As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rick & Morty] Justin Roiland Versus Season Seven (Oct. 15th 2023)

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    Y'all are crazy. Both Interdimensional cable eps were gold.

You bet your bottom dollar they are.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Yeah Jerry isn't depressed or written to be depressed, he's just a failure without any potential. He's content just having a job he doesn't know how to do.

He was pretty depressed in the Whirly-Dirly episode IMO. Depressed enough that he didn’t even protest when he thought Rick was going to execute him in the beginning of the episode.

Being down in the dumps because your life is unraveling isn't clinical depression either.

Jerry buys into the scammers simulation because it appeals to his vanity.

Jerry lies to his alien girlfriend because he doesn't want her to be mad at him.

Jerry develops an app because he thinks he's smarter then warning labels.

Jerry nearly blows saving Beth at the marriage retreat because the minute things start looking up he can't help but congratulate himself.

He's right behind Rick on the self inflicted/karmic misery ladder.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    ReaperSMSReaperSMS Registered User regular
    Like archer and venture bros, they are all terrible people. Some are just slightly less terrible than others.

Also, still expecting Jerry to be Cyril in disguise, like the bobs burgers season opener.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Y'all are crazy. Both Interdimensional cable eps were gold.

You bet your bottom dollar they are.

Oh that one was really quick

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Yeah Jerry isn't depressed or written to be depressed, he's just a failure without any potential. He's content just having a job he doesn't know how to do.

He was pretty depressed in the Whirly-Dirly episode IMO. Depressed enough that he didn’t even protest when he thought Rick was going to execute him in the beginning of the episode.

Being down in the dumps because your life is unraveling isn't clinical depression either.

Jerry lies to his alien girlfriend because he doesn't want her to be mad at him.

Jerry nearly blows saving Beth at the marriage retreat because the minute things start looking up he can't help but congratulate himself.

In fairness, that one seemed like Jerry was actually trying to inspire Beth's faith in him so she would produce an ever-increasing army of hero Jerrys, and it just sort've backfired because he laid it on a bit too thick.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    Mortys mind benders had True Level, easily the best 'skit'.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    A lot of people take True Level for granite.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    A lot of people take True Level for granite.

Its right up there with the room temperature room

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

I can totally buy that Jerry has vanity as a failing, but that's not quite the way it reads in the show.

In nearly all these situations, Jerry gets happy because he thinks he finally has a win. Yes, he screws up horribly in most of these situations, but this is a man desperately in need of a win. Everything he tries blows up in his face. He's constantly criticized by the characters (and, in season three, the universe) as being a loser. He can't get a job. He can't stand up to Rick without destroying his marriage. He was blissfully happy when the aliens gave him a job because he felt he finally had a purpose and was no longer a loser. (Even though, yes, he had no idea what he was doing, and it was making his family miserable.)

If Jerry wasn't portrayed as quite so much of a loser, it would be easier to see his actions as self-destructive. As it stands now, his actions seem like the desperate acts of someone who wants to finally be successful and useful.

I don't know, maybe I'm seeing myself in Jerry -- I've been laid off multiple times, and each time it lead to lengthy, soul-sucking attempts to find another job (protip: don't become a writer unless you live in New York City or something). Each time, I've felt like a useless failure, and I was increasingly desperate to be able to do something, anything to be useful. At those times, I would have been sorely tempted to do things like Jerry did in order to try to have some sense of healthy pride and accomplishment instead of sitting around and crying all day. I've felt the wind calling me a loser.

Again, I know the show's intent around Jerry, I just don't think it effectively portrays it.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Every episode people on the forum think is the worst this season is also one I've heard people say they loved. The heist episode, the toilet episode, the dragon episode...

Personally, Interdimensional Cable 2 is the only one I really wouldn't care to watch. Even if it's got Werner Herzog monologing about human penis obsessions. It always felt like a rehash of 2 with the same bland improv. But I know people who also love that episode for some reason.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I completely forgot Jerry was basically shot to death after trying to stick his dick in an alien having open heart surgery.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I can totally buy that Jerry has vanity as a failing, but that's not quite the way it reads in the show.

