As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Steam Holiday Sale on now!

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I Didn't Mind the Tank in Arkham City, AMA

I thought the tank stuff was super fun

But I get that its not what most people signed up for

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    It was fine but should've had the transform toggle as default and not locked behind a couple of encounters

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    What I want with new mechanics is when I look at the new mechanic and look at the already existing mechanics and think of how I can exploit them together in fun ways that may or may not be broken as heck like air dropping vehicles onto people in MGS5.

Instead it is usually "here is the hacking minigame that doesn't interact with the other mechanics even just by having the rest of the game still going on while you try to finish it."

Couscous on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So I'm reading for RDR2 that 1080p@60fps on ultra settings might not be possible with my 2070...that is interesting to hear

I've recently changed from playing at 4k on my oled as the input lag at 60hz is much worse than 1080p@120hz. I'm hoping these early impressions are just bugs. I'll prob wait till it's released on steam so maybe it's a bit better in a month after a patch or two.

Dixon on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    @Brolo I just checked Blacksad's Steam page and it looks like it's not out until November 14th

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I really hated what Arkham Asylum and Arkham City (never played other Arkham games) did with Riddler.
    It was such a complete misuse of character as to border on character assassination.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

YaYa wrote: »
    @Brolo I just checked Blacksad's Steam page and it looks like it's not out until November 14th

that makes me blackMAD :x

o8NvCz0.png

although I think EU territories got it yesterday?

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/blacksad-under-the-skin-accidental-release-date-europe-delay?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

they did not do a good job of communicating this

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    oh booooy, good launch, A+++, would try and fail to buy again

• Options
    YaYa wrote: »
    oh booooy, good launch, A+++, would try and fail to buy again

apparently the accidental EU xbox and PS4 versions are... kinda broken?

so maybe a ~month delay will fix some of that

• Options

hmm, looks like it came out okay? I was a little worried after hearing about some game breaking bugs when it was late in early access

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So Sony runs a game streaming service called PS Now that allows you to stream a bunch of PS2, 3, and 4 games to a PS4 or PC. I don't ever hear much talk about it, apparently it's pretty laggy and locked to 720p?

Anyway, the Japanese PS Now service is getting Persona 5 today, until February 20th (bigger PS4 games and exclusives rotate out on a 3 month schedule) https://www.jp.playstation.com/blog/detail/9116/20191105-psnow.html
    Reports are saying it's out in Europe too, dunno of it's on the American version.

This is the closest we'll ever get to Persona on PC so I am very very hopeful we get it too, I've wanted to play this for so long.

EDIT: Oh fuck, it IS on the US version, fuck yeah: https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/11/05/playstation-now-november-update-persona-5-middle-earth-shadow-of-war-hollow-knight/

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Edit: whoops meant to edit this into other post lol

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    PS Now is just okay. Stream quality ain't all that great and I had bouts of it lagging. This maybe around 1-2 years ago though. For all the fit we give Google about their streaming plans (and boy, there's a lot), their tech is at least ahead over everyone else.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I fucked with it a bit, and there was certainly some lag, but I imagine that matters less for a turn-based RPG

• Options
    Persona isn't really a super-fast-paced game, so it might be playable? I wonder what it would take for Atlus to put their games on PC, like if it's purely a reactionary fear to piracy, or if it's tied up in more complicated licensing and legality stuff?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I suspect it's more likely the Pirate Boogyman, I remember back when it launched on PS4 there was some big thing about not being able to stream it even though it'd been out in Japan for about 3 months or more already because of spoilers.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Also, making games is hard, and porting a game is probably harder, especially if your team has never done PC stuff before (i.e. Dark Souls, Nier Automata)

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Atlus is real hardheaded and retrograde in a lot of thing. There are a lot of resources available now if you really wanted to get your game on PC, from quality dev houses like QLOC, heck even their parent Sega has a lot of experience with this sort of thing. But it isn't there because they don't want it to, because Atlus reasons.

Just like, hey, maybe don't make weird homophobic stuff, and then double down on it on your updated re-release, but Atlus gonna Atlus.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Automata was made by Platinum, which had at least some PC porting knowhow already. Metal Gear Rising Revengeance's PC version was good.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    this came out about two weeks ago, and looks like a neat concept:

Sea Salt is an action strategy hybrid, in which you are an Old God summoning unfathomable horrors to blight the human lands. You will have your sacrifice, and humanity will pay for denying you what you are owed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GIrgHUVa-g

Summoning a tide of minions, your army will emerge from the sea to take vengeance on the religious figures who have dared to defy you, and anyone else that stands in your way.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/983350/Sea_Salt/

it's sitting at a 78% positive user review score, so maybe worth checking out?

