Options

[Impeachment] for ... Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Hirocon wrote: »
    Now start arresting people who defy subpoenas.

Ehhhhhhhh. I'm not totally against Congress using that power, but every other option besides arrest needs to be tried first. It's important for the the opinions of the public and the courts to be on our side, and going straight to cuffs, while morally and legally justified IMO, will not achieve that.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »

Ehhhhhhhh. I'm not totally against Congress using that power, but every other option besides arrest needs to be tried first. It's important for the the opinions of the public and the courts to be on our side, and going straight to cuffs, while morally and legally justified IMO, will not achieve that.

asking them and ordering them is every other option

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

You can start by slapping them with fines first though.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

I'd agree if they weren't being bankrolled by the gop

they could be fined forever and shrug it off

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Is there a limit to the fines? I imagine if it's high enough daily, it'll grab their attention. They are all about $$$ afterall.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    Is there a limit to the fines? I imagine if it's high enough daily, it'll grab their attention. They are all about $$$ afterall.

There's definitely a line the courts would say no at, but I don't know if anything's codified. It's supposed to scale with who's being fined I think, as the point is to make ignoring it hurt? IANAL, so...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

We know that, but gen pop doesn't, and we need to pretend like we don't know it for the sake of the courts.

Note I'm not certain this or any other tactic is best. This situation is genuinely unprecedented so who can say what is best.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Fines should work for most of these guys, everything they do is to protect their financial interests.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Speaking of subpoenas, with everything going on this story has been lost in the mix today. The finance editor of the New York Times is reporting that at some point Deutsche Bank destroyed their copies of Trump’s tax returns.

This is not normal procedure and apparently can only be done at the account holder’s request.

It means Trump asked / demanded that they do this, and it means the IRS now hold the only copies. Unless those too have been destroyed.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Speaking of subpoenas, with everything going on this story has been lost in the mix today. The finance editor of the New York Times is reporting that at some point Deutsche Bank destroyed their copies of Trump’s tax returns.

This is not normal procedure and apparently can only be done at the account holder’s request.

It means Trump asked / demanded that they do this, and it means the IRS now hold the only copies. Unless those too have been destroyed.

Most of the tax return push has been against Mazers, not Deutsche Bank. It's still a big deal, and if it happened after the legal battle began seems like an enormous problem.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

I could def see them doing the calculus to see how much they think fines will cost them vs how long this will take, and if they can afford to hold out long enough then it'd be worth biting the bullet if it results in a 'win'. Maybe let a few little fish go but protect the main school, that sort of thing.

I don't think one can overestimate the stakes here; the GOP wants total control and this is the closest they've come yet. A hit to the budget, even a big one, is probably still worth it. The silver lining is so many of these guys are selfish, greedy, and stupid so playing that kind of ball is a big ask.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User, Moderator mod

Also I don't see why they shouldn't receive the same penalties for ignoring a subpoena that I would if I responded to one by saying I didn't recognize the authority of whoever issued it.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

We discussed this wrt Manafort, I think, or at least one of the other cases in all of this. Fines can be pretty coercive, as a lot of people may be worth a lot but have a significant portion of that money tied up in assets, so when you start draining their liquid funds, it still has the possibility to really apply pressure. As for being bankrolled by the GOP, I'd almost consider that an additional positive here, draining potential campaign funds.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    If someone pays a fine for me, and it starts accumulating to serious money, shouldn’t that count as income?

• Options
    Brody wrote: »

We discussed this wrt Manafort, I think, or at least one of the other cases in all of this. Fines can be pretty coercive, as a lot of people may be worth a lot but have a significant portion of that money tied up in assets, so when you start draining their liquid funds, it still has the possibility to really apply pressure. As for being bankrolled by the GOP, I'd almost consider that an additional positive here, draining potential campaign funds.

This is a key distinction that even I myself forget sometimes. For the wealthy a much larger percentage of their money is in assets as compared to the working class. Start taking their liquid cash and they may need to sell off some of those assets to afford their lifestyle. That's a pressure point worth hitting.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Would it be legal for someone to just open up a kickstarter for the express purpose of paying all fines incurred by violating subpoenas?

