As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Battle[chat]

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I have tried unsuccessfully to pull my friend group off facebook for organizing events or just our general thread. I gave up.

My facebook still does not contain my real name. Or really anything but I think my birthday.

I never look at my birthday stuff.

My friends actually remind me to log in to rsvp for events so they can get headcounts.

My last post on Facebook was 3 years ago. I may as well be dead in social media time.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    We lost an afternoon's worth of programming so my conference is done way early

I was supposed to fly out tomorrow morning but apparently Delta is doing a flight + connection that doesn't leave for a couple hours

what's involved in changing? am I going to get hosed with a fee or can I do a one-to-one?

depends on what type of ticket you have. airlines have gotten to be real shit weasels about changing flights.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I think most people continue to enjoy attending birthday parties for their friends and more likeable family pretty much their entire life unless they have some kind of social anxiety or avoidant behaviour?

surprised there's such an ardent reaction against the concept considering y'all are nerds

"Most people don't actually want to go to birthday parties" is a wild claim, to me, is all

oh right I forgot

IANAL, IANAD, IANHR, don't take my posts as gospel, I am often facetious because I'm posting on a gaming forum, etc, etc, etc

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Those don't seem that spicy...also I think that might be the exact makeup of my current group.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Pikachu
    Not to continue being that guy after taking my virulently anti-facebook stance, but the article skippy linked is another one of my hot button spicy take issues.

All predictive text and auto reply messages should be disabled on all devices. Autocompletion of thoughts by machines is reshaping the way you write in ugly ways, and it's completely stifling self-expression. People increasingly sound homogenous and samey via email. They use the same phrases over and over that might not mean exactly what they want to say but it was really easy to just tap "Got it, thanks!" and have the reply fire off. Our very basic ability to be genuine in small interactions is wasting away.

Even autocorrect is doing this to some degree.

I threw away the gmail app when they added reply suggestions that couldn't be turned off (I think they later went back on this, thank god.)

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Rum Tum Tugger
    Preacher wrote: »
    Honestly I hate having to attend the birthday parties for my son's friends. Always feels awkward as fuck "Hey uhh you're that parent I pass in the hall at daycare, hi..."

i think that’s different from attending the birthdays of your own friends and family

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Honestly I hate having to attend the birthday parties for my son's friends. Always feels awkward as fuck "Hey uhh you're that parent I pass in the hall at daycare, hi..."

i liked it a lot more when there was a kid friendly bar next to my son's daycare.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Not to continue being that guy after taking my virulently anti-facebook stance, but the article skippy linked is another one of my hot button spicy take issues.

All predictive text and auto reply messages should be disabled on all devices. Autocompletion of thoughts by machines is reshaping the way you write in ugly ways, and it's completely stifling self-expression. People increasingly sound homogenous and samey via email. They use the same phrases over and over that might not mean exactly what they want to say but it was really easy to just tap "Got it, thanks!" and have the reply fire off. Our very basic ability to be genuine in small interactions is wasting away.

I threw away the gmail app when they added reply suggestions that couldn't be turned off (I think they later went back on this, thank god.)

Yeah this I agree with, predictably

It's nightmarish

• Options

I am a shit writer, I don't need an app to help make me a shittier writer.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I mean I'm from the Seattle Area the legendary "fuck you social stuff" but I personally hate having to do anything I don't want to do. Birthday parties, holidays, events, they all create an expectation that sometimes end of the day I don't want any part of. Shit I struggle wanting to do pokemon go events and that's just me outside with my cellphone collecting mons!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »

i think that’s different from attending the birthdays of your own friends and family

is it really though

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Pikachu
    I think most people continue to enjoy attending birthday parties for their friends and more likeable family pretty much their entire life unless they have some kind of social anxiety or avoidant behaviour?

surprised there's such an ardent reaction against the concept considering y'all are nerds

"Most people don't actually want to go to birthday parties" is a wild claim, to me, is all

Yeah I'm extremely antisocial and lazy and I really like birthday parties. It's very anecdotal but it feels somewhat reasonable to extrapolate. I'm going to a birthday party this weekend! I want to get my friend a book but I'm not sure if he's read it or not so I just sent an email asking him if the name of some of the secondary characters rung a bell for him heh

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Pikachu
    I would gladly attend any event from my own social circle. We only get into arm-chewing territory when it's like, the wedding of one of my mom's friends kids, where I know nobody and all the activities are bad and it's probably going to be very hot and loud while I am overdressed.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

oh right I forgot

IANAL, IANAD, IANHR, don't take my posts as gospel, I am often facetious because I'm posting on a gaming forum, etc, etc, etc

this is weird

just stop saying things that are transparently wrong and communicate clearly when you are facetious!

sig.gif
  • Options
    is it something you actually enjoy doing or decades of social expectations that have stockholm-ed you, would you even know?

If you had to pick between going to a 1 hour long catholic mass wedding for your maybe not your best friend but someone you knew all your life or sitting home in your underwear, would you honest to god pick the former or are you doing it to prove bowen wrong on the internet when he's going to sign off tonight and not think about your lies?

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

I don't mind it but I try reasonably hard to only use it as jokes and to clearly mark it within 2 exchanges after the usage.

sig.gif
  • Options

oh right I forgot

this is weird

just stop saying things that are transparently wrong and communicate clearly when you are facetious!

