Options

[Star Wars] Elan Sleazebaggano went home and became a family man

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I have a hard time believing the slightest touch wouldn't shatter Alec Guinness' entire body

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Folks I just did a whole Star Warsy makeover of my whole phone

I've got it bad this year

as long as you don't buy the fucking light and dark side GE refrigerators they're making

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

as long as you don't buy the fucking light and dark side GE refrigerators they're making

Why do you do this to me? I didn't need to know that this exists.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Why do you do this to me? I didn't need to know that this exists.

also washer/dryer combos

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    if the fridge says things to you: I’m in

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I think those kinds of remakes are misdiagnosing the problem

The Ben Kenobi/Darth Vader fight isn't bad because it's not flashy enough

It's bad because it doesn't really capture the thing Lucas was going for, which was Kurosawa samurai fights

But imo that's still the right way to do it, as opposed to trying to remake it based on lightsaber fights that would come after

Ignoring either Yoda fight in the prequels (which we, as a society, should), the fight at the end of New Hope is the fight where the combatants have the most experience between them in all the movies, and I feel like if anything it should look more methodical, not less, like half the duel has already happened because it's already happened in their minds

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    They are just normal appliances. It is just a marketing tie in. Like car commercials with star wars.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

If I did it would be the first time I ever went dark side on anything, but that's only because slate is bad and black stainless steel rocks

• Options
    Can we talk for a second how fucked up it is that "Do you want to be a good guy or a space fascist" is a marketing thing

Because I feel like there's only more and more of that in the last few years, and I hate it

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Like the maul Kenobi fight in rebels.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I think those kinds of remakes are misdiagnosing the problem

The Ben Kenobi/Darth Vader fight isn't bad because it's not flashy enough

It's bad because it doesn't really capture the thing Lucas was going for, which was Kurosawa samurai fights

But imo that's still the right way to do it, as opposed to trying to remake it based on lightsaber fights that would come after

Ignoring either Yoda fight in the prequels (which we, as a society, should), the fight at the end of New Hope is the fight where the combatants have the most experience between them in all the movies, and I feel like if anything it should look more methodical, not less, like half the duel has already happened because it's already happened in their minds
    I think the Kenobi/Maul fight in Rebels is much closer, although probably a bit more abrupt than Vader/Kenobi should have been

Less flashy but more having every single move have purpose and weight behind it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the obi-wan/maul rematch is better than every fight scene in either the OT or the prequels

• Options

If I did it would be the first time I ever went dark side on anything, but that's only because slate is bad and black stainless steel rocks

6 years ago if someone told me they had a full set of cosplay stormtrooper armor I'd have though it was neat and now I absolutely think they are a proudboy

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    the obi-wan/maul rematch is better than every fight scene in either the OT or the prequels

But to be fair, part of the reason it works so well is because it contains very deliberate call-backs to prequel fights.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Can we talk for a second how fucked up it is that "Do you want to be a good guy or a space fascist" is a marketing thing

Because I feel like there's only more and more of that in the last few years, and I hate it

Pretending to be a cartoon bad guy is not remotely the same as saying "I think fascism is a good system".

• Options
    edited December 2019

6 years ago if someone told me they had a full set of cosplay stormtrooper armor I'd have though it was neat and now I absolutely think they are a proudboy

Right! Like, 6 years ago (or whenever Star Wars Battlefront 2 came out) I thought "wow, the 501st is neat, I should join that!"

And now while I still think the 501st folks are probably totally fine, I just couldn't bring myself to put together a storm trooper costume

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    these days whenever someone defaults to picking dark side in star wars games where that is an option....well, I wouldn't say it makes me think they're a Nazi, but it does make me narrow my eyes a bit and start asking certain questions about that possibility

• Options
    Moth 13 wrote: »

Pretending to be a cartoon bad guy is not remotely the same as saying "I think fascism is a good system".

