Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Ah the Stone Rhino, an Inner Sphere artilleryman's wet dream. It's big, it's slow and it blows up real nice like.

The Stone Rhino isn't an omnimech. 400cXL engine Rhino goes vroom (at a blistering 64.8kph)!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Ah the Stone Rhino, an Inner Sphere artilleryman's wet dream. It's big, it's slow and it blows up real nice like.

The Stone Rhino isn't an omnimech. 400cXL engine Rhino goes vroom (at a blistering 64.8kph)!

Wow! So fast! Very zoom!

You can bicycle faster than that... :)

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Wow! So fast! Very zoom!

You can bicycle faster than that... :)

I also don't weigh 100 tons.

In spite of quarantine's best efforts and my tendency to bake cookies, brownies, and other sweet treats when I'm bored.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

Y'know I just assumed it was since it is Clan Smoke Jaguar's very special boi, but yeah not an omni. Still a Clan Mech though.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Full patch notes are up for February: https://mwomercs.com/news/2021/02/2491-patch-notes-142370-17feb2021

TL;DR version:

Bolt-ons:

*Will now stay on, but they've received feedback that some bolt-ons do need to fall off (as they'll create false hitboxes), so they're asking for feedback.
    *They're also going to be looking into adding an option to turn off bolt-ons client side (so somebody can have them, but you won't see them).

Disconnect Penalties:

*Time limit upped to 4 minutes

Unit recruitment costs:

*Decreased significantly

Cadet Bonus:

*C-bills increased
    *bonuses at different tiers including GSP, mech bays, and assorted items.

Dynamic Time Changes:

*Apparently this was active for 6 maps, but it was most noticeable for River City
    *Turned off for all 6, and set to specific times.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I wonder if the cadet bonuses will be applied retroactively. I've a friend who started playing a month ago that will be very unhappy if he just missed all the good stuff.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    They said no in the patch notes. He just missed all the good stuff.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Actually, he might be in luck.
    We will not retroactively reward these new C-bill values or items to old accounts. We will retroactively reward players who have recently joined and completed the Cadet Bonus. Cut off Dates for retroactive rewards are TBD.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Actually, he might be in luck.
    We will not retroactively reward these new C-bill values or items to old accounts. We will retroactively reward players who have recently joined and completed the Cadet Bonus. Cut off Dates for retroactive rewards are TBD.

Yeah, hopefully they'll make it retroactive to a decent amount of time for new players.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    You owe me for those side torsos, @Betsuni!

• Options
    edited February 2021
    You owe me for those side torsos, Betsuni!

Fish has to eat. Sorry!

Witness hot Oosik on Oosik action.
    oosik_on_oosik_action.jpg

Also earlier today while experimenting with an unskilled Night Gyr... I sucked at it.
    dead_win.png

Legged Piranha and a Corsair on the other team... They didn't have enough speed to hit the next capture point.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I was in an unskilled sniper.

I'm bad at sniping on a good day. And you had two GOOD snipers on the walls in that game, but at least I claimed three arms from various mechs before I died like a flap.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Kay wrote: »
    I was in an unskilled sniper.

I'm bad at sniping on a good day. And you had two GOOD snipers on the walls in that game, but at least I claimed three arms from various mechs before I died like a flap.

Sadly one was the Urbanmech with 2ERLL... The other was an Arctic Cheetah running 6CERML. I didn't notice this till the end of the match.

Sorry about that match, it really was unfair.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Yeah, snipers on the walls on HPG are frustrating, because there's nothing most mechs can do about them.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Yeah, snipers on the walls on HPG are frustrating, because there's nothing most mechs can do about them.

Especially when they're lights. All they do is hunker down and wait for the other team to make a mistake.

Edit: Long ago I thought it was fun hiding up there in my Spider sniping away. Later on I discovered that I didn't do much damage and started brawling in my mechs. I do still have that Spider set up with an ERLL and MGs, but haven't pulled it out in ages.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Hoo boy that one got dicey!
    EgCRP8Z.png

Base attack in that polar basin where you have little choice but to encounter both lances and turrets at the same time. The one with the reinforced base structures w/ 400hp. I thought I had pushed radar far enough that the reinforcements weren't there this time, but as soon as I somewhat aggressively moved my King Crab up to have a chat with the enemy Annihilator, reinforcements spawned on my flank - two Cyclops, a Thunderbolt and Dragon.