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    The Batmobile segments in Arkham Knight would have been much more bearable if they just gave you most of the upgrades from the start. Arkham Knight is the fourth game in the franchise and by then you would be starting with a ton of abilities and probably a lot of experience mastering the combat and stealth segments, the real fun parts. The hard shift of going to a new set of mechanics where you're underpowered just feels that much worse by contrast.

Also Arkham Knight had a problem with the structure of the game as a whole. Arkham Asylum was basically a polygonal Batman themed Metroid. Arkham City was more akin to Like to the Past complete with open world and dungeons you go into to get items. The fuck were they supposed to do with Arkham Knight? It feels like third person action adventure games sort of stop there in terms of evolution. The only thing I can think of then is to add more cues from immersive sims but having a more open systemic and reactive world built on top of something the size of Gotham probably would have ballooned the budget.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    The Batmobile segments in Arkham Knight would have been much more bearable if they just gave you most of the upgrades from the start. Arkham Knight is the fourth game in the franchise and by then you would be starting with a ton of abilities and probably a lot of experience mastering the combat and stealth segments, the real fun parts. The hard shift of going to a new set of mechanics where you're underpowered just feels that much worse by contrast.

Also Arkham Knight had a problem with the structure of the game as a whole. Arkham Asylum was basically a polygonal Batman themed Metroid. Arkham City was more akin to Like to the Past complete with open world and dungeons you go into to get items. The fuck were they supposed to do with Arkham Knight? It feels like third person action adventure games sort of stop there in terms of evolution. The only thing I can think of then is to add more cues from immersive sims but having a more open systemic and reactive world built on top of something the size of Gotham probably would have ballooned the budget.

yeah I would have suggested "nemesis system" but then I played Shadow of Wardor and that... was not fun

it's just so hard to turn proc-gen single player stuff into something that isn't a grind

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Probably survival and crafting, which actually would be fitting for Batman.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Oooo Sea Salt look good I buy

• Options
    edited November 2019
    I just don't want the next Batman to be a loot game.

Ooh, this boss dropped an epic/purple level batarang! Only took me three runs of the Joker dungeon.

Couscous on
  • Options
    I am playing Shadow of War right now for some reason that is pretty much just it being included with MS Gamepass, and the nemesis system is just bad. None of the orcs have enough personality or any personality beyond one or two lines and the things like phobias don't really help me feel like an orc is meaningfully different from other orcs in that class.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

hmm, looks like it came out okay? I was a little worried after hearing about some game breaking bugs when it was late in early access

Even more fucked up that they decided to shaft IGN on a preview copy for 'not enough support during development', despite an in-depth preview in September.

Just... what?

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I disagree!

I think the systems at play all more or less work in Shadow of War, the problem is that you have to engage with like half a dozen different instances of it for each zone, and once you've conquered a zone, moving onto the next and doing the exact same thing feels less meaningful.

• Options
    I guess I did enjoy making the takeover of the second overlord castle absurdly one sided to the point of pretty much just needing to walk through the place and then let the overlord get murdered by the many, many orcs I made his body guard, but I immediately started just doing all of the next forts as soon as possible. It was pretty much entirely myself against a fully fortified place several times and it was kind of too easy.

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    After really enjoying Shadow of Mordor I was pretty disappointed to hear folks say that Shadow of War was more of the same in the worse way possible.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

The Batmobile was great in terms of transitioning into and out of it and driving about. If they'd just kept it at that and maybe some minor disable car options it'd have been fine but those fucking tank battles...

They could have probably made more use of the city if they had, had faith in their audience. Batman has the best rogues gallery available and they're wrapped up in 10 minute missions that are all signposted. Instead of Riddler races they could have had you solve actual riddles that progress over time and have setpieces you need to overcome that have innocents trapped in them. You could've investigated crime scenes to find Two Face. No following vapour trails and crap like that. Force you to actively hunt members of a respective rogues gang to interrogate them but their information just gives you hints in the right direction rather than a GPS.

