Options

[Xbox] Game Pass - 10 million subscribers and counting

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    My PS4 Pro isn't too bad, at last once the optical drive stops spinning, but you can hear when the fans ramp up. But again, definitely not bad, I lucked out with that one I reckon since it seems to be a YMMV thing.

I don't think so. It's a pretty consistent feature of the original batch of consoles.

Do you remember when you bought it? It sounds like you have the second round, which made a substantial improvement (DF even did an examination of the hardware).

It's an early-ish one, I think. Still has the kettle plug, not the figure-8 plug. I got it used in... 2018, I think?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I just found out my Xbox 360 wireless receiver apparently no longer works. I used it about six weeks ago and now it doesn't power on.

I guess I'll buy a X1 controller/adapter now.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Nosf wrote: »
    Original Rainbow 6 Vegas had the best cover system, it just worked so well. Wish they still used it.

It's pretty clunky compared to modern systems if you go back to it. Modern Ubi games probably have the best cover systems I can think of, like Division and Ghost Recon.

not to keep bashing it but in the little bit of time i spent playing Breakpoint the cover mechanic was definitely one of the things that annoyed me. it felt like it snapped you against cover far to easily and was harder than it should be to pull away. Division 2 can be a bit fiddly at times but nowhere near as bad.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I do have to say I hate cover systems that don't operate on a button press. Like adaptive "you're near cover" can work, but most of the time it ends up frustrating the fuck out of me.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I just found out my Xbox 360 wireless receiver apparently no longer works. I used it about six weeks ago and now it doesn't power on.

I guess I'll buy a X1 controller/adapter now.

Yeah, I've gone through a few of them, they weren't famed for their long lifetimes. Then again, they're more than a decade old, and Microsoft stop manufacturing them years ago, so the quality of the of the third-party clones might be suspect.

The current generation Xbox One controllers have BT, so you don't need a USB receiver (even if the latency is better) if you have BT on your PC (or a long enough Micro-USB cable, I suppose).
    My PS4 Pro isn't too bad, at last once the optical drive stops spinning, but you can hear when the fans ramp up. But again, definitely not bad, I lucked out with that one I reckon since it seems to be a YMMV thing.

I don't think so. It's a pretty consistent feature of the original batch of consoles.

Do you remember when you bought it? It sounds like you have the second round, which made a substantial improvement (DF even did an examination of the hardware).

It's an early-ish one, I think. Still has the kettle plug, not the figure-8 plug. I got it used in... 2018, I think?

That might be the second model. It followed pretty quickly, but PSFro purchases, at least on this board (and at least that peopled were discussing) were very heavily heavily weighed towards the early-adopted crowd (the same could be true about Xbox One X, certainly).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynAr9kP-Xq8

Synthesis on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I've seen a couple of videos looking at the Series X hands on, but has anyone done one where they try out the controller? That Dpad choice is the biggest sticking point to me right now*, and I'd love to know if it works well.

* That is to say, not especially huge, thanks to backwards compatibility, but having a built-in capture button would be nice.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    I've seen a couple of videos looking at the Series X hands on, but has anyone done one where they try out the controller? That Dpad choice is the biggest sticking point to me right now*, and I'd love to know if it works well.

* That is to say, not especially huge, thanks to backwards compatibility, but having a built-in capture button would be nice.

Not much, beyond Digital Foundry discussing it. The D-Pad is a more substantial change, modeled after the Elite controllers'.

Also, Minecraft Dungeons is still coming out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNSBXlJOQAg&feature=emb_title

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

Eurogamer have an article to pair with the latest DF video looking at the hardware. not read the whole thing yet but there doesn't seem to be much on the D-pad, but what mention it does get is positive.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-constructing-xbox-series-x-a-revolution-in-console-design
    We had the chance to use the pad and fundamentally it delivers exactly what the Xbox team says it does. It's familiar, yet easier to hold, the share button addresses easy access to game clips and screenshots while the extra clicky d-pad feels like a big improvement over the existing pad. Under the hood, the latest Bluetooth radio is integrated for easier connectivity to non-Xbox hardware while the existing wireless interface is refined for lower latency. It's a software-based revamp on the pad at least, so the Xbox team's drive to lower input lag will be retrofitted into existing controllers, while the new model pairs to Xbox One too.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Yeah, I've never played Nier but the general diagnosis seems to be "Interesting world, rubbish controls" which was mostly fixed in Nier: Automata. I'd certainly give it a try if they did something about that.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Yet another game I bought and never played coming to gamepass. I’m such a dope

