Options

[Xbox] Game Pass - 10 million subscribers and counting

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Anyone playing PSO2? I'm giving it a go and it's weird that they have a 'Main Mission' and 'Story Quest' distinction and yet the latter just seems to be cutscene after cutscene.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I played the closed beta, but haven't hopped into open yet. Hoping to sometime this weekend.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Apparently Microsoft has some big giveaway for PSO2 right now? Part of GamePass I guess.

https://pso2.com/news/announcements/gamepassultimate

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Story Quests are just cutscenes. you have to remember this is a very old game and those story quests were likely released over time, instead of at once.

Returning to my PSO2 character, not sure how I feel about it. I think the renting storage thing kind of annoys me. I've been sticking with Bless Unleashed atm. Don't feel like playing catchup with what I was doing (like total level 50s) or cleaning out inventory.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Apparently Microsoft has some big giveaway for PSO2 right now? Part of GamePass I guess.

https://pso2.com/news/announcements/gamepassultimate

PSO2 stuff is only NA because it's not available in Europe yet. but they're also giving away goodies for Sea of Thieves, Smite and World of Tanks. should be a new 'Perks' tab/banner in the Game Pass section/hub/app* on console.

*whatever it is they're calling it now.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    It's available under the Game Pass tab on the home screen, that's how I got it.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

This framing doesn't match what is in the article. It's more like, DX12 offered broad shovel-based raytracing support, and DX12 Ultimate introduces the ability to use scalpels. Both approaches were made by Microsoft, surely in consultation with AMD and NVIDIA, and both will run on Turing and RDNA2 hardware once driver updates are in place.

A lot of this comes down to NVIDIA rushing raytracing to market before the software side was fully fleshed out, not two conflicting visions of raytracing that NVIDIA's hardware isn't fully prepared for.

• Options
    edited March 2020

This framing doesn't match what is in the article. It's more like, DX12 offered broad shovel-based raytracing support, and DX12 Ultimate introduces the ability to use scalpels. Both approaches were made by Microsoft, surely in consultation with AMD and NVIDIA, and both will run on Turing and RDNA2 hardware once driver updates are in place.

A lot of this comes down to NVIDIA rushing raytracing to market before the software side was fully fleshed out, not two conflicting visions of raytracing that NVIDIA's hardware isn't fully prepared for.

Aside from the fact that the Nvidia graphic cards, since they started making graphics cards, have supported DirectX, how is the "framing not matching"? Is it not an alternative to the existing ray tracing solutions offered with Nvidia's latest hardware?

I'm genuinely not that familiar with the topic of ray-tracing on the whole, especially since I'm not interested in using it on PC, even though I technically could.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    AMD's RDNA2 is alternative raytracing hardware to NVIDIA's current 20xx line i.e. Turing. But Microsoft developed the current non-proprietary APis that games are using for raytracing as a part of DX 12, which work with current NVIDIA cards but should also work with AMD's upcoming graphics cards once they get the drivers sorted. DX 12 ultimate is a further refinement that likewise will work with both vendors equally.

• Options
    ...so there is an alternative to the existing ray-tracing solution from Nvidia, which I certainly think was rushed to market too early for its own good. Sorry if it sounded like I was saying you couldn't use it with Nvidia, I didn't know how to describe Nvidia's RT beyond "the ray-tracing they (mostly) have on their 20-series cards." I guess you could just call it "Nvidia Ray Tracing."

So, aside from Forza Horizon 4 being on Gamepass, you can also pick up the DLC packs with some discounts, including the complete pack for 50% off with Gamepass.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Finished Ori, probably my GOTY unless something of MGSV caliber gameplay comes along someplace else (which isn't necessarily unlikely) but fucking wow. Knocked that game design doc out of the park.
    I think what elevates it (besides the unbelievably generous checkpointing) above the average metroidvania is that the game's interface and questing ultimately guides the player towards the tools to directly 100% the entire world. None of Ori's progression is esoteric or obtuse (I'm fucking looking at you Bloodstained), all you have to do is place faith in the videogame, continue to move forward in the exploration and there is a 100% chance that the game will provide the tools you need to go back and clear the hurdle. I never felt like I had to go back to a part of the game I had already completed in order to solve anything - completely respected my time.

