Options

everyone's back at their [job] and it's THE WORST

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Wait, North Carolina let's you have 8 characters in a licence plate?

SEND NUDE

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    just the one nude

be tasteful

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i don't want to be greedy

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Was dismissed from jury duty after 3 hours. So time for tacos and beer?

oh h*ck
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    When I did jury duty, they would note what time you were dismissed, so if you needed it for work, you couldn't claim the whole day.
    Fortunately, my work didn't ask for the form

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Carpy wrote: »
    Wait, North Carolina let's you have 8 characters in a licence plate?

SEND NUDE

1 347 455

or for those of you not nerdy enough to figure that out, "I EAT ASS"

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    When I did jury duty, they would note what time you were dismissed, so if you needed it for work, you couldn't claim the whole day.

Jury duty for me in California sucked. You're on for a week once a year if you're summoned. Somehow I got summoned as soon as I became eligible again for 6 straight years. I lived and worked in a camp in the mountains with a bunch of other people, most of whom were never called, and those that were never more than once or twice.

So it works like this, I had to check the website or call in after work every evening to see if I had to go down to the courthouse. Only once did I make it the entire week without having to make the journey. When called to appear, I had to be at the courthouse by 8am. But the courthouse was 2 hours away by car without traffic. Not having a car was not valid enough reason to get waived "Because jurors get free buss passes." Well there's no buses that run up to the middle of nowhere in the mountains and the nearest stop is a 90 minute car ride away...

Anyway, after making last second arrangements for work (I can't just take the whole week off just in case I actually have to go) I borrow a car and drive clear the fuck to the courthouse at "oh god why does this early hour exist" in the morning, which really sucks when you don't get off work until 10 or 11 pm. Then you sit there for hours in a hot stuffy room and invariably have to make your case in front of everybody that you really can't afford to do this, because my employer does not pay for jury duty and the jury pay is only $15/day after the first day. They also pay "mileage" (one way only) for transporting to the courthouse after the first day, but the mileage is calculated by taking the closest point in your zipcode to the closest eligible transit stop, so just the gas for one day of driving wasn't covered by the "mileage."

I was dismissed every time, but I still get angry over how fucking dumb and inequitable the system is.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Phone interview went well! They have one more person to interview next week, so hopefully I'll hear back in a week or so. They also mentioned that their budget wouldn't allow them to fly me out so it'd be a Skype interview instead for the 2nd round, and I'm taking the fact that they mentioned it as a good sign.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I spent all morning trying to track down an error in the Excel macro we use to generate weeding lists. It was throwing up an overflow error if you tried to run an adult nonfiction list, but not if you ran a fiction list. Then I discovered that the error happened on a 000-500 list but not a 500-999 list.

So by dividing the list in half each time and running a whole lot of reports, I finally managed to narrow it down to a new book about Dick Cheney. If the report contains that book, it crashes. If you delete the book from the master list, it runs just fine.

Cheney, you poisonous fucking ghoul, how do you still manage to ruin everything you touch after all these years?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    chromdom wrote: »

Jury duty for me in California sucked. You're on for a week once a year if you're summoned. Somehow I got summoned as soon as I became eligible again for 6 straight years. I lived and worked in a camp in the mountains with a bunch of other people, most of whom were never called, and those that were never more than once or twice.

So it works like this, I had to check the website or call in after work every evening to see if I had to go down to the courthouse. Only once did I make it the entire week without having to make the journey. When called to appear, I had to be at the courthouse by 8am. But the courthouse was 2 hours away by car without traffic. Not having a car was not valid enough reason to get waived "Because jurors get free buss passes." Well there's no buses that run up to the middle of nowhere in the mountains and the nearest stop is a 90 minute car ride away...

Anyway, after making last second arrangements for work (I can't just take the whole week off just in case I actually have to go) I borrow a car and drive clear the fuck to the courthouse at "oh god why does this early hour exist" in the morning, which really sucks when you don't get off work until 10 or 11 pm. Then you sit there for hours in a hot stuffy room and invariably have to make your case in front of everybody that you really can't afford to do this, because my employer does not pay for jury duty and the jury pay is only $15/day after the first day. They also pay "mileage" (one way only) for transporting to the courthouse after the first day, but the mileage is calculated by taking the closest point in your zipcode to the closest eligible transit stop, so just the gas for one day of driving wasn't covered by the "mileage."

I was dismissed every time, but I still get angry over how fucking dumb and inequitable the system is.

