As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [GIF] thread is mourning Stephen Wilhite by arguing about pronunciation (nsf56k)

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    victorinox knives are absolutely bonkers good for the price but the handles on them tend to be too chunky for comfort, imo

the stuff the handles are made of is also really brittle

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019WZEUE/

This is the one I use, the only complaint I have is I can't toss it in the dishwasher.

Well. I mean. You can....
    Weaver wrote: »
    Goddamnit you had to link a restaurant supply site, now I wanna scrap all of my dishes and kit my kitchen out with nothing but what looks like it came from some old roadside diner.

I would really truly genuinely love a pair of skillets and/or frying pans, both stainless steel (so they cook the same), but one non-stick, but otherwise identical so I can interchange lids. Like, if I could find a pair of frying pans and a pair of saute pans (or even a saute pan in stainless steel), I would be very tempted to spend way too much on them.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Stainless steel and nonstick? Is that a thing?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Skeith wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    victorinox knives are absolutely bonkers good for the price but the handles on them tend to be too chunky for comfort, imo

This is the one I use, the only complaint I have is I can't toss it in the dishwasher.

Goddamnit you had to link a restaurant supply site, now I wanna scrap all of my dishes and kit my kitchen out with nothing but what looks like it came from some old roadside diner.

I would really truly genuinely love a pair of skillets and/or frying pans, both stainless steel (so they cook the same), but one non-stick, but otherwise identical so I can interchange lids. Like, if I could find a pair of frying pans and a pair of saute pans (or even a saute pan in stainless steel), I would be very tempted to spend way too much on them.

Stainless steel and nonstick? Is that a thing?

I assume so? I mean, the idea would be two pans that are identical except that one has had nonstick coating applied to the cooking surface, so that they otherwise heft and conduct heat the same way.

Switching between, for instance, aluminum and cast iron can be tricky if you're not familiar with the materials. They will cook stuff very differently.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Scanpan do stainless regular and non-stick. And you'll get to spend lots of money, just like you wanted! (they do make some very nice stuff, though)

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I have a regular nonstick (that has lost a lot of its nonstickiness over the years) and a stainless steel pan, and the stainless pan lid fits perfectly on the nonstick.

Just lucky there, I guess.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I have a 14" calphalon stainless pan and a 14" nonstick from some other manufacturer but the lids are interchangeable. One is domed and one is flat.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    Sound. Be warned, these birds are loud.

The dog is named Temujin apparently.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    That poor dog!

• Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    birds are weird

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Sound on for this one

I would have bet money I knew where this clip was going based on the thumbnail

I was wrong and it's so much better

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Man, fuck geese.

• Options

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    When I was a trainee chef I got myself a nice Gustav, asked one of the chefs to run the steel over it so I didn't immediately fuck it up, and he rammed it point-first into the steel.

6 or so years later when I got married I spent some gift money on a few Globals, recounted the story of how the chef took the point off my new knife when I got it, and then immediately bonked my new cook's knife on a tile, bending the point.

No moral, other than that I shouldn't be trusted with sharp objects.

Also 15 years on I still use the Gustav because the Global is too long.

A couple years back, one of my chefs told a story about one of his buddies; Dude brought his favorite knife to his head chef, a wizened Japanese guy who probably had Jesus as a sous chef, the man was fucking ancient. Anyhoo, favorite knife had seen some better days and the young chef asked the older chef to help him tune his knife up, get it back into proper fighting shape. What does the old guy do? Takes the knife, hmmm, hawwww, let's see here, and proceeds to start stropping it on the fucking concrete, like he's polishing a cutthroat razor on a leather belt.

Needless to say, I'm hearing this story third-hand and my stomach basically fell out of my body, I can't even imagine what the young chef was thinking.

Old dude proceeds to take out his own personal water stones, starts working the steel like nobody's business and within half an hour, bam, razor's edge, mirror finish.

I don't know what he did or how he did it, but it must have taken a supreme effort of will not to choke the old dude; chef's knives are like ... that's your baby, your child, your spouse ... you spend more time with that piece of steel than you do with your own family.

• Options
    When I was a trainee chef I got myself a nice Gustav, asked one of the chefs to run the steel over it so I didn't immediately fuck it up, and he rammed it point-first into the steel.

6 or so years later when I got married I spent some gift money on a few Globals, recounted the story of how the chef took the point off my new knife when I got it, and then immediately bonked my new cook's knife on a tile, bending the point.

No moral, other than that I shouldn't be trusted with sharp objects.

Also 15 years on I still use the Gustav because the Global is too long.

A couple years back, one of my chefs told a story about one of his buddies; Dude brought his favorite knife to his head chef, a wizened Japanese guy who probably had Jesus as a sous chef, the man was fucking ancient. Anyhoo, favorite knife had seen some better days and the young chef asked the older chef to help him tune his knife up, get it back into proper fighting shape. What does the old guy do? Takes the knife, hmmm, hawwww, let's see here, and proceeds to start stropping it on the fucking concrete, like he's polishing a cutthroat razor on a leather belt.

Needless to say, I'm hearing this story third-hand and my stomach basically fell out of my body, I can't even imagine what the young chef was thinking.

Old dude proceeds to take out his own personal water stones, starts working the steel like nobody's business and within half an hour, bam, razor's edge, mirror finish.

