Options

[The Witcher] Watching Season 2 is Your Destiny, Probably

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    In the books there is a mage who prefers the melee but it's unusual, horribly effective though like helplessly beats Geralt to bits with a stick

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The proper English translation for Witcher is He-Witch.

What like widow and widower?

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    re blaviken books/show:
    I liked the show spin on it.
    Geralt had more of a choice here and the witcher world is all about good intentions, questionable outcomes for me.
    I think that they could have perhaps worked in her line from the books to underline it some more.

also the score for the series is great, netflix had better release that asap.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    In the books there is a mage who prefers the melee but it's unusual, horribly effective though like helplessly beats Geralt to bits with a stick

I liked the one guy in the show who's magic power was Infinite Swords.

By which I mean I found it funny because that is a terrible use of magic. Using it to do something lots of people already do without magic. And most people who fight with swords only need one!

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Yeah the guy in the books is just magically fast

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It's not even like he was using his power as a combat strategy. He could, like, intentionally let the other guy disarm him, and then stab him in the guts with a magical surprise sword before he realized what was happening. Instead, he'd just lose his sword and they'd glare at each other for five seconds until the sword delivery arrived.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    "So what's your magic specialty?"

"Amazon Prime!"

"... I'm gonna stab you now."

13iepvv6o8ip.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I watched the first episode and am now reinstalling Witcher 3. Also I'm already falling down the mod installing hole.

Is it worth rebuying on PC for mods?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    The proper English translation for Witcher is He-Witch.

What like widow and widower?

Eeeeeh, kinda?

Witch is "wiedźma" where the "a" at the end usually denotes a feminine gender of the word.
    Witcher is "wiedźmin", but the "in" suffix doesn't actually have any specific significance, other than sounding obviously masculine - as a word, not as the object/person the word is describing.
    It's a neologism, I don't think anybody who hears it for the first time thinks "male witch".

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular

Lauren is the showrunner for The Witcher.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Even with the caveat of Netflix's questionable and opaque metrics, I would've not guessed The fuckin Witcher of all things would be one of the most watched shows in 2019. Legit flabbergasted at its popularity.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    like you telling me that some semi-obscure Polish fantasy gonna beat out baby fuckin yoda goddamn you wildin

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So the way Nilgard uses magic users

Isn't it kind of wasteful to use up magic users like that? I mean, magic seems super freaking useful! Why sacrifice a magic user to chuck a fireball? Or Read their entrails? Or like everything else. Freaking preserve your resources! Especially since it seems like magic (or chaos) is dying out in humans.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    like you telling me that some semi-obscure Polish fantasy gonna beat out baby fuckin yoda goddamn you wildin

Baby Yoda don't look like this though

henry-cavill-went-to-other-extremes-to-play-the-witcher-1577544662.jpg

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    also it seems like there's been tons of marketing for this, which is unusual for Netflix

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    So the way Nilgard uses magic users

Isn't it kind of wasteful to use up magic users like that? I mean, magic seems super freaking useful! Why sacrifice a magic user to chuck a fireball? Or Read their entrails? Or like everything else. Freaking preserve your resources! Especially since it seems like magic (or chaos) is dying out in humans.
    Well that's probably why they are conscripting any mages they can get a hold of. They have Fringilla as the big sorc in charge and then a continuously gathering disposable ones to sway their favor in more important battles.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Also, Disney+ has only just started, so the audience is smaller.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator Mod Emeritus
    I never read or played any Witchers, but I am watching the show and really enjoying it. I absolutely love that it isn't exposition heavy. They just drop you into the living world and tell stories, and let you suss things out for yourself.

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Yup, I quite enjoyed that aspect of it all as well. I also didn't find the timelines confusing or that I was missing anything in general. Super happy with this show!

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »

Henry Cavill just fucking raised the goddamned unrealistic dude body standards again and I hate him I hate his beautiful, chiseled guts.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    also it seems like there's been tons of marketing for this, which is unusual for Netflix

also a ton of genuine fan excitement surrounding it prior to release

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I watched the first episode and am now reinstalling Witcher 3. Also I'm already falling down the mod installing hole.

