Options

[The Witcher] Watching Season 2 is Your Destiny, Probably

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Just finished this

I super duper loved it

• Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    The design of their armour does make me wonder if it's supposed to be metal. You could (probably) make weird wrinkled leather, but it would be a hell of a task for a blacksmith to hammer a breastplate to have all the odd creases the Nilfgardians have. Suppose you can just wave your hands, say "It's fantasy" and move on, just odd that every other piece of armour and clothing in the game seem fairly grounded in the world, but then a whole army's equipped with this armour that would be almost impossible to manufacture with the technology presented in the world.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    LJDouglas wrote: »
    The design of their armour does make me wonder if it's supposed to be metal. You could (probably) make weird wrinkled leather, but it would be a hell of a task for a blacksmith to hammer a breastplate to have all the odd creases the Nilfgardians have. Suppose you can just wave your hands, say "It's fantasy" and move on, just odd that every other piece of armour and clothing in the game seem fairly grounded in the world, but then a whole army's equipped with this armour that would be almost impossible to manufacture with the technology presented in the world.

The world that completely re-formed a human being through magic and a paintbrush?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

I like this and I do agree that being sort of willfully trashy is a big part of the success of the show

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Having the chyron wouldn't help me, because the number is honestly kind of meaningless and so by the next scene I wouldn't remember it.

Although I have only had time to watch the first episode.

I was picturing something like, Ciri's storylines all have "Present Day." Geralt's stuff has, like, "Twenty years ago" (or whatever). Yennefer is "One hundred years ago," or however long ago her shit is, I'm actually not sure.

I don't need hard numbers, just a general outline of where we are in time.

They give you those as the story progresses, but they're not explicit

I've been watching the show, yes, I'm aware. I'm saying I would prefer they be explicit, since the ambiguity contributes nothing thematically and keeping everything straight makes watching the show needlessly laborious.

I kind of like the fact that they trusted the audience had the intelligence to figure it out, tbh

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    honestly if anything the nudity in this feels downright restrained compared to a lot of these kinds of shows.

and this is a show with a garden full of naked women and at least one orgy.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yeah I liked how's just treated as something people do.

Like of course if you could summon persistent illusions you would make a garden full of naked people.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I'm five episodes in and I'll say that the timeline stuff threw me a bunch too. I have zero familiarity with the source material(s), beyond like, general murmurs about the games which don't really focus heavily on that sort of worldbuilding stuff.

I theoretically like the idea of puzzling out the timeline and starting to see the weird cause and effect between the three parallel stories, but I wish there was something. My version of it would be, rather than explicitly stating years, starting off each segment with the name(s) of its central character. This would prevent some of the intercut stuff, of course, but honestly I found a lot of that intercut stuff confusing in the first couple of episodes before I was properly familiar with what was going on in the world.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I don't agree with how they handled the timelines, but I understand the reasons they give for doing it so it doesn't bother me too much.

That being said I introduced the show to my sister when I was visiting for Christmas and wound up just explaining the timelines to her, because once she realized they weren't happening at the same time she would get distracted trying to figure out when everything takes place and miss some of the important stuff that was happening. My sister has 0 previous knowledge of the series btw.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    During Krampusnacht someone was wondering how a person with a much longer relationship with the Witcher feels about the series.
    I read the books when I was 13-14 (some 20 years ago) and then again after completing all three games. Here in Poland, the Witcher is classic fantasy, I'd say many fans consider it second only to Tolkien. And I mean fantasy fans, not Witcher fans. As you might imagine, we look at the series in a much more critical way.
    -I love the acting of pretty much all three main characters, that is Geralt, Yennefer and Jaskier ;) Yeah, ok, Ciri's acting is alright too, but almost nothing about her storyline was emotionally engaging to me. I believe the books did a good job of making her a main character right when it mattered.
    -Yennefer's backstory is much better, it does a good job of balancing the extremely masculine Geralt's parts. Although I find the power-fish plot element absurdly grimdark and unnecessary (in the later books you can see how much Tissaia actually cared for all her adepts).
    -The scenery, most of the costumes, the music (and songs) - all superb
    -I understand they couldn't do all the short stories, especially given that they wildly vary in tone. "The Eternal Flame", though one of my favourites, is ultimately almost pure comedy, "Sliver of Ice" is probably a bit too much of a psychological drama. "A Little Sacrifice" would have been a pretty good addition, especially since it features Jaskier, but I'm absolutely perplexed as to why they chose to omit "A Grain of Truth" - one of the very few 100% hard witchering stories with a fantastic horror / dark fantasy feel. I think it would have been a lot more engaging than showing the battle of Sodden… or showing the goddamn Slaughter of Cintra TWICE.
    -I found the simplification of the gold dragon story, quite sad, though it does seem like it was too much for one episode. "End of the World" did deserve more attention that what was essentially three scenes.
    -Like many here, I didn't enjoy the timeline shenanigans, even though I knew exactly what was going on. Skipping Ciri's part and putting a fragment of Yennefer's storyline at the beginning of each episode until their meeting, with a clear display of "x years ago" would have worked great.
    -I generally don't mind extra racial diversity, and it seemed to work really well here, though personally I found the addition of a black elf youth quite forced. But I imagine it doesn't have quite the same impact for a US-viewer and his acting was all right.
    All the other stuff like the Nilfgaard armour, the gold dragon CGI, and a couple of small directing mistakes - those are minor details to me.

