Ghostbusters: LA declares June 7th "Ghostbusters Day"

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 25
    I think the idea is that there were no eye witnessess for them saving the world. I think Peck is beyond 'Ghostbusting ain't real' and is more into 'y'all are still dangerous and/or I still have a grudge'

From the people's point of view, weird shit happened, a giant marshmallow man appears and the Ghostbusters blew up the roof of a skyrise. They say they did it to save the world (really the city, Gozer wasn't a world ender), but given they got sued out of business because of it, apparently nobody believed them.

Then they somehow animate the statue of liberty and have it attack a giant slime mold, and then once again were stopped a world conquering threat with no witnesses (Janosz was unconscious by that point and Dana Barrett isn't exactly a impartial third party.)

From Peck's point of view, whether or not ghosts are real is immaterial to the ghostbusters being massively more dangerous than they're worth keeping around.

Also I just realized how suspicious it was that a giant marshmallow man attacks the city and then five years later the Ghostbusters demonstrate the apparent ability animate stuff at that scale.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Counter point. People now are saying Covid didn’t happen. Humanity’s ability to just refuse to believe stuff happened even with actual physical proof is astonishing.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

edited March 26
    Egon just looking like he wants to die after the balloon and cup bit is great.

You can see him start saying Venkman's lines under his breath!

There's something special about good actors intentionally acting badly.

Undead Scottsman on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Counter point. People now are saying Covid didn’t happen. Humanity’s ability to just refuse to believe stuff happened even with actual physical proof is astonishing.

Insert a lengthy sigh here, but you're absolutely right.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited March 26
    The only person we see in the movie denying the events is Peck himself and in that scene he is surrounded by his employees who are not going to risk their jobs by contradicting him. He says there were no eyewitnesses but the movie provides no evidence that anyone believes him.

The press are talking about the events, the public are well aware of what happened and what the busters did. It's why Venkman is so smug with Peck at the end, he knows that Peck can get as angry as he wants but the public has their back and there is nothing Peck can do.

Mc zany on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I think Peck's point of view is that none of this stuff was happening until the Ghostbusters "conveniently" showed up to deal with the problem. Somehow they must be the cause, not the solution, and he wants them and their fringe science gone.

edited March 26
    Spirits Unleashed 1.8.0 is out.
    Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed Ecto Edition

Patch 1.8.0 is live!

New Overlord Variant: Garraka

From Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire, Garraka joins the ranks of the Overlords to bring upon the death chill in Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed. To unlock Garraka, you’ll have to defeat him in an icy bounty in Galway Station!

“Spine-chilling” is a blistering understatement when describing the cold malevolence that exudes from Garraka, a formidable icy overlord. One look into his cold, soulless eyes will make you wish you never crossed paths, and that’s not even taking into account the baleful ice he can summon with his tremendous psychokinetic energy. Not even the nuclear space heaters strapped to the Ghostbusters’ backs can keep them warm for long.

Now Replayable: Samhain Boss Fight

You asked for it! Replay and relive your fight against eternal night. Players who have defeated Samhain will now have the option to challenge the Ghost of Halloween as many times as they’d like.

New Gear Shells: Modern Age Gear Shells
    -Modern Age Proton Pack
    -Modern Age Particle Thrower

Ghostbusters tech is tried and true, but some fresh parts and a new coat of paint never hurts! These gear shells are unlockable via research contracts.

New Cosmetics

Suit Tints
    Frozen Outfit
    Lightning

Shirt Logos
    Robotics
    Manhattan Adventures Society
    GB Engineering
    Garraka
    Frozen Neon
    Melody Diner
    Repossessed

