As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Horror Movie Month, Brought to You by SHUDDER®™©

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Yesterday was Maniac (1980) which felt like proto-Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. It was a lot of talented people working very hard to make sure I was repulsed and bored in equal measure.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Not a movie, but I'm at episode 6 of Netflix' Haunting of Hill House, and I like it so far

moviewise I got something lined up for tomorrow though: the 2013 Carrie remake. Because I hate myself.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The Quiet Place more like The Boring Place

• Options
    I'm being overly harsh but it's not terribly exciting to me

Also I hate these fucking Neville-Page-ass monsters

• Options
    Blackcoat's Daughter has great performances, but isn't going to win anyone over not already onboard for an an A24 ass A24 movie.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I'm being overly harsh but it's not terribly exciting to me

Also I hate these fucking Neville-Page-ass monsters

I like that movie but the monster design sucks shit

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I watched about 15 minutes of The Quiet Place and thought, "Yep. I got it." and then turned it off.

• Options
    There are just too many things about the premise of the monsters I found hard to buy into
    nobody figured out a high frequency can hurt them before the kid? No one in the scientific or military community thought to attack their main sensory organ
    Also: one of the newspapers in the basement says bullets and bombs don't work and their armor is indestructible
    Motherfucker do you know what we as a species are capable of destroying with bullets and bombs

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    I watched 1000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects almost back-to-back last year, and Devil's Rejects I remember being okay!
    Lords of Salem is probably my favorite though. There's a bunch of dumb, boring stuff in it, but a lot of really cool visuals.

lords of salem is almost great

but then he just rob zombies it up

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    A Quiet Place is not really about the monsters

It’s about protecting your kids and loving them and how we move on after a tragedy

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    A Quiet Place is not really about the monsters

It’s about protecting your kids and loving them and how we move on after a tragedy

I can appreciate that, a lot of the best horror is really about some other more real, raw human emotion (usually trauma or tragedy)

But if the movie doesn't work on its initial surface level, viewers aren't gonna stick around long enough to get to the really meaty levels

I don't generally get hung up on the physical mechanics or functions of the baddies in horror/monster movies, if the movie says it works this or that way, fine I'll roll with it

But something about the top-level story/style/presentation/something in A Quiet Place made me bounce off it super hard

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    There are just too many things about the premise of the monsters I found hard to buy into
    nobody figured out a high frequency can hurt them before the kid? No one in the scientific or military community thought to attack their main sensory organ
    Also: one of the newspapers in the basement says bullets and bombs don't work and their armor is indestructible
    Motherfucker do you know what we as a species are capable of destroying with bullets and bombs
    any time the premise of a movie is "conventional weapons don't work!" I immediately question if the writers actually understand how conventional weapons work

like, I get that it's a concession, but if your concession doesn't stand up later in the movie then what the fuck is the point

explosions generate enormous levels of sounds and pressure that cause organs(like say super-sensitve auditory-sensory organs) to fucking rupture!

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

JWRGNiK.png

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    The Quiet Place more like The Boring Place

The trailers for the sequel have to do a lot to get me in the theater

• Options
    I know it was very popular and a lot of people liked it, and that's cool, but it just didn't click for me, and that's okay

I get really into the ins and outs of the rules of horror movie threats so I may just be more prone to this

• Options
    I also, you know, don't like kids much so I just can't identify with the desire to raise and protect them

That's like, half a joke

• Options
    That dumb shot in Quiet Place with the white board

WHAT IS THEIR WEAKNESS?!
    ARMOR?!!

urgh. I saw it (in the theater!) because I like Emily Blunt and thought it could be good, but...too many unnecessarily played up jumpscares, very loose rules and the dumb "solution" that ruined the premise. I'm really surprised it gets a sequel

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Watched The Limehouse Golem last night. It was good. Lots of citrus, some light golem notes.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I like The Quiet Place in the same way I like Signs

It is not a premise that stands up to any real scrutiny but if you’re willing to look past that there’s a really well crafted flick in there that’s fun to watch

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I'm kind of in love with Mountaintop Motel Massacre. It's just so damn bizarre.

Gimme just a mess o'them late 70's early 80's semi-slasher flicks tho

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I'm kind of in love with Mountaintop Motel Massacre. It's just so damn bizarre.

Gimme just a mess o'them late 70's early 80's semi-slasher flicks tho

That time period where they hadn't quite hammered out all the cliches and all the night time shots were actually dark is primo watching material. Give me all the Madman, The Burning, and Motel Hell's you can.

• Options
    Oh man The Burning! The most homoerotic slasher film of them all! <3

• Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular

Nightmare on Elm Street pt 2 says hi

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Invectivus wrote: »

I still need to get around to watching these movies. I’ve still only seen the first one.

