Options

PC Games - Adore EA & Corruption 2029 out today!

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

Hm. This is definitely a way better idea than another ARPGMMO, but I gotta say I will miss the Destiny style public zones where you're auto-matched with other players out in the wild. I love that in games.
    But yeah, everything else sounds great, especially offline play. I never got to play the alpha, I wonder if any of the progression they're getting rid of was good.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I think maybe, just maybe, 2019 was enough evidence that "live services" games are a trap, and we might be starting to head back towards games just being a product that you buy and own and can play the whole thing.

What a world.

I still grieve Orks Must Die.

well the good news is that a proper orcs must die 3 is happening

the bad news is that it's a stadia exclusive, at least for now

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    i liked the changes diablo 3 introduced to the arpg formula and i'm not terribly interested in going back.

I don't understand why every other ARPG refuses to let me do anything remotely cool until I've been playing for hours

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    i liked the changes diablo 3 introduced to the arpg formula and i'm not terribly interested in going back.

I don't understand why every other ARPG refuses to let me do anything remotely cool until I've been playing for hours

Don't forget, if you make a mistake in your build, it's time to start over!

Granted, some games are better about respeccing than others. But I never really went back to Diablo 2 because I didn't want to devote that much time to a character that I might have inadvertently fucked up.

• Options
    I think they did eventually introduce respeccing in d2, but I could be wrong

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    I just keep assuming TemTem is by temmie from undertale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne739QUmzWc

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

yeah, it was patched in in 2010, which is insane

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    I just keep assuming TemTem is by temmie from undertale.

Temtemmie need money for accademy

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    GMG Flash Deal Doom Eternal $48

NOTE: Key is for the Bethesda store

Karoz on
  • Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »

yeah, it was patched in in 2010, which is insane

Still seems like a pain to get to, but I guess it's better than nothing.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I think maybe, just maybe, 2019 was enough evidence that "live services" games are a trap, and we might be starting to head back towards games just being a product that you buy and own and can play the whole thing.

What a world.

I still grieve Orks Must Die.

well the good news is that a proper orcs must die 3 is happening

That's good!
    the bad news is that it's a stadia exclusive, at least for now

That's bad!

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    I'm strongly considering taking March 20 off to play Doom Eternal. But also it's a Friday, so I may as well just wait till Saturday to play.

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    xp1b5988gohx.jpg
    If you own Dying Light you can now get Dying Light: Bad Blood for free (Steam, Ps4 or Xbox One):
    https://dockets.dyinglightgame.com/
    You need to register and link your Steam/console account.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I'm strongly considering taking March 20 off to play Doom Eternal. But also it's a Friday, so I may as well just wait till Saturday to play.

Take Monday off, that way any day one patches get taken care of on Friday and you're good to go.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Just quit your job and play Doom... Eternally.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    TemTem sounds like the name of a developer's dog and they probably based it on some obscure animes.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »
    I started to play Oxygen Not Included (bought it last year on sale), and I love the aesthetic, but as God is my witness I have not the faintest idea what I'm doing. Can anyone recommend me a tutorial playthrough thing, because I'm just not getting it?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6mh1Um7y3A

I had heard this dude was endorsed by Klei as being a good source of information. I havent watched it myself.

Also if you have specific questions you need help with we have Got a thread

Thanks, I am old now and the parts of my brain that used to be good at learning new games are now mostly occupied with judging young people and being disappointed that beer doesn't taste as remotely good as it used to when I was 22.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular

I never got around to playing Diablo 3 but have been thinking about picking it up, what kind of changes do you mean?

sig.gif
  • Options
    you also don't put any points into stats, which rules

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

I never got around to playing Diablo 3 but have been thinking about picking it up, what kind of changes do you mean?

primarily the skill system. diablo 2 style skill systems where you have to put points into skills just don't hold up anymore imo. diablo 3 just gates the skills by level, and when you get to the end you have everything but can only use a subset at a time, letting you free to experiment or use what you want, while also giving you a nice ramp to see all the skills throughout your leveling time.

i know a loud portion of the internet hated it but i thought it was really great.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Kamiro wrote: »

You don't put any points in skills. You have access to every skill/variant by the time you max out your character's level. Though these are limited to slots, so Left click can only pick from these 4 skills while right click has 4 other skills, etc. So you can switch up your skills based on what feels best for your and if you get a sweet legendary that boosts a certain skill, you can switch to that whenever.

Also you can turn on elective mode, which lets you assign any skill to any slot.

And there are passive skills - I want to say that once you're maxed you can have like 4 passive skills equipped at once?

