Options

PC Games - Adore EA & Corruption 2029 out today!

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I don't know if the story in d4 is going to be better, but with Metzen's departure I think that's definitely possible, and it should at least be different

Shorty on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    So, your character never changes or gets access to new stuff?

Sounds hella boring.

What if they change or get access to new stuff through story events?

Like, you don't gain skills just because you killed eighty goblins, but if you find the secret temple of the old gods, then you can learn how to turn into a bear.

I don't really see the material difference here - it's a leveling system either way.

There's a couple of things, in my mind, that distinguish it.

First off, the idea of putting story before mechanical systems is just one that I find stronger. It suggests that the way to engage with the game is to explore and to engage with the story, rather than aim for mechanical optimization or something similar. This is a matter of personal appeal, of course, but I find that this sort of thing changes how I interact with the game itself.

Second, leveling implies, to me at least, the idea of numbers going up. This isn't always true, of course, but I think it is generally assumed when you level up your attacks are going to do more damage and you're going to have more hit points and so on and so forth. Whereas this system wouldn't have that, it would just have a broadening of your skill set, which can be adjusted to your own taste.

Third, as a part of that adjusting to your own taste, there is a way to do it so that it isn't necessary to gain the ability to turn into a bear. Maybe you don't particularly want to turn into a bear, or maybe you want to do something else more, or maybe you just want to run headlong down the main quest line, using only the ability to swing around the sword that you picked up at the beginning of the game. That might be more difficult than if you could turn into a bear somewhere along the way, but not because you're underleveled or whatever, it would be because turning into a bear is a useful option to have when you get to the Bear Fighting Arena part of the story.

It worked for Mega Man.

I mean yeah, essentially. That's not the specific example I was thinking of, but it might be a better one honestly.

Give me a story based RPG with Mega Man "advancement" mechanics.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    And hey maybe they can remove that constant nasty sexism while they're at it

As someone who barely paid attention to the plot, would you be able to expand on this?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

As someone who barely paid attention to the plot, would you be able to expand on this?

Honestly, after all these years I'd have to play story mode again and I don't know if I can do that. But lots of fridging women, no women in positions of power, lots of gender stereotypes; some really male-gaze costumes and most of the main female characters are irrevocably evil.

Except the player character that is; they stay remarkably neutral.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    what the fuck did they do to my homegirl Adria

you think y'all slick with your bullshit twist

• Options
    nothing happened in that game that wasn't obvious and lazy

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    once there was a sexy spider demon and she said sexual innuendos at you about killing and fucking

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Diablo 3 felt like a Saturday morning cartoon without the charm. Oh this super-poweful demon will destroy you easily! Wait, nevermind, the NEXT demon....

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Battlefield V – Into the Jungle Overview Trailer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX8dswSDQqM

Tom Clancy’s The Division 2: Episode 3 Story Trailer | Ubisoft [NA]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlhcVB-6RRs

lolwhut
    Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Breakpoint: The Terminator Event Trailer | Ubisoft [NA]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGFaAFDTips

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    What is Vulkan? Some kind of graphics thing?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Vulkan is an alternative to DirectX that has some speed advantages (less than it used to) that AMD cards in particular seem to like. It was prominently used in DOOM to great effect

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    I would describe Diablo 3 as the worst game I've ever not been able to put down for a few days.

Same, but Destiny instead.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    game designer rooms across the country for the last decade: and OBVIOUSLY there has to be a spider who says she's gonna fuckkill you

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    WC3 reforged out this week... I have a very weak interest in trying to become proficient online. if anyone is at that noob level and wants to 1v1 or maybe team up for team battles feel free to DM me. i can't play OFTEN, but once a week maybe would be nifty

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    WC3 reforged out this week... I have a very weak interest in trying to become proficient online. if anyone is at that noob level and wants to 1v1 or maybe team up for team battles feel free to DM me. i can't play OFTEN, but once a week maybe would be nifty

Is it multiplayer compatible with the original version like Starcraft Remastered is?

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    A duck! wrote: »
    Diablo 3 felt like a Saturday morning cartoon without the charm. Oh this super-poweful demon will destroy you easily! Wait, nevermind, the NEXT demon....

It's just the same thing Borderlands 2 did with Handsome Jack, except without "jokes". The big bad enemy keeps calling you on the phone to tell you how much they don't care about you and how nonthreatening you are, how you'll totally never beat this next challenge. Like they have nothing better to do with their time than to personally verbally snipe at you.

Aistan on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »

Is it multiplayer compatible with the original version like Starcraft Remastered is?

my understanding is there is no original version anymore on a technical sense

there is the reforged client. if you have a valid license key for WC3, you can play the new client with the old graphics turned on via the launcher.

if you buy reforged, that unlocks the new graphics. but everyone must now play WC3 via the new EXE and new menus..

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »

It's just the same thing Borderlands 2 did with Handsome Jack, except without "jokes". The big bad enemy keeps calling you on the phone to tell you how much they don't care about you and how nonthreatening you are, how you'll totally never beat this next challenge. Like they have nothing better to do with their time than to personally verbally snipe at you.

Sure but HJ wasn't constantly going on about how great his blow jobs are.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    If he's supposed to be so darn handsome then why the hell wasn't he?

• Options
    what

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

On the other hand, Butt Stallion.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

On the other hand, Butt Stallion.

now now we all know butt stallion was meant to be an insult although every damn one of us would have loved it to be our given birth name

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    what

let me tell you at length about handsome jack's blow jobs

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    No, thank you.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Imagine him sliding the mask up and down. Two sets of lips to handsome jack you off

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Butt Stalion was dumb in Borderlands 2

Butt Stalion was great in Tales From the Borderlands

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

Honestly, after all these years I'd have to play story mode again and I don't know if I can do that. But lots of fridging women, no women in positions of power, lots of gender stereotypes; some really male-gaze costumes and most of the main female characters are irrevocably evil.