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Prohass wrote: »
    Yet another game I bought and never played coming to gamepass. I’m such a dope

AC7 coming to Game Pass was the big push to get those last two ace kills after I quit the game last year.

Well, that, and the area quarantine.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Go dance with the angels.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I need to play more games. I keep downloading them but never play them.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Played through Metro: Exodus

Pretty solid game. Thankfully the open world parts weren't as big as I thought or obnoxious with side tasks.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Also the previous Nier game is getting a remaster
    https://youtu.be/_sdn1B0N4k0

Interesting that it's gonna be the teen version of Nier that's coming out here. Wonder if daddy-Nier will get any love for the anniversary or if they're formally establishing teen-Nier as canon worldwide.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Mulletude wrote: »

Pretty solid game. Thankfully the open world parts weren't as big as I thought or obnoxious with side tasks.

Metro exodus is exactly how open world should be done. Everything has a hand crafted story to it, there are no filler places, it all feels rewarding and necessary to explore. They’re basically “open linear” sections. It’s still a focussed driven linear experience, you’re just in a big open space for atmosphere. Everything reacts to your presence, and there’s constantly changes happening based on what you’re doing.

Also It’s clear Ori was not ready for how much I would spam swim dash. I’ve had the camera just lose me and forget to track me as I dash off screen, and also dashed under the ground and gotten stuck

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I was just about to say the chase sequences in Ori 2 are way easier than the first one. Until I got to the sandworm bit. Are they fucking kidding me with this shit

Edit: Jesus finally done. Fucking hell

Prohass on
  • Options

Your twisted game needs to be reset.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

Eurogamer have an article to pair with the latest DF video looking at the hardware. not read the whole thing yet but there doesn't seem to be much on the D-pad, but what mention it does get is positive.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-constructing-xbox-series-x-a-revolution-in-console-design
    We had the chance to use the pad and fundamentally it delivers exactly what the Xbox team says it does. It's familiar, yet easier to hold, the share button addresses easy access to game clips and screenshots while the extra clicky d-pad feels like a big improvement over the existing pad. Under the hood, the latest Bluetooth radio is integrated for easier connectivity to non-Xbox hardware while the existing wireless interface is refined for lower latency. It's a software-based revamp on the pad at least, so the Xbox team's drive to lower input lag will be retrofitted into existing controllers, while the new model pairs to Xbox One too.

Thanks! Glad to hear what little there's been is positive.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options

Your twisted game needs to be reset.

Chopper dies.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular

I wanted to love Metro Exodus. But then I got stuck between a chair and a wall and the game autosaved, costing me several hours of progress.

Never went back. :(

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I command thee, thread, stir.

So, a few weeks ago when Sony finally revealed some (most?) of the Playstation 5 technical specifications, and Microsoft revealed the whole of Xbox Series X hardware, after the side by side comparison some wondered if Microsoft hadn't been "outplayed" by Sony in the technical side, even though (and perhaps directly because) we don't actually have the complete breakdown of the PS5 upcoming hardware in the same way we do the Series X hardware. For example, Jason Schreier suggested that developers were actually "excited" about Sony's hardware (and by implication, not excited about Microsoft's?).

Granted, in the same Twitter post, Mr. Schreier chose to quote a Sony first-party developer who declared that talking about GPU teraflops was dumb arguing while talking about solid state memory bandwidth was passionate passion, so the argument could've been made in a more persuasive manner.

