As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Legends of Runeterra]: Enjoy Early and Evening Engagements in this Excellent Expansion

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Also, where's Dibby at? Has the lure of BG (and other games) kept you away from LoR? :biggrin:

Ahh, it's mostly like.... Hmm. While I did really like the gameplay of Runeterra, I think.... I think I kinda decided like, I'm not really interested in another like, game-as-a-service type deal right now? Just this constant need to log-in and do daily and weekly quests as to not fall behind, and it's like... Ehhh, I'd rather have something more casual, more drop-in-drop-out? Which is like, yeah, that's why BGs have been quite appealing to me, cause there's no collection needed, there's no "grind", it's just login play a game or two cool!

But, I will say Runeterra definitely beats out HS as a card game, for sure. If I were at a point somewhere that I wanted something like that, I'd absolutely dig into that. But... Yknow, I mean I quit Constructed in HS too, like I'm a BG only player now right :P

I totally get that. I have that with HotS and LoR right now, but I usually only play a few games of LoR and HotS every other day.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    That's exactly why I ended up quitting HS. The grind feels like playing an MMO almost and you get to the point where the gameplay isnt fun anymore but you keep going through the motions because you've already invested time and money into it. Also with HS I was spending lots of time on twitch trying to follow the championships and the casters and all the other stuff that just ended up being a big time sink.

I actually wasn't planning on liking Runeterra. I had wanted to play Magic: Arena but found it to be dull and downloaded the Runeterra app cause Dover was talking it up. It just sort of took over because I stopped playing Underlords and liked having a casual game to play with my morning coffee.

Only downside is that since I never played League I dont know all the extended lore beside what I can glean from the cards. The flip side of that is every new addition to the game is brand new to me.

• Options
    narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    I think I have the opposite problem where I need things to fill time since I'm taking a year off teaching right now. I tried to get really good at Battlegrounds, but it was a weird combination of "I'm getting tired of doing this over and over" and "they change things too often and I can't keep up with all the variables". Runeterra I have really enjoyed bulking up my collection over the last few weeks (I think all 6 starter regions are at 50% or more), and I like the different game modes. I normally hate laddering but it isn't so bad with a coach. There are so many different kinds of decks on ladder so you're not doing the same matchups over and over so that helps prevent me from getting fatigue playing over and over. And I've enjoyed the different game modes too (especially expedition). I guess I'm trying to get as much out of it as I can now before I go back to teaching next year and have to switch to doing a game or two as a de-stressor in the evening after being around kids all day.

Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Filling up your collection bars is definitely a nice feeling. Although I've gotten to the point where the Weekly Vault is basically always just shards so it's a bit irritating.

Mostly right now I'm playing ranked because I did so little LoR last season that I was reset back to the bottom of Iron. And I do run into some meta decks occasionally. But frequently I just kinda feel bad as I run into people clearly running random decks, often thrown together from starter cards. And they just ... they never had a chance.

• Options
    narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    So I FINALLY got a Singleton prime glory, bringing me up to 4 prime glories. Yilias and I got to 6 wins last week with this deck, but tweaked it a bit for this week and I'm really happy about the results:

CIAAABQBAIAQEAIDAUDAMAIFAEMR2IJRGUDAGAICAQDAQCIWBIAQCAYHBMGBIFRHFEVDEEADBEBQSEYUCULRUHBDHE7VIV24MBSA

A lot of people this week are running a Noxus/PnZ/Bilgewater deck that tries to be aggressive with pings, burn, and Faron to get over the line. The issue with that for singleton though is there just aren't enough low drop cards for it to be a true aggro deck and they have to build something more midrange. As long as you aggressively mulligan for your low cost minions, trade block with Zoe, and protect your board with buffs, you should live long enough to heal your face and establish control, just as the opponent runs out of cards. So many games I had a full hand of 8+ cards and my opponent had nothing. And then my units were so much bigger that they couldn't get passed them. We also discovered this week that the Howling Abyss is a great card in expedition so we decided to try it out here too and it definitely won us a game where opponent had unyielding spirited their Ashe.

If anyone else tries it out, let me know!

narwhal on
    Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    Six wins.

Lost the Seventh because Atrocity is faster than Decimate :( Game only checks who gets there first.

• Options
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Six wins.

Lost the Seventh because Atrocity is faster than Decimate :( Game only checks who gets there first.