The King Crab started jumping and juking, torso twisting and bracing. Almost all the enemies kept taking potshots until he was nearly off the map. Lost sooooo much armor, and a precious +hit defense gyro. But it did buy the rest of the team time to headshot/alpha the others down and grind forward to take out the turrets.

Close one!

EDIT: Yeah, all but 178 of 1520 armor stripped!

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »
    Hoo boy that one got dicey!
    EgCRP8Z.png

Base attack in that polar basin where you have little choice but to encounter both lances and turrets at the same time. The one with the reinforced base structures w/ 400hp. I thought I had pushed radar far enough that the reinforcements weren't there this time, but as soon as I somewhat aggressively moved my King Crab up to have a chat with the enemy Annihilator, reinforcements spawned on my flank - two Cyclops, a Thunderbolt and Dragon.

The King Crab started jumping and juking, torso twisting and bracing. Almost all the enemies kept taking potshots until he was nearly off the map. Lost sooooo much armor, and a precious +hit defense gyro. But it did buy the rest of the team time to headshot/alpha the others down and grind forward to take out the turrets.

Close one!

EDIT: Yeah, all but 178 of 1520 armor stripped!

Basically what you are saying is that your bait worked for this fishing trip.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    That's a heavy damn team. No scout!

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Yeah once you start getting assaults, there's basically no point in bringing anything smaller than a heavy to fight. If you really think you need a scout, the dragon isn't bad (assuming you have a +Init pilot), but even then it's not great and that's probably it's best use case.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options

Did you not see the King Crab?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Battletech unfortunately is balanced such that you're almost inevitably better off maximizing your drop tonnage, with the only real exceptions being one of the following:

* Marauders because their headshot bonus means they're better DPS than an assault when you're firing 1 aimed shot per turn
    * Star League mediums because their mobility gives them better survivability than an assault and you can position them for devastating back shots
    * Star League heavies because you've stopped giving fucks, but really you'd probably still be better with an assault here.

My standard late game lance is 2x Marauders (for DPS) + 2x of the heaviest assault I can field, moving toward 1x standard Marauder (medium range headshots), 1x Star League Marauder (long range headshots), and 2x Atlas IIs (tanks) eventually.

Orca on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Wait, are Marauders the only mech that have a bonus of that sort? Or are all mechs secretly good at something over others?

• Options
    Wait, are Marauders the only mech that have a bonus of that sort? Or are all mechs secretly good at something over others?

Marauders are the only mech with a to-hit bonus to headshot, and it's huge. You go from a maximum 18% chance to 35% chance by using a Marauder vs. anything else.

Most (all?) of the Heavy Metal mechs have quirks that make them better at something. Phoenix Hawks have that 20% bonus to damage after jumping, Warhammers have a 20% bonus to damage for energy weapons, the Vulcan gives you a CQC-suite that provides 20% greater range on weapons, etc. I don't remember when the Annhilator was added, but that gives +20% ballistic damage and +40 max stability; similarly there's the Cyclops and the Cyclops command variant that provide bonuses to initiative and to-hit for the whole squad.

The baseline mechs don't have very interesting quirks--just quirks that provide a smidge more melee damage, like the Shadowhawk.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Warhammers are base mechs. As are marauders. They were introduced with the HM patch but everyone gets them.

Marauders have a perk that triples the to-hit of called shots. It’s, by far, the best perk in the game. Even if you’re not using called shot for head shots it allows you to focus specific sections a lot easier.

Other than that the only real value in called shots is to club a CT (from the front or rear) or to volume of fire a head with an UAC20++. (Or two of them if you have an Atlas II)

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Warhammers are base mechs. As are marauders. They were introduced with the HM patch but everyone gets them.

Marauders have a perk that triples the to-hit of called shots. It’s, by far, the best perk in the game. Even if you’re not using called shot for head shots it allows you to focus specific sections a lot easier.

Other than that the only real value in called shots is to club a CT (from the front or rear) or to volume of fire a head with an UAC20++. (Or two of them if you have an Atlas II)

By base mechs I mean "mechs in the base game at launch".

