As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who Watches HBO's [Watchmen]?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Oh I totally missed that too. I figured
    it was right before the others showed up to try and stop him. But that’s solid confirmation
    he says he'll be dropping the squid in 24 hours from when he's recording

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Oh I like that last point
    my only hitch is SAVE ME D... because if it is spelling Doctor Manhattan (which makes the most sense off the top of my head) I can’t see Veidt giving anything but a middle finger to Manhattan if he is in fact the captor. Dan Drieberg is the only other D I can immediately grab onto. But that seems to be a stretch given what we know

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    my only hitch is SAVE ME D... because if it is spelling Doctor Manhattan (which makes the most sense off the top of my head) I can’t see Veidt giving anything but a middle finger to Manhattan if he is in fact the captor. Dan Drieberg is the only other D I can immediately grab onto. But that seems to be a stretch given what we know

Wholeheartedly agreed.
    I would say it wasn't Manhattan though as Veidt was timing his message to be seen by space probe. If it's a known quantity he's trying to signal, Dreiburg might be his long shot, knowing that the government has him on ice currently (Dreiburg being captured in 85 and possibly having a grudge against Manhattan still), but would let him loose to investigate something possibly Manhattan related.

Given the evidence so far, unless somehow Eden has fundamentally broken down from what he was promised, I find it very unlikely given the circumstances that Veidt would be going to such lengths to contact Manhattan.

We just might see how wrong I can be in a couple days though!

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

Maybe he was gonna do an emoji
    SAVE ME D:
    DOCTOR MANHATTAN
    TRAPPED ME ON
    A MOON PRISON
    IT SUCKS HERE
    THERE'S CLONES
    OR SOMETHING
    SHIT'S WILD

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Ok, new chain of thought that just occurred to me while I've been cooking. (Spoilers through E5) Bear with me, this might get Reflecteen-hatty.
    Why did Veidt get spirited away? We know it had to be Manhattan, but what's the motive? By the end of the original book, Manhattan had stopped giving a shit about the Earth and wanted to do his thing, what changed in the 30 year gap?

I'm not certain how, but I'm fairly certain Lady Trieu got in touch with Manhattan and proposed some sort of deal. Take Veidt away, and she'd do something to make it worth his while. This part I'm fuzzy on cause it requires information I'm not sure we have yet, and involves motivations that aren't explored yet. My guess it's something to do with the Millennium Clock and Multiverse theory, but I'm willing to mull on that a bit.

If Veidt knew about the clock or something about it's effects, that would be reason to imprison him, as he could alert political allies to derail the project.

Manhattan may not leave this project by itself, focusing on it to make sure it gets done. He could be under our noses this whole time. But not as himself, that'd be far too obvious and cause too much of a stir. No, we have another connective tissue. The Lone Ranger is on Eden, but he's also in Tulsa. Will being 105 doesn't quite add up, even with Watchmen medical tech going on. I think Will might be Dr. Manhattan, especially with all the speculation that Manhattan can look like other people. It'd be super weird, but not weirder than a giant squid.

Likely not true, with the other obvious stuff we've gotten from the show but I'll call the shot, why not.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    You're all missing the obvious message.
    SAVE ME DAMNIT

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    SAVE ME DISCO DUCK

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    SAVE ME DAMON

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    save me d
    eez nuts

• Options
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    not penny's boat

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    D is the full name of the Lube Man.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I want a whole episode on whatever Lube Man's deal is.

At the same time, I kind of just want it left eternally unanswered.

• Options
    D is the full name of the Lube Man.

Gotta lube up that D

• Options
    I miss lube man

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    Every time I read Lube Man I need to get my mind out of the gutter.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    save me (a) diversionary ham

• Options
    Lube Man is always with us
    because he's Dale Petey

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    SAVE ME DADDY
    OH YEAH

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Just noticed the first part of the show's score is on Spotify now.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Robert Redford.
    I wonder if anyone talked to him about this show from HBO. There are some really dark implications about his character in the Veidt tape.

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    There are some shows where you can peg the ethos and morality and worldview of the story right from the jump

Lindelof shows are, uh, not those shows

the ethos of the show ive never liked is like "what if the liberals won/what if liberals were da badguys" where a concept like neoliberalism never comes up in a tangible way

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Just noticed the first part of the show's score is on Spotify now.

And if you buy it on vinyl there is no indication of it being the watchmen soundtrack. It is branded as sons of pale horse, the book of rosharche and is presented as an in world rock band named after a band killed in the squid attack. The liner notes are more watchmen world stuff.
    Other than a dc and WB logo, there is no indication that it is a trent Reznor joint

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    I want a whole episode on whatever Lube Man's deal is.

At the same time, I kind of just want it left eternally unanswered.

While watching, I thought it was going to turn into a fight (like a daft prison thing, lubing up to avoid grabs), and was so very delighted with where it went. I kind of hope we never see him again.

Re: messages and D's -
    I would have sworn the message actually spelled out at least 'doc', and was surprised to see the talk here. I'm going to rewatch that bit to make sure I'm (not?) losing my marbles, but apparently my brain just wanted that word to be there.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I have a feeling tonight's episode is going to be really good but also really annoying.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    This type of episode is extremely in the Lindelof wheelhouse, if it's what I think it is

• Options
    I'm jazzed out of my fuckin' mind for "Past-bleeds-into-the-present drug trip"

It's my thematic shit, it's my formal fuckery shit, it's my formal-fuckery-shit-reflecting-thematic-shit shit

I'm AMPED

• Options
    This rules

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    This episode

Was extremely good
    Now all I can see are eyes

The 7K eye! The KKK one on the note given along with the painting! The squid eye!

Eyes!!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    This episode had me fuckin' weeping within the first twenty minutes, had me consistently agog at the craft of the enterprise, had me astounded at how deftly it blends its material with the source material

And I'm still only halfway in

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Also
    I did not anticipate them making the Superman subtext text

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    This episode had me fuckin' weeping within the first twenty minutes, had me consistently agog at the craft of the enterprise, had me astounded at how deftly it blends its material with the source material

And I'm still only halfway in

Just finished the episode and "deft" is the exact right word.

That was a brilliant episode.
    The use of two (!) Ink Spots songs was really inspired.

On top of that, I wonder if that was a subtle nod to Fallout, which is another story with an alternate history, retro-futuristic setting that deals explicitly with the apocalypse. Maybe I'm reading too much into that but still. Bravo.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Uh.

Holy shit

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    The ending doesn't add up.
    Was Will shitting out Nostalgia pills right there under the tree?
    The content of the episode was good, though.

• Options
    He disappeared for a while when he was in "custody"

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    He disappeared for a while when he was in "custody"
    Also, Angela didn't get the pills until the car was dropped off, Trieu probably extracted them between rescuing him and dropping it off

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Goddamnit that was good