Also my god that story has my emotions all over the place, I am the most bittersweet upsetti spaghetti. All the storytelling callbacks to the first game are so fucking mint

• Options
    Huh, that reminds me I gave up quite early in MGSV after obsessing about not killing any of the unsuspecting soldiers I'd run into on patrol.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    MGSV is all about the Side Ops.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

And balloon wedgies for everyone with an A+ to S++++ skill and/or unique talent.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Jazz wrote: »

That's good, because Weekend at Volgin's is a lot more boring than you'd think.

EDIT: So, if you really like Resident Evil 2, but don't think you'll ever accomplish the various records, the "DLC" to unlock all the bonus award content is on sale for $1.99.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Weekend at Volgin's

The noise I just made

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Gentlemen. Bleeding edge launched today and I think it’s actually a very fun multiplayer brawler . It’s on game pass if you have it and want to try it and it’s only $30 if you want to buy it ( I did ). So if you want a kinda weird third person moba game watch some of the twitch streamers to see if works for you. That said it’s all multiplayer and team based if you don’t mesh well with that kind of game you will have a bad time.

• Options
    Oh, Bleeding Edge is dope. The character designs range from meh to absolutely sickass. I think it does suffer from the MOBA snowball effect which I find pretty offputting tbh but there's probably mechanics I'm missing that are supposed to alleviate this

• Options
    Oh, Bleeding Edge is dope. The character designs range from meh to absolutely sickass. I think it does suffer from the MOBA snowball effect which I find pretty offputting tbh but there's probably mechanics I'm missing that are supposed to alleviate this

It’s funny people are divided that it’s not moba enough ( I want to farm creeps buy item and then one shot everyone after 30 min) or too moba ( why do I have to fight everyone by myself wtf do I have to be with team ). So far been playing a lot of kulev , robot zombie voodoo guy.

• Options
    just played a couple of matched and they could not have been more different. first match, zero communication, team all over the place and a major loss. not sure if there was an issue with the voice chat or if everyone else just muted themselves but i didn't hear so much as a breath during the match. second match went much better. team did a better job of sticking together, though did split up a bit at times. some actual communication, though not much. just a bit of chat and a ping. enough to get us a decisive win though. can definitely see the fun in there but don't see it becoming my go to game at any point.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    just played a couple of matched and they could not have been more different. first match, zero communication, team all over the place and a major loss. not sure if there was an issue with the voice chat or if everyone else just muted themselves but i didn't hear so much as a breath during the match. second match went much better. team did a better job of sticking together, though did split up a bit at times. some actual communication, though not much. just a bit of chat and a ping. enough to get us a decisive win though. can definitely see the fun in there but don't see it becoming my go to game at any point.

Makes sense I’m just trying to get people to try it out since I really like the game.

• Options

Makes sense I’m just trying to get people to try it out since I really like the game.

yeah, i'd definitely recommend others give it a go at least. especially if they have Game Pass and they can try it out for free.

• Options
  • Options
    This is neat: World War Z, which is a pretty good way to scratch that "left for dead" itch with way more zombies, is getting crossplay between Xbox One and PC. PS4-PC crossplay to follow sometime soon.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    This is neat: World War Z, which is a pretty good way to scratch that "left for dead" itch with way more zombies, is getting crossplay between Xbox One and PC. PS4-PC crossplay to follow sometime soon.

It's also currently free on Epic Game Store.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Useful news, if accurate (Windows Central is historically slow, but very accurate, with their predictions in this area): Xbox Series X won't support bluetooth...

(But the controllers will keep having it built in for PC and phone use.)

So, as with the Xbox One, Microsoft isn't satisfied with the poor latency that's practically universal with bluetooth standard devices, especially at "living room distances." Considering the amount of attention being put into the Xbox's own wireless standard, that's not surprising. But as usual, they're not going to be taking anything away from the controllers--so there's that.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Considering my work vehicle radio keeps losing my phone which is less than two feet away, this is acceptable.

• Options
    Considering my work vehicle radio keeps losing my phone which is less than two feet away, this is acceptable.

My most often used bluetooth device, after careful consideration, is my waterproof shower speaker from VicTsing. Which does a pretty good job staying connected...and has a multiple-second delay for audio alone through a bathroom wall to my adjoining bedroom.