That's especially shitty. In my part of SoCal there's two courthouses, one does the week long evening check-in thing and the other has you come come in for a full day on Monday, if you don't get seated that day then you're off the hook for a year. I can choose which one I'm on the list for and I'm never sure if I'd rather have to burn at least one day or if I'd rather play the odds for a week.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    The last couple of days my department has begun fighting a war, and I'm on the front lines. We keep butting heads with our business banking division over people doing large/strange activity and being told "They are a wealthy client who has a lot of accounts and money with us so we don't ask questions, stop pushing it." and it is really getting my goat.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I spent all morning trying to track down an error in the Excel macro we use to generate weeding lists. It was throwing up an overflow error if you tried to run an adult nonfiction list, but not if you ran a fiction list. Then I discovered that the error happened on a 000-500 list but not a 500-999 list.

So by dividing the list in half each time and running a whole lot of reports, I finally managed to narrow it down to a new book about Dick Cheney. If the report contains that book, it crashes. If you delete the book from the master list, it runs just fine.

Cheney, you poisonous fucking ghoul, how do you still manage to ruin everything you touch after all these years?

Time to publish my new book about bobby tables then

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Made a map of the United States with a color gradient based on property tax revenue

*adds ArcGIS and QGIS to resume*

only problem is that I'm missing a significant amount of data for the middle of the country where wind turbines are

fucking survey respondents

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I've had jury duty twice.

Once I was picked, once I wasn't.

The best part is during the selection part when people are trying to answer questions in a way that will get them bounced. Those people usually sound pretty dumb and it's good for a laugh.

Last time one of the lawyers asked a dude what his hobbies were and he replied verify confidently with 'atheism'.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

Story of my life man.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I've been on-call 4 times, had to go down to the courthouse twice, and was in the selection for a trial once (but wasn't picked/interviewed).

Most blatant "trying to get out of it" thing was a person (who had been yawning, being a jerk all-around, on his phone, etc) just parroting verbatim a "my Christianity doesn't let me judge someone" thing someone else said earlier to a degree which kinda pissed me off, honestly, with how obviously bullshit it was.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »

Story of my life man.

Because last year we got interviewed from the federal Census. We got another letter because they want to come back for more info :(

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I was about to write up a bit that began, "I served on a jury a little over a month ago."

paused to check the mail, and there's letter from the courthouse. It's a form letter, basically saying "thanks for serving".

• Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I've been on-call 4 times, had to go down to the courthouse twice, and was in the selection for a trial once (but wasn't picked/interviewed).

Most blatant "trying to get out of it" thing was a person (who had been yawning, being a jerk all-around, on his phone, etc) just parroting verbatim a "my Christianity doesn't let me judge someone" thing someone else said earlier to a degree which kinda pissed me off, honestly, with how obviously bullshit it was.

My favorite was "Oh, I don't speak English, I don't think I'll be able to understand things very well." Which, fair if true (it wasn't).
    They had kind of rushed us through and just did a group "think you guys can be impartial? Ok good." No individual questioning. It was a short-ish one day trial so not a super big deal. Person probably thought they would get an earlier chance to get out, because when they said their excuse to us, the other jurors, it was after they had dismissed the rest of the jury pool.

10 minutes later they had caught another very unlucky potential juror on her way home who had decided to wait for the next elevator instead of taking the stairs.

• Options
    My brother has been called for Jury duty twice. At both he used the excuse of being an non practicing attorney [he went to and graduated from law school but did not take the bar [he ran out of money and crisis of character because he saw what he was becoming something he hated} So at the first case which was a death plenty he argued in the jury selection of why it was horseshit the states case and the person [basically in his words it would have saved people time and money if they went outside and dealt with it}
    The other he has a NDA but tells me it was the State VS a bank because the state took out a loan and the bank issued it in bad faith both were at fault past that he cannot talk about it.
    In that case in the selection the older man before him said he was indigent lacking in basic items from food and housing but the lawyers accepted him. My brother's turn he says with a smile I am a non practicing attorney. Both lawyers look at each other ask to speak with each other and move to accept him
    So this was the summer just after we lost the truck so someone from the court would go around and pick up 3 people and to the courthouse
    Just my brother makes fun of how dumb both the state and bank were really pants on the head stupid

• Options
    My vacation hours are inching up to within shouting distance of the cap, and I spotted a full week that is miraculously free of any meetings, trainings, or site visits.

So I'm going to take off the first week in March with plans to do nothing very much in particular.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Hey, librarian friends ... "timspork's ghost" Jedoc ... and other book lovers!

Any hints on trying to source an out-of-print book? I'm looking for Horn (from the Yehudi Menuhin music guides) by Barry Tuckwell for my wife. Amazon's got some options, but I was wondering if there are better sources out there.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Hey, librarian friends ... "timspork's ghost" Jedoc ... and other book lovers!

