Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• Options
    tosoraktosorak Registered User regular
    I just checked and I've got a standard 260 in it... I may not know what I'm doing when it comes to building mechs though!

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    tosorak wrote: »
    I just checked and I've got a standard 260 in it... I may not know what I'm doing when it comes to building mechs though!

If you changed the stock mech, having fun, you know what you are doing.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular

I’ll share my build when I’m on PC, but for CPLT-C4: 220 XL (2 heat sinks) or 225 XL (1 heat sink), Endo Steel, 4xLRM-15, BAP, TAG, shave head and leg armor to fill as much ammo as you feel comfortable.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »

I’ll share my build when I’m on PC, but for CPLT-C4: 220 XL (2 heat sinks) or 225 XL (1 heat sink), Endo Steel, 4xLRM-15, BAP, TAG, shave head and leg armor to fill as much ammo as you feel comfortable.

https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#9653b4ae_CPLT-C4

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular

I love finding one of these on the Battlefield in my light mech. Out of position on the other team, or raining down indirect damage to hide my backstab on my team.

• Options
    monkeykins wrote: »

I love finding one of these on the Battlefield in my light mech. Out of position on the other team, or raining down indirect damage to hide my backstab on my team.

Oh yeah, dropping that Catapult into quick play is effectively shitposting. :p

I built it for Faction in case the drop caller wants LRMs.

• Options
    Man fuck Polar Highlands. 500+ damage and dead within 3 seconds of seeing the first enemy.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    They need to redo Polar so the cover and sight lines are clearer and the trenches can actually be used as such. That map feels like it exists solely so LRMers have something to vote for.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    They need to redo Polar so the cover and sight lines are clearer and the trenches can actually be used as such. That map feels like it exists solely so LRMers have something to vote for.

I think it has gone through one or two pass(es) after people complained about it. Think PGI just leaves it now to make LRM people happy. It especially sucks if you are in a brawler Heavy (or heaven forbid Assault) and you see it get picked.

Also @monkeykins I awesomed your post, not because I didn't agree with you but because Polar really does need to get a better fix.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    A few tall icicles posted around the map, especially around the cap points in Conquest, would do wonders. A few trenches, perhaps?

• Options
    Polar needs to be removed and fully reworked.

• Options
    Side note: somebody is either trolling or theory crafting and created entries for Stone Rhino variants in MechDB

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Polar needs to be removed and fully reworked.

Not only does Polar fucking suck ass, but everyone fucking votes for it every damn fucking time.

I may be salty about a recent string of map choices.

• Options
    Polar is just about the only time I’ll vote for Domination, because at least there’s some cover thanks to that dish

• Options
    February Patch preview

Looks like they're not just turning off River City's day/night cycle, the time of day is fixed on all maps so no more "do I get night or day on this map?"

Also acknowledging that Polar's cover sucks

Also, playing with the Stone Rhino that was put into Mechdb (certainly not real), but man I really want this to be real and there's a build on one that looks awfully monstrous....

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    On the one hand I'm disappointed that none of the dynamic time maps got shifted to having a night time locked in. But on the other I can't think of any that would be good for. The fucking marsh map supposedly having the fog effect gone is good at least. I hate that map because more than any other I can't see shit that's going on, so much noise.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Also, playing with the Stone Rhino that was put into Mechdb (certainly not real), but man I really want this to be real and there's a build on one that looks awfully monstrous....

deltree-slash-component

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    On the one hand I'm disappointed that none of the dynamic time maps got shifted to having a night time locked in. But on the other I can't think of any that would be good for. The fucking marsh map supposedly having the fog effect gone is good at least. I hate that map because more than any other I can't see shit that's going on, so much noise.

Bummer, as a Light Pilot I loved the fog on Bog. It helped me hide and be super sneaky. Plus you can always run it in thermal and see through it.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »

deltree-slash-component

I'll see you and raise with a 100 pt double tap

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Side note: somebody is either trolling or theory crafting and created entries for Stone Rhino variants in MechDB

Looks like fun.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Henroid wrote: »
    Aww, Viridian is literally my favourite map. It has a central point that promotes brawling (fuck you, non-Domination Polar), you don't need jump jets to navigate it (fuck you, Canyon), there's lots of cover to break missile LOS, the fight ranges are short enough to where heat vision doesn't taper off into a black void if you're having trouble seeing shit, the map itself is both open to allow flanking and retreating while also having enough cover to execute them.

Forest Colony feels like a bad version of the same concept. You have a central point, but it's only accessible by jumpjets, so you always get fucking snipers and missile spammers up there you can't do anything about. It has foliage, but the only cover are narrow trees and the LOS is so long that you can't effectively use heat vision because it tapers off into blackness. It's open, but the plateaus are so huge that any sort of flanking would take far too long to actually be practical, so everyone just clumps up around the middle mountain.
    I used to hate Forest Colony (Classic) back in the 8v8 days, but these days I'll take it over the new version any time of day.

[edit] So this first match on Polar is precisely why I loathe this map.

Glal on
  • Options
    Sell me on ATMs. I see the builds on Grimmech all the time, but any time I look at them in game it always seems like cLRM or SRM are better? Mostly trying to figure out a Huntsman loadout that isn't just a kinda worse version of my Vapor Eagle.

• Options
    monkeykins wrote: »
    Sell me on ATMs. I see the builds on Grimmech all the time, but any time I look at them in game it always seems like cLRM or SRM are better? Mostly trying to figure out a Huntsman loadout that isn't just a kinda worse version of my Vapor Eagle.

At around 120m-270m each missile that connects is 3 damage. Two ATM-12s deal 72 damage in the sweet spot.

