As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Pretty sure the markers are also big red X marks or skulls or something, with an added pop-up warning saying that units in that area when reinforcements arrive will be destroyed instantly.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    AhiMahiAhiMahi Registered User regular
    Don't forget #1 ROE. Always kill any and all 60 ton vehicles FIRST. Or you will get 51687231 SRMs to your face.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I lost a mech once to a landing mishap. I learned the hard way.

Again making me Oosik material.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

I have mentally earmarked you for the OI 2nd Battalion!

That said, you're currently it's only member, soooooo....

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

I get a dropship all to myself yesssssssssss

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

So that's what happend to the 2nd Battalion...

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular

I get a dropship all to myself yesssssssssss

Keep in mind, until such time as additional members of OI2B are assigned, said dropship will be alternating between "Escape" by Rupert Holmes and an hour-long loop of the sound of me shuffling papers over the internal PA.

Mind you, this is corporate-wide SOP. It's out of my hands!

The chatter of squadmates might come as a desirable respite!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    So I finally managed to play a bit more BattleTech. First mission after the tutorials and the "3 years later" cut scene. Managed to get a travel contract to Bellerophone. Mission was "go to this depot, occupy it, done".

Was easy enough. Had to fight two enemy mechs. Was also easy. Occupied the depot.

And then my drop ship comes in.

And lands on one of my mechs.

The Locust is lost. So is the pilot. What the fuck, drop ship? Can you maybe not do that?

Anyways, game is still alot of fun, but I am still trying to figure out my way around everything.

FYI, there are definitely markers on the ground designating where dropships will land. So....don't ever stand there. Ever.

Large Flying Objects Have The Right Of Way!

This is known as, "The Law of Gross Tonnage."

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Superior mass has the right of way

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    So I finally managed to play a bit more BattleTech. First mission after the tutorials and the "3 years later" cut scene. Managed to get a travel contract to Bellerophone. Mission was "go to this depot, occupy it, done".

Was easy enough. Had to fight two enemy mechs. Was also easy. Occupied the depot.

And then my drop ship comes in.

And lands on one of my mechs.

The Locust is lost. So is the pilot. What the fuck, drop ship? Can you maybe not do that?

Anyways, game is still alot of fun, but I am still trying to figure out my way around everything.

FYI, there are definitely markers on the ground designating where dropships will land. So....don't ever stand there. Ever.

Large Flying Objects Have The Right Of Way!

Also, don't use Locusts. Think of it not as losing a mech, so much as regaining a bay slot.

Anyway, I've apparently advanced enough in the story that my 210 ton lance is now looking awfully lightweight, and the contracts board is filling up with skulls. Still working on my first heavy mech, but at least I've added reinforced cockpits to a couple of my mediums. Some of my mechwarriors were getting to be medbay frequent flyers, so I'm hoping this will help prevent that sort of malingering, not just add hit points.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    New event for a bunch of Cbills and MC. 9 days long, which is nice, but of course it falls during a span where my wife had to take the baby for 10 days and leave me home alone with the 4yo. If I sneak in a few matches during naps and in the hour between the kid's bed time and my own, hopefully I can finish off a few of them.

Got two matches in, 75 damage with a Marauder 5A, and a longer one in a Raven but didn't take the time to check my score or damage. Both matches the game insisted my "w" key was held down. I migrated everything to an SSD but that shouldn't cause a weird issue like that.

monkeykins on
  • Options
    I pick my Dire Wolf, get dropped into the desert... and like 10 seconds into the match enemy is slamming my back armor with heavy fire, effectively killing me before I fired a single shot. And my team did nothign to turn around / return fire to try and stop it. I was just out first, easily, because the game dropped me with 3 lights that ran the fuck away and I was alone against a full lance ASAP.

Holy fuck that is unacceptable to ever allow to happen in game design.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    There's a drop point on Frozen City Classic that will drop the Assault lance like 15s away from the enemy, so unless they get their asses in gear immediately they'll get caught and taken out before they can reach cover (or they need to walk around the outside of the zone, arriving to the fight late).

There's also a spot in Canyon where, if the other side hoofs it, they can catch assault-speed mechs before they can get their butts out of dodge. Canyon in general is "if you're in a slow mech start moving immediately or potentially get caught out". You also don't drop from an airship, which means you don't know where you are until the match has already started.

