As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Le Mans 24 Hours: Please stop crashing into Sophia Flörsch

• Options
    StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    I picked up F1 2019 because of the free weekend and the sale. Spent a few hours doing custom races with a friend and did my first ranked race this morning finishing 2nd. I took a 2 second penalty for corner cutting (I would argue i was pushed off the track but whatever) and still managed to open up the gap between me and 3rd to 3 seconds to nullify it.

My question is this, im playing on a controller and having a good time but am eyeing a wheel. Is the Thrustmaster T150 a solid entry point for me? Im not buying some crazy rig or anything and just want something I can clamp onto my desk that has force feedback mostly.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Stationary wrote: »
    I picked up F1 2019 because of the free weekend and the sale. Spent a few hours doing custom races with a friend and did my first ranked race this morning finishing 2nd. I took a 2 second penalty for corner cutting (I would argue i was pushed off the track but whatever) and still managed to open up the gap between me and 3rd to 3 seconds to nullify it.

My question is this, im playing on a controller and having a good time but am eyeing a wheel. Is the Thrustmaster T150 a solid entry point for me? Im not buying some crazy rig or anything and just want something I can clamp onto my desk that has force feedback mostly.

I only have a controller myself, and I personally won't upgrade until I can afford the Thrustmaster T300, or Logitech G29 if I get really super desperate. I find that trying to go budget on a wheel is never ever worth it in the end.

Edit: A season/league might be difficult, but if we can all find a time to get together once or twice a week we could get through a good portion of the season before this coronavirus stuff is over.

Veevee on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

I cannot speak directly about the T150, but those pedals look... flimsy.

I only have ever used the G27 and G29 (my current one), and I would probably not look for anything under that tier. The G27 (and G29) are on the noisy side, since they both have the same helical-gear mechanism, but otherwise it's very good entry level. The pedals are also nice, with the G29 being a small bump upgrade over the G27's due to the conical rubber brake-stop they added.

If you can find one for around $200, it's well worth it as a first wheel.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Drovek wrote: »

I only have ever used the G27 and G29 (my current one), and I would probably not look for anything under that tier. The G27 (and G29) are on the noisy side, since they both have the same helical-gear mechanism, but otherwise it's very good entry level. The pedals are also nice, with the G29 being a small bump upgrade over the G27's due to the conical rubber brake-stop they added.

Yeah I think the G29 is easily worth the money over the T150. The T150 is absolute bargian basement.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I have the g29 and really like it but I don't really have a basis of comparison.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I am also in the G29 camp, and love it. Took some config file changes to get the brake feeling right in ACC, but every other game it works really well.

Regarding a regular session with folks, my biggest restriction is that during the week I am not really available until 7-8pm CST (once the kiddo goes to bed). Weekends are more doable in the afternoon.

I've been focusing on ACC right now, and getting a feel for it, but did do a couple laps on F1 2019 last night. What a different feel, and I have to do some calibration on my wheel, because the turning feels mushy.

• Options
    Another thought I had, if we can't get ourselves aligned on time, is something I am calling "F1 Hot Lap Eliminator*"

* Nobody actually gets eliminated.

Essentially we start with AUS, we all try and do a hot lap in the Merc, before a certain day/time cutoff. We do that for each circuit, with some kind of scoring system. I've toyed with the idea of having some kind of car handicap, maybe the top three have to move down a car band (say from Top tier (Merc, Ferrari, RB) to mid tier (Haas, McLaren, Racing Point)) for the next circuit.

Thoughts?

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

I have got the T150 Pro - meaning it has 3 pedals and they are metal instead of plastic. I am happy with it so far (have had it since last summer).

• Options
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Another thought I had, if we can't get ourselves aligned on time, is something I am calling "F1 Hot Lap Eliminator*"

Essentially we start with AUS, we all try and do a hot lap in the Merc, before a certain day/time cutoff. We do that for each circuit, with some kind of scoring system. I've toyed with the idea of having some kind of car handicap, maybe the top three have to move down a car band (say from Top tier (Merc, Ferrari, RB) to mid tier (Haas, McLaren, Racing Point)) for the next circuit.

