As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Yeah I usually go with light engines on my IS mechs, unless the mech is oddly shaped or just toast anyways without one side. Or I really want some big heavy guns.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    monkeykins wrote: »
    Yeah I usually go with light engines on my IS mechs, unless the mech is oddly shaped or just toast anyways without one side. Or I really want some big heavy guns.
    I for some reason was under the impression that Light engines had the same impact on IS mechs as XL (lost any torso, you die). I dunno how I got that in my head.

But yeah generally speaking I see like no reason why anyone should have standard engines on any mech. I mean like, unless you 100% expect to lose torso sections as part of your strategy but don't want the move speed penalty I GUESS? If that's a thing people consider / plan for?

I'm with you; I'd rather drop some weight to get more weapons or heat sinks or higher grade engine.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Standard engines are IS tax.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I for some reason was under the impression that Light engines had the same impact on IS mechs as XL (lost any torso, you die). I dunno how I got that in my head.

But yeah generally speaking I see like no reason why anyone should have standard engines on any mech.

Price. Outfitting all your IS mechs with Light engines is easily hundreds of millions of CBills, once you have a sizable stable.

So either you have the money up front, waste time plying Swap-The-Engines, or go with Standards until you can afford the LFEs.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

But yeah generally speaking I see like no reason why anyone should have standard engines on any mech.

Price. Outfitting all your IS mechs with Light engines is easily hundreds of millions of CBills, once you have a sizable stable.

So either you have the money up front, waste time plying Swap-The-Engines, or go with Standards until you can afford the LFEs.
    I guess to an extent I'm taking the C-Bill cost for granted. I've gotten millions upon millions recently from the in-game events but also a couple of my favorite mechs have C-Bill bonuses attached to them. I can farm it up pretty easily.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Some IS mechs are absolutely XL safe. You can get away with it in mechs like the Catapult, Black Knight and Warhammer.

Losing a torso in an LFE mech can be instant death. If you’re riding the red line the heat spike can easily kill you .

• Options
    Several IS mechs will run Standard engines.

If you want to run heavy gauss or LB-20X for example, or if you’re running a zombie mech

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Okay as shitty as that stream was I did learn some things.

1) "Light" engines for the IS function the same way as XL engines for Clans; lose a torso, you lose some speed instead of dying.
    2) Some mechs, like the Archer, have weapon doors that open and close when firing. You can manually open them and close them though; when open, there's no delay on shooting from those hard points. When closed, the body part in question has a reduction in damage received.
    3) I bought an Archer on a lark and oops I suck ass with it and will need time figuring out how to outfit / pilot this stupid thing :P

1) Dang, I thought someone told you that the Light engines are like the Clan XLs. Sorry that you had to learn that the hard way (note to @Nips to put this in the OP). I've pretty much swapped almost all of my mechs over to a Light engine except for Lights. If you're dying to a side torso in a Light you are pretty much dead anyways and the speed is what keeps you alive anyways.
    2) Yep, any mech with doors for missiles (Catapult, Dervish, Archer, etc.) and mechs with "claws" (Crab, King Crab, etc.) allow you to manually open them to speed up the firing. The down side is that they are now easier to crit, and in the Archer's case you can hit the "bunny ears" that the doors make to hit the torso. Another thing that we should add to the OP.
    3) They honestly are not that great to pilot unless you have the one with all the missile hard points or the Hero variant with ECM. At least with my experience with them they really have not lived up to the coolness factor much. In fact I focus fire on them when I see them on the field since I know they go down pretty fast.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Oh I bought the one with all the missile hard points. Wanna know why?

Because some dude in the same variant walked up to my Orion IIC that's built for brawling and SMOKED ME.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Oh yeah. MRM+SRM missile boats are pretty fuckin scary in brawl range.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    That's how I build my Archers in the BT game, they're incredibly tanky shotguns.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    "Fire Support"

Actually, come to check it, there are no canonical variants that mount MRMs. Wow! That's surprising to me.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    The missile-heavy variant has an LRM velocity bonus of 10%.

Imagine equipping LRMs.

• Options
    Oh I bought the one with all the missile hard points. Wanna know why?

Because some dude in the same variant walked up to my Orion IIC that's built for brawling and SMOKED ME.

Nice! Well not nice that it melted you, but nice that you now have one.

I think I had mine built as a gag build. All SRM2s to fire forever at super speed, or was that SSRM2s for anti-light... I should go look what I ended up leaving it at.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    The missile-heavy variant has an LRM velocity bonus of 10%.

Imagine equipping LRMs.

So, this is a really fun build I've been tooling around with:

TEMPEST

A fast-firing LRM20A provides a surprising amount of annoyance when coming from under an ECM cloak, and you do really, really well once you get at slightly stand-off range (~250m or so) when your Artemis target lock kicks in and you can get all weapons on-target.

• Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    2) Yep, any mech with doors for missiles (Catapult, Dervish, Archer, etc.) and mechs with "claws" (Crab, King Crab, etc.) allow you to manually open them to speed up the firing. The down side is that they are now easier to crit, and in the Archer's case you can hit the "bunny ears" that the doors make to hit the torso. Another thing that we should add to the OP.
    You sure they're easier to crit? Last time I did research it just provided a passive bonus when closed and that was it (well, and delaying fire by half a second unless manually opened).

But yet, something like the Archer or a Catapult basically doubles the size of their already-chonky components when they're left open, which isn't great. If I could break them off and leave them open permanently I would...

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Alright I'm back in the shop swapping my IS mech engines out for Lights. I'm gonna write this post as I make the changes happen.

My Javelin is fine; I dropped the LAMS I had on it, and when dropping the XL for a Light engine I was also able to up the engine grade to a 200 (so I could cut one of the exterior heat sinks). It basically lost... nothing in the change. It runs faster and won't die from a side torso going anymore.

The Crab sadly I had to drop a MPL to make the change happen, as well as two heat sinks. Now, the heat sinks technically aren't needed so much because the heat vent ratio is overall up, but it's one less pew pew on a pew pew heavy mech. It still runs fast though so hopefully it's not the worst change.

I'm... kinda pissed about the Bushwacker change. It was a 4 ton difference, so I had to drop the TC, 1 ton of MG ammo (while also downgrading them to regular MGs from HMGs), and 1 ton of SRM ammo. Now... if I drop the SRMs down from 6 to 4, I can get the ammo count back up. The TC is still gone so the MPLs have no crit chasing benefit. The heat management looks unchanged. Grrrr... let's see how this goes this week.

Poor Master Chief. Er, Phoenix Hawk. Changing to a Light from XL is buying it a lot of needed survivability (JESUS CHRIST THIS MECH), but I had to drop two heat sinks and the weapon profile is way different. It used to be 8 medium lasers, now it's 5 with 3 small lasers as backup. The overall heat management is... the same I think? But the small lasers mean it has to get in a risky range to put them to use.

My Jenner is... going to stick with the XL. It's not meant for combat, only spotting and targeting assistance. It's my fastest mech, getting 150kph. If it's dead in the side torsos it may as well be dead overall.

WELL WELL LOOK WHAT I DISCOVERED - my PPC loaded Catapult is still using a Standard Engine! UPGRADES INCOMING! Also for some reason it had Ferro Fibrus armor instead of Endo-Steel structure for weight space, so I swapped those. Overall, it's 5 more tons to play with. If I drop two tons, I can get a fourth ER PPC on this thing. And I can't help but think how fucking hysterical a concept that is. So I have my stubby arm-shoulders for my carefully considered left-right shooting, and then I have the two on the central body for the "FUCK YOU" button. Heat management is going to be AWESOME in this thing I swear.

Edit - AH SHIT I HIT SEND not done yet.

Jaegermech! Ah the times we've had. Changing over to a Light from XL only adds 3.5 tons. In truth I only have to drop the two MPLs I had as backup to make that shift happen, but I may as well re-evaluate its weapons. It has a few MGs (meant to be used in tandem with the MPLs) and two UAC/5s, and reminder on the trait being reduced jam chance on UACs. I could go back to four UAC/2s but then it feels like a subpar dumb version of my Rifleman. Oooor... change the HMGs it had to LMGs and... yeah okay I found something to make it work out.

And the last... my Annihilator. My dumb, stupid, IS Assault Mech. The engine grade is already a 300 (at its base I believe), and changing it to a Light takes 5 tons. It had a Beagle Probe so I took that out, took out the four MPLs, using just 3 small lasers for backup now, and was able to fit a TC and a couple more heat sinks on.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Damn that was a lot of C-Bills spent but overall I'm excited to see how it works out. I should sell those XL engines and make some of that money back at least.

Edit - I had 3 grade 300 XL engines after all that changing out, holy crap. Those alone got me like 7.5 million C-Bills returned.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Glal wrote: »
    You sure they're easier to crit? Last time I did research it just provided a passive bonus when closed and that was it (well, and delaying fire by half a second unless manually opened).

But yet, something like the Archer or a Catapult basically doubles the size of their already-chonky components when they're left open, which isn't great. If I could break them off and leave them open permanently I would...

Sorry it isn't easier to crit they offer the following:

missile bay doors offer 20% damage reduction
    ballistic/energy doors offer 10% damage reduction

Honestly they might have changed these numbers, but that's what I could find really quick.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    OH GOD I can't believe I forgot to post about this.

In the matches I played on my stream this morning I saw some REALLY GOOFY Spider builds. Not Sun Spiders, the big ones, I mean the little ass Spider scout mechs. The 2nd one I believe had 2 flame throwers and... was it an ER small laser? What a loud out. But the fucking champ

was the Spider with 3 large lasers.

I tried recreating it in the shop and the shit that took to make happen, my god.

• Options

In the matches I played on my stream this morning I saw some REALLY GOOFY Spider builds. Not Sun Spiders, the big ones, I mean the little ass Spider scout mechs. The 2nd one I believe had 2 flame throwers and... was it an ER small laser? What a loud out. But the fucking champ

I tried recreating it in the shop and the shit that took to make happen, my god.