Any hints on trying to source an out-of-print book? I'm looking for Horn (from the Yehudi Menuhin music guides) by Barry Tuckwell for my wife. Amazon's got some options, but I was wondering if there are better sources out there.

Besides looking for local used book stores or even antique books stores, not that I know. I haven't looked for a while for out of print stuff so Jedoc may know.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    It occurs to me that in addition to looking that asking at a used book store may yield results. I mean, they'd probably just order it up off of Amazon, but maybe they have a network of other stores they can ask about.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Half Price Books is always my first stop. Even with the shipping the prices tend to be pretty good.

If it's something harder to find you can always try Abe Books. The only downside is that it can sometimes be hard to tell whether you're buying from an actual store or just an individual book weirdo, so I don't trust them quite as much to deliver the exact edition they claim.

If it's a gift you'll probably want to pay pretty close attention to the condition descriptors, though. I'm usually happy with a jank-ass former library copy, but you know your lady best.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Been called twice, denied both times.

"Did you say you worked at a prison, took courses in law, and generally understand the full responsibility of being an impartial juror?"

"Yes."

"Get the fuck out."

• Options
    Madican wrote: »

"Did you say you worked at a prison, took courses in law, and generally understand the full responsibility of being an impartial juror?"

"Yes."

"Get the fuck out."

that was my brother's plan yet like I said he is/was accepted both times {he was bumped down to alt in the first case]

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I got my Oculus Quest! It has a very slick set up process and is far nicer to deal with so far than the two VR sets I have at school.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

"Yes."

"Get the fuck out."

that was my brother's plan yet like I said he is/was accepted both times {he was bumped down to alt in the first case]

Just read a book written by a liberal politician in the waiting room. That's what I did and wasn't even in there for 30 minutes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    One of my uncles got called up for jury duty in an embezzlement case against the mayor of his town, but got released because my uncle had been the mayor's opponent in the republican primary for the previous election. The wife of the actual opponent from the general election was also in the same pool. Not a whole lot of people to choose from in a town of 4,000 citizens.

I got called up for jury duty once when I lived in Hawaii, but the trial got postponed due to them finding a shitload of bats in the attic of the courthouse, and then I never got any kind of mail or phone call about it reconvening, so I'm going to hope they called a new jury pool and that I'm not in any kind of trouble if I ever go back to visit.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    My mom had gotten called for jury duty, scheduled to begin the day my father was supposed to be coming home after a pretty invasive back surgery. She was at the courthouse waiting her turn and ended up being called last as they were down to choosing a few alternate jurors. The guy in front of her, when asked if he had any reasons he should not be selected said "I ain't got time for this shit" and was let off.

My mom, being last in line, was forced to be an alternate and her very valid excuse of "My husband will need somebody as he will be basically bed ridden and on heavy painkillers" was met with a shrug and "I'm sorry" from the judge.

Huh...
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    NYC lets you postpone once for any reason. The system is very antiquated, like most things in the city. You have to go in for two days, and sit around, and usually never get called. But if you keep your paperwork, and you get called again within a certain amount of time, your can get out of it. I guess they don't keep track of that themselves.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Yeah, I was working for a law firm, had a friend who was a judge, and knew 2 Assistant District Attorneys, one of whom worked in that building, and they still sat me.
    It really really depends on how close they are to completing the jury and how soon they can go home.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I wish I could go serve on a jury.

I've been called once, when I was away at college (and therefore couldn't do it), and never since.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Only called for jury duty once. It was a civil case vs. Ford for an accident in which several folks died. They passed out a screener to gauge folks general disposition on corporate ethics and liability and I would have loved to have seen just how quickly the Ford lawyers put me in the no pile.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I've been called three times and never once made it inside a courtroom.

Very disappointing. I wanna dispense some justice!

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    My vacation hours are inching up to within shouting distance of the cap, and I spotted a full week that is miraculously free of any meetings, trainings, or site visits.

So I'm going to take off the first week in March with plans to do nothing very much in particular.

In case you're interested, this is one of the best weeks of the year to visit US theme parks as no schools are on vacation. It'll be you and international visitors (during the week)

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

In case you're interested, this is one of the best weeks of the year to visit US theme parks as no schools are on vacation. It'll be you and international visitors (during the week)
    There is a very good chance any given school's Spring Break is the first week of March.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »

There is a very good chance any given school's Spring Break is the first week of March.

Nope! Most start the 2nd week or later. We did Disney that week when our kids were in daycare (no vacation weeks to worry about) and every day during the week was like a 2-3 out of 10 by most estimations.

This discussion has been closed.