Changes and Fixes
    -Fixed an issue where Watcher Ghost Types were not available in Ghost Bounties
    -Fixed an issue where Rifts could become untargetable after being placed in certain objects
    -Fixed an issue where Overlords could place Catalysts on top of the whale in Whitestone Museum
    -Fixed an issue where Overlord Types were able to place Rift Catalysts outside of bounds on certain maps
    -Fixed an issue where turning off the setting “Software Cursor Rendering” would cause the reticle to disappear during the Possessor’s Terrorizing Possession minigame.
    -Fixed an issue where on the Nintendo Switch, Gear and Ghost levels would display as Level 1 after re-entering the game while playing fully offline
    -Fixed an issue where Gravebringer’s Ossifying Lance roots VFX could float in the air if fired at a Suspended Buster
    -Fixed an issue where Busters couldn’t move if they were clearing slime while Suspended and then struck by Gravebringer’s Ossifying Lance
    -Fixed an issue where Busters could not free themselves if hit by Gravebringer’s Ossifying Lance while using certain emotes
    -Fixed an issue where Gravebring could lock themselves out of their abilities if they used Ossifying Lance and Sabotaged a Buster’s pack at the same time
    -Fixed an issue where Infernal could not use abilities after creating a Darkness Orb and sabotaging a Buster’s Proton Pack at the same time
    -Fixed an issue where while a Buster revived their teammate, if that teammate disconnected, the Buster could lose control of their camera
    -Fixed an issue where after watching a cinematic, the sky outside of the Firehouse would not appear correctly
    -Fixed an issue where certain VFX would appear extremely bright after a player joins a match in-progress
    -Fixed an issue where Wraith could Haunt objects that contained Rifts in them
    -Fixed an issue where Poltergeists could channel their ultimate ability, Overcharge, while possessing an object
    -Fixed an issue where the Master Collector trophy was not syncing between PS4 and PS5 accounts
    -Fixed an issue where after equipping certain headwear or full outfits, Busters could not select Top, Bottom, and Eyewear in the customization menu

EDIT: No new tenure rank, I noticed, which actually is a boone for me as it means I won't have to redo the excessive amount of time I spent doing every challenge after I hit the finale tenure.

Undead Scottsman on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    I think Peck's point of view is that none of this stuff was happening until the Ghostbusters "conveniently" showed up to deal with the problem. Somehow they must be the cause, not the solution, and he wants them and their fringe science gone.

Can't speak for the movies, but I loved what they did with Peck in the comics.

Side note: Imagine my surprise to learn years and years later that he was in The Real Ghostbusters cartoon, too! I probably saw him at the time, but didn't realize who he was, because that was like years apart.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited March 27
    Well I finally got around to seeing this and didn't hate it. I don't even know who I am anymore. I used to hate with the best of 'em...

Pretty much any criticism regarding wasted and overstuffed characters with too many plots happening bounced completely off me. I guess if you are a Fan™ (I refuse to use Ghosthead. Whoever came up with that moniker deserves death) and were waiting with baited breath expecting the Old's to show up and say words, sure I suppose anyone else being on screen at any moment takes away from that, but for the most part the movie moved at a fine clip and everyone got something to do, and while the ending is maaaybe a bit rushed (again, if your expectations were set by the trailers and you were waiting for the Frozen Empire of it all to show up earlier) it wasn't any more rushed than say Gozer showing up suddenly in the first film (the first first film) and getting defeated in like 15 minutes with a cut to credits. I know people are grousing as well about the jackets, new proton packs and gadgets not getting enough screen time, but that's good! Movies shouldn't be about those things! They never were! We don't need the 360 degree hero shots of the tech to sell toys, it's a waste of dang ol' time. Into the bin with 'em!

Callbacks were thankfully kept to a minimum this time around, but when they did show up they were usually pretty lame and stood out like a sore thumb. Remember the library ghost gag? Here it is again but worse!

I'm actually surprised Jason Reitman was able to be reigned in on this front. Gil Kenan may be workman behind the camera but he didn't do anything as egregious as Reitman in that first reboot, aside from one too many Mini Puff scenes, which I understand are necessary evil in a post-Minion/Baby Yoda world. Though does anyone actually enjoy them? I think it's objectively safe to say they are terrible and if you do enjoy their presence it's because you've been gas-lit through years of Ghostbuster drought to enjoy whatever awful merchandise bait you can get, regardless of quality. Children have the excuse of being dumb and having bad taste. Look deep within yourself and know this to be true. Also into the bin with 'em. There. Feel better? Good.

