Options

[Star Wars] Open TROS Spoilers! Beware!

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    The spinny lightsabers are kind of silly but also kind of fit the inquisitors. Like they're not great weapons, its a mechanized cheap trick to get in a bunch of hits and wow the enemy, but that's the sort of tier they operate on. They're not intended to be like dark side apprentice sith, they're given trick lightsabers instead of full training.

Also Bendu the space tauren was cool. He was pretty much the only take on like gray force wielders that I like. He was all about training self knowledge, but didn't care what actions that knowledge led you to, you got the impression he'd be perfectly content to train a Sith as well, if a Sith wad capable of not annoying him. He was powerful, but like a force of nature, him like heading off to battle Darth Vader would be antithetical to his whole thing.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Yeah, i've been binging rebels and loving it. The spinny lightsabers are dumb... but like, the Grand Inquisitor is dumb. (in a literal, this is not a smart character sense) - he's a disposable tool of palplatines who's on mopping duty and he never really clicks to how far down on the totem pole he actually is, or how far he's fallen. I can totally see him having made these and handed them out to his minions and thinking He's the Bestests.

Rebel spoilers s2:
    Compare how controlled and well, badass his force ghost is. Especially the knighting of Kanan, that was great. [/spoilers]

Overall, it's a show i've really been digging. Just made it past the halfway point of s4

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    latest?cb=20111209171427

If Spinny sabers of magnetically contained roiling hot plasma are dumb, then let the dumb inherit the earth

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Reminder: it is super super wasteful that Rey's new saber in Skywalker isn't her merging her staff and Luke/Anakin's saber into a light polearm.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    latest?cb=20111209171427

If Spinny sabers of magnetically contained roiling hot plasma are dumb, then let the dumb inherit the earth

Yes, they are dumb, and this might be a super hot take, but Ill go ahead anyway: Anime/manga is not above dumb weapons concepts.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Reminder: it is super super wasteful that Rey's new saber in Skywalker isn't her merging her staff and Luke/Anakin's saber into a light polearm.

Yeah, I'm pretty bummed about that. Up there with Kylo's helmet getting repaired for hitting a big ol' undo button on the previous movie.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular

Damn right. I think I've complained about that at least 2 or 3 times since the first trailer dropped of Rey flipping over that TIE.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    That's one thing i do love from the ST - Kylo's lightsabre is great. CROSSGUARDS! IT ACTUALLY HAS CROSSGUARDS

...the fact that canonically they're a deisgn flaw just makes me giggle in an immature fashion.

As to dumb lightsabre designs, reminder that the EU had this atrocity:

latest?cb=20090521184317

It's one of the worst designs i've EVER seen. (I can almost, almoooost get behind the idea of some sort of lightsabre katar-style thing. Almost. This though? Hooo boy. Lightsabre knees is not a sentace i should ever have to write, yet here we are)

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I read a lot of the EU, dropping off sometime in the Vong era.

And I have no recollection of this dude.

• Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    I read a lot of the EU, dropping off sometime in the Vong era.

And I have no recollection of this dude.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Irek_Ismaren Is the dood - he's from the Vong era, apperntly. I just adore how daft his design is.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    That's one thing i do love from the ST - Kylo's lightsabre is great. CROSSGUARDS! IT ACTUALLY HAS CROSSGUARDS

...the fact that canonically they're a deisgn flaw just makes me giggle in an immature fashion.

latest?cb=20090521184317

It's one of the worst designs i've EVER seen. (I can almost, almoooost get behind the idea of some sort of lightsabre katar-style thing. Almost. This though? Hooo boy. Lightsabre knees is not a sentace i should ever have to write, yet here we are)

That picture legit made me spit up coffee so thanks! Edge lord saber boi is my new favorite awful thing from the eu.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options

latest?cb=20090521184317

That picture legit made me spit up coffee so thanks! Edge lord saber boi is my new favorite awful thing from the eu.