Ugh, that sucks. But hey, 6 wins is pretty great!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    That sej/teemo deck posted has been treating me super well. Seems like a lot of folks dont know how to play around sejuanis effect.

• Options
    Started the day by going 0-4 with Aggro. Just got outdone by Hecrim Plaza and Aggro decks. Swapped over to Anivia and went 3-1. I should honestly just stay with it through Platinum as nobody knows how to play against it.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Can you copy eggnivia with counterfeit copies?

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Counterfeit Copies targets cards in hand only, so you'd need to bounce the egg to hand first.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Parade Electrogig copies its supporter, similar to counterfeit copies.

• Options
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    Can you copy eggnivia with counterfeit copies?

The other thing to consider is that Eggnivia only upgrades at the start of the turn. So if you drop the egg, it'll need to live until the next turn to hatch.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I literally only lose in expedition in the game for the 7th win.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Ive only gotten 7 wins with Leona.

• Options
    Expedition can really creates some wacky stuff:

4p3baig1zf4f.png

This was my game 7 opponent's situation at 8 health and a board full of minions just before I hit end turn.
    djupxvooh3om.png
    They drew 9 Puffcaps!

My deck was focused around Puffcap Peddlers (3 drafted) with Iterative Improvements (2 drafted) and Puffcaps to drop buckets of Puffcaps into their deck. I hit a turn like this prior by using Shards of the Mountain to fill my empty hand with Gems. 8-9 Gems with 3-4 Puffcap Peddlers really add up.

The rest of my wins came from a solid Elusive package (Lunari Shadestalkers, Trickster from Sketcher, Ez, Teemo, and Aeronaut). Iterative Improvements on them came through for a few wins.

Special shout-out to my first opponent though. I was down to only a few health with a board of Elusives and Peddlers and had a board of big stuff. He dropped the Sisters and Single Combated with his lifesteal sister for 8. It put him to 20 and I was basically tapped out. I played out my last Peddler (giving me 4 total), then did the Shard of the Mountain play and played 1 Gem leaving me with no mana left and 9 Gems.

Instead of straight crushing me, they Braum emoted and passed. I passed and took control again, drawing Iterative Improvements. I copied a Peddler and played out the rest of my mana in Gems (5 in total). They drew 12 Puffcaps, then passed again, apparently wanting me to play out the rest of my Gems. I did so and ended up getting them to over 200 Puffcaps.

I appreciate that sort of mindset in my opponents. :biggrin:

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Uuugh my latest game 7 loss was to that deck but with Teemo. Except instead of iterative improving their own peddler, they did it on my Enraged Yetis and boy did that make me enraged.

Still could have won if they didn't immediately drop a second Teemo after I finally killed the first.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Puffcap decks are insane in expeditions. There's basically no counterplay, there's very little lifesteal/lifegain you actually want to play, and it's hard to push through with an aggro deck when the puff deck just needs to play defense until you die.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Looking at Aphelios, I'm interested in trying to build him together with Viktor. Viktor and Ballistic Bot make Moon Weapon generation easy, Moon Weapons trigger Augment and help flip Viktor, and if you flip both Aphelios and Viktor then your Moon Weapons cost 0.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/5Q1jk9464v0

There's some pretty good stuff here.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    People keep setting up blocks in such a way that by the time Darius strikes he's leveled up because my other units pushed the opponent below 10 health. So they'd have lived if Darius was still level one, but he isn't, so they die.

My sympathies on the oversight, friend. I've been there many a time.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Darius and Lucien both benefit from how attackers are lined up.

• Options
    Thresh and Kallista can pull some shenanigans there, too. The order-of-attackers-matters element of the game is really interesting to me.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Lucien is particularly nasty in the Plaza Harrowing deck. Ideally, you want two Luciens and some Shark Chariots to have died. Play Harrowing and attack with enough Sharks to fill your board and one Lucien placed on the far right. Sharks generated from Harrowing still summon Sharks. Your attack will always level the second Lucien in reserve and cause him to Rally. Then you attack again for an absurd amount of damage (assuming they survived the first attack).

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Managed a level 13 today for the first time.

Got a Spectral Matron and a bunch of rares and 2.8k shards. Pulled a Kat from the Noxus track as well.

