Options

[The Witcher] Watching Season 2 is Your Destiny, Probably

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm also playing Witcher 3 for the first time, and I have some questions about things between games
    I just finished playing 2 the other day and I'm not clear on if Geralt actually got his memory back at the end? I thought that was kind of the whole point of the game but it didn't seem to get resolved or if it did the game was super casual about it. At the start of 3 does Geralt remember everything? Cos he doesn't seem that excited about finally meeting Yen after 2 years.

How long is the gap between 2 and 3 meant to be, anyway?

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    I'm also playing Witcher 3 for the first time, and I have some questions about things between games
    I just finished playing 2 the other day and I'm not clear on if Geralt actually got his memory back at the end? I thought that was kind of the whole point of the game but it didn't seem to get resolved or if it did the game was super casual about it. At the start of 3 does Geralt remember everything? Cos he doesn't seem that excited about finally meeting Yen after 2 years.

I'd say a few months?
    Nilfgaard has moved up to the pontar and they wanted to derp the 2 remaining northern kingdoms after the winter.
    Come summer and radovid had conquered his neighbour, posing a serious threat to the invasion.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Netflix really missed the boat with the OST.
    I wanted to listen to toss a coin on Spotify but apparently the original is nowhere to be found. Just covers cashing in on the absence of an OST.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular

Geralt does get all his memories back in 2. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure it winds up being a big thing of you had been doing the Triss romance since Geralt realizes that Triss wasn't the sorceresses that he had been in love with before his memory went away and that Triss had kinda been lying to him.

By the start of 3 he knows everything again.

As for when he meets Yennefer in 3. Geralt and Yen's relationship is Complicated. Plus at that point he had learned that something was going on with Ciri and is in full "gotta find my daughter nothing else matters" Dad mode.

There's a lot of stuff later that expands on Geralt and Yen's relationship, especially is you choose the Yen romance.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I must've missed something then because there was really nothing to indicate he'd got his memory back at the end of 2.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Ya most of it is tied to this quest.

https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Returning_Memories

It doesn't really touch the book stuff and more focuses on how Geralt got from the end of the books to the start of Witcher 1.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    I got all the cutscenes. I guess I was expecting something bigger at the end but oh well.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I really like The Witcher taking a gnarly badass sword swinging, lady laying, mutant monster hunter and going... "make him a sort of overbearing but genuinely caring dad who's just trying his best to make his adopted magic daughter happy and also make sure she doesn't get eaten by witches or whatever."

I just wish there were more dad joke options.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I really like The Witcher taking a gnarly badass sword swinging, lady laying, mutant monster hunter and going... "make him a sort of overbearing but genuinely caring dad who's just trying his best to make his adopted madic daughter happy and also make sure she doesn't get eaten by witches or whatever."

I just wish there were more dad joke options.

I played 3 and then 2 so I didn't get the whole Dad thing until deep into 3 and it kind of ruined the ending because I was playing Geralt as a dirtbag ladies man and he should have been Dad Mode.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I also love how

spoilers for the end of the Witcher books and beginning of WItcher 1

Geralt starts the game getting murdered. Then, throughout the games people are like 'Weren't you killed by a mob?' and Geralt be like 'Yeah but don't worry about it.'

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I watched the whole series in two days with my sister. Makes me want to play the games and read the books.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Is there anyway to get subtitles in Netflix? We watched the first 2 episodes and I really enjoyed them but man folks will go from easily heard to basically background noise randomly. We had to stop rewind and even then sometimes couldn't make out what the actor or actress was saying.

Also for the books, looking online it seems The Last Wish and The Sword of Destiny seem to be the ones to start with?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Bloods End wrote: »
    So, how much of the show connects with the game, because I started the second one, and i have a hard time imagining the show king fontest doing the game king stuff

I have no idea how Foltest is shown in the books. But in the games (which are after the books) he's a ruthless bastard, but he's also a competent, ruthless, knows-how-to-fight bastard, and smart enough to work with the Witcher. So in context of the games he's kind of a bro, weird as that sounds. You end up allied against worst types.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Is there anyway to get subtitles in Netflix? We watched the first 2 episodes and I really enjoyed them but man folks will go from easily heard to basically background noise randomly. We had to stop rewind and even then sometimes couldn't make out what the actor or actress was saying.

Also for the books, looking online it seems The Last Wish and The Sword of Destiny seem to be the ones to start with?