Because that is absolutely the sort of thing I can see these fuckos trying to do, and there are probably enough dipshits in this country to pay in.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Geth, ban ElJeffe for giving this administration ideas.

• Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Would it be legal for someone to just open up a kickstarter for the express purpose of paying all fines incurred by violating subpoenas?

Because that is absolutely the sort of thing I can see these fuckos trying to do, and there are probably enough dipshits in this country to pay in.

I thought they tried that once but it became a scam?

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

I assume that GoFundMes count as income and thus the courts would be able to adjust the fined accordingly.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular

Fuck, I'm gonna do this.

And then Bill Mitchell it and use the money to move to the beach.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

What ever happened to that "pay for the wall" GoFundMe? I'm sure everyone who pledged would gladly allow the money to be switched to "Trump cabinet defense fund."

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options

Thus sounded silly to me at first, but then I remembered Roger Stone. His legal defense fund easily met it's goal of $100,000. If Stone was able to get that with little effort, someone high profile like Giuliani could rake it in.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    They need to impose one of those Yonkers fines that doubles every day until they testify.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Jragghen was warned for this.
    Shep Smith is leaving Fox News, so expect the right-wing infosphere to get even more dense.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Republicans sent their talking points to the Democrats

Before you say, "Josh, we already knew that", this is a different time. I'm saying this is the second time it's happened now.
    The White House accidentally sent Democrats a list of talking points related to ex-Ukraine Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch's Friday House deposition, two sources with knowledge of the email told The Hill, the second time in a month the administration has sent its Ukraine talking points to Democrats.

The email included guidance for Republicans seeking to defend the president from potentially damaging witness testimony from an ambassador who was removed from her post in May under controversial circumstances.

In copies of the guidance shared with The Hill, The White House encouraged Republicans to adopt a series of messages designed to turn the tables back on Democrats, including attacks on House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff's (D-Calif.) handling of the probe.

It hasn't even been a month since the last time they made this mistake.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

If history is any indication it will 100% work, but only for like the first person who jumps on the idea. The first guy gets all the attention and thus all the money. The next bunch get forgotten.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    If this happens again, I'm just going to assume someone is doing it on purpose.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    the best people.

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    shryke was warned for this.
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Shep Smith is leaving Fox News, so expect the right-wing infosphere to get even more dense.

Notably, right after Barr has a late-night talk with Murdoch and after Trump was complaining about him.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    If this happens again, I'm just going to assume someone is doing it on purpose.

Well we know there are a bunch of whistleblowers so it wouldn't surprise me if someone is like "these talking points are dumb, here you go dems."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Team stupid or team stop treating your interns like serfs?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    OH MY GOD!

Who writes this shit?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    OH MY GOD!

Who writes this shit?

It's weird how nobody noticed we are in that one "The Day the Earth Stood Stupid" episode of Futurama, but instead of jumping into a bunch of classic literature we collectively jumped into an Onion article printout.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »

Notably, right after Barr has a late-night talk with Murdoch and after Trump was complaining about him.

His goodbye message:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AtmlozSpm0

Sounds like the Trump admin and the news vs opinion fight at Fox has finally gotten the better of him.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    So we're pretty sure now that Fox and Murdoch are doubling down on Trump. Definitely seems like the entire Republican apparatus is compromised and they're circling the wagons.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User, Moderator mod
    Cambiata wrote: »

What ever happened to that "pay for the wall" GoFundMe? I'm sure everyone who pledged would gladly allow the money to be switched to "Trump cabinet defense fund."

The guy who launched that wound up pocketing it. Last I heard (a few months ago) the criminal investigation was still ongoing.

• Options
    Jephery wrote: »
    So we're pretty sure now that Fox and Murdoch are doubling down on Trump. Definitely seems like the entire Republican apparatus is compromised and they're circling the wagons.

If trumptv launches, fox news will cease to have a reason to exist

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Giuliani will soon just be Trump's coffee boy.

DC Examiner reporter:
    Trump won't say if Rudy Giuliani is still his attorney

'I dont know. I haven't spoken to Rudy... he has been my attorney'

Couscous on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    This bus is really uncomfortable. Bumpy, you know?

This discussion has been closed.