It's a shame because much of the plot in Arkham Knight is great. I still love what they did with Asylum, having the world grow and change as you moved through it, particularly the party that's being set up throughout the ENTIRE game right in front of you.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    I am playing Shadow of War right now for some reason that is pretty much just it being included with MS Gamepass, and the nemesis system is just bad. None of the orcs have enough personality or any personality beyond one or two lines and the things like phobias don't really help me feel like an orc is meaningfully different from other orcs in that class.

yeah it feels like they kept it really broad rather than adding meaningful depth

like you'll run into the same dude an annoying amount of times

but aside from being slightly more irritating to kill, and sorta making a mention of "oh you killed me with fire last time, now I'm fire-proof", there's not much to set them apart

I'm not really sure what you'd need to do though to make a system like that actually pull off the illusion they're going for though

like the Wardor nemesis system used a ton of assets for reactive dialog and modified appearances and new combat effects and still felt flat

it would be hugely expensive to bolt on even more shit to that

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Monolith forgot to build on the system instead of just making the game bigger in the most boring way possible. Even just making a big map with a huge number of orc captain ranks and orc drama, including infighting between your own orcs so you can't just dominate and then forget, making a mess of things

At every point I wished it was not a Lord of the Rings game because trying to stick to the "canon" just sucked out the drama of the story and prevented it from going completely goofy.

Granted, the character's had almost no personality and I was incapable of caring about any of them except ratbag and that first captain you dominate. Both of those were in the game for five seconds and still managed to be more interesting than the protagonist. I liked that orc. Had a good attitude to murder.

Couscous on
  • Options
    I think half my problem with the Mordor games is that they would be much better if the protagonist and player character were themselves a goofy orc.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    I think half my problem with the Mordor games is that they would be much better if the protagonist and player character were themselves a goofy orc.

oh definitely

like man you get maybe 20% of the way through that game and it starts presenting you with "okay well you mentally enslaved this orc and now make him assassinate this other orc"

which is

well it's kinda fucked up, but also it would have been much more interesting if you actually got to do some of that orc challenge stuff yourself, instead of just... watching it happen on the nemesis screen

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Monolith (at WB's behest and direction, to be clear) deliberately fucked with how the Nemesis system and orc generation in general worked in order to push the in-game store and orc lootboxes. They've since patched stuff to make it less egregious (and even admitted that they had done that), but it's still missing the original's charm.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    So I really liked Indivisible

And then I got to the end and the gimmick of the fight is something I'm physically incapable of doing, so I guess I just can't beat this game?

This is such a weirdly specific issue, but this is like the third game I've played where the final area required a gimmick you don't do anywhere else that I physically can't get to work and for some reason it feels way worse than if I just couldn't play the game at all

Would you mind putting in spoilers what the gimmick is? I'm interested is what they'd do that would do this.
    you have to perfect block an extremely long sequence of attacks with very specific timing. Except for that part you are never required to perfect block anything.

Oh I hate this

Yeah I uh

I literally can't do it

But I also haven't seen like, anyone else talking about this as an issue so maybe other people had no problem with it?

I know @Ms Dapper finished it recently

I think maybe it might just be a me problem

I wonder if anyone else had this problem in Undertale. I liked the game and the writing, it was funny and the music was good, but I couldn't finish it because one fight became literally too difficult so I just stopped playing - I don't even know how far I got
    I don't even properly remember its name anymore, it was the game show robot thing?

• Options
    godmode wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    So I really liked Indivisible

And then I got to the end and the gimmick of the fight is something I'm physically incapable of doing, so I guess I just can't beat this game?

This is such a weirdly specific issue, but this is like the third game I've played where the final area required a gimmick you don't do anywhere else that I physically can't get to work and for some reason it feels way worse than if I just couldn't play the game at all

Would you mind putting in spoilers what the gimmick is? I'm interested is what they'd do that would do this.
    you have to perfect block an extremely long sequence of attacks with very specific timing. Except for that part you are never required to perfect block anything.

Oh I hate this

Yeah I uh

I literally can't do it

But I also haven't seen like, anyone else talking about this as an issue so maybe other people had no problem with it?

I know @Ms Dapper finished it recently

I think maybe it might just be a me problem

I wonder if anyone else had this problem in Undertale. I liked the game and the writing, it was funny and the music was good, but I couldn't finish it because one fight became literally too difficult so I just stopped playing - I don't even know how far I got
    I don't even properly remember its name anymore, it was the game show robot thing?

mettaton

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I disagree!

I think the systems at play all more or less work in Shadow of War, the problem is that you have to engage with like half a dozen different instances of it for each zone, and once you've conquered a zone, moving onto the next and doing the exact same thing feels less meaningful.

Shadow of War is like the poster child of taking a good thing and IMMEDIATELY running it into the ground.

• Options
This discussion has been closed.