All in all, I find the first season equally enjoyable and disappointing, however I see a lot of potential for it to get better.[/quote]

Mayday on
  • Options
    I think, if the team behind the series is any kind of competent, that S2 will likely be a lot more focused and, well, better.

I am hoping that the show hits its stride now that all the important story elements and introductions are sussed out, and we can get a Nilfgaardian iron fist proper.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Season 2 should at least feel better from a structural standpoint. Season 1 ends with the last short story. Everything from here on out is going to be the novels I imagine so the timeline should be more or less straight forward compared to season 1.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    Turning a mage into a fireball seems wasteful

We already have the ability to throw things that are on fire at other things. They even had a catapult right there!

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    LJDouglas wrote: »

The world that completely re-formed a human being through magic and a paintbrush?

I mean, I guess. But are they getting their wizards to magic up armour for everyone? Especially considering how combustible their mages seem to be. To its credit it's definitely a distinctive style, I do think it looks neat. Does rather stand out as oddly fantastic and ornate compared to everyone else's clothing was my only issue.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    yeah
    that second sacrificial mage should have been like "uh hey, so they sort of just deflected that first one, and without sacrificing anyone. Could I not die just to have that happen again please?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I dunno. That seemed a lot more dangerous than your standard rock coated in pitch type siege ammo. Looked like half the size of the fortress. Plus, no slow, inconvenient siege weapons!

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    But Nilfgaard are
    religious fanatics
    in this version. For... some... reason. So they wanted to make that clear. How unambiguously bad the bad guys in black armor were.

RT800 on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yea, magic fireball of doom is supposed to be more powerful.

And it's not like the idea of people using human lives as weapons to try and gain advantages over others who don't is unbelievable even in our world.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I'm done with Blood and Wine. It got me right in the feels.
    I was so utterly done with Syanna's shit. The show's episode 1, and Geralt literally comparing her to Renfri in the game, made the decision whether or not to trust her far too simple. I was ready to feed her to Detlaff but the ribbon helped her escape to face trial by Anna.

In the conclusion, I warned the guards Anna was Syanna's final target in the hitlist, but for some reason did not tell Anna. Anna acted naive as hell, but successfully reconciled, which surprised me. Maybe the lack of that little detail helped them both speak from the heart.

Geralt dwelling on retirement at the villa and smiling at the camera got me a little choked up. He finally did it. :) Yennifer showed up in the epilogue, but I wish Ciri paid a visit, or was mentioned. She probably has a lot of work to do, cleaning up the overall shittiness of the continent...

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Ciri's busy fucking whores and punching bards in the gut.

The Witcher life.

• Options
    Mayday wrote: »
    Ciri's busy fucking whores and punching bards in the gut.

The Witcher life.

I think my Ciri has both on tap at the Nilfgaard capital.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »

We already have the ability to throw things that are on fire at other things. They even had a catapult right there!
    Cantido wrote: »
    I was so utterly done with Syanna's shit. The show's episode 1, and Geralt literally comparing her to Renfri in the game, made the decision whether or not to trust her far too simple. I was ready to feed her to Detlaff but the ribbon helped her escape to face trial by Anna.

In the conclusion, I warned the guards Anna was Syanna's final target in the hitlist, but for some reason did not tell Anna. Anna acted naive as hell, but successfully reconciled, which surprised me. Maybe the lack of that little detail helped them both speak from the heart.

Geralt dwelling on retirement at the villa and smiling at the camera got me a little choked up. He finally did it. :) Yennifer showed up in the epilogue, but I wish Ciri paid a visit, or was mentioned. She probably has a lot of work to do, cleaning up the overall shittiness of the continent...
    I'm pretty salty about the end of Blood and Wine honestly
    You accidentally got the very difficult good ending, but most players are going to be unable to convince Syanna not to kill Anna and there's nothing you can do to convince Anna not to let her. I replayed that section about 10 times trying different things but nope, I missed something I was supposed to do so Syanna is going to kill Anna and then get killed by the guards no matter what. Booooo. The Unseen Elder path is great though, you should go back and do it.