Anyway, movie was fine, probably leagues ahead of Afterlife, which did have its moments but couldn't help shooting itself in the foot with the nostalgia rifle any chance it got. The actors where great and I'm glad they didn't try to sand off the dirt-bag parent edges of Carrie Coon and Paul Rudd's characters. I think expecting the absolute worst of this movie helped it a lot because so much of the criticism seemed like hyperbole when watching, but that probably all boils down to expectations and the endless nit-picking that these legacy franchises seem to generate. So the key is just to hate the things you love and maybe now and then they will turn around and surprise you? I don't know. That seems healthy I'm sure.

Cristoval on
    The fun part about the mini-puffs is how utterly self-destructive they are. Just constantly mutilating themselves and each other in increasingly more horrible ways.

It's probably the best part of stuff like the Minions and it's amped up to hilariously horrifying acts of marshmallow carnage.

I refuse to accept this answer.

I'm blown back.

Seek me out and you will find a grave man etc.

I will agree that if they had used them any more in the film, it would have been overkill.
    The post credits sequence actually might have already crossed that line. Previous to that they all had a purpose

-First scene with Podcast and Phoebe: Establishes that the minipuffs hitched a ride to New York, as well as helping to establish that the orb is serious bizness that it's able to frighten them all into hiding.
    -next scene is in the ghost observatory, which is there to demonstrate the orbs ghost controlling powers.
    -Next after that is to establish that they're in the ecto 1, which comes into play later when they again mess with Podcast while he's trying to do something to save the day.

Like I said, the post-credit scene might be overkill.

I refuse to compare mini-pufts to Minions when the Raving Rabbids did it first. I love the Pufts just having zero sense of self-preservation. They are the destructor form distilled down to one brain cell apiece.

Stay-Puft was always my favorite creature, though. Some prefer Slimer but I love a happy, sliming, harmless-looking goofball blowing fire hydrants up and crushing cars while roaring like a kaiju. I have more Stay-Puft merch than any other character in the films put together. The mini-pufts accidentally walked right into the joy center in my brain.

I would not mind them having a little more purpose next time though. I feel like they shouldn't be able to exist in a room for long without destroying it.

edited March 27
    Rabbids are definitely a better association, given the Minions have a casual disregard for each others well being, while the Rabbid's revel in it like the Mini-Puft's do.

But like, nobody remembers the Rabbid's at this point. The minions ate their lunch and crapped in their pool.

Undead Scottsman on
    Crossin my arms and grumbling furiously

Rabbids are definitely a better association, given the Minions have a casual disregard for each others well being, while the Rabbid's revel in it like the Mini-Puft's do.

But like, nobody remembers the Rabbid's at this point. The minions ate their lunch and crapped in their pool.

Those Mario and Rabbids games are pretty good!

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    So, with Frozen Empire out now, I finally got around to seeing Afterlife today.

I liked it!

Probably my second-favorite Ghostbusters movie.

Mind, I haven't seen Answer the Call, and I'm not counting the video game as a movie, just to keep things simple.

I'll let you figure out the rest of the ranking for yourself.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    Blu ray steelbooks are available for preorder. I got the arty cover with ecto 1 in the goreground.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 1
    So, with Frozen Empire out now, I finally got around to seeing Afterlife today.

I liked it!

Probably my second-favorite Ghostbusters movie.

Mind, I haven't seen Answer the Call, and I'm not counting the video game as a movie, just to keep things simple.

I'll let you figure out the rest of the ranking for yourself.

Good news. If you liked Afterlife then you'll very likely like Frozen Empire.

Also looks like Spirit Halloween will be doing an Engineering jumpsuit and a red parka this year, for those who want a REALLY cheap red parka.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

edited April 3
    On the opposite end of the spectrum, there's a website selling aftermarket Haslab packs for $1300.

I think I'd rather just build my own at that point

Undead Scottsman on
    On the opposite end of the spectrum, there's a website selling aftermarket Haslab packs for $1300.

I think I'd rather just build my own at point

Yeah, if you're going to spend that kind of scratch on a proton pack, just start buying the parts to put one together. I'm sure someone would happily 3D-print one and mount it to an ALICE frame for that price tag.

Crossposted from the YouTube thread:
    emnmnme wrote: »

Oh, I'm in the ending credits crawl of this one!
    The Italians are really good at fan films!