He's just so amazingly edgelord. The little cybernetic topknot! the utterly arse random spikes on his shoulders! Better have some exposed cabling on one arm too, gotta convey dem cybernetics. Oh, and on the back of the neck, because nothing quite says weak point like having exposed brain cables despite the fact you're 95% body fitting armor plating. on which note SCULPTED CYBERNETIC ABS - this edgy boi lifts, and everyone needs to know it even if he's a horrible mockery of science. The chin plate! The fact that the face is still exposed so we can make sure to see his terrrible scars (i mean, okay, terrible facial diseases are a Sith Thing, but mate, you've gone this far - get you a cool faceplate too. Come on. Vader did it, it was cool when he did and it's still cool)

Then there's just the sheer number of lightsabres. Like how does he fight? I'm assuming his best tactic is actually holding his arms up in front of his face like a boxer protecting himself, and then running at people fast. With sufficent momentum, he should reduce most organics to chunky salsa, and only be moderately inconvenienced when it comes to removing himself from walls of sufficient thickness. The lightsabre knees, what are those for? How do they work? is it a complicated sucidie technique so his honor can remain intact rather than being captured? "You've got me. BETTER KNEE MYSELF IN THE CHEST" Why does he have light sabres coming out of his upper arms? How will those function in any useful fashion? I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The Phantom Menace is probably most important in terms of setting up Palpatine more than anything else

Ol Sheev

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I’m not saying it’s a great idea at all, but, the kneesabres really eliminate any potential this design has.

Maybe the whole is off only two crystals or something, so he can’t ruin them all simultaneously, so he’s always toggling the blades around his body.

• Options
    a lightsaber knee seems fine if it's something you're not, you know, activating constantly and you can just flip it on and off for when you're actually trying to hit something with your knee.

Since then obviously then not only are you kneeing something, but then you're also shoving a roiling hot blade of magnetically contained plasma through said thing.

But just while you're walking is kind of a waste

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    latest?cb=20111209171427

But that mobile suit is piloted by spacenoids opposing the Earth Federation...

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    latest?cb=20111209171427

Whoa now, we've never seen pizza in Star Wars.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    latest?cb=20111209171427

Listen, I'm not saying we support the crazy genocidal space empire

Just steal their shit and fly around in it.

Also: Would Newtypes be Force Sensitive?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    latest?cb=20111209171427

Whoa now, we've never seen pizza in Star Wars.

The term "spacenoid" is used to refer to people who were born and/or raised in outer space. It's derived from "humanoid," because some of the folks up there thought themselves the next step in human evolution.

• Options

I'd have to think so - you've got full on force ghosts and other more mystical elements in the new type power set, alongside being able to cast Summon Gundam (watch unicorn folks, it's good). If you were doing a crossover I'd go as far as saying newtypes and force sensitives are the same base power set turned to different ends

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

I'd have to think so - you've got full on force ghosts and other more mystical elements in the new type power set, alongside being able to cast Summon Gundam (watch unicorn folks, it's good). If you were doing a crossover I'd go as far as saying newtypes and force sensitives are the same base power set turned to different ends

Beam sabers, Minovsky particles to explain why space combat is mostly done at close range, plenty of fascists, and antagonists that wear masks...yeah that checks out.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    7 days and some additional hours away from carnage.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    a lightsaber knee seems fine if it's something you're not, you know, activating constantly and you can just flip it on and off for when you're actually trying to hit something with your knee.

Since then obviously then not only are you kneeing something, but then you're also shoving a roiling hot blade of magnetically contained plasma through said thing.

But just while you're walking is kind of a waste

Just turn me into Lightsaber Hellraiser dude

• Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Beam sabers, Minovsky particles to explain why space combat is mostly done at close range, plenty of fascists, and antagonists that wear masks...yeah that checks out.

Tomino (creator of mobile suit Gundam for anyone not in the know) has always been very clear that star wars was a huge influence on the series.

Which is extra fun given how much Star Wars takes from Japanese media (Vader as an armoured samurai, Akira Kurosawa inspirations etc). Recursive cultural filtering

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I think the spinny lightsabers of the Inquisitors perfectly fit with the Sith ideology, in that you want your underlings to succeed through terror, and you don't want your underlings to have enough power to overthrow you. Rebels leads up to Rogue One with lead up to ANH, so we can guess that the Rebels timeline started roughly 5 years before ANH. By that point, the Jedi were mostly fable and only a handful of Jedi were left in the galaxy. I think the Inquisitors would face off mostly against cult religious cells and untrained force users, so you didn't need weapons capable of winning a lightsaber duel, you just needed to be able to intimidate and/or kill someone vastly inferior to you.

And if an Inquisitor did find an actual Jedi, Vader would know, because his Inquisitor would stop reporting in. Vader could then come in and clean up the mess.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019

latest?cb=20090521184317

What if Shredder from TMNT cross over into Star Wars?

*edit* It is absolutely no surprise that this character was developed in 1995.

