Options

PC Games - Adore EA & Corruption 2029 out today!

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    So, your character never changes or gets access to new stuff?

Sounds hella boring.

What if they change or get access to new stuff through story events?

Like, you don't gain skills just because you killed eighty goblins, but if you find the secret temple of the old gods, then you can learn how to turn into a bear.

I don't really see the material difference here - it's a leveling system either way.

i guess it's just preference. seeing numbers go up versus unlocking stuff via story.

gimme dat crunch tho

I like leveling and getting new skills and stuff, but I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate randomized loot. I don't want to compare two pieces of gear with like 20 different stats each to try and parse if one gives me 0.000001% better DPS, that's fucking stupid and boring.

i love randomized loot unless it comes in an overwhelming stream and the stats are too obtuse to understand.

I'm looking at you, Warhammer 40K: Martyr

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Sounds hella boring.

Like, you don't gain skills just because you killed eighty goblins, but if you find the secret temple of the old gods, then you can learn how to turn into a bear.

I don't really see the material difference here - it's a leveling system either way.

There's a couple of things, in my mind, that distinguish it.

First off, the idea of putting story before mechanical systems is just one that I find stronger. It suggests that the way to engage with the game is to explore and to engage with the story, rather than aim for mechanical optimization or something similar. This is a matter of personal appeal, of course, but I find that this sort of thing changes how I interact with the game itself.

Second, leveling implies, to me at least, the idea of numbers going up. This isn't always true, of course, but I think it is generally assumed when you level up your attacks are going to do more damage and you're going to have more hit points and so on and so forth. Whereas this system wouldn't have that, it would just have a broadening of your skill set, which can be adjusted to your own taste.

Third, as a part of that adjusting to your own taste, there is a way to do it so that it isn't necessary to gain the ability to turn into a bear. Maybe you don't particularly want to turn into a bear, or maybe you want to do something else more, or maybe you just want to run headlong down the main quest line, using only the ability to swing around the sword that you picked up at the beginning of the game. That might be more difficult than if you could turn into a bear somewhere along the way, but not because you're underleveled or whatever, it would be because turning into a bear is a useful option to have when you get to the Bear Fighting Arena part of the story.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    That all sounds interesting about D3, I'll have to check it out at some point. But I guess I can kind of see why people might not like it, it kind of seems like they're removing the last remnants of rpg system to make it a more pure action game.

D3's stats come down almost entirely down to gear, you get a generic character boost based on paragon levels, but that's kinda it.

The last several years of D3 have seen specific developer-designed set items become the defining gear in the game, so each class has 4 different builds, and those are really the only viable options if you want to dive into the hardest endgame content.

[snipped images]
    they keep multiplying the damage bonuses by crazy numbers, which has led to played using pretty much only those sets, since no other items even come close
    There's a two-ring set in the game with the set bonus "If this is your only set bonus, gain +X% damage and +Y% defense for every ancient legendary you have equipped" (ancient legendaries are legendaries with higher stats. Like legendaries+, if you will). This was supposed to be an alternative to using sets, letting people mix and match whatever legendaries they wanted, but it didn't take off in practice.

A recent patch introduced a legendary gem (these are unique gems with special abilities attached to them, as opposed to stat bonuses; you can equip three of them, one per piece of jewelry) that has the effect "If you have no set bonuses, gain +X% damage and +Y% defense for every legendary you have equipped and +2*X% damage and +2*Y% defense for every ancient legendary you have equipped", and my impression is that this is way more viable than the two-ring set. I'm not sure if it's truly competitive with the 6-piece set bonuses, and I don't think that each class has combinations of legendaries that can really gel together into a build, but I think it's definitely opened up some fun builds that were just completely non-starters before.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I would describe Diablo 3 as the worst game I've ever not been able to put down for a few days.

One thing that really shat me off about it was no matter how much I levelled up, if I travelled back to an old area the monsters levelled up too and it was just a matter of clicking 8 billion times to kill anything. Click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click "Oh hey babe are you playing that devil game again?" "Yeah that's the one." Click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click...