They did another short film and released the English subs yesterday!
    https://youtu.be/BLIHLjH5cPI?si=-kXcYZkcvWm538_l

So LA is making June 7th officially Ghostbusters day, which is odd becaues the movie came out June 8th, but whatever.

https://ghostbustersnews.com/2024/05/31/ghostbusters-day-to-be-declared-by-the-city-of-los-angeles/
    It’s been announced that next Friday, June 7th, the Los Angeles City Council will officially declare Ghostbusters Day in LA, with the celebration kicking off at 10 a.m. PST at City Hall.

This news first made the rounds being reported on this week’s episode of Extraplasm Podcast, followed by further confirmation from fan franchise group the Los Angeles Ghostbusters, who shared the teaser below, proclaiming their involvement, alongside “special guests” and “a fleet of Ectomobiles.”

Jason Reitman will give a speech at the proclamation ceremony.

Also sounds like Hasbro might be announcing something for June 8th as well.

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    I find it a bit weirder it’s LA and not NYC given… well, I mean, like, Ghostbusters

waNkm4k.jpg?1
    Looks amazing but wasn't the guide a lot thinner in the movie?

edited June 11
    Mc zany wrote: »
    Looks amazing but wasn't the guide a lot thinner in the movie?

Not really. You never see Tobin's Sprit Guide in the movies until you get to Ghostbusters Afterlife, and the Magnoli replica seems to be based on the prop pretty closely.

cVwuoEp.jpeg

jeDaIoJ.jpeg

I'm a bit skeptical about that Magnoli guide seeing as how they claim it's 500 pages of real text and yet there's no author credited.
    My worry is it'll be a bunch of generative AI garbage or filler text lifted from other sources without credit. Magnoli is known for taking shortcuts to increase profits. They started as a replica clothing company out of New Zealand but now they mainly contract labor out of India which has made the quality noticeably inconsistent.

I will wait to hear more info. It would otherwise be very much my bag.

edit:
    I've gotten a closer look at the contents and I'm rescinding my harsh, preemptive judgement. This actually seems like a pretty put-together item.
    Also Magnoli's is from new Zealand, not Australia. Aussies and Kiwis feel free to stab me with knives or other sharp implements for getting your two great nations mixed up.

TankHammer on
    Lanz wrote: »
    I find it a bit weirder it’s LA and not NYC given… well, I mean, like, Ghostbusters

Sony Pictures is in LA and that's really what this event was about.

The fan-focused Ghostbusters Day does take place in New York City at Tribeca's Hook & Ladder 8. I was there Saturday for the 40th anniversary. I'll try to get a post together with highlights but it was a crazy time. I had a blast. I rode in an Ecto-1 around the city, met so many people, got to meet the Alessi Brothers and see them play "Savin' the Day" live in the street, it was amazing. I'm still processing.

Here's me checking out the HasLab PKE meter prototype:
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7_4QnYinpD/

This is Ecto-1NYC pulling up outside of 55 Central Park West, a.k.a. "Spook Central".
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7_7CGcMhEs/

Also other photos I managed to organize:

More on my personal Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/tankhammer/

I have video editing to do and some more curating of my photos when I get home from work. Hope you enjoy.

Shit, I didn't even think that it could be AI written (and certainly didn't think it'd be directly stolen.)

Wonder if I can cancel my preorder.

I just sent them an e-mail asking for clarification.

Hasbro has hinted very heavily at another Ghostbusters Haslab and based on the very not subtle clues, I'm guessing a 1/12 scale Ecto.

edited June 10
    That'd be a weird move given they appear to have abandoned the 1/12 scale action figure line and are re-releasing the 1/18th plasma series ecto-1 to go along with their new 3.75" figures.

Also kinda bummed. I really wanted that one-shot neutrona wand from Frozen Empire, but I'm guessing that one won't sell as well given how not great that movie did.

That said, if this comes with a flipping 1:12 Slimer as a stretch goal, I'm in.

Curious if they'll do extras that let you do the 1A, Afterlife or Frozen Empire modifications. Maybe as stretch goals?

Undead Scottsman on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    ...Was that The Mask?

Yup. Ideally there's going to be tons of little references and jokes for not just ghostbusters, given it's 500 fuckin' pages.

I'm still very worried about it being AI garbage or plaguarized. Or plagiarized AI garbage.

edited June 10
    That'd be a weird move given they appear to have abandoned the 1/12 scale action figure line and are re-releasing the 1/18th plasma series ecto-1 to go along with their new 3.75" figures.