Ciri does visit if she becomes Empress, although most people think that's not as good an ending as Witcher Ciri. I don't think we agree but that's fine.

• Options
    Ciri visits Geralt in the anniversary cinematic. (Witcher 3)

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Coinage wrote: »

You accidentally got the very difficult good ending, but most players are going to be unable to convince Syanna not to kill Anna and there's nothing you can do to convince Anna not to let her. I replayed that section about 10 times trying different things but nope, I missed something I was supposed to do so Syanna is going to kill Anna and then get killed by the guards no matter what. Booooo. The Unseen Elder path is great though, you should go back and do it.

Ciri does visit if she becomes Empress, although most people think that's not as good an ending as Witcher Ciri. I don't think we agree but that's fine.

To be fair I got a not-great ending for Vivienne by doing what I thought was the right thing for her.
    I maintained confidentially on Vivienne's curse, not so much because I was concerned about Guillemue hating her for it but giving Vivienne the space and comfort to go through with it. She outright calls out Guillemue for thinking with his cock but in the end his raging knightly love would have helped to cure the curse even better because reasons.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Coinage wrote: »

To be fair I got a not-great ending for Vivienne by doing what I thought was the right thing for her.
    I maintained confidentially on Vivienne's curse, not so much because I was concerned about Guillemue hating her for it but giving Vivienne the space and comfort to go through with it. She outright calls out Guillemue for thinking with his cock but in the end his raging knightly love would have helped to cure the curse even better because reasons.
    Well he doesn't cure the curse, he transfers it to himself, which I think makes sense. But yeah the optics of violating her privacy for a better ending isn't great. I think there's a dark undercurrent to it because she's pretty dang obligated to never dump him now, but they seem pretty happy when you talk to them again (at least for the moment he doesn't even mind that he's growing feathers) so it doesn't really come through.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    This show wouldn't exist without the games and Doug Cockle's portrayal of Geralt, but I'm really happy with the show, and Henry Cavill is a perfectly great lead with some really strong supporting performances.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I forgot to post this the other day.

After finishing the series my GF made this cool little wood burning on a coaster:

1DhsQWZ.jpg?3

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    The Witcher song has some top-tier lyrics
    "He thrust every elf
    Far back on the shelf"

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Toss a Coin having good, trashy lyrics and the catchiest tune possible seems very on-brand for a proper bard's song

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    In Witcher 3, do you revisit previous areas for the main quest?

I’m at novigrad and most of the stuff is level 5-10, with a few things level 20+. Do I organically come back at a time where I can have an easier time with those things, or are those just meant to be higher than normally difficulty things with higher than normal rewards?

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

I’m at novigrad and most of the stuff is level 5-10, with a few things level 20+. Do I organically come back at a time where I can have an easier time with those things, or are those just meant to be higher than normally difficulty things with higher than normal rewards?

you're gonna basically travel around the areas as you please, you won't get locked out of anywhere

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    IIRC you can end up at a point where you have to go to different places to progress the story, but given that the game is huge that can take a while.

I regret not going to Skellige earlier, because I had basically cleared the main non-Skellige map before I went over there, and then I quickly got sick of Skellige. I probably would have liked it more if I was moving to different areas instead of how I did it.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    The game will straight up tell you that you’re entering a point of no return IIRC.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

Yes, you will organically come back to Novigrad after you complete the main quest line in each area.

• Options
    Yeah I wasted a bunch of time trying to Hattori's quest at too low level because I wanted that sword. Eventually gave up, came back later, and the sword was trash. I think I sold it to him directly to express my displeasure.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    It’s not really the point of no return I’m worried about, it’s more ‘is it worth it from a routing standpoint to visit all of the points of interest my first time through, or is that horribly inefficient?’

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    I've got about 40 hours under my belt and, from what I can tell, there's no real reason to take on content you're seriously underleveled for. It's technically possible, but you can also just come back later.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I like this and I do agree that being sort of willfully trashy is a big part of the success of the show

It's a big part of the games as well. There is a lot of "fate of the world" stuff. And then you go drink with friends and complain about girlfriends.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    So, how much of the show connects with the game, because I started the second one, and i have a hard time imagining the show king fontest doing the game king stuff

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Everything in the show is a loose adaptation of the books, and all of the books take place prior to the games.

So the show has basically nothing to do with the story from the games, though the game does occasionally reference Geralt's history from the books.

RT800 on