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I can't imagine playing D3 without elective mode.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    The steam store page for Subnautica Below Zero says 1.0 releases on January 30th... is that... true??

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Baidol wrote: »

I don't think I've done that since the beta

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Yeah, I’ve kind of learned I don’t really care about the sort of skill point and stat point systems in ARPGs. I feel like that frequently incentivizes dumping points into one active skill and focusing a bunch on more on passive buffs and long cool down skills for the rest? It’s an avoidable design pitfall, but a lot of games in that style don’t seem interested in avoiding it?

Like I recall when playing Torchlight 2 one of the sillier things design wise was that ideal builds for a lot of characters was one point in your basic resourceless spammy attack, then a bunch of passive bonuses and cool downs. I don’t know if they ever patched this or anything, but I recall at the time they assured people who liked that design direction that they weren’t interested in balance and I kind of mentally checked out. I also recall some other silliness, like I was playing a... uh... wanna day Outrider or something? Sort of rogue-ish gunslinger class, and they had a build where you killed enemies and spawned minions from it and I enjoyed it, but it just didn’t scale well without gear with pet buffs on it. Which was... not great since it was hard to find while leveling and also left your actual character weak?

Comparatively D3 did very well in terms of allowing me to mix in different skills if I want and making just everything scale off of your stats. Even at high levels I’m generally using a lot of different skills even if I have a primary damage dealer. And I can go pets and still have stuff to do if I want, especially since you can command most of them. And high level gear sets and legendaries provide some crazy buffs that can dramatically change up how I play. Plus no stats to allocate! I hate that. It’s rarely interesting. It’s too bad I’m kind of done with Blizzard for the moment, as a lot of indie developers in the genre still seem really stuck on D2.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Baidol wrote: »

I don't think I've done that since the beta

I've done it a few times, but I think it's sub-optimal unless you know EXACTLY what you're trying to do

But there is a sense of satisfaction in just unloading a bunch of ridiculous long-cooldown abilities at the boss at the end of a nephalem rift or something

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    The steam store page for Subnautica Below Zero says 1.0 releases on January 30th... is that... true??

I don't think so, since January 30th is exactly a year after they entered Early Access. Sounds like a placeholder to me. Especially since that post about throwing out the narrative and starting over with a new writer was only like two months ago.

Sounds like the world is mostly complete, but I'd be surprised if writing, scripting, and polishing an entirely new story was a two-month job.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    That all sounds interesting about D3, I'll have to check it out at some point. But I guess I can kind of see why people might not like it, it kind of seems like they're removing the last remnants of rpg system to make it a more pure action game.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Lalabox wrote: »
    so im playing through sleeping dogs again because yakuza 0 gave me the itch and it's still good and it's still satisfying to go back and make sure i'm still number 1 with the clean driving record

What is your clean driving record? I got up to like eighteen minutes once and then a friend from here jacked it up to half an hour and I felt thoroughly outclassed

it is enough for me to be undefeated in my friends group and i have no intention of competing against the entire forum

so long as the game says i'm number one i'm not gonna ruin that

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I’ve tried giving Torchlight 1 and 2 each a fair try, but the problem is I boot them up, play them a while, and realize they make me want to play Diablo instead. I suspect Torchlight 3 will have the same effect.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    One of the classes in Torchlight 3 is an engineer that lays tracks for a Battle Train. I'm not usually an ARPG guy but it sounds pretty awesome.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    This past weekend, I dug into some of the games I'd received as part of a bundle. The first one I tried was Age of Wonders 3. I started with the High Elf beginner campaign as recommended and it seemed okayish. What made me stop is after doing the first mission and playing some of the second mission, I realized that my leader, units, and research basically reset between missions. After I realized that, it was hard for me to continue, because I've played other games which handle the combat and much of the resource gathering in a more elegant fashion and it felt like I was putting a lot into the research and leader upgrades that were pretty much meaningless and I'd be better served by figuring out a rush option that mostly disregarded the RPG elements in order to finish the map and missions asap.

I did have some second thoughts about this and I'm wondering if there is some persistence in the RPG elements between missions, but the first mission just counts as a tutorial and therefore things do not carry over.

The urge for some continuity flavoured RPG elements combined with RTS/TBS made me reinstall Spellforce 1. I got this janky game a while back in a bundle or on a deep discount. The artwork for this game is extremely horny and it is hilarious to me how much divergent it is from the in-game early 2000s blocky models with smeared on textures. The story to this game is a mid-tier D&D homebrew world level. Sadly, so are the writing, voice acting, and characterizations.