Thoughts?

Sounds good, but maybe use the generic multiplayer car instead of any of the actual cars.

Maybe even throw in a F2 hotlap special

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Thoughts?

Sounds good, but maybe use the generic multiplayer car instead of any of the actual cars.

Don't really know how you'd use the multiplayer car in what (as far as the game knows) would be a single-player session.

I mean, I'm assuming here this would likely be in time trial mode?

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Jazz wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »

Thoughts?

Don't really know how you'd use the multiplayer car in what (as far as the game knows) would be a single-player session.

I mean, I'm assuming here this would likely be in time trial mode?

Yeah, let me see if I can figure it out and come up with a rule set and a scoring spreadsheet.

Will play around with it.

EDIT: I have found a solution... who says one can't LAN race on their own! Writing up the rules and setting up the google sheet now, will post rules for review, and get some input from y'all.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Is there no Time Attack mode?

• Options
    edited March 2020
    PURPOSE

With the first few races of the season cancelled, we Formula 1 fans need our fix, and what better way to get it than through F1 2019 and a little competition. We're all over the place, timezone-wise, so I thought a nice little hot lap competition is in order. Our goal is to set the fastest lap on each circuit, over a given amount of time, whilst using the multiplayer car. We'll take the tracks in order, and we'll work based off the schedule below, with a hard cutoff on the noted end date, at noon Central Standard Time (US). Everyone will use the same rule set, and once you have a time you are happy with, you'll be able to update the spreadsheet with your time. You can always update your time, up until the cutoff, at which point i will lock things down.

RULES

These are the following settings you should set when setting up a LAN session (the only way to use the multiplayer car). I am only noting the important ones, and you would be well served saving these into a settings file for use throughout the competition.

SESSION OPTIONS

Category: Multiplayer Car
    Practice Length: Long (90 Minutes) *this is obviously so you have the most time to set a lap time
    Weather: Clear/Sunny
    Session Start Time: Day

RACE SETTINGS
    Vehicle Damage: Full
    Car Setup: Full
    Rules and Flags: On
    Corner Cutting Stringency: Strict
    Tyre Temperature: Surface & Carcass

ASSIST RESTRICTIONS
    Braking Assist: Off
    Anti-Lock Brakes: Off
    Traction Control: Off
    Automatic Gearbox: Manual *maybe automatic for controller users?
    Pit Assist: On
    Pit Release Assist: On
    Dynamic Racing Line: Off
    ERS Mode: Automatic

As noted above, you are attempting to set the fastest lap on any given course, with these settings. You can run as many laps as you please, and even use different assists in practicing, but, you must use these settings for your hot laps. Again, the honor system is at play here.

SCHEDULE

TBD

Thoughts on how we should schedule this is welcome. Right now I'm leaning towards 3 - 4 days per track, but am open to other suggestions.

SCORING

TBD *shrug*

I think this will be based on signups, or we can just follow F1 scoring rules? Also, do we want to segregate based on controller?

WRAP UP

While it is still a work in progress, I have setup a signup page on google sheets. Please follow this link, and put your forum name in there.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    PURPOSE.

SCHEDULE

TBD

Thoughts on how we should schedule this is welcome. Right now I'm leaning towards 3 - 4 days per track, but am open to other suggestions.

I would probably suggest a week long cycle, just so that we always have a weekend to try and set times. But that's just me.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Is this where I shamefully admit to using more assists than that? ABS and racing line, in particular, the latter primarily to highlight rough braking points... but hey, I'm a controller player who's more casual than I like to confess to :lol:

Guess I'd better git gud!

Jazz on
  • Options
    I am in :). Gives me an opportunity to pull out that game again. Haven't really played it since I bought it. Only played Gran Turismo Sport the whole time (and now NBA 2k20).

• Options
    Is this where I shamefully admit to using more assists than that? ABS and racing line, in particular... but hey, controller player who's more casual than I like to confess to :lol:

Guess I'd better git gud!

