As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rick & Morty] Justin Roiland Versus Season Seven (Oct. 15th 2023)

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Only two episodes into Solar Opposites but I'm enjoying it. It's a sitcom filtered through Rick and Morty.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed Solar Opposites for the most part, but feel like it would've been better as a week to week series.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Rick and Morty is a human story about stakes beyond human comprehension.

Solar Opposites is an alien story about mundane life.

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    I do like Solar Opposites. But it does feel like a serial killer's homage to The Simpsons.

I'm not judging. It's ok if you want your fictional world to be random and cruel, but at least have some things to say about that. If you just make it sitcom hijinks with psychos, then that's not going to be interesting for long.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I watched the first few episodes of Solar Opposites.
    I am way more invested in the tiny people than any other part of the show.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I've only watched three episodes of Solar Opposites, but so far I don't think I like it as much as Rick and Morty.

I think it's because all of the characters in Solar Opposites seem to share Rick's callous recklessness. There's not enough Morty to balance them out.

Still, it ain't bad.

RT800 on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I think watching Solar Opposites convinced me that Dan Harmon's influence is the most important part of Rick & Morty's quality. I first watched the story train episode of Rick & Morty before starting Solar Opposites, though, so that certainly influenced my reaction to the show.

To not be entirely negative to Solar Opposites, I will say I was surprised that they kept the detail of the Schlorpians creating Gooblers when under stress consistent throughout the season. I had assumed it would be a one-off joke in the first episode.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Solar Opposites is a good appetizer while waiting for more Rick and Morty

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Solar Opposites has some good jokes, but it really doubles down on certain things with which Rick and Morty generally strikes a fragile balance. R+M occasionally indulges in some ultraviolence and nihilistic/dark, but it always pulls up and has some sort of redeeming message/moment. SO, on the other hand, goes into a full on bloodbath pretty regularly and
    that episode 7 was just unrepentantly mean-spirited.
    I finished the season, but I'm not onboard for another like it.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I've only watched three episodes of Solar Opposites, but so far I don't think I like it as much as Rick and Morty.

I think it's because all of the characters in Solar Opposites seem to share Rick's callous recklessness. There's not enough Morty to balance them out.

Still, it ain't bad.

Jesse and Terry seem at least semi interested in assimilating to earth and like people.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    New episode:
    The show setting up a twin towers bit, but backing off got a hearty chuckle out of me

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    That and
    Rick and Morty's alien parasites being in love with each other were the big laughs of the episode for me, but there was a lot to enjoy throughout.

Hell, just the dialog of Rick and Morty shooting the shit while enjoying themselves as they wrecked havok was satisfying due to simply liking the characters as much as I do now.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    And having watched a couple episodes of Solar Opposites I'm liking it so far. But, the obvious comparison to Rick and Morty and where it was just two episodes in, with the amazing episode that was Lawnmower Dog, gives any series being compared to it a serious uphill battle regardless of its genre or whoever made it.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    The Alzheimer's bit right at the end slayed me.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    That episode was pretty great. The ending killed me.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I'm making an egg mom, I'm making an egg
    You said you'd keep me more in the loop
    Look away Beth, daddy loves you
    My ass, my ass
    This is it Morty, full circle from the pilot, full circle.

Also Jerry getting that sexy dad vibe going on from his beekeeping.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

Also Jerry getting that sexy dad vibe going on from his beekeeping.

OH REALLY.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    S4x07 - Alright! Now that was a lot more enjoyable. Eggs-actly what I'm looking for in a great R&M episode. :P
    "No No please! Don't make us get in the car! We hate being in the car!" :lol:
    "I have a toothpick now. Toothpicks are like, uh, my thing..." Which by some eye-stabbing fluke, leads to Summer becoming queen of a whole civilization... Again! :lol:

They should have led with this one to kick off the second half of season 4, instead of Story-Train. A much stronger episode, IMO. It got way more deep laughs out of me, anyhow. :)

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Uh, anyone else watching this through Amazon? Cause it's still not up for me.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    somewhere in the writing room:
    You know what we don't have enough of? Rule 34 entries...

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Quid wrote: »

Not up for me either, as of 20 minutes ago. Last week's was up by Monday mid morning.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »

Not up for me either, as of 20 minutes ago. Last week's was up by Monday mid morning.

I tried watching it through our Fire stick and just get offered to download Adult Swim's app which hahahahahahaha no.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    man there's been a lot of incest jokes this season

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    This episode was fantastic. Jesus Christ the internet is going to have a fit with the amount rule 34 that is going to come out of this.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Solar Opposites is good!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Still not up on Amazon Prime? What gives?

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm a bit miffed.

Not, like, jump up on the counter and shout "WHERE'S MY EPISODE?" miffed. But I might tweet an inquiry? Dunno, that seems like it might be a bit much.

• Options
    I'm hoping it's just a bungle somewhere and it'll.be up soon.

If I have to wait a week like the adult swim site does for free viewings then I'll be pissed.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    man there's been a lot of incest jokes this season

To be fair, the joke about wanting to fuck Jerry was from Summer's friend.
    I mean, yeah, still a lot of incest jokes, but that's just Glasses Morty getting his wish.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Gave Solar Opposites a spin and after six episodes, it seems like a big dull turd to me. It doesn't do anything that Rick and Morty does better, and it's just a shitload of lines fired at the screen every second. The "aliens are weird and don't understand human things!" was old twenty years and it's the cornerstone of the show here.

It's like if somebody sucked every interesting characters and all the actual creativity out of Rick and Morty and slapped the leftovers in a cheap knockoff with the same animation style.

So, Coneheads eh?

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular

Do you have a cable login of any kind? I've been watching on Adult Swim, but I realize not everyone has cable too.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Gave Solar Opposites a spin and after six episodes, it seems like a big dull turd to me. It doesn't do anything that Rick and Morty does better, and it's just a shitload of lines fired at the screen every second. The "aliens are weird and don't understand human things!" was old twenty years and it's the cornerstone of the show here.

It's like if somebody sucked every interesting characters and all the actual creativity out of Rick and Morty and slapped the leftovers in a cheap knockoff with the same animation style.

So, Coneheads eh?

I think I definitely used that analogy in a different post, with the difference that Solar Opposites goes for the shotgun approach of attempted comedy. Don't bother to let anything breath or land, just keep doing zany shit non-stop the entire time and hope some of it is amusing to somebody.

Hell, Solar Opposites even does the same "we don't have a butthole!" joke that the Coneheads movie did a million years ago.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Its up on google if you dont mind paying the 1.99

Honestly with CN stuff I dont buy the seasons anymore because shit like this happens way to often( steven universe)

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    Just like in Star Wars!

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I'm happy someone is saying nice things about Jerry for once in the whole series.

https://youtu.be/vPl6xPm8Lqg

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I'm happy someone is saying nice things about Jerry for once in the whole series.

https://youtu.be/vPl6xPm8Lqg

Crazy American Beauty vibes from that scene.

The Honey is going to come up in a future episode I bet.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Who eats pancakes with honey any way? It's like the poor man's maple syrup

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Given they just spent the previous episode deriding the structure that continuity imposes on them, I would not expect any follow up.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Who eats pancakes with honey any way? It's like the poor man's maple syrup

Being from Quebec this could not be more true.

PSN: Canadian_llama