I'm not wholly convinced of the argument myself, and prefer actual numerical comparisons where we can actually make them--though, almost by definition, these are numbers and have very limited practical application at minimum half a year before the actual console launch. So, the Series X Zen 2 CPU clocks at 3.8 Ghz, whereas the PS5 CPU Zen 2 clocks at 3.5 Ghz with variable frequency. The Series X GPU is a more conservative 52 cores at 1.825 Ghz whereas the PS5 is trying to brute-force it with 36 cores at 2.23 Ghz. The Series X can do 12 teraflops with that, while the PS5 can do 10.28 teraflops with that. The Series X will have 1 TB of storage, at 4.8 GB/s compressed, the PS5 will have 825 GB storage, but faster at 8 to 9 GB/s compressed. The PS5 will have 3D-traced sound--Series X is going to continue and go beyond the Xbox One's 3D surround sound.Numbers, conjecture, numbers, etc.

That being said, there hasn't exactly been a huge scandal about Phil Spencer being beaten at his own game ("We eventually had the most powerful console this generation, we'll have the most powerful one in the next...") with what sparing information we have on Sony's end. Even with Gaming's Own Walter Cronkite, second-hand impressions are kind of limited in either direction, and a present argument that Schreier seemed suggest on Kotaku's podcast was, "Actually, the Series X isn't significantly more powerful than the Playstation 5."

So, first off, I'm going to blissfully pretend that Jason Schreier was quoting me when he said that. Second, unless my English is failing me, that statement is kind of reliant on the assumption that it is more powerful, whatever that actually means (we're waiting on Sony for that)--it's just not that big of a difference. It doesn't sound like something you'd say authoritatively if it was less powerful. Not surprisingly, Sony's developers who are guaranteed to support the console (and you can bet they will) are looking forward to the new hardware--so are Microsoft's, the difference being we've gotten their feedback as part of the Series X reveal campaign, and not Twitter and second-hand accounts (which does not make them any less authentic, because it's not a unbelievable suggestion in the least).

So...we're basically where we were back when Sony finally revealed some of the PS5 hardware. Schreier seems to suggest that Sony hasn't revealed what the developers really are excited for (I thought it was the faster storage, but I'm some outsider schmuck who doesn't work in the industry), so there's that. He also seems to suggest that they may have lost the narrative in the meantime. As I'm fond of noting, the original Xbox had a huge technological edge on the Playstation 2--and that outsold the hell out of it despite only one year's lead (all the Xbox could brag was outselling the Gamecube while being more expensive).

Plus, as always, "it comes down to the games." Which is something I think Sony definitely has an edge with, but past experience has said it's going to take a time for that to actually manifest, and in the meantime, we're all going to be playing our current generation of games.

Also, some dude who worked on Killzone says the Series X is more powerful graphically, but are we really going to trust someone who worked in Killzone?

Blame the quarantine for making everyone more boring. On a less boring sidenote, if you haven't played Outer Wilds since the 1.04 update in December (like me), you should check it out as there's a pretty funny new optional ending. :D
    6n8o00xdacc0.jpg

Synthesis on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    A big difference is that the PS5 numbers are from boost mode. Your sustained running speed is closer to 9 tflops, with it threatening to take off from overheating if you try to push 10 all the time. There's really no doubt that Xbox has the better GPU, and the tower chassis to keep it cool and quiet while running full throttle at all times.

Xbox SSD being more modest might even be semi-intentional, to keep parity with PC SSDs. With DX 12 Ultimate standardized across both platforms I think that's going to be a big part of their software support strategy, reducing the effort for themselves and 3rd parties to support both platforms. Its also going to play a big part in standardizing raytracing into more PC games.

• Options
    Is sonic generations the good sonic game that started as a fan made game?

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    Is sonic generations the good sonic game that started as a fan made game?

No, that's Sonic Mania. Sonic Generations is 3D (but 2D platforming, I think).

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Sonic Generations has both 2D levels where you play as Classic Genesis-era Sonic and 3D "boost" levels with Modern Sonic. It's really good.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular

I wanted to love Metro Exodus. But then I got stuck between a chair and a wall and the game autosaved, costing me several hours of progress.

Never went back. :(

Had that happen early on, the getting stuck part, but thankfully it didn't save me there.

The game def has a bit of jank.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I played some Ghost Recon Breakpoint on the free play days weekend, and didn't hate it. Such that when the free period ended, I wanted to see where it went next enough that I pulled the trigger on it while it's still on sale.

It definitely feels like an unrefined earlier version in the series, like it and Wildlands should have come out the other way around. It's pretty bad at keeping you informed as to what your options are to do next, has a convoluted UI that makes finding anything tricky and time-consuming (and follows Ubisoft's current "thing" of having a virtual mouse pointer rather than a proper controller UI in menus), and the staggering idiocy of its inverted control settings are just mind-boggling - no way to invert Y on the drone, and inverting both the camera and control stick on the helicopters with no way to separate them (and although I've not flown one yet, I bet planes are similar), which is an extraordinary flub.

The new "immersion mode" dispenses with the levels for weapons, but also seemingly gets rid of the weapon-collecting that Wildlands had - I may not want to use all of these guns, but at least let me just pick them up to add to a locker or something without forcing me to drop the one I'm using. I did like collecting all the assorted weapons, add-ons, legends, documents etc in Wildlands and there's little of that here.

But, bitching aside... I still don't hate it. It scratches enough of the Wildlands itch, albeit very haphazardly, that I can tolerate some of its sins. I still want to see where it's going to go, so I'll stick with it for now.

Glad I skipped it at launch, but heavily discounted, it's "okay, even good sometimes, but not great". (Wildlands, by contrast, unexpectedly became one of my favourite games of the last decade.)

Edit: there are in fact ways to fix the drone/helicopter controls but they are buried another menu or two deep and are far from intuitive: https://www.reddit.com/r/GhostRecon/comments/d0i6vr/comment/ezfwy8s

Jazz on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Sonic Generations has both 2D levels where you play as Classic Genesis-era Sonic and 3D "boost" levels with Modern Sonic. It's really good.

Be warned that some of the later 3D levels are kinda janky with ample opportunities to fall off the board (just like their original games!) and the Colors levels go on for waaaaaay too long, but yeah, overall it's good.

There's loads of fun touches in there. In the 3D version of the Sonic Adventure 2, the 18-wheeler still chases you. In the 2D version, the 18-wheeler hops out and pounces on you like a damn landshark.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    For people still looking for console headsets, here's a list of good ones under $100.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Sonic Generations has a really good innovation for 2D levels. There's a sign that tells you that below you is a bottomless pit, rather than a lower route.

• Options
    The April Games with Gold has been revealed.

GWG_16x9_4UP_ESRB_JPG.jpg?w=1920

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

So, a few weeks ago when Sony finally revealed some (most?) of the Playstation 5 technical specifications, and Microsoft revealed the whole of Xbox Series X hardware, after the side by side comparison some wondered if Microsoft hadn't been "outplayed" by Sony in the technical side, even though (and perhaps directly because) we don't actually have the complete breakdown of the PS5 upcoming hardware in the same way we do the Series X hardware.

Please don't subtweet me. :razz:

• Options
    edited March 2020

So, a few weeks ago when Sony finally revealed some (most?) of the Playstation 5 technical specifications, and Microsoft revealed the whole of Xbox Series X hardware, after the side by side comparison some wondered if Microsoft hadn't been "outplayed" by Sony in the technical side, even though (and perhaps directly because) we don't actually have the complete breakdown of the PS5 upcoming hardware in the same way we do the Series X hardware.

Please don't subtweet me. :razz:

giphy.gif

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I am 100% going to replay Fable. That game was a freaking masterpiece. I wonder how it holds up, though...

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    I am 100% going to replay Fable. That game was a freaking masterpiece. I wonder how it holds up, though...

Depends on how fondly you enjoyed beating on the damage-sponges known as hobbes.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

GWG_16x9_4UP_ESRB_JPG.jpg?w=1920

Oh, nice - I’ve been eyeing up the Knights games for a while.

• Options
    Boo sonic generations for not having a 2nd player be tails. Was excited to play it with my gf who loves sonic games.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Playing Tails in same screen co-op was pretty bad in 2D, can't even imagine it in a 3D boost game.