I once tried no assists on controller and it's actually really hard. We could probably allow some assists on controller? Would require some balancing, I guess.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Totally open to suggestions on this, as I haven't used a controller in a while.

Also, re:racing line, I still use it and will be doing most of my practice runs with it, up until it's time to set a lap. As of right now, I only know AUS, CHN, BAH and USA well enough to do it without racing line, so I am also taking this as an opportunity to learn some of the other tracks.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    ABS is pretty much a must with a controller, IMO, and I'd argue for allowing at least medium traction control too.

For normal gameplay, I'm long past having the time or inclination* to learn newer tracks in enough detail to shut off the racing line when I just want to play the game, and have really come to regard it as a visual manifestation of an F1 driver's expertise and preparation. But I'm cool with turning the line off for the actual timed laps, it's just gonna make me significantly worse on tracks I know less intimately from years gone by! But hey, that's half the fun, right?

Unfortunately the console versions don't include a LAN option, and looking on my Xbox copy setting up an unranked online session, set to invite only (the only feasible alternative), it won't let me start with no other players in the lobby. It's extra unfortunate because otherwise all the other required settings are there in Host Options. (edit: after fidding with settings it let me do it? Huh.)

* - younger me did have the time and inclination, which is how in the legendary F1GP, I managed to eventally win the World Championship (by one point, IIRC) on Ace difficulty (the hardest), with no assists besides auto gears and the suggested gear indicator for the next corner, with 100% race distance over a full season (1991 season in that game, so 16 races) with not allowing myself any restarts if I made a mistake (obviously rewinds weren't available then), I just had to live with it. From when the game came out, that took me four years to achieve, and it might still be my proudest ever gaming achievement.

Jazz on
  • Options
    ABS is pretty much a must with a controller, IMO, and I'd argue for allowing at least medium traction control too.

For normal gameplay, I'm long past having the time or inclination* to learn newer tracks in enough detail to shut off the racing line when I just want to play the game, and have really come to regard it as a visual manifestation of an F1 driver's expertise and preparation. But I'm cool with turning the line off for the actual timed laps, it's just gonna make me significantly worse on tracks I know less intimately from years gone by! But hey, that's half the fun, right?

Unfortunately the console versions don't include a LAN option, and looking on my Xbox copy setting up an unranked online session, set to invite only (the only feasible alternative), it won't let me start with no other players in the lobby. It's extra unfortunate because otherwise all the other required settings are there in Host Options. (edit: after fidding with settings it let me do it? Huh.)

* - younger me did have the time and inclination, which is how in the legendary F1GP, I managed to eventally win the World Championship (by one point, IIRC) on Ace difficulty (the hardest), with no assists besides auto gears and the suggested gear indicator for the next corner, with 100% race distance over a full season (1991 season in that game, so 16 races) with not allowing myself any restarts if I made a mistake (obviously rewinds weren't available then), I just had to live with it. From when the game came out, that took me four years to achieve, and it might still be my proudest ever gaming achievement.

I've gone ahead and made some updates, and have separated out the assists for controller versus wheel/pedal. Can you have a look at it and see if that works for controller? Also, I have turned on racing line for corners only for both. Why punish ourselves, right?

Link again to the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wNoRoewUeHxKZSrAj0iYE8ydSzHI6WpB-Zj7Fl5v1aA/edit?usp=sharing

• Options
  • Options
    Wonder when they will decide which races won't be raced for the 2020 season. Up til now they might have been able to fiddle with the schedule the rest of the year to hold the Australian, Bahrain, Vietnamese and Chinese GPs. But with postponing those 3 too, that plan is out the window.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Some of them are definitely getting cancelled. There's no way they can fit 6-7 races into the latter part of the season short of going weekly for nearly all of the season (if/when it starts).

• Options

I've gone ahead and made some updates, and have separated out the assists for controller versus wheel/pedal. Can you have a look at it and see if that works for controller? Also, I have turned on racing line for corners only for both. Why punish ourselves, right?