Why don't you just kiss me baby

• Options
    Pikachu
    I mean shit I just drove 6 hours each way to western new york for a friends housewarming and to meet another friend's baby and it was absolutely lovely. I really wish they lived closer.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I kind of hate weddings

Oh good, the """"MC"""" is your acquaintance's cousin who thinks he's funny as hell

• Options
    I would gladly attend any event from my own social circle. We only get into arm-chewing territory when it's like, the wedding of one of my mom's friends kids, where I know nobody and all the activities are bad and it's probably going to be very hot and loud while I am overdressed.

i turn down events i would like to go to because there are too many such events!

it is real rare that i go to something i don't want to

sig.gif
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Practically every single coworker is slavishly devoted to Facebook messenger. I just do without those groups and text people individually.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Agumon

Yeah this I agree with, predictably

It's nightmarish

78slqwwz4byr.png

• Options

It is, but it isn't? Like at least the parties I've been to have been like an attempted "hey lets create a social group based on our kids being 'friends'" and I just want no part. I can't small talk for shit, my wife and I are older than most of the other parents of 3 year olds, and we seem to be the only fucking gamers there despite that seemingly statistically fucking impossible.

People at my job routinely are like "hey we should get together" and I'm like "no I don't want to anything with you or your family that impacts what I do with my time and frankly I don't care enough socially to engage in that."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

oh right I forgot

this is weird

Why don't you just kiss me baby

Like Werner Herzog I am convinced, let us now kiss

sig.gif
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Pikachu
    is it something you actually enjoy doing or decades of social expectations that have stockholm-ed you, would you even know?

If you had to pick between going to a 1 hour long catholic mass wedding for your maybe not your best friend but someone you knew all your life or sitting home in your underwear, would you honest to god pick the former or are you doing it to prove bowen wrong on the internet when he's going to sign off tonight and not think about your lies?

do I get a +1 and/or are any of my other friends there?

If so, I definitely go! I love weddings. Even if the ceremony is long it's an interesting cultural experience. The only time I skipped a friend's wedding in my general area was when I was really struggling with my mental health.

If it's just me and I know literally no one and I'll be there for hours, I'd pass, yeah.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Agumon
    I'm usually the introverted one. I don't know what's going on here.

VishNub on
  • Options
    credeiki wrote: »

Yeah I'm extremely antisocial and lazy and I really like birthday parties. It's very anecdotal but it feels somewhat reasonable to extrapolate. I'm going to a birthday party this weekend! I want to get my friend a book but I'm not sure if he's read it or not so I just sent an email asking him if the name of some of the secondary characters rung a bell for him heh

I went to one this last weekend. First there was talking and hanging out at with Whiskey. Followed by karaoke.

It was a lot of fun.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

I'm a social being...so yeah.

I find sitting at home incredibly depressing.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Pikachu
    Bowen I am not a social butterfly extrovert by ANY stretch but you are for sure off base. Surely you have people you like spending time with more than you like being slovenly and alone.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    folks did you know that:
    a) the Battlestar Galactica boardgame is one of the best of its kind (thematic hidden traitor)
    b) the game and its expansions are wildly out of print and looks like will never be reprinted
    c) second hand copies now go for $300USD on the marketplace

anyway that’s why I bought a huge pile of card sleeves and must now protect my retirement investment

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Rum Tum Tugger
    i have never once tapped a suggested reply

i have only ever used the text suggestion on my phone when playing that game where you intentionally autocomplete a sentence with your phone to see how fucked up it is and that’s never as entertaining as it sounds like it would be

all thoughts are my own. please to not steal. consider the environment before printing this post.

• Options
    the hourish long catholic wedding mass is basically an affront to god change my mind

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    also hi, hello, it has been a little while

• Options

It is, but it isn't? Like at least the parties I've been to have been like an attempted "hey lets create a social group based on our kids being 'friends'" and I just want no part. I can't small talk for shit, my wife and I are older than most of the other parents of 3 year olds, and we seem to be the only fucking gamers there despite that seemingly statistically fucking impossible.

People at my job routinely are like "hey we should get together" and I'm like "no I don't want to anything with you or your family that impacts what I do with my time and frankly I don't care enough socially to engage in that."

This doesn't seem to address Chanus's point. I agree with you and I agree with Chanus. I do not want to go to birthday parties of people I have not chosen to be friends with, which is what all your examples are. But people I do choose to be friends with have birthday parties that I enjoy.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

I'm a social being...so yeah.

I find sitting at home incredibly depressing.

Fucking liberating. "What do I have to do today? Fucking nothing? Sweet I'm just going to sit in my boxers and play video games all day."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Bowen I am not a social butterfly extrovert by ANY stretch but you are for sure off base. Surely you have people you like spending time with more than you like being slovenly and alone.

AH is the one with the skidmarks on his undies, gosh

• Options
    Rum Tum Tugger

that’s the difference though.

the “let’s force create a social group” part

• Options
    the hourish long catholic wedding mass is basically an affront to god change my mind

It's why god invented flasks and drinking games.

I like to ART
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Yup, gonna go to that wedding. Every time.

As far as I'm concerned, they didn't have to invite me, and it's not like it is a reciprocal thing because I'm not married, so that they did is a pretty good indication that they'd like me to be there, so imma do my best to turn up.

sig.gif
  • Options
    credeiki wrote: »

do I get a +1 and/or are any of my other friends there?

If so, I definitely go! I love weddings. Even if the ceremony is long it's an interesting cultural experience. The only time I skipped a friend's wedding in my general area was when I was really struggling with my mental health.

If it's just me and I know literally no one and I'll be there for hours, I'd pass, yeah.

I mean the ceremony isn't why you go anyway its the party afterwards with all your friends!

I never really been to weddings where I don't have at least a few friends and people I know. Like I skipped my cousin's because a)it was in Arkansas and b)he is a born again Christian though he is on my Jewish side and I just wasn't dealing with that. I sent them a nice gift.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.