As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Le Mans 24 Hours: Please stop crashing into Sophia Flörsch

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Found an old comparison of Nikki Thiim on iRacing vs Assetto Corsa Competizione

I haven't tried iRacing yet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ACCompetizione/comments/epjhfn/nicki_thiim_about_iracing_vs_acc/

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Well, I can't get through the third sector without dismantling my front suspension or wing, so I either need loads more practice at speed or we might need to adjust the difficulty for controller plebs. :P

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i endorse iRacing except for the extreme cost

I no longer do this because I don't have room in my house anymore for the simulator

the issue with iRacing ironically is that it's simulation is sometimes too "real", and if the tire model is not perfected, then the cars can feel like garbage... because the tire model is... instead of being an F1-grade Pirelli..... is more like the bargain tire at Walmart....

So depending on what car and what season and what patch iRacing can either be godlike or be very weird and questionable

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I have found a flaw in my rules/setup. Turns out, during a LAN practice session, it does not enforce track limits.

So with that in mind, do folks mind changing to maybe the McLaren as the base? Or maybe any car except the top three (Merc, Ferrari, Red Bull)? And then doing time trials?

Or would we rather go easy mode in the Merc? :).

oldmanken on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    63rfda8qqguq.png

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »
    I have found a flaw in my rules/setup. Turns out, during a LAN practice session, it does not enforce track limits.

So with that in mind, do folks mind changing to maybe the McLaren as the base? Or maybe any car except the top three (Merc, Ferrari, Red Bull)? And then doing time trials?

Or would we rather go easy mode in the Merc? :).

McLaren is a good middle ground, we can shift up or down to other cars to adjust a handicap that way if needed.

The trouble with time trials is things like the tyres always staying at optimal temperature no matter what you do, and no car damage. But it might be our best bet, and easiest to manage. And it lets console players (if any are interested) join in too!

And we could still try and figure out times to have actual races too, though I appreciate that's difficult.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Ok, I'll update the rules in the spreadsheet, but for this go at Australia, let's use the McLaren and conduct time trials.

As we go forward, we'll canvas opinion on what car we want to use for each track.

• Options
    This article will be updated as drivers are confirmed;

https://www.racefans.net/2020/03/20/every-f1-driver-invited-to-virtual-bahrain-grand-prix-but-who-will-enter/

So far Alpha Tauri and Haas have confirmed none of their drivers will enter.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

https://www.racefans.net/2020/03/20/every-f1-driver-invited-to-virtual-bahrain-grand-prix-but-who-will-enter/

We want Hulkenberg back!

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Well, I can't get through the third sector without dismantling my front suspension or wing, so I either need loads more practice at speed or we might need to adjust the difficulty for controller plebs. :P

Since so far it's just you and me, I think we might be able to make an executive decision on that if needed! :)

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Racing Point aren't in either.

But Latifi has confirmed from Williams. :+1:

• Options
    UK-based F1 teams responding to shortage of ventilators

Also Ferrari are making ventilators in Italy.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »

Since so far it's just you and me, I think we might be able to make an executive decision on that if needed! :)

Yes, maybe I’ll keep from losing it completely after T12 with a little computer assist. Lord knows I was having trouble being precise enough with controller.

If I had more time I’d get my wheel out but that involves too much effort without any school to care for my eldest kiddo.

• Options
    Y'all go ahead and update those Controller assists however you like. :)

Also, updated the spreadsheet rules again.

• Options
    All competitors in the Controller category of the Hot Laps have held high-level talks... er, that is to say, @davidsdurions and I messaged each other about it, and decided to be filthy casuals and change the controller restrictions to Traction Control: Medium and Automatic Gearbox: Automatic. Everything else will stay the same.

• Options
    One thing I am thinking of, when we get to Monaco, is using a classic car, more well suited to it's ridiculousness. Old Lotus or McLaren, perhaps?

• Options
    One thing I am thinking of, when we get to Monaco, is using a classic car, more well suited to it's ridiculousness. Old Lotus or McLaren, perhaps?

How about 1976 cars, the McLaren and Ferrari. Hunt vs Lauda style.

• Options
    I’ll be the first to post in-progress timing, that’s fine. This is with full track racing line still as I continue to try to get the sensitivity on the control sticks on my controller to some kind of comfort level. But I was actually able to complete a lap. Second sector is pretty good, I guess??
    Kq44ShN.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I'm going to intermittently update my times as I set fastest laps, once I get a good run at it tonight.

EDIT: I spent last night getting the wheel and pedals to feel right, then made my 'discovery'. That said, I like this idea better, presents some better variety.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    There's still time on the table up for grabs for the rest of the weekend, but this was a good banker lap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjhgHIlKLj0

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Also, have to say, glad y'all are jazzed about this, even if it does fizzle out down the road. Hell of a week being cooped up in the house with the baby, whilst juggling work (where I am on calls about COVID-19 all the time), so this has been a welcome distraction.

• Options
    Also, have to say, glad y'all are jazzed about this, even if it does fizzle out down the road. Hell of a week being cooped up in the house with the baby, whilst juggling work (where I am on calls about COVID-19 all the time), so this has been a welcome distraction.

