As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars] Open TROS Spoilers! Beware!

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Same corporate entity, completely different creative teams.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Super Rogue One

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    It’s a shame Rogue One didn’t do better or we might have gotten Rogue One 2.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Rogue One^2

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »

I can't believe we were denied the opportunity to eventually marathon the full trilogy of movies Rogue One to 3.

• Options
    Too Rogue

• Options
    Too Legit

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Same corporate entity, completely different creative teams.

I also think the corporate team is trying to kill blockbuster movies and going to movie theaters to see them, and move everyone towards streaming media cause it's seemingly cheaper to create content for that.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Disney's biggest problem is that they didn't fall ass backwards into Kevin Feige a second time.

Someone who both has an eye on the general public but is also a fan of the source material and has respect for it specifically and knows what makes it tick.

Instead they bought it and rushed to market trusting that a team of "hit makers" could assemble a trilogy on the fly.

Now in my opinion, only Rise of Skywalker belongs in the bad Star Wars conversation when talking about individual sequel movies.

Like it, Solo and the PT are all individually bad movies. They're not doing anything interesting and they're not even fun to watch.

But even though the prequel trilogy is composed of three bad movies it's a better trilogy then the new films. It has a start and an end and despite a litany of bad decisions and boring film it at least knows where it's going with it's story and characters, at least in the broad strokes.

They should have had Rian Johnson write the third film and had JJ direct it because it probably would have resulted in the most coherent story while keeping the Disney timetable.

I have issues with the Last Jedi but I had no issue where it took TFA's new characters nor what it did with Luke. Where the new principals start and end makes sense post TFA.

JJ apparently hated a movie he didn't sign on to make and trashed it on his way to writing a tire fire.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have the actual story for how various people were added/removed from the ST in general? I've only gotten bits and pieces from various interviews, but never really looked into who was making the hiring/firing decisions and why/when those were made. When was Treverrow hired for #3? When was he fired, and why? When did JJ come back? Who made that decision?

There's so many moving parts in this saga that it's really easy to, for example, just blame Kathy Kennedy for mismanaging it but for all we know she was never the one actually calling the shots. I certainly lay at least some of the blame on her shoulders, but how much is fair given the actual circumstances on the ground?

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Rogue One feels like two movies spliced together, or like there was a fight in the editing room between two people with very different ideas of what the movie should be.

I suspect this is why they didn't just go with what they already had and bring in Ron Howard to finish shooting Solo, but had reportedly had Howard reshoot like 80% of the movie.

• Options
    Rogue One had a lot of reshoots too, if I remember.

It should have been pretty straightforward. “Star Wars heist movie with a big space battle that feels like A New Hope with modern trappings.”

“got it.”

Instead we got a mess that you can squint and make good in your head so it’s not awful but the opportunity was there for a fun, tight movie with a little (ok maybe a lot of) fan service.

• Options
    Mrs. BloodySloth and I were feeling pretty good and Star-Warsy after Rogue One wrapped up so we just went straight into A New Hope. We watched the Disney+ version as my copy of the De-specialized edition is on my laptop which I wanted to use for Planet Zoo. That game is working its roots into me.

Anyway ANH is just a good, simple adventure, well executed. If anything the first act feels a little barren now, but I think it's fun and weird that the two main characters for most of the first half hour are two robots incapable of physically emoting (one doesn't even have a face or a human voice). I still love that the most daring renegade of the group is princess Leia. Also Obi-Wan's reminiscing of the past jives so poorly with the prequel trilogy it's like Lucas didn't even watch his own films before making TPM.

Anyway it's been a while since I watched a version of the OT that wasn't De-specialized, and holy shit the added stuff is awful. The CGI has aged so poorly, if it was ever considered good (I was a kid when the special editions came out and just was not keyed into that sort of thing). The Disney+ version of the infamous Greedo bit has been edited to death at this point and is barely even comprehensible. It's such a shame.

This is all old hat I think at this point so I won't prattle on. Probably leave ESB for another day, but so far, so good.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I have said this multiple times, but Rogue One is (for me) definitionally greater than the sum of its parts.

• Options
    Mrs. BloodySloth and I were feeling pretty good and Star-Warsy after Rogue One wrapped up so we just went straight into A New Hope. We watched the Disney+ version as my copy of the De-specialized edition is on my laptop which I wanted to use for Planet Zoo. That game is working its roots into me.

Anyway ANH is just a good, simple adventure, well executed. If anything the first act feels a little barren now, but I think it's fun and weird that the two main characters for most of the first half hour are two robots incapable of physically emoting (one doesn't even have a face or a human voice). I still love that the most daring renegade of the group is princess Leia. Also Obi-Wan's reminiscing of the past jives so poorly with the prequel trilogy it's like Lucas didn't even watch his own films before making TPM.

Anyway it's been a while since I watched a version of the OT that wasn't De-specialized, and holy shit the added stuff is awful. The CGI has aged so poorly, if it was ever considered good (I was a kid when the special editions came out and just was not keyed into that sort of thing). The Disney+ version of the infamous Greedo bit has been edited to death at this point and is barely even comprehensible. It's such a shame.

This is all old hat I think at this point so I won't prattle on. Probably leave ESB for another day, but so far, so good.