Link again to the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wNoRoewUeHxKZSrAj0iYE8ydSzHI6WpB-Zj7Fl5v1aA/edit?usp=sharing

I've only just noticed the requirement for manual gears. Oh darn :lol: Between that and no TCS, I'm boned :lol:

Mind you, at the moment it looks like I'm competing in a field of one, so that helps my chances a little. :wink:

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Excellent, this will be the motivation I need to hook my wheel back up.

• Options
    Speaking of Monaco, Prince Albert has tested positive for COVID-19. Apparently he's doing fine, and continuing to work from the office in his private apartments. So far he actually appears to be Monaco's only case.

• Options
    2021 rule changes postponed by a year.
    https://www.fia.com/news/2021-fia-formula-1-technical-regulations-postponed

Presumably this is so they can actually use this year's car for something :biggrin:

• Options
    altid wrote: »
    Some of them are definitely getting cancelled. There's no way they can fit 6-7 races into the latter part of the season short of going weekly for nearly all of the season (if/when it starts).

At this point, the season will be defined in a one-shot qualifying in the last track of the calendar.

Presumably this is so they can actually use this year's car for something :biggrin:

Oh for fuck's sake. I'd resigned myself to this being the last boring season (bonus points for it not even taking part) waiting for next year's more competitive one.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options

Makes complete sense. They know the chances of those cars turning a wheel in anger this year is remote, and it'll save the teams a fuckload of money, hopefully letting smaller teams have a better chance of survival.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I can deal with most of that except I think I do use ABS and I most definitely have the gears on auto so that will be my biggest learning curve.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Goddammit I've been putting off buying a new wheel and here you guys are doing this.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    good: monoco cancelled. this is a horrible race and we need to stop pretending this shit is worth being on the calendar

bad: 2020 rules extended for another year

given the current state of affairs I think they could consider just cancelling the entire season... or doing some exhibitions with old hardware, spec cars, anything

Jasconius on
  • Options
    I have baby ABS and TCS, and the corner racing line turned on. Controller is just about useless without ABS and TCS, and I feel the driving line is replacing the "I'm about to die" sensation that is lost in the transition to video game.

Also, something broke in my right trigger and it is now loose and I have to turn off trigger rumbles.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Just to confirm, Monaco is now officially cancelled (rather than merely postponed).
    Makes sense given the logistics involved in setting it up.
    Edit: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.monaco-announce-cancellation-2020-f1-race.4tpwalvxWpDL0uwRMnV9TI.html

altid on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    So, I set the first race to run from tomorrow until next Wednesday. Anyone who wants to join at any time is welcome. I would also state that even if you aren't using the same rules as prescribed, maybe just do it with what work for you, I'll add a column noting whether set with rule set or not.

Best of luck folks, and have fun with it!

EDIT: Could someone who inhabits the G&T steam thread publicise the comp over there?

oldmanken on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    So, I set the first race to run from tomorrow until next Wednesday. Anyone who wants to join at any time is welcome. I would also state that even if you aren't using the same rules as prescribed, maybe just do it with what work for you, I'll add a column noting whether set with rule set or not.

EDIT: Could someone who inhabits the G&T steam thread publicise the comp over there?

I'll hammer together a post. :+1:

Edit: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/42279780/#Comment_42279780

Jazz on
  • Options

I'll hammer together a post. :+1:

Edit: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/42279780/#Comment_42279780

Thanks!

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Just to confirm, Monaco is now officially cancelled (rather than merely postponed).
    Makes sense given the logistics involved in setting it up.
    Edit: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.monaco-announce-cancellation-2020-f1-race.4tpwalvxWpDL0uwRMnV9TI.html

I expect Azerbaijan will follow shortly for similar reasons.

Also, OP calendar updated.

Edit: PA Forum F1 Hot Laps added to OP (near the top). :)

Jazz on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I’m coming for you @Jazz

• Options
    I’m coming for you @Jazz

It's on like Hamilt-on. :)

This discussion has been closed.