As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] Noooooooooooooooo! :(

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    I miss Dan and Mike, definitely will watch that since there is no GB GOTY to watch over the holidays.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    From what I saw on Reddit, Mary is great at Jedi mind tricking everybody into putting her picks on the list.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    wait is GB not releasing a GOTY podcast or lists this year?

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    wait is GB not releasing a GOTY podcast or lists this year?

They are doing it after their break this year, so some time in January it should be out.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    lame

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Gives me more time to actually play games that came out this year.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    And them too. I always felt like doing it end of November/beginning December was really pushing it. Especially last year seemed really tough for them, for whatever reason. So I’m glad they’re giving themselves a little extra time.

Will have plenty of time to listen. It’s not as if I’m going anywhere.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I've always thought it was kinda crazy that they did their stuff in December, especially considering just how many games tend to come out around November.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I've always thought it was kinda crazy that they did their stuff in December, especially considering just how many games tend to come out around November.

I think part of it was to give gamers something to do and enjoy over the holidays, knowing that their audience was probably more on the fringe or alone.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

I think part of it was to give gamers something to do and enjoy over the holidays, knowing that their audience was probably more on the fringe or alone.

Oh, that could be it. I certainly did enjoy watching them during the holidays.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    While it makes things easier for them, last year's format was also unfathomably boring

I couldn't manage to make it through the whole thing

• Options
    It was less about gamers and more that they wanted to take the holiday off and didn't want there to be nothing. Remember, nothing stops the Bombcast.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    It was less about gamers and more that they wanted to take the holiday off and didn't want there to be nothing. Remember, nothing stops the Bombcast.

"We want a big drop of stuff the week everyone has off" has been a repeated statement about why they do GotY when they do it for years now.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I miss Dan and Mike, definitely will watch that since there is no GB GOTY to watch over the holidays.

There are a couple of times in that GOTY discussion where Mike goes nuclear level bitchy-douche for a couple of his arguments. "This evokes Proust level emotions but none of you will get that" kind of stuff that is really just silly as an argument.

Still, an awesome group for a 7 hour long stream that I found really interesting the whole way through. I do lament that "new Dan" appears to be a thing of the past however and Dan is now content to rest on arguments like "that was stupid", etc.

• Options

There are a couple of times in that GOTY discussion where Mike goes nuclear level bitchy-douche for a couple of his arguments. "This evokes Proust level emotions but none of you will get that" kind of stuff that is really just silly as an argument.

Still, an awesome group for a 7 hour long stream that I found really interesting the whole way through. I do lament that "new Dan" appears to be a thing of the past however and Dan is now content to rest on arguments like "that was stupid", etc.

It's worth it for an argument that makes Mike incredibly angry, which 30 minutes later Dan completely forgets they even had.

New Dan was always more about his willingness to try new things. His reactions to why he then likes or dislikes them never changed though. It's a coin toss whether he'll say some compelling insightful stuff or say a surface level dismissal.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Giant Bomb's latest premium feature, Going Rogue, has been a lot more fun to watch than I expected. It features Ben trying to beat the original Rogue (the version that just came out on Steam) with Vinny as moral support/royalty-free music DJ.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    Giant Bomb's latest premium feature, Going Rogue, has been a lot more fun to watch than I expected. It features Ben trying to beat the original Rogue (the version that just came out on Steam) with Vinny as moral support/royalty-free music DJ.

Vinny is the best of moral supporters.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    What is Mike Mahardy’s gaming madeleine?

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    Going Rogue was doing a weird thing for me where the videos were ending before the run time of the video. It was super confusing as they're short videos anyway so I thought it was a weird goof they were doing. It fixed when I moved the player to the progressive version instead of html5.

• Options
    Going Rogue was doing a weird thing for me where the videos were ending before the run time of the video. It was super confusing as they're short videos anyway so I thought it was a weird goof they were doing. It fixed when I moved the player to the progressive version instead of html5.

That was definitely happening to a few people out there. I saw comments about it on the videos and in tweets.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Going Rogue is so good. I just have to remmeber to have my volume turned down when i start it because the opening theme is like 100x louder than the rest of it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dan is correct though he would hate Kentucky Route Zero even if Mike had explained it well enough to get him to try.

• Options
    Vinny enhances every feature he is on

steam_sig.png

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I was hoping Going Rogue would be an every weekday thing, like an Endurance Run almost, but sadly looks like it’s not in the docket at all this week, according to the website so far.

• Options
    never die wrote: »
    I was hoping Going Rogue would be an every weekday thing, like an Endurance Run almost, but sadly looks like it’s not in the docket at all this week, according to the website so far.

They actually addressed that on twitter. I guess we can expect them with proper regularity starting Wednesday.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I'd also be down for a continuation of the KotOR playdates though I'm skeptical this will hold Alex/Vinny's attention for as long

• Options
    Even the viewers seem to be having issues with how small the text is/how hard it is to just watch it on a second monitor as you do other things.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

This is happening to me- what do you mean by progressive version vs html5?

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    There's a settings gear on the player that lets you pick which version you want to use

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Even the viewers seem to be having issues with how small the text is/how hard it is to just watch it on a second monitor as you do other things.

Yeah the huge amount of subtitled alien dialogue has sadly made it kind of a no go for me. I love the games but I tend towards 2nd monitor watch/listening while playing a game.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    🚨LIVE GOTY THIS YEAR🚨

• Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    Quality of live GOTY depends on how well they can ignore chat.

• Options
    Jakorian wrote: »
    Quality of live GOTY depends on how well they can ignore chat.

Anything more than "completely ignore" will make it unlistenable.

• Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Subscriber exclusive? Could get some more subs in to convince their new overlords to keep on ALL the lights.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I had forgotten about that worst of the 80s list so I took a look at the Spotify playlist and there are certainly some bad songs on there but a lot of them just seem like "this got a lot of radio play and cultural saturation, so therefore it is bad."

I'd be a lot more interested in what Jeff et al think are the best songs of the 80s/90s than the worst.

I think cultural saturation can have a place. Unless you're doing to two seperate lists it can totally play a part.

The winner is probably something by Everclear though.

Fake edit: Wait, 1990 itself counts right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKZCsoG6QDU

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    1990 definitely counts because Cherry Pie was one of their first 5 songs and that's (shockingly) a 1990 jam.

I finally got a chance to listen through their full 90s song debate, and while I definitely have my quibbles with a lot of their placements, their #1 is absolutely, undeniably right and assuming they ever come back and add to the list, I will be SHOCKED if anything unseats it.

• Options
    I disliked the fake gun shit on the Bombcast this week. I just find the fetishization of firearms to be such a weird fucking thing.

I know this is me being ridiculous considering how many guns are in video games but here we are.

• Options
    I mean I get it, but I don't think anything about how it was presented was fetishization, unless you took Jeff's story about wanting to run around a park and dive sideways with two fake guns as "cool"

steam_sig.png

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I'm sure there's a large contingent of people who do buy those for that reason, but I think for them or was more just about the novelty of them compared to what's in the US, and causing small welts on their friends.

I'll speak for myself and say I can admire things like a B52 or a M1 Garand for their craftsmanship and not be a gun/military nut.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Oh yeah, this is totally just a me problem.
    I just get weird hackles any time I see a gun like that in the hands of a civilian. That coupled with the conversation that he could totally get killed by the cops for being in public with that thing is just a whole uncomfortable thing for me.

Again though, I know this is just a kinda weird me problem.

This discussion has been closed.