• Options
    Had a level 12 Vault this week. Got a total of 7/6/1/1 in new/wild cards and 2.3k Shards. Quite a few upgraded WC. That Epic (a Scargrounds) was the last Epic I needed. I just need 33 Commons and 31 Rares to have 100% of everything. I could craft them, but what's the fun in that?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Geez, my vault today (level 14) was almost all extra copies that got turned into shards, or wildcards. Not complaining! I have enough shards to buy into an expedition this week and buy a champion if I want to, so a fine morning all around.

• Options
    We did it!

reAH24M.png?1

Pushed through Gold I today with Jinx/Draven. Everyone was playing variants of Zoe/Aurelion so they couldn't keep up with Aggro!

• Options
    MNC Dover, you keep talking about the discard synergy in Runeterra, and I'm starting to see some of it in my Noxus deck. I have Draven, obviously, alongside Survival Skills and Vision, and the surprises that those two cards generate when you discard them to a Spinning Axe are just a delight. I really like the design on Survival Skills: the choice between holding it for a big turn where I have a lot of units ready versus discarding it earlier for the one dude buff is a nice brain-tickler. Dig the art, too.

• Options
    MNC Dover, you keep talking about the discard synergy in Runeterra, and I'm starting to see some of it in my Noxus deck. I have Draven, obviously, alongside Survival Skills and Vision, and the surprises that those two cards generate when you discard them to a Spinning Axe are just a delight. I really like the design on Survival Skills: the choice between holding it for a big turn where I have a lot of units ready versus discarding it earlier for the one dude buff is a nice brain-tickler. Dig the art, too.

And don't forget about Flame Chompers! and Jury-Rig. Flame Chompers can be a surprise attacker that drags their big blocker out of the way and sometimes getting a kill with buffs from Vision. And Jury-Rig can be a double threat as a attacker or blocker since it's a Burst spell that produces a 1/1. Use it to cancel out an open attacker.

In short, all the Discard stuff is great. Like, really well thought out and not crazy oppressive.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

And don't forget about Flame Chompers! and Jury-Rig. Flame Chompers can be a surprise attacker that drags their big blocker out of the way and sometimes getting a kill with buffs from Vision. And Jury-Rig can be a double threat as a attacker or blocker since it's a Burst spell that produces a 1/1. Use it to cancel out an open attacker.

In short, all the Discard stuff is great. Like, really well thought out and not crazy oppressive.

Yeah, I've seen those but haven't dug into Piltover/Zaun enough to get a sense of them. I don't have many PZ champs yet.

• Options

Yeah, I've seen those but haven't dug into Piltover/Zaun enough to get a sense of them. I don't have many PZ champs yet.

To be fair, you don't really need any of the P&Z champs to make a strong Noxus/P&Z aggro deck. You'll be using Draven/Jinx as your champs, although Draven/Ez is pretty cool too.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

To be fair, you don't really need any of the P&Z champs to make a strong Noxus/P&Z aggro deck. You'll be using Draven/Jinx as your champs, although Draven/Ez is pretty cool too.

Draven/Ez isn't really a discard synergy deck though. It's a control deck.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I downloaded this today and jinx/elise is silly. I'm just drawing cards and killing those cards and killing you by killing those cards

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    I downloaded this today and jinx/elise is silly. I'm just drawing cards and killing those cards and killing you by killing those cards
    Kalista gets even more silly when she brings them back.

• Options
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »
    Kalista gets even more silly when she brings them back.

It's really fun when you can get Kalista to rez a unit that isn't just a big stat ball. Like getting her to rez a Rekindler that then rezes another champ.

• Options
    Best Shadow Isles Kalista targets:
    • Cursed Keeper: gives you a 4/3 after battle as a blocker for next turn
    • Mistwraith: a Fearsome unit that pump up your Mistwraiths!
    • Wraithcaller: Summon and pump up Mistwraiths! Just make sure to only attack with 4 units so the Mistwraith has a place.
    • Rekindler: Get another Kalista. Honestly, not that great vs a Wraithcaller in these types of decks.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Also, welcome @Jars to LoR! Feel free to ask any questions. There's a lot to learn and we're happy to help out.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Ive seen a Kalista into a Rekindler into Leveled up Lucian which then Rallied when the Rekindler died and double attacked my empty board for the win.

Its completely silly. Only downside is Lucian/Sienna are kind of on the smaller side so you dont always bring back who you want.

Bedlam on