As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Horror Movie Month, Brought to You by SHUDDER®™©

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It is also possible Emily Blunt got pregnant before the magic monsters appeared

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    It is also possible Emily Blunt got pregnant before the magic monsters appeared

The bulk of the movie movie takes place 470-473 days after they appeared
    Like, it's pretty explicit that part of the whole thing is them choosing to have another kid after they have had one die (that sequence happens 89 days in), and potentially because of that, in fact.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Okay well then my earlier post applies

People are gonna fuck!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I find the logic of them having another baby far easier to swallow than the logic of how the monsters were meant to work, they're inconsistent nonsense.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Life... Ah... Finds a way.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Theres a solid chance any given day you're going to be brutally murdered by vile monsters so yeah you're gonna fuck.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i will never fuck

you can't make me

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    i will never fuck

you can't make me

you only make love?

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    i will never fuck

you can't make me

you only make love?

no

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    dang

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    You can have sex without procreating! It's not like the monsters ate all forms of birth control!

Also that the script suggests that the reaction to the traumatic death of a child is "let's have another one (in this environment which killed our last one)" is a little icky to me

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    You can have sex without procreating! It's not like the monsters ate all forms of birth control!

Also that the script suggests that the reaction to the traumatic death of a child is "let's have another one (in this environment which killed our last one)" is a little icky to me

Some women can't take birth control pills and no form of contraception is 100%. I'm not sure I understand your second point though as many couples have children after the death of a child or a miscarriage.

It's a dumb decision to have a baby in said environment but it may not be a decision they made. Also, you gotta start rebuilding humanity somehow.

In short, them having a baby is the least dumb thing about the movie.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    It's been a while since I've seen it, but basically cutting from the death to a pregnant belly is tonally weird to me. Then again, there's not much characterization going on anyway, so who knows who does what and why.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Really wanted to have someone rip a really loud and nasty fart in a tense moment in The Quiet Place

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »

Some women can't take birth control pills and no form of contraception is 100%. I'm not sure I understand your second point though as many couples have children after the death of a child or a miscarriage.

It's a dumb decision to have a baby in said environment but it may not be a decision they made. Also, you gotta start rebuilding humanity somehow.

In short, them having a baby is the least dumb thing about the movie.

The couple are an engineer and a nurse who have invented a system that they feel makes them safe. Going one step further and trying to create a technique where they can keep having babies feels like a logical next step.

It's a pretty consistent characterization that these are the people who haven't given up and gone insane and will be part of the push to one day take back the Earth.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    1982's Human Lanterns last night.

Ok so like it's a Shaw Bros movie and it's everything that that is but then you add some horror to the kung-fu and boom. A dude captures women and makes lanterns from their skin. And then people fight like in a Shaw Bros movie. It's pretty alright! It's not one of their best but for a Halloweeny twist...

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Cool. My work situation got even worse and now I'm tapped out from doing something that brings me a tiny amount of joy. I will be in this goddamned store every waking moment of the month because my chucklefuck employee got a DUI (and got injured doing it!)

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    I guess Don’t Breathe is getting a sequel at some point

Still need the first one on a streaming service at some point

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I guess Don’t Breathe is getting a sequel at some point

Still need the first one on a streaming service at some point

Nah, not really

• Options
    don't breathe is really good until it really isn't

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I think it's worth watching for the good stuff but... The bad stuff is pretty bad.

But the good stuff is really good.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Watched The Abominable Dr. Phibes with a couple friends tonight. Super weird, but some surprisingly effective scares. Also the final scene was clearly a massive inspiration for Saw.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Just finished The Perfection and I almost have to admire how fucking hard it swung for the fences and just how fucking hard it whiffed being a classic gonzo Asian movie from the early 00's.

They sure tried, though. In all the horrible ways that entails.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Dude the monster in The Companion segment of Creepshow fucking rules

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Eyes Without a Face (1960)

A terrible sequel to Face/Off. Got none of the creative staff from the first. Disappointing.

A good, classic horror movie! Eerie and slow and French, it's good!

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I did a full rewatch of the Candyman trilogy.

Quality is like this

Candyman

Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh

Candyman: Day of the Dead

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    I love werewolves!
    I was trying to catch up on werewolf movies I haven't seen, and realized 2014's "Wolves" was on my list still.
    Man, why is it that most wer' flicks seem to either get great creature design OR decent story, but rarely both at once? I actually sort of liked the more "wolfman" designs combining practical makeup and some cgi in this one for the most part, although at times it seemed a bit weird. It had some of the goofiest dialogue though: "I came here looking for answers, but what I found...was this place." Um, ok...

Anyway, it was kinda weird, didn't love it but enjoyed some of it.

I re-watched the Nicholson/Spader/Pfeiffer "Wolf" from the 90's yesterday, and I really enjoy that one for some reason. I know a lot of folks pan it for being sort of campy in parts, but I think Nicholson channels some great "Lawrence Talbot" vibes from the earlier Wolfman movies. Plus, it has James Spader in it so I have to watch it.

I finally got around to watching "Dog Soldiers" as well the other day. I didn't know Ser Davos was in that! He is, by the way. Anyway, the creature designs were more wolf head on vaguely unsettling and lanky human frames, and I thought they were rather cool actually.

Underworld's lycans are still my favorite werewolf designs, but I know that is a divisive opinion. What are some your favorite wolf movies/designs, thread?

• Options
    I feel like most of the good werewolf movies have good werewolf design, actually! I like the designs in American Werewolf in London, The Howling, Ginger Snaps, and Dog Soldiers. Also shout out to Trick 'R Treat's werewolves, who have one of my favorite weird transformation sequences.

• Options
    Give me all practical werewolf effects and you will have my heart.

• Options
    i think the true impact of an american werewolf in london is the fact that pretty much no practical (cgi's a whole different ballgame) werewolf in a movie with even a modest budget has ever looked significantly worse than it since.

well.

except for silver bullet's.

that's a bad werewolf

like, there are a ton of really dope werewolves from the eighties on.

a few of my lesser talked up faves:

- lone wolf
    - waxwork
    - the company of wolves

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Dont breathe is what people who dont watch horror movies mean when they say they dont like horror because it's just gross and upsetting for the purpose of being gross and upsetting

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Also I like Wolfen

That's a good one

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Ginger Snaps!

• Options
    gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I feel like most of the good werewolf movies have good werewolf design, actually! I like the designs in American Werewolf in London, The Howling, Ginger Snaps, and Dog Soldiers. Also shout out to Trick 'R Treat's werewolves, who have one of my favorite weird transformation sequences.

That's fair. Something about Ginger Snaps' wolves was off to me, can't quite place it. Trick 'R Treat's sequence was great, no doubt!

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    I fuckin loved the stilt suits they used in Dog Soldiers

Specifically the scene where they...
    ...come into the bedroom, hunching over to not hit their heads, dragging their claws across the ceiling

So dang cool

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I've still never seen Dog Soldiers

• Options
    It's pretty good!

I remember it as having some kind of fucked up ways it talks about women, but it's been a while since I've seen it so I can't pinpoint the specifics there.

• Options
    Don't Breathe is 66% a really good fucking movie.

That 33% though is bad and gross.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Wolf Guy is my favorite werewolf transformation.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    What’s the gross part of Don’t Breathe? I haven’t seen it, but the premise at least sounded interesting.

04xkcuvaav19.png