• Options
    Invectivus wrote: »

I'd say they're about equal. NOES2 is just a LOT more blatant about it.

• Options
    Witchboard was up there this month as well. The whole movie is just two dudes eye-fucking each other while Tawny Kitaen flails around in some distant location.

• Options
    edited October 2019

The camp councillors are just very concerned about how often their charges are masturbating. Nothing to see here.

The mind recoils at seeing young Jason Alexander in this as well. He seems like a guy who would really rather you never brought this movie up.

Edit: Avoiding the triple post, but the 30 Blu-Ray Universal Monster box set is currently on sale on Amazon for $69.99 US.

astrobstrd on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Watched a documentary on the making of Alien called Memory

It was alright! Mostly concerned with Dan O’Bannon’s history and contribution rather than Scott’s, and more concerned with literary analysis of the film and the evolution of its script than specific behind the scenes stories (although it does do a fairly deep dive on how difficult it was to get it started, and on how the chest burster scene was staged)

I’m kind of a sucker for documentaries about my favorite movies though, so I was willing to forgive its lengthy and bizarre opening

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    I would have loved to see what Roger Corman produced Alien would have looked like.

• Options
    astrobstrd wrote: »

The mind recoils at seeing young Jason Alexander in this as well. .

oh hell no, he was crazy sexy when he was young.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

Dancing in the streets for McDonald's burgers

• Options

Not because he is an uggo or anything, more that he is just so out of place in this weird beard slasher.

It would be like spotting young Daniel Day Lewis in Sleepaway Camp or something.

• Options

Not because he is an uggo or anything, more that he is just so out of place in this weird beard slasher.

It would be like spotting young Daniel Day Lewis in Sleepaway Camp or something.

I don't believe that would bother me either.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Knocked a bunch out this weekend; focused on 2019 shit so I can clear those off my year-end list.

Little Monsters - goddamn shame this takes like 20 minutes to get to the zombie stuff cause it SUCKS until then. The lead dude is AWFUL and it takes too long to get to his reason and redemption. Most of the humor didn't really hit for me but I did like the last act and Lupita is great. Kinda comes out to a 3 stars.

Wounds - The longer this movie went on, the less I liked it. Armie is very good, everyone else kinda gets a short shrift. I thought the director's previous movie, Under the Shadow, was a good and creepy slow burn. This has a little of that but tries to do a lot and ends up just being muddled.

Body at Brighton Rock - this would've been a good story in a horror anthology. It isn't that and winds up being too long with a huge wet fart of an ending.

Knife+Heart - the gayest giallo. I'm not a huge giallo fan but this actually strays from that quite a bit. It's mostly using that as a framework to hang everything on. It looks good and is surprisingly funny. It winds up being more of a thriller with lots of backstory and character stuff (though the handful of kills are pretty gory) and does a HUGE info dump right at the end that feels like it kind of sucks out some of the wind. All in all, though, pretty good.

The Witch in the Window (2018) - There is a window but no witch, 3 stars. It's alright, very slight, under 80 minutes. Didn't mind watching it, wouldn't go out of my way to do so. SHUDDER sclusie.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Since we're dunking on Quiet Place, why in the shit did they get pregnant anyway? Maybe don't do any fucking!

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Since we're dunking on Quiet Place, why in the shit did they get pregnant anyway? Maybe don't do any fucking!

Survival of the Human Race™

also, dramatic tension, I guess. Because you know what happens to plans in horror movies! Seriously though, I like that as stakes, and it could have worked in a better thought out movie

e: my Carrie remake watching has been postponed, because I wanted to double feature it with the original, but apparently I lent that to a friend. Getting it back this weekend.
    I did finish Haunting of Hill House though. It's a little uneven, and gets waaaaayyy to explainy at the end (some scenes go on way too long, too), but I enjoyed it. No idea how and why there'll be a second season though

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

You try being two incredibly attractive human beings with absolutely nothing to do!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

You try being two incredibly attractive human beings with absolutely nothing to do!

Being that I am two incredibly attractive human beings with absolutely nothing to do I can vouch for this.

• Options
    Falling way behind on my 31 due to work just shitting in my mouth.

Tigers Are Not Afraid is real good so far though. It has a City of God meets Devil's Backbone vibe. The sketchy SFX are nicely balanced by some fantastic child actors.

• Options

People fuck. It’s in our nature.

Some people, particularly asexual individuals, are fine without fucking, but by and large most of us would not be okay with a life bereft of sex.

This is also part of the reason abstinence-only sex ed is intensely stupid.