Ironically, the best bluetooth implementation I've used regularly is probably the two BT-synced motion controllers that come with the Windows Mixed Reality standard (these were made by Samsung, but they all follow the same standard). Probably the best latency I've ever encountered on a BT controller. But those, unsurprisingly, are very close to their receiver, and have pretty high standards for BT compatibility.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    DPLarcadia wrote: »
    So, with the sudden change in lifestyle as my partner now works from home, im looking at getting a headset for my xbone. Anyone have any suggestions? I had someone suggest hyperX cloud 2's, but they seemed to be more designed for PC. Xbox headsets seem to be a different beast.
    The HyperX Cloud 2 has a built-in sound card, which yeah, would be more for PC gaming. However, the HyperX Cloud (not 2; sometimes called Cloud 1) does not have said sound card and is a bit cheaper. I bought a pair of the Cloud 1 at PAX East a few years ago and it has easily been the best gaming headset I've ever owned. The only part that I've had to replace is the Y-splitter, but that's not surprising. The ear pieces are insanely comfortable after hours of straight gaming, and the adjustable boom mic has survived constant usage by myself, an 8-year old, and an 11-year old. I've never once had an issue and cannot speak highly enough about how great the HyperX Cloud headphones are.

*steps down from soapbox*

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    To be fair, I bet some customers of Doom Eternal and Animal Crossing feel the same way as Gamestop Corporate. Not that that makes it right but...
    When the shit started to hit the fan, I cancelled my son's birthday present order of a physical copy of Animal Crossing and then bought a digital copy. I get that there is still a large population of people that prefer physical content, but during this pandemic, going to a game store to buy a physical copy over downloading a virtual copy is irresponsible.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I always recommend the PlayStation gold headset. You can't use it wirelessly but it is an awesome headset that regularly goes on sale.

• Options
    so i decided to give Ghost Recon: Breakpoint a bash since its free to play this weekend and oh boy am i glad i skipped out on this one. even with the overhaul to game settings this is a pale comparison to Wildlands. its heavily discounted right now too, but the early gameplay has put me off paying even the £18 they're currently asking for.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    so i decided to give Ghost Recon: Breakpoint a bash since its free to play this weekend and oh boy am i glad i skipped out on this one. even with the overhaul to game settings this is a pale comparison to Wildlands. its heavily discounted right now too, but the early gameplay has put me off paying even the £18 they're currently asking for.

Yeah everytime I think "oh that's cheap" I remember how awful the gameplay looked and just nope out.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah everytime I think "oh that's cheap" I remember how awful the gameplay looked and just nope out.

well now the gameplay seems to be a weird mishmash of the original intent and an attempt to dial it back to be more like Wildlands and it just does not work. at least that's been my impression for the very limited time i've spent with it. one of the final straws for me was realising that sync shot is now a consumable, and it needs to be equipped to be used and is just so clunky, especially in comparison to Wildlands. like they couldn't have made a ore distilled example of how much of a step back this game is compared to its predecessor.

• Options

well now the gameplay seems to be a weird mishmash of the original intent and an attempt to dial it back to be more like Wildlands and it just does not work. at least that's been my impression for the very limited time i've spent with it. one of the final straws for me was realising that sync shot is now a consumable, and it needs to be equipped to be used and is just so clunky, especially in comparison to Wildlands. like they couldn't have made a ore distilled example of how much of a step back this game is compared to its predecessor.

Reminds me of Rainbow Six vegas vesus its sequel.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Vegas 2 was a lot more polished than the original Vegas, but I only played them on PC.

Granted, since it had character customization, it was also missing Ding and the rest of that unimitable Rainbow Six crew of terrorst-huntin'-lefty-shootin' hotshots, but Tom Clancy's brand of characters generally make me want to vomit in my mouth and I don't really miss their translation into the video game format either.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Breakpoint absolutely feels like the first game in the series then they added stuff, gave it a lot more polish, and changed the systems for the better with its sequel Wildlands. The update letting you play without weapon levels might fix some of it, but it's probably still a bad game.

• Options

Vegas 2 was a lot more polished than the original Vegas, but I only played them on PC.

Granted, since it had character customization, it was also missing Ding and the rest of that unimitable Rainbow Six crew of terrorst-huntin'-lefty-shootin' hotshots, but Tom Clancy's brand of characters generally make me want to vomit in my mouth and I don't really miss their translation into the video game format either.

Gameplay wise it was tighter, but I liked the first vegas for the story and scenarios. And like the second game was a different group and just ultimately not as good in my opinion. First game ends on a cliff hanger and then the second game just ignored that entirely.

pleasepaypreacher.net