Looking at the mech list they actually ended up adding quite a few variants and brand new mechs over all that DLC!

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    There's also the Flea that gets Targeting Baffles, making it harder to hit.

Assassin gets Intercept System that ignores some evasion pips on the target.

Rifleman gets Rangefinder Suite increasing sight range and reducing ranged fire penalties.

Archer gets Missilery Suite, a bonus to LRM missile clustering so most missiles hit the same section vs spreading over a mech. And a stability damage bonus for SRMs.

Bullshark gets the unique Thumper Cannon weapon that is better than the other mortars.

Raven gets a unique ECM suite that is better than the other separate ECM gear you can get.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    The Marauder not only gets the best perk in the game, the targeting bonus, but they also get one of the other best perks, a blanket damage reduction for your whole lance.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    The Marauder is also an excellent scout at that point in the game, with max JJ's you can fly around the map and get a shitload of pips. I keep mine stocked with the +vision headpiece and use it as a scout late game.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    plus marauders look cool

• Options
    Forgot about that one. I think one of the cyclops gets it too.

The archer and rifleman are also quite good if you can get them at a point where it matters. As the range bonus means that the rifleman can scout for you* and the archer can actually called shot effectively with LRM. Plus the clumping reduces the main disadvantage of LRMs and SRMs in that they’re low variance weapons. (That is, weapons generally trade DPRT and DPHT for lower variance. A bunch of SRM will have huge volley numbers but won’t disable as well as an AC20 simply because they will do 2x as much damage over 6x as many sections) I have talked about variance and how it’s a positive in this thread before so if you want some more info you can look up there. But in general this clustering advantage is really strong, just unfortunately on a 70 tonne rather than 100 tonne mech

Unfortunately without tonnage limitations a lot of these quickly fall by the wayside. Since they’re not max tonnage for their size class.

*you will still need another rangefinder on top of this because iirc lights get vision bonuses

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I'm not an expert at Battletech, but my lategame lance was two assaults, a Marauder, and another heavy. Having an Orion or somesuch to jump in and chomp on some side arcs with SMRs or whatever felt pretty handy.

• Options
    My lategame is usually something like

2 assaults, marauder, firestarter/royal griffin

The ability to backstab folks and the ability to easily scout for the marauder is super useful, moreso than another assault usually

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    4x Annihilator's with 4 UAC/10 each.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    some of these loadouts look really inefficient. a AC/2 weighs 6 tons and does 25 damage, an AC/5 weighs 8 tons and does 45 damage. so, basically never use an AC/2?

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    some of these loadouts look really inefficient. a AC/2 weighs 6 tons and does 25 damage, an AC/5 weighs 8 tons and does 45 damage. so, basically never use an AC/2?

AC/2s are garbage.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I think "late game" if you're talking Career mode is a rather poor descriptor since the game doesn't limit you to only playing high difficulty contracts. If I'm doing a 3 skull contract 15 years into a Career, I'm still not going to take any assaults because I find it a bit boring because it's too easy and too restrictive on tactics. If I'm doing a 5 skull Flashpoint, then yeah, I'll load up some assaults.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Here's my personal AC tier list:

Top tier:
    * UAC/2++ (70 damage for no weight and ridiculous range? YES PLEASE)

Very good:
    * AC/20
    * AC/10 +5 or +10 damage
    * UAC/5

Good:
    * AC/5
    * UAC/2

Mediocre:
    * AC/10
    * UAC/10 (except if you attach it to a mech with +ballistic damage, at which point it becomes very good)
    * UAC/20

Shit tier:
    * AC/2
    * All LBX

Orca on
  • Options
    The Marauder not only gets the best perk in the game, the targeting bonus, but they also get one of the other best perks, a blanket damage reduction for your whole lance.
    Isn't that by way of a cockpit equipment item? The damage reduction I mean.

• Options
    For all default mechs that mount an AC/2s, you're better off dismounting the AC/2s and replacing them with 1 or 2 AC/5s if you have them available.

The Jaegermech with 3x AC/5s ain't bad for example. Even better if you can get your hands on 2x UAC/5s or 4x UAC/2++ at which point it's a damned monster.

• Options
    Isn't that by way of a cockpit equipment item? The damage reduction I mean.

It's in the Lance Command module, which sits in IIRC the left shoulder?