Except the player character that is; they stay remarkably neutral.

that one incredibly horny spider boss

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    you can tell Claudia Black is a consummate professional because she managed to say "I eat you now" in a sexy voice without laughing at least a single time

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I can't remember that spider boss. I can remember almost nothing about Diablo 3

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The midboss of Act 3 is a succubus spiderqueen.

You probably don't remember her because she tends to die in 2 seconds.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    All I remember is hearing the line "This fetid air fills my ravaged lungs!" and laughing really hard and turning the game off and never coming back

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I think I should do a Diablo 1-3 run just so I can immerse myself in all the lore.

sig.gif
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    So at some point between constant reloads due to bullshit-feeling deaths and frequent crashing caused by said reloads, I realized that I kind of hate Witcher 2, guys. Like a lot.

The idea that anyone anywhere at any time thought this was a better game than the first is actually incomprehensible to me. Like I try to allow for different strokes and I'm fully aware that my tastes are kind of off to the side of a lot of people's but I just can't put myself in the headspace of imagining how this is fun at all, much less superior to the straightforward simplicity of the first game, or even Dragon Age II, which came out at the same time as this and got pilloried for not being a shining triumph of gaming the way this was.

The combat is incredibly clumsy; a huge portion of winning is about staying mobile and getting behind enemies, so of course instead of taking place in spaces where that would work, most fights take place in cramped rooms or debris-strewn battlefields where you dodgeroll away from an attack and fetch up against a wall (or worse, an invisible wall) at which point Geralt comes out of the animation just standing there facing the wall so bad guys can surround and kill him in two hits. The lock-on feature doesn't work half the time, so you find yourself swinging away at the air. Big fights are prefaced with unskippable cutscenes, and then when you come out of the cutscene Geralt is standing placidly, in non-combat mode, a foot in front of the boss.

One of the elements of the first game that I really liked, the monster-hunting, is barely present. With only a few exceptions, monsters are either trash mobs that populate the various stages and serve as obstacles as you explore the world, or they're heavily scripted boss fights where success hinges on your ability to do a QTE or to just avoid dying until the next cutscene.

Geralt feels weak, constantly, even two-thirds of the way into the game, even with every sidequest completed, even with literally the best sword and armor currently available. In the first game, he was vulnerable if caught unprepared, and then very strong if you were prepared. In this, the difference between prepared/unprepared is infinitesimal; having a couple potions going gives you suck up maybe one or two more arbitrary-feeling sword hits or monster punches before going down.

Then, when you die, the game stands a decent chance of just crashing to desktop on a reload.

I really don't like it!

Even the story, which I initially enjoyed, is weakening. Unlike the first game (I'm sorry I keep beating this drum but it's true) which gave tough choices between two awful alternatives but also eased off the throttle to mix things up with some sympathetic characters or straightforward conflicts, this game just surrounds you with an almost unbroken chain of venal, terrible characters whose relationship to Geralt turns from enmity to wary friendship and back again on a dime for very disconnected, arbitrary-feeling reasons.

The pacing is staccato, with not much happening for the bulk of a "chapter" and then tons of things crowding in at the end, piling up such that the various plot twists and revelations don't get time to breathe. This was actually somewhat the case in the first game as well so I'm beginning to assume it's just a CDPR thing.

I'm going to persist because I'm 2/3 of the way through and I want to have a game to bring into W3, but right now I honestly can't imagine I'll return to this except perhaps with the most absolute bullshit cheats and mods so I can just blitz the story path I didn't take. It's not a game I'm really interested in ever engaging with again on its own terms.

• Options
    I don't disagree with most of that but I recall thinking that the reception for Witcher 2 was "this is a flawed iteration" not "this is a shining triumph of gaming"

I don't think there was any consensus that looked like that until the third game

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Ahhhh! This fetid air fills my ravaged lungs! What scrumtulent putresence!

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    I think I should do a Diablo 1-3 run just so I can immerse myself in all the lore.

diablo 1 is weird because most of the lore in that game is in the manual

there's very little actual writing in the game proper

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Maybe now that Disco Elysium's a big thing they'll finally do a Fallen London cRPG like that

have your Shadowy and Dangerous talk to your Ruthless and Melancholy, shit I dunno

It seems like the logical direction to do a full Fallen London RPG in

And like I've enjoyed the Sunless series, but I would be very interested to see a new direction

oh man, I would love a straight Fallen London RPG in the Disco Elysium vein. The devs have said often, and I get where they're coming from, that as it currently stands FL is not a game that's possible to port to a singleplayer experience or an offline mode or whatever. Too much of it is built around the pacing mechanic of slowly-recharging energy and chipping away at cliff-high difficulties, even though those things are terrible.

But I think a remake would be an excellent idea. The core premise of the game, where you're some random person from the surface who ends up in this world and has to navigate it in a very rags-to-riches sort of way, is great. Just do that and re-tell some of the great iconic FL stories like Jack-of-Smiles or the devil & the lounge singer and maybe they could get really daring and have an actual ending

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Diablo 1 is incredibly minimalist. It's a completely different kind of game from Diablo 2 and 3.

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    I don't disagree with most of that but I recall thinking that the reception for Witcher 2 was "this is a flawed iteration" not "this is a shining triumph of gaming"

I don't think there was any consensus that looked like that until the third game

i think not having played it at the time my impression is circa the dragon age ii threads back then where it was the like, johnny-do that people who hated da2 would point to while itemizing that game's flaws

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I think Fallen London is very adaptable, youd need some strong coherent art direction and like a budget but man I think you could do any old thing you please with it

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
This discussion has been closed.