As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Lego] Thread

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Thinking about it, we've already had several Gunships Having a non-minifig scale one doesn't sound as appealing. I'd also like another minifig scale TIE Bomber more than a USC one so Nebulon-B it is.

Yeah out of the three that's the only one that hasn't been made before. Plus it would fit with the ISD quite nicely... If I had the ISD.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Thinking about it, we've already had several Gunships Having a non-minifig scale one doesn't sound as appealing. I'd also like another minifig scale TIE Bomber more than a USC one so Nebulon-B it is.

I dunno, wouldn't a proper minifig scaled Gunship be accurate? Those things are bigger than they are usually represented in toys..

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    The nice thing about the change in the Speed Champions design is that I feel no compulsion to look back at the older sets.

Going forward, though. This could be a problem.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    The nice thing about the change in the Speed Champions design is that I feel no compulsion to look back at the older sets.

Going forward, though. This could be a problem.

I saw a couple on clearance and was like OOH... then I remembered how good the new models are going to be...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

I dunno, wouldn't a proper minifig scaled Gunship be accurate? Those things are bigger than they are usually represented in toys..

Yeah but I have one and they would probably make a better minifig one anyway in a year or too. There isn't really a possibility of a Nebulon outside of a USC.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Thats cool! although, technically thats just a Sychrotron accelerator not a collider. What you need to do is build two of those, and then use them to inject lego balls into a much larger accelerator where the balls travel on separate tracks, crossing periodically at the target zones. That way you'll get the most collision energy out of your acceleration and angle management capability :)

Get the particles up to speed in a smaller accelerator, then maintain speed in the larger one allowing a constant flux of head on collisions :)

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »

Thats cool! although, technically thats just a Sychrotron accelerator not a collider. What you need to do is build two of those, and then use them to inject lego balls into a much larger accelerator where the balls travel on separate tracks, crossing periodically at the target zones. That way you'll get the most collision energy out of your acceleration and angle management capability :)

Get the particles up to speed in a smaller accelerator, then maintain speed in the larger one allowing a constant flux of head on collisions :)

Also get those up to 20 balls per minute so they can be incorporated into the Great Ball Contraption mechanisms at cons. :D

Athenor on
  • Options
    Oh wow. I was actually surprised today, and it changed my entire shopping pattern:

Meijer had the Captain Marvel polybags! The one with her in Kree gear, the phone booth, and Nick Fury.

... I still want a Rambeau minifigure something fierce. :(

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    This is mainly for @Athenor, but alright, everyone else can look too.

Chubbybots, a Lego YouTube who builds bots and mechas of all sorts and sizes, is working on a Gojulas Giga MOC:
    https://www.youtube.com/post/UgyPEJ4TdWPEuji4OdV4AaABCQ

• Options
    Oh my GOD

.... Technically that's King Gojulas not Gojulas Giga, but that's neither here nor there!

510-ol1fJhL._AC_SX425_.jpg

41S4BK8VYZL._AC_SX425_.jpg

• Options
    Unfortunately, I am not a Zoids scholar, so I just passed along what his (erroneous! misleading! strip him of his nerd creds!) post said :redface:

I thought that looked very different from the model you were posting in the Gunpla thread, but I chalked it up to my ignorance of the subject matter.

• Options
    I asked him about it, and he said it was Gojulas inspired more than anything, and he might change the name. I then linked him the gallery to the build I did over in the SE++ gunpla thread.

Reposting here in case anyone's curious.

https://imgur.com/gallery/VnEQLcE

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Lego Dots has officially been revealed:
    https://brickset.com/article/48616/lego-dots-press-release

EDIT: Oh, this has better photos:
    https://www.brothers-brick.com/2020/01/28/lego-dots-revealed-new-arts-and-crafts-theme-puts-emoji-tiles-front-and-center-news/
    END EDIT

This is certainly not targeted at me, so I dunno if the target audience will care about this or not. All I know is that I want 100 copies of every tile with an emoji on it, and I want to plaster them all over every surface I can see.

More seriously, this is going to be a good way for folks to get large sets of all those 1x1 tile variants. I expect them to start appearing all over the place in MOCs. Frankly, I wouldn't mind getting some handfuls to just idly fidget with them. Those bracelets look really cool, but it seems like each time you wear one out, you are guaranteed to lose like 5 tiles off of it. And, I'm not actually kidding about wanting the emojis.

Also those tiny round tiles look like candy and my brain just keeps saying "Scoop them up. Put them in your mouth."

Delduwath on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    More pictures and pricing information over on TBB for Lego Dots:
    https://www.brothers-brick.com/2020/01/28/lego-dots-revealed-new-arts-and-crafts-theme-puts-emoji-tiles-front-and-center-news/

Can't help but think we may be a few years past picture holders being a relevant product line. Don't see many people with paper pictures around anymore.
    Maybe if it was a cell phone stand?

see317 on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Those little printed titles would be useful for stuff.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    There are some really nice and detailed patterns. Surprising that they can get such a degree of detail on 1x1 tiles.

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    More pictures and pricing information over on TBB for Lego Dots:

Can't help but think we may be a few years past picture holders being a relevant product line. Don't see many people with paper pictures around anymore.
    Maybe if it was a cell phone stand?

I have a few photos of my family on my desk at work, and I might be tempted to Lego them up a bit.

And my 5yo is exactly the target market for that unicorn wristband.

• Options
    Lego Dots designer video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpLmRQCCojM
    This makes is seem really appealing.

(Couldn't find that video on the official LEGO channel, so linking the version that I did find)

• Options
    Hmm, those look interesting. I wonder if my Niece would like them.

Also what is MOC? I just read that as Mint on Card.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    "My Own Creation". Literally anything made out of Lego that wasn't built according to instructions. Oh, did you happen to put one block on top of another? Technically a MOC.

The Lego fandom is chockablock (a-ho-ho do you see what I did there) with acronyms for just about everything, including things that don't really need special terms.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Ah ok. That... That is just weird and has to be from Engineers playing with Legos. Engineers love to make acronyms for everything.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Are you an adult who enjoys Lego? You're AFOL.

(Adult Fan Of Lego)

• Options
    Did you use a piece in some clever, possible unexpected way? That's NPU.

(Nice Part Usage)

Honestly, this is easy to make fun of and I do it readily, but also I deeply appreciate all of these dorky acronyms that do, in fact, serve a function in online Lego discourse.

Hmm, what? Am I an engineer? Yeah, why do you ask?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Luckily, there's glossaries out there if you want to make sure that you can converse with any AFOLs who might want to compliment your SNOT-centric MOC with extreme NPU without coming off as a real AHOL

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I wonder how much of the Dots line is repurposed from the Brickheadz line. Was always sad brickheadz didn't do better (while also never getting any) but was always tempted because of all the 1x1's they came with.

So this seems like a great solution. Gonna get so many pink and purple 1x1's.

And 1x1's with cats on them!!

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I wonder how much of the Dots line is repurposed from the Brickheadz line. Was always sad brickheadz didn't do better (while also never getting any) but was always tempted because of all the 1x1's they came with.

Brickheadz did poorly?
    I'm kind of surprised to learn that, because they always seem like a great price point and with the combined appeal of PoP! Figures and Lego, you'd think they'd be huge.
    And there is always some new cultural icon to put into BH form (or old cultural icon to refresh as a BrickHeadz).

• Options
    I dunno how well they did financially, but I drool every time I see a new BrickHeadz set (which I never do when seeing Funko Pops). I've bought a bunch of them over the years, including the Go Brick Me set (which is one of the coolest sets I've gotten in years).

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Did you use a piece in some clever, possible unexpected way? That's NPU.

(Nice Part Usage)

Honestly, this is easy to make fun of and I do it readily, but also I deeply appreciate all of these dorky acronyms that do, in fact, serve a function in online Lego discourse.

Hmm, what? Am I an engineer? Yeah, why do you ask?

Oh I'm an Engineer too. Which is why I know there are tons of useless acronyms. Heck I think we even came up with an acronym for useless acronyms... But I am unable to remember it or recall it from my memory.

On another note. I actually bought my first Brickhead ever. It is the Lucky Cat one. Just because I should have one in my house and this one is perfect. Now I need a Lego Daruma.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I have a coworker who used AFOL as a word outloud once and it threw me for a loop to parse it. I was like... ".... yeaah? I'm a toy collector, of course I love Lego."

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Brickheadz did poorly?
    I'm kind of surprised to learn that, because they always seem like a great price point and with the combined appeal of PoP! Figures and Lego, you'd think they'd be huge.
    And there is always some new cultural icon to put into BH form (or old cultural icon to refresh as a BrickHeadz).

Ya they seemed like such a great product, and I will say it's anecdotal my guess on them not doing well, but the 2 stores I frequent for lego, that usually have a decent rate of all sets flowing off the shelves fairly fast, but the Brickheadz display was almost always full, usually a bit dusty, and rarely would a set vanish off it's stand, even after multiple price drops. Might have just been our area.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    You all forgot the best Lego acronym: SNOT! (Studs Not On Top)

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    You all forgot the best Lego acronym: SNOT! (Studs Not On Top)

I definitely did not forget it.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    ymtxpwdwy48f.png

7ybg48btl1as.png

ivf40x6jjapb.png

ghodzgveu47i.png

bj4wyubsfoa4.png

Commission: Museu da Imaginação, São Paulo (permanent exhibition)

Parts: ~66,000

Scale: 1:650

Dimensions: 91in x 54in (231cm x 137cm)

Design Time: 300+ hours in 32 days

Build Time: 220+ hours in 24 days

PC: Brianda Mireles

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64310298@N06/albums/72157712287103417

Brolo on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Just wow.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Sooo... $3,000 Lego Architecture set? :D

• Options
    I mean, at 66,000 pieces and ~$0.10 per piece, that's more like a $6,000 set.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I mean, at 66,000 pieces and ~$0.10 per piece, that's more like a $6,000 set.

Ah, so architecture markup, $9,000. Gotcha.

I just plucked a number out of no where. :)

• Options
    There are leaked set names for a Summer Wave of Hidden Side! I am happy since I didn't think it would get more than 1 wave. Also my nephew really likes them.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Being the weak (and now much poorer thanks to this hobby) person I am I have already ordered the ISS to go along with my Saturn V and Lunar Lander.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
This discussion has been closed.