Also kinda bummed. I really wanted that one-shot neutrona wand from Frozen Empire, but I'm guessing that one won't sell as well given how not great that movie did.

That said, if this comes with a flipping 1:12 Slimer as a stretch goal, I'm in.

Curious if they'll do extras that let you do the 1A, Afterlife or Frozen Empire modifications. Maybe as stretch goals?

Agreed but they use a wheel on the graphic. Maybe a working R/C car ghost trap? Nothing else with wheels

No wait. Totally some form of Ecto. The tire is a white wall and it has the Cadillac rear light on it.

Librarian's ghost on

RC Ghost Trap would actually be pretty cool and I'd totally be down for getting in o that one.

'course that means we'd need a ghost trap drone in 2025. It's a dangerous slippery slope!

...have they ever announced a Haslab this early, now that I think about it?

RC Ghost Trap would actually be pretty cool and I'd totally be down for getting in o that one.

'course that means we'd need a ghost trap drone in 2025. It's a dangerous slippery slope!

...have they ever announced a Haslab this early, now that I think about it?

No. Considering they currently have a fresh Star Wars one running and have announced a Gi Joe one starting during SDCC. That is way more than they’ve done before.

edited June 10
    Looking at the reveal again, the logo definitely has the red fin with silver inset that holds the red lights, from the back of the Ecto-1, so it's probably not the RC trap, sadly.

Undead Scottsman on
    Today I started to modify the Haslab pack because my nephew, who will be going into the 7th grade, is super into Ghostbusters. He helped me open up the pack for the first time, install a rechargeable talentcell battery, and a keep alive circuit to keep the pack from turning off after three minutes. We agreed to keep the vibration motor off due to people saying that it seems to fry the mother board if left on for prolonged periods due to the keep alive, and he doesn't like the vibration anyway.

Both mods went in incredibly easily and I just removed a panel inside the storage compartment to make room for the battery so it can be taken out and recharged easily. Also began swapping out the ribbon cable with a clean GB2 cable that I already had but we paused before I attempted to pry open the bracket that attaches it to the cyclotron. We also plan to add some more light diffusion to the cyclotron lenses so they are less LED like but I need to research the best method of cracking the inside panel off to get to the LEDs.

Otherwise he messed with it to customize it as his own.

Oh and we just fully removed the cable that has that frayed yellow mesh cover. We both think it looks stupid and he researched images of the pre-upgrade, non-Egon packs in Afterlife and none of them even have that cable.

I initially inserted the switch for the keep alive circuit inside that dummy switch Hasbro helpfully included but something about it was not letting the real switch flip completely, so I just removed the fake switch and installed the real switch in the spot.

My nephew is going for his own pack and not a specific movie version so he is happy to have it look how he wants it.

Now he just needs a growth spurt and gain some weight so he can wear the thing comfortably.

The keepalive thing didn't work in the dummy switch spot until I noticed the real switch in the online tutorials didn't have a red rubber covering on the metal switch. Once I removed that it worked like a charm.

Did you have to permanently alter (i.e. remove) some tabs to get the talent cell in there? I'm at the point any additional upgrade to my pack is going to require permanent alteration and it's given me a lot of pause. I might still do the talent cell mod, since I think most people would consider that a bonus even if the pack is no longer "stock" but I feel like anything else is just getting into the territory of "I should probably just build my own damn pack." and that way it'd not only do all of the things I want (instead of the wonky keepalive workarounds) but also I wouldn't have to worry about destroying a collectible.

Really wish the Haslab pack had been a mass release. I really feel like the Ghostbuster props could have some super long legs if Hasbro had made them mass release.

edited June 10
    So there are the wires that go to the blue power cell lights. It was really tight and getting in the say of the battery but I noticed the wire was actually longer, but wrapped around a plastic ring to take up the slack. I removed the ring and that allowed me to move that cable out of the way for the battery. I also removed one of the plastic studs for that panel I unscrewed. That was the only permanent mods made so far. Everything else could be put back if needed for some reason.

I really wish the D-Cell battery compartment was a separate piece that could be removed and not molded to the mother board. It takes up so much room.

Librarian's ghost on