Agreed. Being pretty much locked up at home has been draining for me. It's great to dust off the old wheel and forget a bit about this whole thing.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    NASCAR's doing iracing as well but what I want them to do is get 42 linked arcade machines of Daytona USA and race in that instead imo

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    I have F1 2017/2018 on PC/Ps4 respectively, so I know my times won't be competitive with y'all, but me and my roommates are huge fans and we're gonna try and drive along, we'll post times/settings has we have them.

• Options
    Meeqe wrote: »
    I have F1 2017/2018 on PC/Ps4 respectively, so I know my times won't be competitive with y'all, but me and my roommates are huge fans and we're gonna try and drive along, we'll post times/settings has we have them.

Do it! Good luck to you all, and feel free to update the spreadsheet accordingly. The more the merrier.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Considering I was rudely interrupted partway though sector 2, lost concentration and had to pause for a minute with two wheels on the grass, I'm quite happy with this:
    8p5jw2u0ebuq.jpg
    e8gm3pbq3y1u.jpg

Got your S2 times in my sights, @Drovek and @davidsdurions :)

(Half a f'king second, grumble grumble :lol: )

(I popped your current time into the Google doc too, @davidsdurions )

Meeqe wrote: »

The 2018 ones in particular shouldn't be too massively far off, but yeah, feel free to join in! It might be worth us using classic cars that are in all those games to level it out a bit for future sessions too :)

(This is where I grumble about F1 2019 dropping the 1995 Ferrari, the last of the V12s. A piece of history... :sad: )

Jazz on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Dirty controller with braking line, ABS, and medium TCS Edit: with Manual gears
    1:24.039
    6eabbzwi2rx1.jpg

Veevee on
  • Options
    *Solid Snake voice*

Custom setup, huh...

• Options
    Slightly better S2, just for you, @Jazz :P

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    TWR and Jaguar - When the big cat roared | Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsmwcxuPwQM

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    altid on
  • Options
    Also, virtual Bahrain GP is tomorrow at 8pm GMT

• Options
    Got some work to do... First session (only 4 laps), I managed a 1:27.246. I can find some time in corner 3 and into 4, I just haven't quite figured them out yet. Can also probably improve on 11 as well, but that I am slowly getting better at.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    You can look at the telemetry of the run of any ghost you are racing against. It'll show you the line they took and when they were on throttle or brake. You can also try their set up if you think it might be better

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »
    You can look at the telemetry of the run of any ghost you are racing against. It'll show you the line they took and when they were on throttle or brake. You can also try their set up if you think it might be better

Hey, Jazz, gimme your ghost.

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »

Hey, Jazz, gimme your ghost.

If you bring up friends on the leaderboard, you can choose their ghost from there.

And hey, I'm honored! :)

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Managed to hammer in a 1:26.xx in Aus on F1 2018 with the Mclaren, I switched from controller to wheel/pedal pretty recently and I am SO much slower somehow. I'll get it down though!

Meeqe on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    This is with ABS, Medium Traction On, on an Automatic with corners strict. Should have that on there!

Also the Haas from that year (Oh god 2018 was bad for Orange) is an absolute joy compared to that Mclaren.

Meeqe on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Virtual Bahrain GP updates.

Bad news:
    Update: F1 race drivers who will not take part

Sebastian Vettel
    Charles Leclerc
    Max Verstappen
    Alexander Albon
    Daniel Ricciardo
    Esteban Ocon
    Romain Grosjean
    Kevin Magnussen
    Daniil Kvyat
    Pierre Gasly
    Sergio Perez
    Lance Stroll

So, basically, not Ferrari, Red Bull, Renault, Haas, AlphaTauri or Racing Point drivers.

Verstappen:
    “I don’t play that game and I would have to adapt to it,” said Verstappen. “That would take a few days, and that doesn’t make much sense as I’m busy with other things, other games. I would have to switch too much, and that doesn’t work.”

“I would be running around the back, and I don’t enjoy that,” he added.

Good news:
    Drivers confirmed for Virtual Bahrain Grand Prix

(Excuse the shit formatting, middle column is driver numbers which is why most are TBC)

Mercedes TBC Stoffel Vandoorne
    Mercedes TBC Esteban Gutierrez
    Ferrari TBC Robert Shwartzman
    Ferrari TBC Dino Beganovic
    Red Bull TBC Philip Eng
    Red Bull TBC Chris Hoy
    McLaren TBC TBC
    McLaren TBC TBC
    Renault TBC Guanyu Zhou
    Renault TBC Ian Poulter
    Alpha Tauri TBC TBC
    Alpha Tauri TBC TBC
    Racing Point TBC Jimmy Broadbent
    Racing Point TBC TBC
    Alfa Romeo TBC TBC
    Alfa Romeo TBC TBC
    Haas TBC TBC
    Haas TBC TBC
    Williams 6 Nicholas Latifi
    Williams TBC TBC

Nico Hulkenberg, Anthony Davidson and Johnny Herbert will also participate, but the teams they will drive for have not yet been confirmed.

So you Jimmy Broadbent fans can get excited now! And good old Chris Hoy, top bloke.

Woohoo Hulkenberg, Ant Davidson, holy shit, Johnny Herbert! Absolute legend! Awesome! I'm now officially a bit stoked. :)

Jazz on
This discussion has been closed.