In nearly all these situations, Jerry gets happy because he thinks he finally has a win. Yes, he screws up horribly in most of these situations, but this is a man desperately in need of a win. Everything he tries blows up in his face. He's constantly criticized by the characters (and, in season three, the universe) as being a loser. He can't get a job. He can't stand up to Rick without destroying his marriage. He was blissfully happy when the aliens gave him a job because he felt he finally had a purpose and was no longer a loser. (Even though, yes, he had no idea what he was doing, and it was making his family miserable.)

If Jerry wasn't portrayed as quite so much of a loser, it would be easier to see his actions as self-destructive. As it stands now, his actions seem like the desperate acts of someone who wants to finally be successful and useful.

I don't know, maybe I'm seeing myself in Jerry -- I've been laid off multiple times, and each time it lead to lengthy, soul-sucking attempts to find another job (protip: don't become a writer unless you live in New York City or something). Each time, I've felt like a useless failure, and I was increasingly desperate to be able to do something, anything to be useful. At those times, I would have been sorely tempted to do things like Jerry did in order to try to have some sense of healthy pride and accomplishment instead of sitting around and crying all day. I've felt the wind calling me a loser.

Again, I know the show's intent around Jerry, I just don't think it effectively portrays it.

Would you chase that feeling despite your loved ones begging you not to? Or when it demonstrably has a negative effect on them?

Part of what I like about this show is that every character is deserving of empathy but is largely miserable because of their own choices.

Jerry is so wrapped up in his desire to be the head of the house in the ways that toxic masculinity says he should be that it makes him a failure as a father and a husband.

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    The problem with the heist episode for me is it was trying to make fun of heists in fiction but it ended up just being a bunch of heists in fiction which I find tedious. There were funny bits in it but overall it was pointless to me.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I don’t mind a little recursive demonstration myself

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    My ratio has always been about 50/50 between stuff I liked and stuff I found completely unfunny or even upsetting.

This season I liked 90%, the only drag was the second half of the dragon episode.

• Options
    Yes, this is going to air during the Super Bowl and baffle football fans.

https://youtu.be/Ffu_LU6KpQI

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

They show Jerry actively making horrible decisions at the expense of others for the sake of his self interests over and over again and shirking responsibility and rarely showing remorse unless it happens to be to save himself.

I'm not really sure what more they could do. And if a majority of people are reading him in this way then I'm pretty sure that is the definition of effectively portraying it.

• Options
    I really liked the episode where Jerry and Beth go to an off world couples therapy and we see how they feed off each other’s character flaws.

Beth hates how meek and unintelligent Jerry is, but it feeds her ego when she compares herself to him. Jerry hates being belittled by Beth, but because he thinks she’s so strong and intelligent, him “standing up” to her with passive aggressive retorts feeds his ego as well. So they make this feedback loop of toxic behavior where each of their worst attributes strengthens the others worst attributes.

On of my more favorite Beth and Jerry episodes that I often forget Tiny Rick was in it.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »

"Lambs to the cosmic slaughter!"

Became my new favorite phrase at home for any minor inconvenience.

• Options

They show Jerry actively making horrible decisions at the expense of others for the sake of his self interests over and over again and shirking responsibility and rarely showing remorse unless it happens to be to save himself.

I'm not really sure what more they could do. And if a majority of people are reading him in this way then I'm pretty sure that is the definition of effectively portraying it.

Like I said, the difference is that, unlike all the other horrible characters, Jerry is treated like a pathetic joke and is called a loser, which makes his bad behavior read like trying desperately to get a win, even though it has bad consequences for the rest. When the other characters behave badly, it just seems like baseline bad behavior. There's no motivation for them other than ego or greed or such.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    looooosssssseeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »

"Lambs to the cosmic slaughter!"

Became my new favorite phrase at home for any minor inconvenience.

Screamed that out recently when they were out of my favorite crackers at the store.

