As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rick & Morty] Justin Roiland Versus Season Seven (Oct. 15th 2023)

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I think Snake FDR should just be called SDR.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I think Snake FDR should just be called SDR.

SSS... Sssnakelin Ssselano Sssoosivelt.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Snake polio was so tragic

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    One thing I guess I didn't quite understand: Why were the snakes suddenly trying to come after Morty after he sent that snake to the planet? What about him doing that triggered that course of events?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    He gave them proof there was something bigger and scarier to unite against.

Quid on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    the real question is, how many houses does snakeworld's Hogwarts have, cuz I bet it's two and they're Slitherin and Slitherout.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    the real question is, how many houses does snakeworld's Hogwarts have, cuz I bet it's two and they're Slitherin and Slitherout.

Don't forget the Hufflepuffadders and the Ravenbaits!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »

You mean Snake Hufflepuff and Snake Ravenclaw?

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Piotyr wrote: »
    evilthecat wrote: »

You mean Snake Hufflepuff and Snake Ravenclaw?

Sad, that there wasn't a Sssssoollliiidd Sssssnnnnaaakkkkeeee on this episode.

Unless I missed it.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Gotta say I really enjoyed the funny part with the snakes in the last episode.

• Options
    Wait

Where the fuck did the Santa hats come from?

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Wait

Santa hats? I’m not seeing any on mobile, but presumably the usual holiday forums are almost upon us, so I’m guessing that’s a sign of that pending.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Forar wrote: »
    Wait

Santa hats? I’m not seeing any on mobile, but presumably the usual holiday forums are almost upon us, so I’m guessing that’s a sign of that pending.

No no, the ones Rick and Morty are wearing.

Future Rick and Morty passed their hats to present Rick and Morty.

But where did they come from?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Wait

Rick keeps an emergency supply of Santa hats in his car.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Wait

Rick keeps an emergency supply of Santa hats in his car.

It would explain how Santa's whole gimmick is able to break the known laws of physics.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I greatly appreciate that Jerry's progressed to determined buffoon instead of simpering buffoon. He's still the dumbest one in the room but he's at least trying now.

Even Rick is grudgingly proud of him, which says a lot.

Well, at least 50% proud.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Somehow on Google Play I saw the snakes episode before the dragons episode.

That was...uncomfortable.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    This half season was pretty bad

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I enjoyed 3 of 5

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I enjoyed 3 of 5

I would say the only one I actively disliked was the dragon one

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I enjoyed 3 of 5

I would say the only one I actively disliked was the dragon one

Yeah, that one felt kinda like a sub-par South Park episode where they have an idea but they don't really have anything much to say about it, so they just keep wallowing in it and hope it remains funny/shocking for 20 minutes.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    the dragon one started out so well

then went completely to crap about 3 minutes in

rewatching the heist one it's not as bad as I remember it, but it's definitely not on par with the rest of the show

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    This half season was on par with rick and morty.

Folks do this with all great sitcoms. Every season of its always sunny is the worst until it isn’t and all it’s solid episodes end up in your memory list of great sunny moments.

Not every episode of any show is it’s best. Some episides have to be the worst of the show

But this season I feel some folks genuinely hated the heist episode where I loved it. So I can see those folks thinking the quality dipped.

Dragon episode was the weakest one and does rank up there with the worst the series has, but the jerry side plot was pretty great in it still

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I laughed at all the episodes, so by that metric it succeeded. I think the toliet ep was the weakest but I thought the Heist ep was pretty great.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Weakest episode for me by far continues to be S1 Interdimensional Cable, this season has had nothing yet that I didn't enjoy.

Snakisode has easily been my fave, though. Not only does it have an insane amount of detail, it has a story about Jerry being an idiot without me hating every second of it. Endless recursive time travel piles of dead snakes was funny every time.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Interdimensional Cable 2 has to be the worst episode of the series.

The toilet episode isn't all that bad but it is the worst episode that is supposed to lay out what kind of a miserable shitbird Rick is and how it's all his own fault. But most of those episodes are pretty stellar so it kinda drew the Short straw there.

The dragon episode was the worst of this bunch.

The snake episode may be in my personal top 5

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    I liked the Toilet episode because it’s an example of Rick’s nihilism being a major character flaw. It’s not the first example of this, but I still liked it.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

The toilet episode isn't all that bad but it is the worst episode that is supposed to lay out what kind of a miserable shitbird Rick is and how it's all his own fault. But most of those episodes are pretty stellar so it kinda drew the Short straw there.

All that put Interdimensional Cable 2 above the first for me is that it at least it has some kind of actual writing to it. Unfortunately, it's also got a fair helping of "look at Jerry suck and fail because that's all Jerry does", which is my second most-disliked thing they do in the show. It's also pretty much the only other episode I will actively skip when it comes on, so I'm not a fan of it either.

Morty's Mind-blowers is where they finally do something with the idea that doesn't suck, since they use it for the characters instead just having randomly-generated zany shit that doesn't connect to anything.