Heffling on
  • Options
    Honestly, if you got rid of the silly spikes, cabling and excessive laserblades,gave him a faceplate (maybe even one that left a question of it was Droid or man), it's a redeemable design. You could even keep the idea of the lightsabers but having it so he dual wield and simply stored them in his arms rather than at his belt. Why not?

But then this was never a design that was going to understand less is more. Say what you will, but all the Frontline sith have understood that design princepal - maul, dooku, Vader and Ren are all kick-ass designs, and they're all elegant in their simplicity.

Mauls a particular favorite of mine, actually - his tattoos, eyes, horns are all so gloriously on the nose but in conjunction with his beautifully simple robes it just works

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

latest?cb=20090521184317

XTREEEEM NNNINETIEEEES!

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The latest Rise of Skywalker trailer starts out with what seems like a fairly major spoiler, so if you're planning on going in even slightly blind, maybe don't watch that one.

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    My wife and I just finished our Star Wars marathon: 10 movies in 9 days!

Hot takes: Star Wars, the franchise, is super fun and entertaining. I enjoyed Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith wayyyy more than I thought I would (it had been about 14 years since I had watched any of the prequels). The Phantom Menace is a movie with a great soundtrack.

A+, would watch the entire saga again.

That's my holiday positivity for the thread.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    No lie-at this point I’m becoming extremely interested in learning how Rise can be a definitive ending for the Skywalker Saga while also leaving things open for new Star Wars future trilogies.

I mean my mind goes some immediate places for explanations, but I hope we get something a little more unconventional.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah there's no chance in hell that they don't set up even more movies when this one is done.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I hope it ends with a new Jedi order and peace for a thousand years. The new movies can pick up after that, maybe come up with something original in the setting.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Eh you can have a definitive end of the skywalker saga and still leave plenty of room for more movies. The galaxy is a big place, and not every story has to be "THE GALAXY IS IN PERIL!"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    The latest Rise of Skywalker trailer starts out with what seems like a fairly major spoiler, so if you're planning on going in even slightly blind, maybe don't watch that one.

Thanks for the warning, I think I will do my best to avoid it and go in blind.

Also, just avoid the internet as much as possible. Rumor has it the plot leaked and there are legitimate megaspoilers bouncing around.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Taximes wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »

Thanks for the warning, I think I will do my best to avoid it and go in blind.

Also, just avoid the internet as much as possible. Rumor has it the plot leaked and there are legitimate megaspoilers bouncing around.

John Boyega left his script under his bed and a cleaner found it, put it on ebay. Disney got it back, but I still assume there are spoilers in the wild.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I hope it ends with a new Jedi order and peace for a thousand years. The new movies can pick up after that, maybe come up with something original in the setting.

*laughs in Huttese*

Preacher wrote: »
    Eh you can have a definitive end of the skywalker saga and still leave plenty of room for more movies. The galaxy is a big place, and not every story has to be "THE GALAXY IS IN PERIL!"

*laughs harder in Huttese*

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Heffling wrote: »

latest?cb=20090521184317

XTREEEEM NNNINETIEEEES!

Funnily enough: the character was created in 95, but didn't become that until 2001.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Way Back When, when all we had was the subtitle The Force Awakens, I was pretty into the idea of a new generation of Force-sensitive characters causing various amounts of mayhem and disturbances in a broken post-Empire Galaxy before eventually banding together and then over time becoming torn apart as various characters chose power over good or what have you. Just a good dozen Anakins of varying temperament and conviction having hijinks with ugly aliens, getting mixed up in power struggles, and eventually going to war against eachother, without anyone giving them so much as a pep talk about the Force or what it means to be a Jedi.

I’d still like that version of things. Mind you, I don’t really want Star Wars to become something where only Force users are player characters and everyone else is a mook, npc, or quest giver. I’d like it to be more than laser swords, as the Mandalorian has proven what really shouldn’t have been that outlandish-that Star Wars can work just fine in the absence of destiny-riddled avatars of the Force staring into the middle distance.

But if we’re going anywhere new, I’d love a set of movies about a group that discovers the Force on their own, discovers what they’re capable of through it, and reshape the Galaxy and themselves as a consequence of their callings.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Woah that new trailer.
    I can completely accept Luke going for his lightsaber on instinct when he scanned Ben's head, if he's running into Palpatine in there (even if he clearly didn't realize it)

Dang, I might be brought around on the whole ST by this movie after all.

edit: In judging how spoilery the trailer really might be, consider that the first word of the movie is "At" according to Abrams. The meat of this trailer might be cut from the opening scene of the film.

Kamar on
This discussion has been closed.