Is it worth rebuying on PC for mods?

Eh. They are mainly some ease of life mods and making textures look sharper.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Juggernut wrote: »

Henry Cavill just fucking raised the goddamned unrealistic dude body standards again and I hate him I hate his beautiful, chiseled guts.

I'm gonna go do some angry pushups.

Goddammit.

• Options
    Is the Switch version of The Witcher (The Switcher?) decent

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    There's a few interviews where Cavill talks about the way he had to dehydrate himself for like 3 days before they would shoot any shirtless scene so that he would look like that.

Surprise surprise it's super unhealthy and makes you feel like shit.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    That's my secret Cap. I'm always dehydrated.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Yeah no that's dumb but you still gotta be fuckin yolked to look that yaked after dehydrating yourself.

I wish I had millions of dollars to pay someone to hit me with a cattle prod anytime I reach for a carb.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    I guess I got some leave coming up if you think a week or so would help.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    This is like the Kumail Nanjiani thing all over again!

You both need to be in very good shape to have all the muscles built up and then you get super dehydrated to give you all the definition for all those glam shots because of course hollywood only wants the best.

And shit, you wanna see some crazy dehydration stuff look at what fighters do leading up to fights.

What they weigh and look like the very night before fighting is completely different.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Yeah a buddy of mine went and trained with BJ Penn before he went on to some semi-professional events and he said BJ weighed in at 155 to 155.5 pounds on the night before the fight but his fighting weight was closer to 170. The dude would eat 15 pounds worth of food and liquid in under 24 hours.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    On the exposition note, I noticed how they never explain signs at all in the show. He doesn't even use them much, like I think I remember one axii and a few aards. They reference aard by name once, and then never mention it again.

It just feels like something I'd expect them either to lay out the rules of really clearly, or else if they're only going to use it as rarely as they do then just leave out entirely. Same with the potions. I like how they just trust the audience to pick it up, but then I've played the games so I don't know how it comes across if you're going in blind.

• Options
    I assumed he could only cast spells at all if he'd drank the right potion.

• Options
    Yeah a buddy of mine went and trained with BJ Penn before he went on to some semi-professional events and he said BJ weighed in at 155 to 155.5 pounds on the night before the fight but his fighting weight was closer to 170. The dude would eat 15 pounds worth of food and liquid in under 24 hours.

That number can go even higher than that. There are some fighters who come in to fights gaining back 20-30lbs from weigh ins.

Shit is insane.

• Options

Nah. Potions, at least in the games, I don't remember the book I read well, are basically buffs that make you stronger/faster/resistant to certain damages. Signs are like force powers he can use whenever.

• Options
    The potions and his limited little spells come across just fine without previous exposure to the setting. (In my case, at least.) They do talk a bit about his little spells in a couple places (brief mocking questions, etc.) and though I have no idea what they're called, that's not really important.

• Options

Nah. Potions, at least in the games, I don't remember the book I read well, are basically buffs that make you stronger/faster/resistant to certain damages. Signs are like force powers he can use whenever.

This was my take on the situation.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Then there's the oils in the game that you apply to swords to give them buffs as well against monster types like insectoid, etc.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    What about the oils you apply to your pecs?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    What about the oils you apply to your pecs?

It's a medieval fantasy setting, gun oil hasn't been invented yet.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    On the exposition note, I noticed how they never explain signs at all in the show. He doesn't even use them much, like I think I remember one axii and a few aards. They reference aard by name once, and then never mention it again.

It just feels like something I'd expect them either to lay out the rules of really clearly, or else if they're only going to use it as rarely as they do then just leave out entirely. Same with the potions. I like how they just trust the audience to pick it up, but then I've played the games so I don't know how it comes across if you're going in blind.

As someone with zero book/game knowledge, his abilities and potions came across as cool things he can use to fight monsters because he is a supernatural badass. The rules of how/when/why they work aren't really important to me. If I have to choose between watching a scene of Cavill Witchering things and a scene where they explain how his monster fighting potion works, I'll take the former, please.