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The worst game Ive played a lot hmmm

Fallen London?? That shits so bad it might not even count, Empire: Total War maybe probably

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    What about Napoleon Total War

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Also sorry but fallen london continues to be Very Good, Actually

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think the worst game I've played a lot of is Divinity: Original Sin, but I recognize that's a controversial opinion

There's fifty hours of Huniepop play logged on my Steam account, which wasn't actually me playing but I believe I am morally culpable for

• Options
    If Fallen London is a very good game then there is no such thing as a game that is not very good

• Options
    If Fallen London is a very good game then there is no such thing as a game that is not very good

counterpoint: Hatred

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

Sounds hella boring.

i guess it's just preference. seeing numbers go up versus unlocking stuff via story.

gimme dat crunch tho

I like leveling and getting new skills and stuff, but I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate randomized loot. I don't want to compare two pieces of gear with like 20 different stats each to try and parse if one gives me 0.000001% better DPS, that's fucking stupid and boring.

i love randomized loot unless it comes in an overwhelming stream and the stats are too obtuse to understand.

I'm looking at you, Warhammer 40K: Martyr

I just don't want to look at, say, two swords and each one has like a bunch of different stats and then do a bunch of complicated maths to figure out one is maybe slightly, almost imperceptibly, better than the other. Just nah, I'll vendor everything instead until I find something that's obviously better.

While I can't stand JRPGs anymore, at least the old ones I played back in the day let you know that if you found a new weapon or something, it was a guaranteed upgrade from whatever you were using.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options

counterpoint: Hatred

Why sully yourself with such a reference

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I would describe Diablo 3 as the worst game I've ever not been able to put down for a few days.

have you played Borderlands

because I am 200 hours deep in this shit and it just keeps... referencing memes

god I wish I could quit this crack

just gotta get a legendary McGuffin rifle with perfect rolls and annointed stats and then I can quit

Brolo on
  • Options
    Brolo wrote: »

have you played Borderlands

because I am 200 hours deep in this shit and it just keeps... referencing memes

god I wish I could quit this crack

i have a 12 step program for that

i knock on the door, you open it, i walk in 12 steps and then proceed to slap you silly

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I am interested in why Hobnail hates Fallen London

• Options
    I am sorry for your Borderlands problem but I will not judge you for it

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I just enjoyed Diablo 1 the most, but mostly cause of nostalgia.

But probably cause it didn't have a worthless desert act.

And I'm a guy who enjoyed Desolace pre-Cata in WoW.

Karoz on
  • Options
    Karoz wrote: »

omg lord jesus in heaven spare me from anymore desert levels

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

I used to borrow my cousin's Diablo strategy guide on the school bus and pore over the loot tables in the back. I probably thought about that game way more than I actually played it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Who's hobnail? Relative of Schmimpy's?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milski wrote: »

waifu/maid or so i understand

• Options
    milski wrote: »

waifu/maid or so i understand

the tsun to their dere

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    I like D2's desert zone, but more for the vibe than the gameplay. Act 3 for life

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    edited January 2020
    el_vicio wrote: »
    I like D2's desert zone, but more for the vibe than the gameplay. Act 3 for life

The beetle tunnels in act 2 were the fucking worst

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options

I'm sorry it's not a very interesting take, I just think the "game" part is abjectly terrible with the waiting for turns and the failure rates and the endless endless grinding and the bewildering menus and stat tracking and quest tracking and the prices on paid storylines on and on and on.

I've tried to get a couple friends into it just because I thought they would enjoy the writing, and they did, they just couldnt be asked to deal with all the dreadful chaff.

This all said I've been playing it for years and obliterated my first character over a quest line that has my favourite game writing hands down, it made my brain tingle and heart ache, here is my second character feel free to add me could really use somebody to come teach devil magic at my orphanage!!!

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I also hated Arcane Sanctuary, with the possibility of having 3 dead ends, it was painful.

That bug infested lair in the D1 expansion was pretty painful as well.

• Options

I'm sorry it's not a very interesting take, I just think the "game" part is abjectly terrible with the waiting for turns and the failure rates and the endless endless grinding and the bewildering menus and stat tracking and quest tracking and the prices on paid storylines on and on and on.

I've tried to get a couple friends into it just because I thought they would enjoy the writing, and they did, they just couldnt be asked to deal with all the dreadful chaff.

This all said I've been playing it for years and obliterated my first character over a quest line that has my favourite game writing hands down, it made my brain tingle and heart ache, here is my second character feel free to add me could really use somebody to come teach devil magic at my orphanage!!!