I don't know what he did or how he did it, but it must have taken a supreme effort of will not to choke the old dude; chef's knives are like ... that's your baby, your child, your spouse ... you spend more time with that piece of steel than you do with your own family.

I mean, there was probably an actual benefit to roughing up the surface, but lowkey we both know old dude was just fucking with that kid to see how he would react.

• Options
    Sound

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

that's the one I have too! for like, eight years now. Everything else in my kitchen is and was cheap ikea shit, but I knew that a kitchen knife is a waste to not spend money on (but, like, to a reasonable degree

it's a very good knife

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    BEES

I'm guessing the principal behind this is "if you get enough of the bees in the box, the pheromone signal gets strong enough that the rest will congregate in it of their own accord".

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    BEES

I'm guessing the principal behind this is "if you get enough of the bees in the box, the pheromone signal gets strong enough that the rest will congregate in it of their own accord".

Basically yes. When bees swarm like this, it's because a new queen has completed her mating flight and is ready to establish a colony. The workers from the old colony will follow her scent and, after the queen finds a good place such as this nice safe box, they will begin collecting food and raise the first generation of workers the queen produces.

• Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    BEES

Basically yes. When bees swarm like this, it's because a new queen has completed her mating flight and is ready to establish a colony. The workers from the old colony will follow her scent and, after the queen finds a good place such as this nice safe box, they will begin collecting food and raise the first generation of workers the queen produces.
    It dosent seem like he got very many bees in the bee hole.

Perhaps this gentleman is just not cut out to be a bee boxer.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    You don't need to get that many in the box, because the dimensions of the box are carefully designed to thrill and delight bees looking for a place to settle down. A swarm is pretty much just hanging out waiting for a scout bee to return and let them know that she found an enclosed space that they can fill with wax and honey. Other scouts are dancing about the hive sites they found, and the jazziest dancers get the most follow-up scouts sent to their locations, until a consensus is reached and the whole swarm follows the waggle dance instructions to the hollow tree or whatever.

What's going to happen at that box is that dozens of scouts are going to check it out simultaneously, then come out frantically twerking about how they found an impossibly good hive location extremely close to the current location of the swarm. In terms of bee democracy, that's like all the superPACs suddenly melding into one unholy lobbying group and pouring trillions of dollars into renaming a single post office in a small Midwestern town. The motion will pass very quickly, all the bees will climb inside, and the beekeepers can cart them off to the apiary.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Sound

I'm guessing this bird has spent a lot of time in a truck.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

"Loser has to drink, winner gets to hold the dog."

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

I love my Vixtorinox 8" chefs knife with the synthetic handle. For my hands its the perfect height to get a good forward grip on the blade and a good bevel to get a nice rocking motion when chopping. Also I don't feel bad learning how to sharpen knives on one that only costs $40.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »

Finally, my subscriptions to fucking idiotic youtube channels pays off for burning questions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2YYF5Ysvdg

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »

(RAFT(RAFT(RAFT(RAFT(RAFT(RAFT))))))

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

"Loser has to drink, winner gets to hold the dog."

Do Americans know you can just drink and hang out with dogs without having to play games?

I mean, they're wasting valuable puppy cuddle time!

Fuck flipping cups, lemme scritch that tummy!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    We're like twelve hours behind you, so we've had to get used to delayed gratification.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    I was originally gonna make a joke about the winner getting to drink, cause like that can be a fun thing to do in social settings, but I went blank in trying to come up with a way to make it sound like the person holding the puppy was the loser. there is just no way to spin that and be believable.

• Options
    When they tell you no smoking on the forecourt, they mean it:

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    was hoping that had sound just because i bet it sounds really cool

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    Petesalzl wrote: »
    I was originally gonna make a joke about the winner getting to drink
    This would make sense to me. Since by winning and drinking more, you become inebriated and the skill level evens out.

But its even easier to just cut out that part and drink together while playing a fun game.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    Ranlin wrote: »
    If it cost $800 I sure hope it can survive a fall to the ground unharmed.

Literally only TV chefs use 800 dollar knives.

Working cooks use this shit

I have known dudes to spend that much, but they likely only have it at home or maybe if they're michelin starred

you will get just as much out of a $150 knife that will last longer than you do and will keep a great edge

anything passed a wustof or henckels is vanity rather than functionality or quality

EDIT: but yeah, any kitchen or butcher I've ever been in the back of has those style knives right there for whoever doesn't bring their own(so almost everybody)

These fancy squatters have the same taste in cutlery as that douchebag, Phantom Limb.

Heffling on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    i uh
    i guess these guys are taking their parrot for a walk?

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Something about the wingspan, I didn't know parrots can get that big.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    parrots are big! that looks like a scarlet macaw and I think of the parrots you're likely to see as pets they're not especially large?

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    Ranlin wrote: »
    If it cost $800 I sure hope it can survive a fall to the ground unharmed.

Literally only TV chefs use 800 dollar knives.

Working cooks use this shit

I have known dudes to spend that much, but they likely only have it at home or maybe if they're michelin starred

you will get just as much out of a $150 knife that will last longer than you do and will keep a great edge

anything passed a wustof or henckels is vanity rather than functionality or quality

EDIT: but yeah, any kitchen or butcher I've ever been in the back of has those style knives right there for whoever doesn't bring their own(so almost everybody)

These fancy squatters have the same taste in cutlery as that douchebag, Phantom Limb.

Magic squatter elves.

• Options
    The new Splinter Cell is going in a bold new direction: