Options

[The Witcher] Watching Season 2 is Your Destiny, Probably

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Think I might try reading the books again soon. I read Last Wish forever ago, and I have Blood of Elves on my kindle but have never started it. I know there's another book between those two chronologically, does anyone know if it matters whether I just start with Blood of Elves or should I read the other one first?

I definitely do recommend reading Sword of Destiny before Blood of Elves. (Not only because it makes sense chronologically, but also because a lot of people consider the short stories better than the novels).

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Think I might try reading the books again soon. I read Last Wish forever ago, and I have Blood of Elves on my kindle but have never started it. I know there's another book between those two chronologically, does anyone know if it matters whether I just start with Blood of Elves or should I read the other one first?

The other one is Sword of Destiny, which is more short stories
    You don't need to have read it to read Blood of Elves, which is the start of the 5-book main saga

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Well those replies didn't help at all!

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I have seen four episodes of this. I like the characterization and (most of) the performances a lot. Great production design, killer music, good shit all around.

I am absolutely baffled by their refusal to use chyrons indicating the different time periods. I am not sure what the disorientation is meant to convey, emotionally - it just comes off as obtuse and confusing. My wife isn't familiar with any of the source material, and keeps going, "Wait, when is this? Why are they telling the story this way?" The latter is a pretty valid question, I think!

We're sticking with the show and largely enjoying it, but it's such a weird decision.

They said they were inspired by Dunkirk, which makes it even more confusing because Dunkirk has titles telling you where everything takes place in relation to each other story

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    At least going into season 2 there hopefully won't be any more timeline nonsense

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Well those replies didn't help at all!

Well then, let me put it this way, if you have reasons NOT to read the whole of Sword of Destiny, I recommend at least reading the last story in it, as it serves as a kind of introduction to the novels and finale to the short stories.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

The book before is essentially what the show is doing with a few changes so you could probably skip it if you want.

Its good book though, I finished it recently and liked it a lot.

Oh theres another page oops, um, I'd say read Sword of Destiny

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I have seen four episodes of this. I like the characterization and (most of) the performances a lot. Great production design, killer music, good shit all around.

I am absolutely baffled by their refusal to use chyrons indicating the different time periods. I am not sure what the disorientation is meant to convey, emotionally - it just comes off as obtuse and confusing. My wife isn't familiar with any of the source material, and keeps going, "Wait, when is this? Why are they telling the story this way?" The latter is a pretty valid question, I think!

We're sticking with the show and largely enjoying it, but it's such a weird decision.

They said they were inspired by Dunkirk, which makes it even more confusing because Dunkirk has titles telling you where everything takes place in relation to each other story

I keep thinking about Watchmen, which also got a bit fuzzy about timelines in places. But that was a show in which "unstuck in time" is a thematic concern, as well as being reflective of several characters' lives and worldviews. There were character, plot, and thematic reasons for blurring the lines on what's "past" and what's "present."

Here, there... Isn't? They have a lot of plot/background to cover, and I actually think this structuring is very efficient and interesting - but the lack of chyrons undercuts all that cleverness by making things needlessly muddled.

It's so weird! It's so close to totally working for me, and it's such a seemingly-small thing, but it's a constant-enough irritation that it bristles me every time I have to question when something is happening.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Although I did like how Geralt's outfit changes throughout his episodes. He starts kinda worn down, when he meets jaskier, his armour is all beat up and mended, and later on, supposedly after many a tossed coin, it's all nice and shiny. He also incorporates renfri's brooch into his sword. Nice little details.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Although I did like how Geralt's outfit changes throughout his episodes. He starts kinda worn down, when he meets jaskier, his armour is all beat up and mended, and later on, supposedly after many a tossed coin, it's all nice and shiny. He also incorporates renfri's brooch into his sword. Nice little details.

That's rad, and I didn't notice any of that!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Having the chyron wouldn't help me, because the number is honestly kind of meaningless and so by the next scene I wouldn't remember it.

Although I have only had time to watch the first episode.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Having the chyron wouldn't help me, because the number is honestly kind of meaningless and so by the next scene I wouldn't remember it.

I was picturing something like, Ciri's storylines all have "Present Day." Geralt's stuff has, like, "Twenty years ago" (or whatever). Yennefer is "One hundred years ago," or however long ago her shit is, I'm actually not sure.

I don't need hard numbers, just a general outline of where we are in time.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

I was picturing something like, Ciri's storylines all have "Present Day." Geralt's stuff has, like, "Twenty years ago" (or whatever). Yennefer is "One hundred years ago," or however long ago her shit is, I'm actually not sure.

Oh, that makes more sense, yeah.

• Options
    question about a character who does not appear in this season but likely will later
    didn't they announce they'd cast someone as Leo Bonhart? or did I make that up

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    question about a character who does not appear in this season but likely will later
    didn't they announce they'd cast someone as Leo Bonhart? or did I make that up

I sure thought they had. Seemed weird for him to be around this early

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Thinking of a scene that confused me

Episode 5:
    Geralt and Yennifer are in the bath together trading barbs.

It ends with Geralt telling Yennifer that he'll be on his way once he's paid for her services. She tells him that his company and conversation was payment enough.

For some reason this seems to really piss Geralt off and he storms out. I don't understand why what she said was upsetting.

