Options

[The Witcher] Watching Season 2 is Your Destiny, Probably

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Who the hell was was that guy with the hourglasses Yennefer talked to? He never showed up again but that conversation was so long

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Who the hell was was that guy with the hourglasses Yennefer talked to? He never showed up again but that conversation was so long

From what I could pick up from context. A mage like her who left the brotherhood. One of her avenues of treatment to restore her fertility.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Knob wrote: »
    Is the Switch version of The Witcher (The Switcher?) decent

I hear it's a actually a real decent port. All the DLC, and nothing cut, which is pretty remarkable given the hardware.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Knob wrote: »
    Is the Switch version of The Witcher (The Switcher?) decent

I hear it's a actually a real decent port. All the DLC, and nothing cut, which is pretty remarkable given the hardware.

Most astonishing about it is how it runs smoothly and... Look, you're not gonna mistake it for any of the other versions, but it looks better than I thought it could.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    In the books there is a mage who prefers the melee but it's unusual, horribly effective though like helplessly beats Geralt to bits with a stick

I liked the one guy in the show who's magic power was Infinite Swords.

By which I mean I found it funny because that is a terrible use of magic. Using it to do something lots of people already do without magic. And most people who fight with swords only need one!
    Both of you are actually describing the same guy, Vilgefortz.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    In the books there is a mage who prefers the melee but it's unusual, horribly effective though like helplessly beats Geralt to bits with a stick

I liked the one guy in the show who's magic power was Infinite Swords.

By which I mean I found it funny because that is a terrible use of magic. Using it to do something lots of people already do without magic. And most people who fight with swords only need one!
    Both of you are actually describing the same guy, Vilgefortz.
    Huh. It's a shame he got nerfed for the show.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I installed too many mods and Witcher 3 won’t work and I’m too lazy to fix it. As is the cycle.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Isn't there a mod now that replaces Geralt's face with Henry Cavil's?

Henry Cavil does a fine enough job in the show but... c'mon.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Find me a mod that replaces Geralt's face with Henry Cavill's hog and we'll talk.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Lauren is the showrunner for The Witcher.

Someone explain what a ‘demand expression’ is that this article is using at a metric

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Just finished this
    kind of an abrupt end, and I was a little surprised the main three never actually wind up all together before it ended, but I generally liked the season quite a lot

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    If you like the music, check out the game soundtracks, plus the Music Inspired by The Witcher:
    https://youtu.be/T6pAqnNFUmI

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

Lauren is the showrunner for The Witcher.

Someone explain what a ‘demand expression’ is that this article is using at a metric

It's some bullshit number they made up because they don't have access to actual usage data.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Also, Disney+ has only just started, so the audience is smaller.

It's not even available in a lot of countries. In Europe it starts in the UK, Germany, France, Italy, and Spain at the end of march. That's about as much population as the US just there. So apples and oranges

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I really think they could have raised the Metacritic score 10 points by just deleting 20% of the references to destiny.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    That guy needs to conserve his chaos.

• Options
    Toss a Coin is good and all but I'm kinda disappointed it was basically his only song.

You'd think as a bard he'd have one or two more.

That weren't just one-off joke rhymes for passersby to boo him for.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The end credits of a couple other episodes have Jaskier songs as well

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Toss a Coin is good and all but I'm kinda disappointed it was basically his only song.

You'd think as a bard he'd have one or two more.

That weren't just one-off joke rhymes for passersby to boo him for.

Here you go: Her sweet kiss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyZvWBFbIRw&list=RDuHoIQa_kXkA&index=3

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Finally getting a chance to watch this

I love the little things, like Geralt bartering with the random village dude in ep 2

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Probably my favourite incidental Geralt moment is in episode 4 or 5 I think, when he drinks some bad ale in a tavern, spits it out, and just gives the barman this look, like how dare you

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    People made fun of me for recommending this show as a watch over the holidays and then all demanded we finish the season over a few days. It was fun! I think the timelines were slightly overly fancy, but it was also fun to be like oh dang this is during the time when this other character was doing whatever.

Edit: One thing I'd like to see a bit more of (though I'm guessing I won't because it seems like it's trying to stick mostly to an overarching storyline) is Geralt investigating/prepping/being surprised by the actual monster. I'd like to see something like "ah shit I drank the potion that gives me night vision because I thought this thing hated sunlight but now I'm fighting it blind after it ran out of the cave" or whatever.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I am totally watching this when I get home

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Finally watched ep1. Was good. "Fuck" got a huge laugh from me. Does the rest of it hold up?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Finally watched ep1. Was good. "Fuck" got a huge laugh from me. Does the rest of it hold up?

Especially in terms of "fuck". Those get even better along the way.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Here is my main thought about the show currently

Everyone built up the Dandelion song so much that I assumed it would be underwhelming and 3 days later it’s still in my goddamn head

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Probably my favourite incidental Geralt moment is in episode 4 or 5 I think, when he drinks some bad ale in a tavern, spits it out, and just gives the barman this look, like how dare you
    See, I took that as the barman spit in it or something, and Geralt noticed.

sig.gif
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    So I know all the "Fuck"s get a bunch of recognition, for good reason, but I think my favorite line might be in the second episode.
    Jaskier is being his normal self and annoying the shit out of Geralt while he's trying to find the devil. Jaskier asks Geralt what they were looking for again and Geralt just responds "Blessed silence" in the most exasperated voice I've ever heard.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Spoiler warning: several dozen extremely short and out-of-context spoilers for Witcher Season 1 inclusive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iIA7MShQoA

Hmm.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Thinking of a scene that confused me

Episode 5:
    Geralt and Yennifer are in the bath together trading barbs.

It ends with Geralt telling Yennifer that he'll be on his way once he's paid for her services. She tells him that his company and conversation was payment enough.

For some reason this seems to really piss Geralt off and he storms out. I don't understand why what she said was upsetting.

Also I didn't like the acting in that scene very much. It kinda felt like Cavil was just waiting to deliver his lines instead of responding organically to a conversation.

RT800 on
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular

https://youtu.be/T0kyovrxhG8
    The stare is at about 1:45 and it's hilarious!

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

https://youtu.be/T0kyovrxhG8
    The stare is at about 1:45 and it's hilarious!

That whole scene is great. The Welsh dude is a ledge.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Toss a groin to your Witcher
    oh daddy have mercy

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Just a groin, like heres a pelvis you fuck

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I'll keep it with my scantily clad female dead island torso.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Personally, I'm intrigued by this so-called Valley of Penis.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Think I might try reading the books again soon. I read Last Wish forever ago, and I have Blood of Elves on my kindle but have never started it. I know there's another book between those two chronologically, does anyone know if it matters whether I just start with Blood of Elves or should I read the other one first?

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I have seen four episodes of this. I like the characterization and (most of) the performances a lot. Great production design, killer music, good shit all around.

I am absolutely baffled by their refusal to use chyrons indicating the different time periods. I am not sure what the disorientation is meant to convey, emotionally - it just comes off as obtuse and confusing. My wife isn't familiar with any of the source material, and keeps going, "Wait, when is this? Why are they telling the story this way?" The latter is a pretty valid question, I think!

We're sticking with the show and largely enjoying it, but it's such a weird decision.