I'll send you a card and an invite when I'm not on mobile; I'm an Agent though so no devil magic for your motley urchins I'm afraid

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    For me the best Diablo was the first one, I really like the rogue-like mechanics which the sequels shifted away from entirely

did they tho? i mean every area was randomly generated in 2 and 3 except for a few set pieces

That was neat but the inclusion of skill trees and focus on loot drops from enemies made the feature feel pretty cosmetic compared to the original game
    It's kinda like Alien and Aliens I suppose
    I am not dissing on the sequel (Diablo 2) though, it's better in every other aspect

• Options
    Oh cool I could really use a Midnighter to come teach, uh, Midnighter stuff at my orphanage

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    I also hated Arcane Sanctuary, with the possibility of having 3 dead ends, it was painful.

That bug infested lair in the D1 expansion was pretty painful as well.

As a barbarian with leap I loved the arcane sanctuary, you could really cheese the hell out of it.

• Options
    Agent dawg, I'm no Bazaar pawn

That's right, I am staying at a tier 2 profession for lore reasons

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Oh right

Yeah you're fuckin deep in it

You know eventually theyll do them Tier 4's and then we'll see somethin, that'll be somethin!! I dunno maybe they actually will I was fairly surprised by the ambitions getting done up

Hobnail on
  • Options
    Maybe now that Disco Elysium's a big thing they'll finally do a Fallen London cRPG like that

have your Shadowy and Dangerous talk to your Ruthless and Melancholy, shit I dunno

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Maybe now that Disco Elysium's a big thing they'll finally do a Fallen London cRPG like that

have your Shadowy and Dangerous talk to your Ruthless and Melancholy, shit I dunno

It seems like the logical direction to do a full Fallen London RPG in

And like I've enjoyed the Sunless series, but I would be very interested to see a new direction

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

The reader's imagination does so much of the heavy lifting in the FL-verse that I'm not sure how smoothly it would adapt to even a weirdo cRPG

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

One thing that really shat me off about it was no matter how much I levelled up, if I travelled back to an old area the monsters levelled up too and it was just a matter of clicking 8 billion times to kill anything. Click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click "Oh hey babe are you playing that devil game again?" "Yeah that's the one." Click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click...

now let me tell you about Thorns builds

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The pipe dream is AAA budget treatment with Failbetter writing, man that giant gaslit spook em up cave city would look fuckin amazing with a hundred million dollars dumped all over it

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular

Sounds hella boring.

There's a couple of things, in my mind, that distinguish it.

First off, the idea of putting story before mechanical systems is just one that I find stronger. It suggests that the way to engage with the game is to explore and to engage with the story, rather than aim for mechanical optimization or something similar. This is a matter of personal appeal, of course, but I find that this sort of thing changes how I interact with the game itself.

Second, leveling implies, to me at least, the idea of numbers going up. This isn't always true, of course, but I think it is generally assumed when you level up your attacks are going to do more damage and you're going to have more hit points and so on and so forth. Whereas this system wouldn't have that, it would just have a broadening of your skill set, which can be adjusted to your own taste.

Third, as a part of that adjusting to your own taste, there is a way to do it so that it isn't necessary to gain the ability to turn into a bear. Maybe you don't particularly want to turn into a bear, or maybe you want to do something else more, or maybe you just want to run headlong down the main quest line, using only the ability to swing around the sword that you picked up at the beginning of the game. That might be more difficult than if you could turn into a bear somewhere along the way, but not because you're underleveled or whatever, it would be because turning into a bear is a useful option to have when you get to the Bear Fighting Arena part of the story.

It worked for Mega Man.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Diablo 3 has almost no animation priority, which makes it feel really snappy .

The set bonuses are a design dead end.
    They do allow for very varied playstyles by boosting certain 2 or 3 skill combos sky high while not boosting other combos, which allows for subclasses more or less.
    But they take out 90% of build creativity as they do it.
    LoN builds are weird because they are potentially quite powerful but almost only at extreme levels of farming.

The way the treadmill is in the later seasons is pretty nice too. There's challenging content for a long stretch of time investment.
    The main downside is that both grifts and rifts could have far more varied content.

What I hope they take into D4
    -Animation/movement
    -Every Legendary has a Unique effect
    -Coop with big power difference is no big deal because the grouping bonus is better than the time lost to fighting harder enemies.

What needs change
    - Story
    - Find a way to have more build variety
    - Work on inventory Sorting/judging 95% junk is tedious

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    And hey maybe they can remove that constant nasty sexism while they're at it

This discussion has been closed.