Also I didn't like the acting in that scene very much. It kinda felt like Cavil was just waiting to deliver his lines instead of responding organically to a conversation.
    Geralt has lived long enough to know sorceresses have a chip on their shoulder, I think he could tell she was fucking with him.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    The show has made making choices in Blood and Wine comically simple.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I think the timeline stuff was interesting in a few places where they were able to play around with thematic episodes, the one with Yen’s transformation intercut with the striga fight comes immediately to mind.

The real confusing bit for me was in one of the later episodes where apparently Geralt was present for the Fall of Cintra but had no actual impact on anything.

They also seem to be merging storylines

General Book Spoilers
    Ciri is much younger when she first enters the dryad forest, and that’s where she meets Geralt for the first time. I think he takes her back to one of the courts? It’s been a while since I read the books. Then later when she’s older she ends up with a gang of outlaws and gets a girlfriend (although I read this relationship as more abusive/predatory on the part of the other girl, rather than romantic)

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Would The Witcher the Show be better if Mousesack was played by Jason Mantzoukas

My gut says yes

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I think the timeline stuff was interesting in a few places where they were able to play around with thematic episodes, the one with Yen’s transformation intercut with the striga fight comes immediately to mind.

The real confusing bit for me was in one of the later episodes where apparently Geralt was present for the Fall of Cintra but had no actual impact on anything.

They also seem to be merging storylines

General Book Spoilers
    Ciri is much younger when she first enters the dryad forest, and that’s where she meets Geralt for the first time. I think he takes her back to one of the courts? It’s been a while since I read the books. Then later when she’s older she ends up with a gang of outlaws and gets a girlfriend (although I read this relationship as more abusive/predatory on the part of the other girl, rather than romantic)

yes, but...slightly story spoiler
    Geralt rescues Ciri in Brokolyn forest and brings her back to her Grandmother, Queen Calinthe. Stuff happens, the fall happens, she ends up roughly like the show had her, taken in by a farmers family. Where Geralt finds her. Then LATER after she's been trained as a Witcher and is several years older, ends up in the South, through a Portal in a fight that hasn't happened yet.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    I just can't get over that his name is fucking Mousesack

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Better than Dethmold

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I just can't get over that his name is fucking Mousesack

They don't really make it clear in the show, but he's not a normal mage like Yennefer and the other sorcerers you see in the show. He's a druid from Skellige. While it's kinda a dumb name for a normal person I can totally buy a druid going by some ridiculous nature related name like Mousesack.

H0b0man on
    FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    I just need to know if it means a sack full of mice or a mouse's genitals

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I don't know what to tell you. He has tiny balls. He's very sensitive about it and would prefer that you instead focus on how much dumber Nilfgard's armor looks than his name sounds. Cause man their armor is one of the few design choices I do not understand. Who greenlit that?

H0b0man on
  • Options
    It’s a sack full of mouse genitals

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    question about the last ep;
    whats the deal with cool infinite-swords-within-reason mage? is there a better takeaway from that last scene where he just seems to execute one of his fellow mages most juicily beyond me scribbling down “maybe bad(??)”

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Nilfgard armor looks dumb because Nilfgard sucks forever and theres no need to waste money trying to make them look cool

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    Just finished it. I loved the time switching. As you're watching you go "OH that's what's happening" and it's a really fun experience for me. Other people might prefer more hand holding but I loved it.

I'm so stoked how popular it has been because that means we're almost definitely getting another season. I NEED MOREEE!

• Options
    the Nilfgaard armor looked real bad in those set photos a while back but in motion I just didn't really notice or care much

• Options
    question about the last ep;
    whats the deal with cool infinite-swords-within-reason mage? is there a better takeaway from that last scene where he just seems to execute one of his fellow mages most juicily beyond me scribbling down “maybe bad(??)”

He likes swords a lot. Other than that I'd say wait for season 2. That character is important and any way I answer your question would most likely spoil stuff that happens later.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Crossposted:

Witcher S1 was really good, but there are two detour episodes in the middle of the season that are kinda really bad (dragon hunt, Yen taking over the town). It's like they had a 6 episode season written out but had to pad out 2 more hours and just put in some nonsense (with a couple plot points)

That dragon cgi. I haven't lol'd at a TV show monster in quite some time, but that was so ridiculously bad.

The acting was great, the writing ranged from cringey to really good, overall it's recommended.

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Every hack reviewer comparing this to Game of Thrones needs to fuck off forever. I genuinely do not understand the desperate need for comparison beyond them both being fantasy shows.

• Options
    the Nilfgaard armor looked real bad in those set photos a while back but in motion I just didn't really notice or care much

Yeah I really don't find it as bad as most people apparently do. It's not cool but I could totally imagine some nation choosing to wear armour like that. I mean real armies used to dress in some ridiculous fucking looks.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    qtaz2ic2jzfe.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I just don't get why they'd opt to go with some raisin ass looking wrinkle armor when they could've had kick ass black and gold trimmed armor with big dumb wings on their helmets that are dumb but also cool as hell at the same time.

It's not too big a deal, though.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

They give you those as the story progresses, but they're not explicit

• Options

They give you those as the story progresses, but they're not explicit

I've been watching the show, yes, I'm aware. I'm saying I would prefer they be explicit, since the ambiguity contributes nothing thematically and keeping everything straight makes watching the show needlessly laborious.

• Options
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I just don't get why they'd opt to go with some raisin ass looking wrinkle armor when they could've had kick ass black and gold trimmed armor with big dumb wings on their helmets that are dumb but also cool as hell at the same time.

Have you considered that Nilfgaardians suck

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »

probably would've been more expensive to make that armour for filming