• Options
    Turns out the game just now decided my joystick that had been plugged in for months should now start using the throttle in MWO

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    monkeykins wrote: »
    Turns out the game just now decided my joystick that had been plugged in for months should now start using the throttle in MWO

Clearly the answer is ComStar.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Man, fuck ComStar.

DISCLAIMER: DO NOT EVER FUCK WITH COMSTAR IF YOU WANT TO GET YOUR EMAILS EVER AGAIN.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Man, fuck ComStar.

DISCLAIMER: DO NOT EVER FUCK WITH COMSTAR IF YOU WANT TO GET YOUR EMAILS EVER AGAIN.

I mean, offend ComStar and email outage seems like the least of your problems

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Oh god, that happened to me two years ago, suddenly mid-match my cockpit just dove down and right, and at best I could raise it back up with a violent mouse swipe before it went into dunce mode once more.

Took me a couple of very confused matches before I figured out what was happening and I went and disabled aaaaall gamepad options and unplugged it for good measure. Thing is, same thing happened all the time to me in DOS times, you'd think I would have remembered.

Glal on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Oh god, that happened to me two years ago, suddenly mid-match my cockpit just dove down and right, and at best I could raise it back up with a violent mouse swipe before it went into dunce mode once more.

Took me a couple of very confused matches before I figured out what was happening and I went and disabled aaaaall gamepad options and unplugged it for good measure. Thing is, same thing happened all the time to me in DOS times, you'd think I would have remembered.

That sounds like my experience where I learned that my Nephew pushed my throttle a slight bit forward during one visit. Couldn't figure out what was going wrong when my mech would saunter forward when I should have been dead stopped. Took me a few minutes of getting shot from walking out of cover to realize what happened. By then I accidentally pushed the throttle to spin my mech rather than pushed it to 0 (mine is the Thrustmaster Warthog so has the split throttle). Yep, good times. Wonder what the enemy team thought when they spotted a mech slightly turning all the time.

Luckily my computer will not go to sleep with them plugged in so they're always unplugged now.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    If I buy a camo pattern, I can only apply it to mechs of the same chassis? So if I get a camo for my Summoner, I can only use it for other Summoners, and not for my Raven?

Because yeah, see, that's what I mean about comically expensive nonsense. $5 for one color. $1 for one camo pattern for one chassis. Insane.

monkeykins on
  • Options
    Yeah the camo / color stuff is VERY expensive and unfair in this game. Plus, there's an unlock option and a one-time-only option.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Unlock: That particular pattern is yours forever on that chassis no matter how many of what variants you buy and if you play around with swapping to different patterns. IE: You buy 24 Shadow Cats (4 of each because you're that guy) and you buy the Unlock Digital Shadow Cat pattern. For no additional cost, every Shadow Cat can use the Digital pattern. Even if you mess around and change one to Snowfall for a weekend, you can swap it back at no additional cost.

One Time: Only done one time only to one specific mech. If you remove it for any reason, you have to repurchase it.

(I only do the MC option to buy them, and try to avoid doing it when they're off sale).

• Options
    Yeah the camo / color stuff is VERY expensive and unfair in this game. Plus, there's an unlock option and a one-time-only option.

Though, compared to something like Modern Warfare, I guess, where a skin for a gun goes for $1-$2, it's not all that awful. Especially since this game is free and not $60. Though each weapon in Modern warfare comes with like 70 camo skin already.

• Options
    Always go for one-shots, just make sure you like the skin a lot. Thankfully these days they're pretty generous with MC rewards during events (if you have time to play), because fuck are their prices high.

• Options
    Overall it's a more generous F2P system than, say, Dungeon Fighter Online. I mean technically you didn't need to pay any money to that game to be competitive / get through it. But their pay-real-money thing for gear was insane. They had the following tiers for cosmetic gear (which did have some stats on it):
    - 1 month rental
    - 2 month rental (or 3?)
    - 6 month rental
    - own forever

The price margins for those shot up SO MUCH. I swear it was like $100 for the own-forever thing.

• Options
    Took the UAC/2s out of my Rifleman, replaced with LBX-2s. Allowed me to strip out the TC, putting in some heat sinks. They're not needed for the heat management for the guns, but the LAMS I have benefits greatly (slots were tightening up otherwise).

3 kills, 5 assists, 1 solo, 618 damage on the test run. This is a good mech (and still not fully skilled up).