And that’s the major problem with the Vapor Eagle. It literally made almost every other Clan medium obsolete.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    ATMs give you the range flexibility of LRMs with the damage punch of SRMs. Like, firing them in the 1 damage per missile range (550m-1100m) isn't efficient, but at least it's an option, sometimes it's just one of those games. The 2 damage per missile range is already pretty nice (320m-500m) but oh boy, when you're at 120m-270m and doing 3 damage per missile? And you're shooting like 24 of them with a Huntsman, or 48 with a Supernova? You're shredding people.

They're all about good positioning and unlike LRMs encourage you to not just sit back, but don't have the SRMs' problem of "and then suddenly the missiles just explode harmlessly because the target walked back 5 feet". The one major drawback is that their flight curve is much shallower than LRMs', so you're not going to be raining down on people behind cover, you do need almost direct line of sight.

Always bring a Light Tag. Can your tag reach them? You're good, fire away.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I guess it would be nice to have SOMETHING to shoot on Polar. Normally I just have to sit behind a hill waiting for my team to all die. Or if it is an objective match, trying to get to the objective and dying in 3 seconds to LRM.

Holy cow, I'm a convert. 500 damage in a lopsided loss. 750 damage in a win. Just brutal at the proper distance.

Followed by a friendly Flea stripping most of the armor off one of my legs at the start of a match then telling me to "watch where I am walking"

monkeykins on
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    My profile says I have a 1.2 win ratio on Polar.... despite playing random brawler junk half the time. It's definitely one of my least favorite maps though. Like... even if it's just supposed to be good for LRMs it doesn't need to be that big, there's really no reason to tack a 4 minute trek through the snow to the start of every match.

• Options
    They have a bit of a learning curve to dial the ranges in and all that, but that first time you alpha some fool that figured running closer to a missile mech would save them and you just drill straight through their CT *chef kiss*

• Options
    They have a bit of a learning curve to dial the ranges in and all that, but that first time you alpha some fool that figured running closer to a missile mech would save them and you just drill straight through their CT *chef kiss*

It's not ATMs but I've been running a dumb SRM stalker with 4xSRM6+arty and 6 small lasers. It's *really* funny how fast it can drill through people if they enter the murder range. I've bullied into assaults who *had* team support and it can still just make a trade in like a 1v4 before it goes down.

• Options
    RawrBear wrote: »

It's not ATMs but I've been running a dumb SRM stalker with 4xSRM6+arty and 6 small lasers. It's *really* funny how fast it can drill through people if they enter the murder range. I've bullied into assaults who *had* team support and it can still just make a trade in like a 1v4 before it goes down.

I run mine off an old build where it is all SRM4s (I think), 6MLs (again I think) and ECM. It is so weird seeing people ignore me then suddenly go, "OH CRAP!" when I hit them with lots of missiles and lights.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

deltree-slash-component

Really think that one needs an Ultra AC/2, just so the whole family can come to the party.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    see317 wrote: »

deltree-slash-component

Really think that one needs an Ultra AC/2, just so the whole family can come to the party.

Lemme see what I can do...

XL285, shave a lot of armor and set to std armor, 2 tons of UAC/20, 4 tons each of UAC/5 and UAC/10, 1 ton UAC/2 for ammo.

Nobody on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Betsuni wrote: »

I run mine off an old build where it is all SRM4s (I think), 6MLs (again I think) and ECM. It is so weird seeing people ignore me then suddenly go, "OH CRAP!" when I hit them with lots of missiles and lights.

So I made a mistake. Mine is 2 MRM20s, 6ML and ECM.

STK-3FB(L)

I really need to fix the armor on this build.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

STK-3FB(L)

ECM is probably nice I'm running the 5S with a pair of AMS. But it'd be nice to be sneaky.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Been in a mechy mood and I never played a career in Battletech so I’m giving it a go.

Early mission, one skull difficulty. Trying to get to a hold area, and there’s 2 blips I can’t see over a hill crest.

‘Eh, one skull mission, how bad could they be?’

Walk my Commando up to the crest. Into the face of a Centurion. Who has the next activation.

AC10 tears off the right torso and arm of the Commando. Next activation, a Javelin jumps over and cores the Commando, killing the pilot.

Welcome back to Battletech, I guess?

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Been in a mechy mood and I never played a career in Battletech so I’m giving it a go.

Early mission, one skull difficulty. Trying to get to a hold area, and there’s 2 blips I can’t see over a hill crest.

‘Eh, one skull mission, how bad could they be?’

Walk my Commando up to the crest. Into the face of a Centurion. Who has the next activation.

AC10 tears off the right torso and arm of the Commando. Next activation, a Javelin jumps over and cores the Commando, killing the pilot.

Welcome back to Battletech, I guess?

Yup, sounds like Battletech!

• Options

STK-3FB(L)

ECM is probably nice I'm running the 5S with a pair of AMS. But it'd be nice to be sneaky.

Piloting a Stalker is halfway towards running ECM since everybody ignores you.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular

STK-3FB(L)

Why? Do they ignore I mean.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    stopgap wrote: »

STK-3FB(L)

Slow, can't turn, can't fight well, are basically fodder for any light that gets on their butt, and they tend to be driven by people who like to mount 6xLRM20 and sit in the back and alternate between launching their missiles into the hill in front of them and complaining about their allies not "holding locks," making them the least dangerous of any assault mech.

Until suddenly ... :D

• Options
    stopgap wrote: »

STK-3FB(L)

Mainly because it isn't a high priority threat compared to a Mad Cat Mk II, Fafnir, Marauder IIc, King Crab, Dire Wolf, Cyclops, Blood Asp, Annihilator, etc. so people focus on those before they consider you a major threat.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I leveled my Stalker (3H) with SRMs and MPLs, and man did people not expect that.

My record:
    b8qjkiwac9om.png

I ended up switching it to LRMs for faction (4x20), but that call has been rather rare.