Yeah there is a subtitles/captions option. I forget if it's in your profile or if you just turn it on during the a show and it remembers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

Yeah there is a subtitles/captions option. I forget if it's in your profile or if you just turn it on during the a show and it remembers.

Pause the show and it's a pop up menu down the bottom next to the scrub bar. It should remember the show-specific setting you chose.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

Yeah those are the two first books, both short story collections.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Everyone always talking about Toss a coin to your Witcher, but goddamn Her Sweet Kiss dominated my brain for like a week. It's a shame they put it during the credits when a bunch of people will probably just skip it.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Everyone always talking about Toss a coin to your Witcher, but goddamn Her Sweet Kiss dominated my brain for like a week. It's a shame they put it during the credits when a bunch of people will probably just skip it.

I did skip it, but it certainly wasn't by choice!

Thanks Netflix!!!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Yeah I liked how's just treated as something people do.

Like of course if you could summon persistent illusions you would make a garden full of naked people.

I found the naked garden illusions very offensive.
    He couldn't even be bothered to teach them how to pick fruit.

I swear in the final scene in that garden there is a woman in the background who spends the entire scene attempting to pick a single apple and never succeeding.

• Options
    Maybe she was nervous
    naked women picking apples in magical gardens tends to end badly

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Also, it is somewhat difficult to pick an illusion.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    In the book it was clearly stated that yes, the woman (I think there was just one in the book?) is an illusion, but it's an illusion you can fuck.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote: »

I did skip it, but it certainly wasn't by choice!

Thanks Netflix!!!
    UI updates can really suck sometimes.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Finished S1 and can't wait for S2 already. That was great. It got me even more into replaying Switcher3.
    Made me realize that I've completely forgotten what ending I got in blood and wine last time, only that Geralt ended up doing some time in prison, and the rest is hazy.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    In the book it was clearly stated that yes, the woman (I think there was just one in the book?) is an illusion, but it's an illusion you can fuck.

I am currently reading this and yes the woman is also an illusion.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Maybe she was nervous
    naked women picking apples in magical gardens tends to end badly

Also probably been told not to pull off any dangling bits...

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »

So you're saying it is possible to Use Your Illusion?

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Ep 8
    Who was the dude Vilgefortz smashed (phrasing) after waking up?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    Ep 8
    Not sure if he has a name but he was on the side of the sorcerers, i.e. the same side as Vilgefortz. Unclear why he killed him rather than help him. Possibly Vilgefortz didn’t want people to know he survived

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Ep 8
    Not sure if he has a name but he was on the side of the sorcerers, i.e. the same side as Vilgefortz. Unclear why he killed him rather than help him. Possibly Vilgefortz didn’t want people to know he survived

That makse sense, thanks

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Ep 8
    vilgefortz is just the worst wizard. They should've sent the massed neck snapping lady, or anybody else.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I installed the autoloot mod in Witcher 3. I do not recommend it for new players but it is hilarious just running around a town vacuuming up all the loot, even the stuff inside of locked buildings as you pass.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I've also added a bunch of mods. Getting them working together with the script merger was like a minigame in itself.

My Geralt now wears a black cloak with a hood and whenever I'm in witcher-sense-detective-mode I keep muttering "I'm Batman" to myself.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Ep 8
    vilgefortz is just the worst wizard. They should've sent the massed neck snapping lady, or anybody else.

Literally any other sorcerer would have won that fight.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Ep 8

vilgefortz is almost certainly a mole, and he was working for nilfgarde, so he threw the fight I'm pretty sure and then killed that guy because he saw him survive

• Options
    Anzekay wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    Ep 8

vilgefortz is almost certainly a mole, and he was working for nilfgarde, so he threw the fight I'm pretty sure and then killed that guy because he saw him survive
    Yeah, that was my takeaway also, but it's more fun to hate on him for being incompetent because he is.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Vilgefortz seems to know only one spell, and it's Summon Dagger, loses 50% of d20 rolls for mana refresh, and he has a very low mana pool.
    Worst D & D character ever.

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Vilgefortz seems to know only one spell, and it's Summon Dagger, loses 50% of d20 rolls for mana refresh, and he has a very low mana pool.
    Worst D & D character ever.
    He selected the spells that sounded cool but didn't read the descriptions. He's also the same guy that never actually knows what the abilities do and ends up dragging down combat while someone else reads the phb for him.

• Options
    He really is the worst
    Summon four swords before getting a nosebleed

Just hire some peasant to squire for you