They're called stormtroopers, I'm not exactly reaching here

It's not the fault of anyone playing a game or cosplaying or whatever that society is where it's at, but it's also not my fault for looking at someone with an Empire bumper sticker or whatever and having a bad feeling about it

• Options
    edited December 2019

pretending to be a literal space fascist specifically modelled on nazis is not a nothing choice

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options

I just watched this out of curiosity

God I cannot stand how Rebels looks, BUT, the staging of the fight is very well done

• Options
    edited December 2019
    I've never been a fan of that style of animation but those shows are clearly made by people who love Star Wars and want to do right by it, and that counts for a lot

I wouldn't be shocked to find out that scene was directed by someone who'd been thinking about how to do a rematch between those two characters for years

Shorty on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    these days whenever someone defaults to picking dark side in star wars games where that is an option....well, I wouldn't say it makes me think they're a Nazi, but it does make me narrow my eyes a bit and start asking certain questions about that possibility

I'm not for fascism, I'm for frying guys with lightning (and maybe a little light force choking).
    When I can do that from the light side, let me know.

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    the marketing angle of the light/dark choice can be pretty dang bad

but i'm also having fun imagining the evil fridge slowly, tantalizingly swinging open on its own as you pass by in the middle of the night

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Also storm troopers look rad and no one wants to be dumb rebel Nien Numb with his gross-ass fish face sorry.

It's just marketing, get with it Resistance.

(Yeah I know space-racial profiling is totally a space-fascist thing but look he's really gross looking and I don't want him on my team my jackboot is down on this.)

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

I'm not for fascism, I'm for frying guys with lightning (and maybe a little light force choking).
    When I can do that from the light side, let me know.

This is why the Jedi Knight games are good

No rules just right Kyle Katarn

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Daypigeon wrote: »

but i'm also having fun imagining the evil fridge slowly, tantalizingly swinging open on its own as you pass by in the middle of the night

I do hear Palpatine's voice in my head whenever I almost eat an entire thing of little pepperonis

"do it," he says

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Also storm troopers look rad and no one wants to be dumb rebel Nien Numb with his gross-ass fish face sorry.

(Yeah I know space-racial profiling is totally a space-fascist thing but look he's really gross looking and I don't want him on my team my jackboot is down on this.)

Nien Nunb is a hero, how dare you

Also Rebel shit has always looked cooler than Imperial shit, even before I felt squicky about the latter

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Daypigeon wrote: »

I do hear Palpatine's voice in my head whenever I almost eat an entire thing of little pepperonis

"do it," he says

"Dew it"

Quire.jpg
  • Options

Nien Nunb is a hero, how dare you

Also Rebel shit has always looked cooler than Imperial shit, even before I felt squicky about the latter

Wait, no, Star Destroyers are the cooler capital ships

Rebels have the cooler fighters though, easily

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

pretending to be a literal space fascist specifically modelled on nazis is not a nothing choice

It definitely can be, yeah.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    the two things I like in that video is the idea of a lightsaber fight happening in close quarters so they're just slicing up the hallway when they cross swords, and it being a little bit longer so you show ben really struggling and getting worn down instead of just deciding to die. but that's too long and too cgi goopy otherwise

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

this stuff really bothers me, yeah.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Venator Class Star Destroyers are pretty cool and have a wicked name, and are technically not Emperial. Too bad the Rebels couldn't get their hands on a couple of those bad boys.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    the two things I like in that video is the idea of a lightsaber fight happening in close quarters so they're just slicing up the hallway when they cross swords, and it being a little bit longer so you show ben really struggling and getting worn down instead of just deciding to die. but that's too long and too cgi goopy otherwise

I haven't bothered to watch the video but you arnt selling it. Depicting Obi-wan getting tired and worn down feels like the exact opposite intent of the original.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »

It definitely can be, yeah.

I disagree

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Venator Class Star Destroyers are pretty cool and have a wicked name, and are technically not Emperial. Too bad the Rebels couldn't get their hands on a couple of those bad boys.

In Alphabet Squadron, Hera is commanding one.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    It's important to remember that that Ben/Vader fight was done by an independent group of folks with maybe a shoestring budget so they get mad props for what they pulled off. I'm not a particular fan of it from a stylistic approach but credit where credit is due.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Most of the dark side stuff in the games just doesn't have a whole lot of interesting things to say

I liked the Imperial Agent stuff in TOR, in part because so much of it was "We're the people trying to keep a government that is ostensibly ruled over by a cabal of cartoon villains running in spite of them."

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    God the Imperial Agent storyline ruled

Every time a Sith entered the picture you could basically hear every agent in the room sigh and roll their eyes

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I never finished it but I liked playing an Imperial Agent who exclusively made light side choices

This discussion has been closed.