Options

[Impeachment] for ... Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Dunder wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    Well.

The Daily Beast: EXCLUSIVE: More potential whistleblowers are contacting Congress to participate in the House Democrats’ impeachment inquiry
    A source said that the daily accumulation of revelations about Trump’s willingness to use U.S. foreign relations for his personal political benefit has prompted more people to approach Congress

Honestly I hope this kind of tempers the spines of house members. So many were unwilling to even whisper impeachment, but now that they have the dam has burst on the trump admin.

Frankly, I'm thinking the real question is how the republicans are going to respond to this; the longer they lash themselves to the cause of trump the harder it's going to be to survive in future elections outside of the most blood red states.

I’m wondering how many are criminally implicated. If nothing else, how many have taken Russian money and intelligence to help their campaigns?

The bottom of this well may be very deep.

Yup. Going whole hog on this nvestigation will devastate the republican ranks and basically eliminate their party leadership

Good. The Republican Party must be destroyed.

Trump is not an aberration. He's the logical conclusion to American conservatism.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    Well.

The Daily Beast: EXCLUSIVE: More potential whistleblowers are contacting Congress to participate in the House Democrats’ impeachment inquiry
    A source said that the daily accumulation of revelations about Trump’s willingness to use U.S. foreign relations for his personal political benefit has prompted more people to approach Congress

Honestly I hope this kind of tempers the spines of house members. So many were unwilling to even whisper impeachment, but now that they have the dam has burst on the trump admin.

Frankly, I'm thinking the real question is how the republicans are going to respond to this; the longer they lash themselves to the cause of trump the harder it's going to be to survive in future elections outside of the most blood red states.

I’m wondering how many are criminally implicated. If nothing else, how many have taken Russian money and intelligence to help their campaigns?

The bottom of this well may be very deep.

Ever since we've gotten news about the ties between GOP and the Russians and even the NRA, it's become clear that this kind of anti-corruption investigation is an existential threat to establishment republican politics. Because they are all tied up in massive amounts of corruption and dirty often foreign election money. They can't give on this issue beyond maybe throwing a few sacrificial lambs into the fire and then slamming the door shut on looking further as hard and fast as possible.

shryke on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Both CNN and ABC news are reporting that Rudolph Giuliani is the subject of an investigation that saw two men he has previously referred to as his clients arrested.

Tweet is from a helpful legal expert on Twitter, link goes to ABC news.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    You mean the guy that went on national TV and held up his phone with texts about committing crimes while saying he did crimes is the subject of a criminal investigation?!

Man, what a curveball.

• Options
    I swear to goodness if Trump ends up with two of his lawyers in prison I will laugh like a drain.

• Options
    I swear to goodness if Trump ends up with two of his lawyers in prison I will laugh like a drain.

Not a criminal, just hires all the criminals, hangs out with them, and tells them to indirectly insinuates they should do criminal things.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    We are seeing major events every godsdamned day. Stooges are being monitored and arrested, leaking to the press is now a pastime for aides and staff, and more people are emboldened to become whistleblowers. The media is delighted to report on all of it. I've been reluctant to get too excited, but now I think it cannot be denied.

The dam is unraveling.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I wouldn’t be surprised if all these whistleblowers are coming forward in part because of how frantic the Trump administration has become the past couple of weeks.

Just the reports of Trump lashing out at whistleblowers those that helped them, calling them spies along implied death threats and with wanting polygraph tests. It must be making the environment even more toxic and stressful than the usual waste dump it is. It’s creating a feedback loop of Trump lashing out, someone coming forward, Trump lashes out harder, two more come forward, Trump lashes out harder, etc

I think we’re finding ourselves in a Governor Tarkin v Princess Leia situation, The more they tighten their grip, the more whistleblowers come forward.

Hopefully things come to a halt before Alderaan is destroyed as a demonstration.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Dams don't unravel. They aren't sweaters!

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I also suspect they might be trying to destroy records like crazy right now, which usually gets people leaking real fast too.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

Maybe the dam in the metaphor isn't a very good dam!

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

The sweater is about to burst

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    I think we’re finding ourselves in a Governor Tarkin v Princess Leia situation, The more they tighten their grip, the more whistleblowers come forward.

Hopefully things come to a halt before Alderaan is destroyed as a demonstration.

Too late, Kurdistan says hi.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

The sweater is about to burst

We're on the edge of a precipice of a runaway train (yes, that's an actual quote from a politician years ago).

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Meeqe wrote: »

Too late, Kurdistan says hi.

Actually Kurdistan says many things, all of which are very sad and/or angry and some which are unprintable. :(

And then there's the camps we're running. For concentration.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Wow, has Trump Derangement Syndrome caused you all to begin mixing your metaphors?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    This whole episode is basically the final level of a video game, except instead of fighting every boss from the game, we're revisiting every political scandal ever committed in modern history.

I just want to know when Cornered starts to play.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    CNN reporting that the White House and State Department directed Yovanovich not to testify today (which she is currently in the middle of doing). Dems found out last night and subpoena'd her, and she complied with the subpoena.

• Options
    It’s worth mentioning by the way that Giuliani is in the middle of a very acrimonious divorce.

Which makes all of his financial records discoverable.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Wow, has Trump Derangement Syndrome caused you all to begin mixing your metaphors?

The Sandwich of Justice is inflating the Stomach of Lies and soon the Buttons of Crime will pop off and the Sweater of Corruption will unravel.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    CNN reporting that the White House and State Department directed Yovanovich not to testify today (which she is currently in the middle of doing). Dems found out last night and subpoena'd her, and she complied with the subpoena.

I'm guessing closed session?

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Both CNN and ABC news are reporting that Rudolph Giuliani is the subject of an investigation that saw two men he has previously referred to as his clients arrested.

So this is the second of Trump's personal attorneys to be accused of engaging in campaign finance fraud for him. I wonder how many cases he'll wind up in as an unindicted co-conspirator.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

The Sandwich of Justice is inflating the Stomach of Lies and soon the Buttons of Crime will pop off and the Sweater of Corruption will unravel.

The shoe is well and truly on the other sock

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    I think I just had a metaphorical stroke.

Thanks @Madican.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The ukraninan ambassador that was removed from her post because she didn't back this bullshit is testifying to the impeachment inquiry today.

The White House is just so concerned for her appearing without a lawyer despite there being absolutely nothing illegal that might be uncovered.

NBC News:

Politico got her opening statement:

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/11/yovanovitch-deposition-trump-ukraine-000282
    Yovanovitch said she had “minimal contacts” with Giuliani, adding: “I do not know Mr. Giuliani’s motives for attacking me.” She speculated that Giuliani’s associates “believed that their personal financial ambitions were stymied by our anti-corruption policy in Ukraine.”

She also said U.S. interests are “harmed” when “private interests circumvent professional diplomats for their own gain, not the public good.” It appeared to be a reference to Giuliani’s efforts to leverage government officials to dig up dirt on Biden.

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    moniker wrote: »

So this is the second of Trump's personal attorneys to be accused of engaging in campaign finance fraud for him. I wonder how many cases he'll wind up in as an unindicted co-conspirator.

Sounds like he should probably get a lawyer!

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    Politico is reporting that Ambassador Yovanovitch was directed by the state department not to appear for her voluntary interview with the House today, which is why they issued a subpoena.

Natasha is Politico’s National Security correspondent

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Cambiata was warned for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfU69_up02Y

ElJeffe on
    Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    It’s worth mentioning by the way that Giuliani is in the middle of a very acrimonious divorce.

I don't think he's ever had a divorce that wasn't acrimonious. The last one saw him kicked out of Gracie Mansion by his ex-wife while he was the Mayor.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User, Moderator mod
    Politico is reporting that Ambassador Yovanovitch was directed by the state department not to appear for her voluntary interview with the House today, which is why they issued a subpoena.

And what were they going to do at this point anyway? Fire her again?

• Options

I don't think he's ever had a divorce that wasn't acrimonious. The last one saw him kicked out of Gracie Mansion by his ex-wife while he was the Mayor.

Well I’ve seen more than a few lawyers point out that if the cash referred to in this case doesn’t appear in his tax records and his accounts then his currently trying to be ex wife will be able to take him to the cleaners.

Although if he’s in prison he probably gets out of having to pay alimony.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Well I’ve seen more than a few lawyers point out that if the cash referred to in this case doesn’t appear in his tax records and his accounts then his currently trying to be ex wife will be able to take him to the cleaners.

Although if he’s in prison he probably gets out of having to pay alimony.

He left a paying job at a law firm and is currently working for the President pro bono specifically to avoid paying alimony.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    So... could be interesting times ahead.

"WATCH: "When the indictment itself says that this conspiracy involved others known and unknown, there are others that are being investigated... When I read this indictment... I smell not only human informants but I also smell a wiretap" - @FrankFigliuzzi1 w/ @NicolleDWallace"
    - Nicole Wallace is an MSNBC Host, Frank Figliuzzil is a former FBI Assistant Director.

Summary is, with the details provided in the indictment, there is the likelihood that a wiretap or some other electronic surveillance was used, and that Giuliani (or others) may have been recorded, and so what they say going forward could damn them in that they might not be able to deny knowledge.

Well, they're boned. Lester Freamon is on them.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

Per the article (which isn't too long and everyone should read) she is still a State Dept employee.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »

Especially since he himself is just a simple country lawyer

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »

Especially since he himself is just a simple country lawyer

Well, 1 of 3, at least.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

Per the article (which isn't too long and everyone should read) she is still a State Dept employee.

Is there an argument to be made that the order not to testify would be unlawful?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »

Is there an argument to be made that the order not to testify would be unlawful?

The subpoena gives her cover anyways, since it legally compels her to appear.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular

Natasha is Politico’s National Security correspondent

HELL YES! This right here is exactly what many people on this board have been asking for. The House found out about the White House tampering with testimony so they immediately fired of a subpoena. Like, less than 12 hours (apparently, correct me if I'm wrong) was the subpoena issued. That's light speed for Congress.

• Options
    HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    Now start arresting people who defy subpoenas.

This discussion has been closed.