Guessing it is almost as crazy as the I think it was Gauss Arctic Cheetah (or was it 2ERPPCs). Basically it was almost no armor and only the weapon. I'm pretty sure it was a Gauss gun on it.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    WELL WELL LOOK WHAT I DISCOVERED - my PPC loaded Catapult is still using a Standard Engine! UPGRADES INCOMING! Also for some reason it had Ferro Fibrus armor instead of Endo-Steel structure for weight space, so I swapped those. Overall, it's 5 more tons to play with. If I drop two tons, I can get a fourth ER PPC on this thing. And I can't help but think how fucking hysterical a concept that is. So I have my stubby arm-shoulders for my carefully considered left-right shooting, and then I have the two on the central body for the "FUCK YOU" button. Heat management is going to be AWESOME in this thing I swear.
    Update: MISTAKES WERE MADE. I'll uh, just take this thing into the shop again... <.<

• Options

Guessing it is almost as crazy as the I think it was Gauss Arctic Cheetah (or was it 2ERPPCs). Basically it was almost no armor and only the weapon. I'm pretty sure it was a Gauss gun on it.
    Someone unironically recommended I do that once and I just kinda... stared at them for a while.

• Options

Sounds like MPG’s HPPC Spider

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    The only reason to run standard engines is dual LB-20 Xs

Also maybe a Centi or something that's got 2x energy points on the stick (CT/H).

Otherwise meh.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Wow it just landed on you. lmao

Yeapp, it absolutely did. By now I suspect that the game expected me to go for the area I needed to occupy first, then deal with the reinforcements instead of the other way around and that the dropship was triggered by me killing the second enemy 'mech.

But yeah, as you can hear, it took me a while to figure out what exactly had happened.

Second mission went smoother, but still send one of my pilots to the infirmary and cost a 'mech his arms. Will have to sit in orbit of Bellerophone for a month now, until both is fixed and I can go into the next mission. Some mission outside the Mercenary review board, I believe :biggrin: .

What can possibly go wrong?

Yeah, all those spots with the red triangles around them were supposed to be the warning indicators for the landing area. I've never seen the AI walk on those spots, and I only had that same sort of thing happen once before I never set foot in drop zones again.

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    The only reason to run standard engines is dual LB-20 Xs

Also maybe a Centi or something that's got 2x energy points on the stick (CT/H).

Otherwise meh.

Hahaha I remember the old days when we Oosiks would argue about a XL Engine in a King Crab. Boy those were fun days. Especially when I ran one with a XL just to add to the experiment.

The joke is that the King Crab was so huge that it didn't matter if you died from a CT hit or ST then CT. So might as well run a XL to scuttle faster.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Just had a match in Terra Therma where the enemy team had a full lance of Novas. It was kinda cool seeing a commitment to a bit like that.

• Options
    Just had a match in Terra Therma where the enemy team had a full lance of Novas. It was kinda cool seeing a commitment to a bit like that.

I had a match last night where we had a 4 man of Urbies on my team.

(It did not go well for us)

• Options
    Needs to be a lance of K9s. Then you just turn on your lights and start circling a fool.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »

In one of the games I played last night, there was a group of 4 members of a clan running 3 Timberwolves (each a different chassis) ... and a Kit Fox?

• Options
    Needs to be a lance of K9s. Then you just turn on your lights and start circling a fool.

It was 3 K9s and one of the normal ones. They claimed they were distracting the enemy team, but given the enemy team out-tonnaged us by a lot, and it was Mining Collective so no real room to string them out, it was a forgone conclusion.

• Options

In one of the games I played last night, there was a group of 4 members of a clan running 3 Timberwolves (each a different chassis) ... and a Kit Fox?
    A Kit Fox running support for Timber Wolves can be pretty deadly.

That, or they were being a family with a baby wolf.

• Options

It was 3 K9s and one of the normal ones. They claimed they were distracting the enemy team, but given the enemy team out-tonnaged us by a lot, and it was Mining Collective so no real room to string them out, it was a forgone conclusion.

That reminded me of the one Oosik Night where we all piloted Cicadas... Imagine dropping and seeing 5-6 Cicadas.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

That reminded me of the one Oosik Night where we all piloted Cicadas... Imagine dropping and seeing 5-6 Cicadas.
    Unfortunately, we need to wait another 15 years to do it again.

• Options
    ... although, srs talk, my favorite was the Night Of The Machine Guns.

• Options

Was that the night where Padre ran his King Crab with 6 MGs? That was indeed an awesome night.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Was that the night where Padre ran his King Crab with 6 MGs? That was indeed an awesome night.

Well until the server crashed. Turns out upwards of 60 machine guns at once was a bit much for it.

Re weird mechs: at this point I will point out that you can fit double AC20 on a Blackjack. Just saying.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    You crashed the server with your MGs? el oh el

• Options
    I'm sorry what's this about crashing with MGs?