The actual gameplay elements have some satisfying features and some frustrating features. I enjoy the idea of having an Avatar and special hero units you can unlock combined with RTS elements. The narrative explanation for how the RTS base building mechanics work in-world is actually pretty good. The controls on the other hand are not good. The RTS units really need the basic Starcraft 1 level of commands. The game also urgently needs a "Spacebar = pause" feature if it is going to use the type of click and interact spellcasting/combat system they have, or it needs an overhaul of the spellcasting/combat system to work within the RTS framework. I spend far too much time fighting my units. There is no hold position command, which means that if I leave my units unattended, they will quickly trickle their way across the whole map when a stringed out enemy formation marches in clumps towards my frontlines. This in turn causes my units to get wiped out quickly. My casters always want to wade into the thick of things and hit the enemy with a stick for minimum damage, rather than staying at range and blasting. There's also a weird obfuscation of information, such that the game give you very little feedback as to how much damage different units do and if they are strong or weak against different types of targets.

The avatar commands are also similarly frustrating. The spellcasting interface works okay when you are fighting 1 or 2 targets and nothing else is happening. However encounters frequently involve 20+ units on both sides, and may involve multiple casters on each side as well. Also, while most of the troops want to madly scream and charge across the map to their death, the hero avatar for whatever reason appears to have a permanent "Hold Position, Do Not Attack" function on and will only retaliate on enemies that hit the avatar in melee range. More granularity in controls is really needed here.

Also, the game speed is really slow. Because of the difficulty in controlling the units, the slower speed is appreciated in combat, but the maps the combat take place on are huge and you'll spend multiple minutes watching your units march from one side of the map and back multiple times in a mission dealing with the RPG elements.

As is common with games of this era, it direly needs a respec option, because the RPG character growth elements mean it is pretty easy to create a useless character.

Still, there's some decent ideas here, I just wish it was more competently implemented. The amount of time it takes to complete the missions, the fiddliness of the controls, and the rather dire writing (it's all the fault of the "Evilgods", proper noun) means that I'm probably not going to finish this game and will probably put it back on the shelf for good. For anyone familiar with the game, are you aware of any other games that handle the RPG + RTS with persistent features between missions in a more sophisticated and less frustrating form?

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

I don't think so, since January 30th is exactly a year after they entered Early Access. Sounds like a placeholder to me. Especially since that post about throwing out the narrative and starting over with a new writer was only like two months ago.

Sounds like the world is mostly complete, but I'd be surprised if writing, scripting, and polishing an entirely new story was a two-month job.

more importantly, the release date says Jan 30, 2019.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I picked up Between the Stars on GoG and oh man this is the kind of space game I've been craving for a while. I started off after the prologue in basically a converted cargo hauler that I used as a guided missile frigate, but last night I got my first destroyer and oh man oh man the pew pew is strong.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    I’ve tried giving Torchlight 1 and 2 each a fair try, but the problem is I boot them up, play them a while, and realize they make me want to play Diablo instead. I suspect Torchlight 3 will have the same effect.

Well I just found out Torchlight 3 is a thing. The Torchlight 1 & 2 devs Runic got shut down a few years ago, I hope the new studio does as good a job as Runic did with 1 & 2.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Torchlight 1 had balance issues. Were they ever fixed? I recall getting 1-shotted by something beyond the edge of the screen and it just made me ragequit the last time I tried playing.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I watched a university flatmate spend so much time in Spellforce 2.

Extremely large maps, slowly clearing each for maximum cp and loot.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I still like d2s skill system cause it's less reliant on getting loot to potentially mess around with some skills or builds you want

D3 rules and granted I haven't played it in forever and this is based off the dumb early torment where your dps and resilience basically dictated what you had to use or what you could

I'm not a fan of farming items to use a skill set (also prevalent in d2 don't get me wrong)

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    That all sounds interesting about D3, I'll have to check it out at some point. But I guess I can kind of see why people might not like it, it kind of seems like they're removing the last remnants of rpg system to make it a more pure action game.

D3's stats come down almost entirely down to gear, you get a generic character boost based on paragon levels, but that's kinda it.

The last several years of D3 have seen specific developer-designed set items become the defining gear in the game, so each class has 4 different builds, and those are really the only viable options if you want to dive into the hardest endgame content.

img]jPzWiNHm.png
    wgMEBNrm.png
    N4MlSinm.png

they keep multiplying the damage bonuses by crazy numbers, which has led to played using pretty much only those sets, since no other items even come close

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    my issue with torchlight 2 was that I got to a point where it was just too hard. Like I spent my skill points wrong or something and there was no way to respec. So I was like oh ok I guess I’m done then.

This discussion has been closed.