The Special Edition effects have never looked better than they did when that initial trailer came out in 1996 or whoever. It’s been all downhill from there.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Rogue One is a different movie once Jyns father dies - it's a much better one. Her father did not need to be a personal link to Krennec and also the key to the Death Star.

If they had made her dad the architect of the Empires Black ops program (who was trying to defect) you can make Krennec his subordinate who catches him (or frames him even). You then have a built in reason for her skill set without pulling in Saw as a mentor figure.

Make the initial mission to help one of the scientists escape/defect and then proceed the same once they die in the attempt.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    I own one (1) Star Wars movie - TFA

Because the three good Star Wars movies haven't been for sale in 30 years

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    I own one (1) Star Wars movie - TFA

Because the three good Star Wars movies haven't been for sale in 30 years

They are included as extras in some DVD set from a while back. You could always hunt those down. Or get your hands on the despecialized editions.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Spend the energy to get the Despecialized versions. They’re worth it.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    The Limited Edition DVDs from 2006 come with the original theatric versions as a bonus. The problem is that if you have a surround sound system, be prepared to be disappointed. In a fit of what I suspect is spite on Lucas' part, they are only in stereo.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Gyral wrote: »
    The Limited Edition DVDs from 2006 come with the original theatric versions as a bonus. The problem is that if you have a surround sound system, be prepared to be disappointed. In a fit of what I suspect is spite on Lucas' part, they are only in stereo.

I’m pretty sure they’re the laserdisc transfers. They’re not even anamorphic.

• Options
    WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    The thing about Rogue One I liked most, is none of the main cast has plot armor, which makes the Battle of Skariff way more interesting.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Does anyone have the actual story for how various people were added/removed from the ST in general? I've only gotten bits and pieces from various interviews, but never really looked into who was making the hiring/firing decisions and why/when those were made. When was Treverrow hired for #3? When was he fired, and why? When did JJ come back? Who made that decision?

There's so many moving parts in this saga that it's really easy to, for example, just blame Kathy Kennedy for mismanaging it but for all we know she was never the one actually calling the shots. I certainly lay at least some of the blame on her shoulders, but how much is fair given the actual circumstances on the ground?

According to Wikipedia, Trevorrow's involvement was announced in August 2015. He was fired, sorry, he "left because of creative differences" couple of months after the Book of Henry came out. As far as we know, these decisions were made by Kennedy.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    What's holding Disney up on releasing those Original Versions at this point, anyway? Is there any legal issue left I'm not aware of?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    What's holding Disney up on releasing those Original Versions at this point, anyway? Is there any legal issue left I'm not aware of?

According to Lucasfilm, they no longer exist because the process of making the special editions destroyed them or something.

But original prints do exist that high quality masters could be made from. They just don’t want to.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

My understanding is that probably the biggest story is the studio setting specific release targets with no wiggle room or consideration for the creative process. Both Abrams movies were rushed, although TFA got pushed back and apparently improved dramatically because of that.

Anyway, afaik Abrams was tapped for 7, Johnson for 8 and eventually Treverrow for 9. TFA was rushed but got a bit of extra time. Johnson seems to have had the most time to prepare, though he had to do some of it before TFA was even done. AFAIK no real production issues there. For 9 Treverrow got his ass canned after what seems like The Book of Henry making everyone realise he was a bad filmmaker or something. Then he gets quickly replaced by Abrams who had to basically throw the script together and film the thing with what turns out to be I think even less time then he had for 7.

At no point does there seem to have been any sort of over-arcing plan for it all. The assumption seems to have been that each new filmmaker would build on the previous one and sort if all out, the way the OT did.

• Options
    They are just being stubborn.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

According to Lucasfilm, they no longer exist because the process of making the special editions destroyed them or something.

But original prints do exist that high quality masters could be made from. They just don’t want to.

Everyone assumes they gonna milk that cow at some point. I just can't see why they wouldn't if they could.

I half suspect all it's waiting on is Lucas to die.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    The original versions are in the Library of Congress aren't they?

• Options
    Lucas probably has a clause to not release them in the Disney deal.

• Options
    Say what you will about Rogue One but the space battles were top-notch, arguably the best in the entire franchise across all media.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Say what you will about Rogue One but the space battles were top-notch, arguably the best in the entire franchise across all media.

Rogue One is a competent film, it's just a largely boring one. The best part of it is the last 2 minutes featuring a character who hasn't been in the film up to that point.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Rogue One is a top tier Star Wars film, which is amazing given its production issues.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Rogue Two: Many Bothans

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Lucas probably has a clause to not release them in the Disney deal.

Yeah, I fully expect that it will eventually come out that he put a legal clause in the Disney transfer that straight-up forbids remaster releases that undo "his" work, nevermind that the the OT was hugely a collaborative effort between him and several other people.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Rogue One is a top tier Star Wars film, which is amazing given its production issues.

I really love rogue one. Jynn Urso is great. It was a perfect little story.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Everyone assumes they gonna milk that cow at some point. I just can't see why they wouldn't if they could.

I half suspect all it's waiting on is Lucas to die.

The suspicion I heard is they are going for the whole fucking set. Whether it will be 11 movies or 9, I don't know.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Who is Manny Bothans anyways?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    i dunno but i hear he had a bad time

• Options
    IllieasIllieas Registered User regular

in what world did rogue one didn't do well? it made a billion and is projected to box office more than TRoS. Solo tanking was the nail. at least they are making a new series with Cassian.

This discussion has been closed.