• Options
    OK, I finished all the events. Not too hard.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Took the UAC/2s out of my Rifleman, replaced with LBX-2s. Allowed me to strip out the TC, putting in some heat sinks. They're not needed for the heat management for the guns, but the LAMS I have benefits greatly (slots were tightening up otherwise).

3 kills, 5 assists, 1 solo, 618 damage on the test run. This is a good mech (and still not fully skilled up).

Do you do chain fire? I feel like that many AC/2s on chain fire would feel very fun.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Do you do chain fire? I feel like that many AC/2s on chain fire would feel very fun.

it's fun, but outside of causing cockpit shake it's not very effective. Generally better to just salvo.

Oh, and LAMS is bad, it's waaaaaaaaay too hot, like 2 or 3 times what it should be. The only time I can see running it currently is if you're running a Gauss only build, otherwise regular AMS or nothing.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    That little mishap with the dropship I mentioned last page? Yeah, I actually recorded that whole hour of gameplay and uploaded it to YouTube.

https://youtu.be/Wd5AVPoIY5o

Go to roughly 29:00 for that aforementioned little mishap.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Wow it just landed on you. lmao

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Nobody wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »

it's fun, but outside of causing cockpit shake it's not very effective. Generally better to just salvo.

Oh, and LAMS is bad, it's waaaaaaaaay too hot, like 2 or 3 times what it should be. The only time I can see running it currently is if you're running a Gauss only build, otherwise regular AMS or nothing.
    The LAMS builds up little heat. I would have to take concentrated sustained fire for it to build up significantly in the Rifleman. In other mechs, yes absolutely I have seen how bad LAMS heat generation is. But it's working out in this one.

As for my fire pattern, I have mouse 1 for alpha, mouse 2 for the right arm, and one of the thumb buttons for the left arm. That said, alpha striking produces a different result if I fire one arm fire and then hold the alpha button; it will fire each arm alternatively, which somehow plays on my targets' minds because they tend to retreat way faster than if I just shoot all four cannons at once. I'll demonstrate it in this morning's stream.

Edit - Oh yeah I forgot to mention my Rifleman is also carrying a 300 XL engine now, so it relatively hauls ass. Gets out of trouble faster than people expect a Rifleman to. Or allows for faster repositioning, which screws with their heads.

Henroid on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    As someone who hangs back and XL checks anything and everything...

Thank you, Henroid

• Options
    XLs are my version of "equip low armor to fit heavier weapons" I suppose. I guess that's why I like Clan mechs more in this game; losing a side torso doesn't mean death with an XL. I'm still playing with having XL engines in my IS mechs, but generally try to avoid it if possible. The Inner Sphere has shitty engineers.

• Options
    I think the only IS mech I pilot these days that still rocks an XL is my Bushwacker. Unless something catches me from behind, by the time I lose a side torso there's barely anything left of me anyway.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    I think the only IS mech I pilot these days that still rocks an XL is my Bushwacker. Unless something catches me from behind, by the time I lose a side torso there's barely anything left of me anyway.
    Yeah when I die in my Bushwacker it's usually because my central torso is getting blown out anyway. In exchange for the XL, it's pretty deadly for its size.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Edit - Actually don't bother, I have to cut my stream super short on short notice and I'm pissed about it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Wow it just landed on you. lmao

Yeapp, it absolutely did. By now I suspect that the game expected me to go for the area I needed to occupy first, then deal with the reinforcements instead of the other way around and that the dropship was triggered by me killing the second enemy 'mech.

But yeah, as you can hear, it took me a while to figure out what exactly had happened.

Second mission went smoother, but still send one of my pilots to the infirmary and cost a 'mech his arms. Will have to sit in orbit of Bellerophone for a month now, until both is fixed and I can go into the next mission. Some mission outside the Mercenary review board, I believe :biggrin: .

What can possibly go wrong?

• Options
    Okay as shitty as that stream was I did learn some things.

1) "Light" engines for the IS function the same way as XL engines for Clans; lose a torso, you lose some speed instead of dying.
    2) Some mechs, like the Archer, have weapon doors that open and close when firing. You can manually open them and close them though; when open, there's no delay on shooting from those hard points. When closed, the body part in question has a reduction in damage received.
    3) I bought an Archer on a lark and oops I suck ass with it and will need time figuring out how to outfit / pilot this stupid thing :P