to see someone is liking it. Makes me feel more confident about continuing.

I'm like 4 in and I am really digging it

I'm not like, wild about the changes but I think some of them are pretty necessary to make this into something that could be on netflix, and since everyone else passed on it I'm happy with what I've got

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

I watched the first episode last night and I mostly enjoyed it. I think the actor playing Bode is just a little too old for the script (he's 11 and Bode is written like he is in the comic, where he is 6 years old)

I don't mind the changes so far, but I think it'll take another episode or two for me to really grab the tonal change (like you said, it's very much Teen Horror instead of full-on horror, which is ok!)

• Options

I watched the first episode last night and I mostly enjoyed it. I think the actor playing Bode is just a little too old for the script (he's 11 and Bode is written like he is in the comic, where he is 6 years old)

I don't mind the changes so far, but I think it'll take another episode or two for me to really grab the tonal change (like you said, it's very much Teen Horror instead of full-on horror, which is ok!)

I will admit this, yeah

especially in the first episode it makes Bode seem
    really, really stupid, since he's acting a lot younger than he looks.

"okay lady in the well!" is way more understandable for a 6 year old than a 12 year old, for example

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I like metal but like all good things that have dope ending fights with awesome climaxes for the villains invetiably get tarnished

I'll probs pick it up after the fact same with Snyder's JL since I love crazy shit but I'm also expecting the gas pushed way to hard on the laughing dope sadly

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    the same person invented both the batman who laughs and jarro

this is hard to accept

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    the same person invented both the batman who laughs and jarro

this is hard to accept

they're basically exact opposites in tone, its wild

• Options
    lzfposyu5n4t.jpg

Is this anything

• Options
    an angel

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Is Kingdom Come a good read?

I saw a trade at a shop and I love the art in it but I decided I can just pick it up later, ive heard good things about it and I know the artist went onto Astro City which I also will get around to

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Is Kingdom Come a good read?

I saw a trade at a shop and I love the art in it but I decided I can just pick it up later, ive heard good things about it and I know the artist went onto Astro City which I also will get around to

Yes

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Kingdom Come is good and also is like twenty five years old at this point

So there are parts of it that definitely don't hold up

• Options
    it loses a bit of a punch taken out of its time period, yeah

some of its themes have been done better

but man, i re-read it a few months ago and it still hits like a truck when everything lines up

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah I won't disagree with that. Overall I still think it's a great book.

It's one of those books that I read like... right when I started getting into superhero comics. And there is some stuff in there that really doesn't work if you don't have enough familiarity with the genre or know the tenor of comics at the time. There's some stuff that's still really good of course, and even a few things that might work better, but I wouldn't call it approachable, necessarily.

• Options
    I like

Chubby superman

• Options
    I like

Chubby superman
    I am a big fan of Clark being more like

Burly and stocky versus a ripped greek god

It both makes sense (he doesn't need to work out much so his body wouldn't be cut that way) and would be a nice change

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    I like

Chubby superman

It both makes sense (he doesn't need to work out much so his body wouldn't be cut that way) and would be a nice change

superman should look like keith lee

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I like

Chubby superman

Gimme brick wall Superman and 6’8” Diana all day every day.

• Options
    Superman is why Smallville's biggest export is beef

• Options
    Superman should be a big beefy boy

Batman should be a lean, incredibly in shape acrobat

And Wonder Woman should be ripped as hell and taller than either of them

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    lzfposyu5n4t.jpg

Is this anything
    I have been waiting a goddamned eternity for someone to make a "Whiskey in the Jarro" joke.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I like

Chubby superman

superman should look like keith lee

Doomsday's reaction the first time he meets Clark

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    anything that reminds you of circus strongmen is a good look for Clark imho

And burly fits that

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    lzfposyu5n4t.jpg

Is this anything
    I have been waiting a goddamned eternity for someone to make a "Whiskey in the Jarro" joke.

You're welcome

• Options

nxt trinity:

keith lee, jazzy gabert, and ricochet

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    edited February 2020

5uvvd4sd9ot2.jpg
    RIP Darwyn Cooke

Garlic Bread on
  • Options

nxt trinity:

keith lee, jazzy gabert, and ricochet
    I was thinking Rhea Ripley for Diana but Jazzy is good too

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I got out my Absolute New Frontier to take that pic and it reminded me that I have a copy of Darwyn Cooke's art book from 2008 ("Retroactive") which only had 1,000 copies printed

It's not on sale anywhere online that I can see, and I don't want to sell it but now I'm wondering how much it would go for

• Options
    i'll give you twenty bucks

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    superman should be a hunk

• Options
    He should be a chunky hunk

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Superman should be a hunky chunk

Which is the clearly superior alignment

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    superman should be a himbo

• Options
    Clark is a Pulitzer prize winning journalist and author!

Booster Gold should be a himbo

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Why can't they be bimbos