Girlfriend thought it was hilarious. The two retired ladies giving me a wide eyed stare not so much

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options

Like I said, the difference is that, unlike all the other horrible characters, Jerry is treated like a pathetic joke and is called a loser, which makes his bad behavior read like trying desperately to get a win, even though it has bad consequences for the rest. When the other characters behave badly, it just seems like baseline bad behavior. There's no motivation for them other than ego or greed or such.

Jerry's an ass.

He'd be put upon if he actually put his family or others first like ever - before the point of calamity or relentless shaming I mean.

You frame it as him looking for a win, I see it as him being given the chance to be the Anti-Rick in the ways that matter, instead he mostly just tries to spite Rick and one up him.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    There's an alternate version of Jerry that likes hanging out with Johnny Depp. That's all you need to know about Jerry.

• Options
    There's an alternate version of Jerry that likes hanging out with Johnny Depp. That's all you need to know about Jerry.

Well no he hated Jonny Depp right? When he confessed to alt Beth

• Options
    Was it? I thought it was Kristen Stewart.

• Options

Jerry's an ass.

He'd be put upon if he actually put his family or others first like ever - before the point of calamity or relentless shaming I mean.

You frame it as him looking for a win, I see it as him being given the chance to be the Anti-Rick in the ways that matter, instead he mostly just tries to spite Rick and one up him.

Jerry should be an ass. Unfortunately, that gets clouded over by the universe calling him a loser, everyone treating him as a joke, etc. His assiness gets transposed into desperation. Every other family member gets to succeed or stand up for themselves to Rick sometimes. Jerry doesn't. In fact the one time Jerry tried to stand up to Rick at the end of season two, his marriage imploded. In order to be an ass, Jerry needs to be depicted as less of a loser.

• Options
    Was it? I thought it was Kristen Stewart.

Maybe.

I should rewatch interdimenaional cable.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugk3xRgz-Dg

Three layer universe dip stack. All of those different laws of physics, so tasty.

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    I marathoned Season 3 last night and half the decisions that Jerry makes are self-inflicted gunshot wounds for the sake of his own ego and self aggrandizement (the scale of which is admittedly much less lofty compared to Rick's grand cosmic machinations) like when he puts his own pride and saving his own skin above that of the safety of his own family at times (he eventually turns around but not without being outed and a lot of haranguing from the other characters about it).

I mean, I understand feeling sorry for the guy and sympathizing with him but he's not someone I ever want to admire or emulate. The same goes for Rick.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/BSF5yoD-vC4

That works for me for some reason.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm assuming that has to be in reference to something in particular, or is it just more an homage to basically a billion different shows/movies/games of the ronin variety?

Either way, very cool. Now if only they'd let us know when the rest of Season 4 was coming out.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Reminded me of Afro Samurai. That was very cool! I wonder if our 'prime' Rick will ever meet that Rick. :) 8-)

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I'm assuming that has to be in reference to something in particular, or is it just more an homage to basically a billion different shows/movies/games of the ronin variety?

Either way, very cool. Now if only they'd let us know when the rest of Season 4 was coming out.

Lone Wolf and Cub

• Options
    Speaking of, I've just finished the Rick and MOrty VR game. If you haven't tried it, it's a real treat if you like the show. I just wish you could also explore the house/setting.

• Options
    edited March 2020

I’m sure there’s a specific anime or show it’s based on, but the lone swordsman/gunman protecting a kid is a trope as old as dirt.

Doesn’t mean it’s not fun or entertaining though!

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

I’m sure there’s a specific anime or show it’s based on, but the lone swordsman/gunman protecting a kid is a trope as old as dirt.

Doesn’t mean it’s not fun or entertaining though!

It's Lone Wolf and Cub, right down to the baby cart.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Speaking of, I've just finished the Rick and MOrty VR game. If you haven't tried it, it's a real treat if you like the show. I just wish you could also explore the house/setting.

Also I'd play a whole game built around Troy.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/BSF5yoD-vC4

That works for me for some reason.

Although I SHOULD like this, I can’t help but feel like this Lone Wolf and Cub homage is a lot more telegraphed and lifeless than it should be. It’s almost a template, or a photoshop or instagram filter to me.