• Options
    RedTide wrote: »

All that put Interdimensional Cable 2 above the first for me is that it at least it has some kind of actual writing to it. Unfortunately, it's also got a fair helping of "look at Jerry suck and fail because that's all Jerry does", which is my second most-disliked thing they do in the show. It's also pretty much the only other episode I will actively skip when it comes on, so I'm not a fan of it either.

Morty's Mind-blowers is where they finally do something with the idea that doesn't suck, since they use it for the characters instead just having randomly-generated zany shit that doesn't connect to anything.

Interdimensional Cable 1 has about a 40% hit rate which is astonishingly high for improv and also a really great character beat for Summer and another for Morty.

It working as well as it did is why we got the dreadful second rendition

• Options
    But at the end of the day, it's still improv and it's still cratering most of the time while trying to trip and fall into some magic. As a writing process, fine, some great stuff can come out of that. As a script for an actual episode, it's like having my teeth drilled.

• Options
    Disrupter wrote: »
    This half season was on par with rick and morty.

Folks do this with all great sitcoms. Every season of its always sunny is the worst until it isn’t and all it’s solid episodes end up in your memory list of great sunny moments.

Not every episode of any show is it’s best. Some episides have to be the worst of the show

But this season I feel some folks genuinely hated the heist episode where I loved it. So I can see those folks thinking the quality dipped.

Dragon episode was the weakest one and does rank up there with the worst the series has, but the jerry side plot was pretty great in it still

This show is something I routinely run in the background and I agree with this. Every season has episodes that are perfectly okay. But they pale in comparison to the great episodes. When they're running in the background it's no big deal. When watching the newest episode I've waited all week or months for it hits harder because of the expectation.

• Options
    But at the end of the day, it's still improv and it's still cratering most of the time while trying to trip and fall into some magic. As a writing process, fine, some great stuff can come out of that. As a script for an actual episode, it's like having my teeth drilled.

It’s like having ants in your eyes, right Johnson?

Some of the improv was cringeworthy, but I did like that they actually animated all that randomness, which made it better for me. But I still like Morty’s Mind Blowers the best of them.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Was morty mindbenders improv? It didn’t seem like it where as the other two definitely did

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Was morty mindbenders improv? It didn’t seem like it where as the other two definitely did

Less improv and more set pieces and situations they could never put into an actual episode because it wouldn’t work in the narrative. But Rick breaks the 4th wall and draws a comparison between mind blowers and inter-dimensional cable, so I consider them similar even if not exactly.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Y'all are crazy. Both Interdimensional cable eps were gold.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, it's also got a fair helping of "look at Jerry suck and fail because that's all Jerry does", which is my second most-disliked thing they do in the show.

Seriously. I know the goal is "all the main characters are really flawed," but Jerry's painful because all his flaws end up reading as 1) depression and 2) trying to accomplish something (and get out of his depression) and failing. And the few times he really makes the attempt to stand up for himself he gets smacked down, hard (see: putting his foot down with Rick, finally, at the end of season 2, which lead to his marriage imploding). Part of what made his antigravity adventure so great is that he ended it with a shred of dignity.

Which isn't to say Jerry can't be as awful as the rest of them and work -- his rebound fling with the warrior alien was great, and it didn't seem like needlessly picking on him when it inevitably went south. But honestly, crap like the wind whispering "loser" at him is pretty much going "he sucks because he's got depression."

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Unfortunately, it's also got a fair helping of "look at Jerry suck and fail because that's all Jerry does", which is my second most-disliked thing they do in the show.

Seriously. I know the goal is "all the main characters are really flawed," but Jerry's painful because all his flaws end up reading as 1) depression and 2) trying to accomplish something (and get out of his depression) and failing. And the few times he really makes the attempt to stand up for himself he gets smacked down, hard (see: putting his foot down with Rick, finally, at the end of season 2, which lead to his marriage imploding). Part of what made his antigravity adventure so great is that he ended it with a shred of dignity.

Which isn't to say Jerry can't be as awful as the rest of them and work -- his rebound fling with the warrior alien was great, and it didn't seem like needlessly picking on him when it inevitably went south. But honestly, crap like the wind whispering "loser" at him is pretty much going "he sucks because he's got depression."

I don't read Jerry as having depression. When he's sad, it's for a reason in the episode. And he is CONSTANTLY putting in tons of effort and energy to try to do anything he can. He's really optimistic. But he fails constantly. That's what the show does to him.

notya on
  • Options
    Jerry is also selfish and vain and as stubborn as anyone save Rick. The fact that his other character traits are a mix of sympathetic and pathetic doesn't make him suddenly put upon.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Yeah Jerry isn't depressed or written to be depressed, he's just a failure without any potential. He's content just having a job he doesn't know how to do.

• Options
    Yeah Jerry isn't depressed or written to be depressed, he's just a failure without any potential. He's content just having a job he doesn't know how to do.

He was pretty depressed in the Whirly-Dirly episode IMO. Depressed enough that he didn’t even protest when he thought Rick was going to execute him in the beginning of the episode.

steam_sig.png